Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Gold schedule change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Doblin wrote: »
    If RTE close down the lyric FM hq in Limerick it will probably be the end of Will Leahy's RTE Radio career

Who says the Limerick base will be shut down?..there are RTE studios in major towns and cities in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Have to say I’m loving RTE Gold at the weekends, Nails Mahoney, Al Dunne, Michael Comyns all top notch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doblin wrote: »
    If RTE close down the lyric FM hq in Limerick it will probably be the end of Will Leahy's RTE Radio career

RTE have studios (often in co-op with a college) in areas all over the country. Would be absolutely certain it would be retained - on the same site until it could be moved in to the media faculty of UL or LIT probably. They even have studios in Dundalk and Athlone which are both really not that long a motorway drive from Dublin!

I think they may have got rid of Letterkenny but I'm not even sure about that.

Rick O'Shea will be presenting The Book Show on Radio 1.
    Wonder this mean his hours on RTE Gold will be cut...probably!. He has a cushy number in RTE..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Batty Boy

Rick O'Shea will be presenting The Book Show on Radio 1.
    Wonder this mean his hours on RTE Gold will be cut...probably!. He has a cushy number in RTE..

He is an ideal candidate for compulsory redundancy.

• Advertisement

Ffs, that’s bad news about Gold closing, the only thing about RTÈ that I like. It’s something that could have been promoted and put on another outlet, it will be missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sad to see RTE Gold go. Thanks for all the trips down memory lane.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cant believe it..I remember John Clarke was one of the people who set RTE Gold up in May 2007.
    At that stage it had no live programming or even no pre recorded shows. Ireland Biggest Jukebox, when axed from 2FM in 2014, was the first presenter driven show if I remember correctly (albeit pre recorded).

Gutted the station will be off the air.

The least RTE can do now, is to continue the overnight GOLD service on RTE Radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would RTE Gold not get more listeners if it replaced 2fm on the FM slot?

I think it would

If you think about it, most of the songs (like them or not!) played on RTE Gold will probably never be heard on RTE Radio again.
    The other stations 2FM, Radio 1 and R Na G won't be playing them.

Yes - you can go to other on-line stations, You Tube or Spotify or raid your music collection on CD..but here else are you going to hear Nirvana next to Roger Whittaker !!?
    But there was something handy about RTE Gold and knowing your licence fee was going towards its funding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Would RTE Gold not get more listeners if it replaced 2fm on the FM slot?

I think it would

Absolutely. Not many, if any national stations are competing for a 30s & up music market. 2fm o did once, but not anymore.

Can't believe they're closing the one rte production I actually enjoy, typical.

RTE Gold is far superior than 4FM, Sunshine, Nova etc. and the locals.

Will alluded to this yesterday talking about the other stations. You just don't get the variety of music taht you get on Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neilgates

If you think about it, most of the songs (like them or not!) played on RTE Gold will probably never be heard on RTE Radio again.
    The other stations 2FM, Radio 1 and R Na G won't be playing them.

Yes - you can go to other on-line stations, You Tube or Spotify or raid your music collection on CD..but here else are you going to hear Nirvana next to Roger Whittaker !!?
    But there was something handy about RTE Gold and knowing your licence fee was going towards its funding

Nirvana next to Roger Whittaker? If you can receive FreeDAB then Sovereign Gold is the station for you.

neilgates wrote: »
    Nirvana next to Roger Whittaker? If you can receive FreeDAB then Sovereign Gold is the station for you.

Thanks but I prefer to hear this mix of artists on RTE Gold

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neilgates

Thanks but I prefer to hear this mix of artists on RTE Gold

You won't have that option soon unfortunately

No Mike Moloney on this evening on RTE Gold,wonder if he is the first casualty,his name isn't on the website as well!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    No Mike Moloney on this evening on RTE Gold,wonder if he is the first casualty,his name isn't on the website as well!

I thought I heard an ad for Aidan Leonard Biggest Jukebox on Sundays (that Mike has covered since start of the summer)

Mike had already a show 'sound of the 70s', so maybe it has something to do with Aidan returning from sick leave?

Michael Cahill was presenting the Biggest Jukebox today, not Mike Moloney or Aidan Leonard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Wavy wrote: »
    Will "full time solicitor" Leahy is pissed off because his time on the gravy train is almost up. Does he bare no shame drawing 70k per year of tax payers money ?

How is his time on the "gravy train" almost up so that he would be pissed .

If he's a staffer they can't just sack him

Hard to believe that RTE Gold is now on the air longer than Atlantic 252 was

• Advertisement

RTE Gold is being relayed on 1395 AM in Dublin at the moment

Some Gold presenters are saying it's their final shows next week.. is RTE Gold to close soon?

Probably going back to their original music only format until they finally close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jonny one

Some Gold presenters are saying it's their final shows next week.. is RTE Gold to close soon?

Which presenters?

Jonny one wrote: »
    Which presenters?

Eric Moore and Amanda fennelly is all I heard...But there may be others

• Registered Users Posts: 2 avidlistener

Long time reader but first post because avid listener to RTE gold but really love the shows at weekends. My understanding is that all the weekend presenters will lose their shows as RTE Gold will be automated at the weekends starting January. I heard yesterday that Eric’s, Marian’s and Micky Mac’s last shows are on Saturday the 28th of December and assume applies for all the weekend presenters.Really upset at this decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jonny one

Lol the €20 per show djs are the fullguys while Paul Crossan & William Leahy will continue to milk 68k each per year from the licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Jonny one wrote: »
    Lol the €20 per show djs are the fullguys while Paul Crossan & William Leahy will continue to milk 68k each per year from the licence fee.

Can you explain how it's "milked" from the license fee?

Seems all rte naysayers think that the only income rte has is licence fee.

It makes up just half their income and the biggest expense on the license fee is live TV sports.
    Radio gets very little.

Also, on circa 70k, you'd be paying about €20k tax - so their taxes are contributing to your future pension, your Healthcare, etc etc

So let's just cut the "license fee/tax payer" bullsh1t once and for all. It's rather tedious and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lord Nelson

In fairness, I'm just as happy with it going back to automation as the amount of mindless waffle seemed to be on the increase. The breakfast show in particular irks me.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I'm just as happy with it going back to automation as the amount of mindless waffle seemed to be on the increase. The breakfast show in particular irks me.

I thought they were closing dow Gold as well as the other online stations?..I agree..I liked it a lot more when there were no presenters...

Advertisement