Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new Irish support network anyone??

• 19-06-2018 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Has anyone else found it difficult to connect with others in the same boat when it comes to recovery and alcohol problems? Aside from AA there are little or no support networks either online or in person that help young people in particular young males. Sometimes it really helps to share my struggles with people who “get it” and live in Ireland and understand the culture and know what Coppers is!!

I am over 100 Days sober and would love to try and get something up and going. A supportive network either online or an occasional meet up that helps people by sharing experience tips etc to beat this problem. It doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom or steps. Something positive, something helpful. We are all at different stages in recovery and we can learn together.

Let me know if this is a good idea and something you would like to get involved in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

There were lots of suggestions given to you on the other thread , kinda weird you didn't acknowledge them.

And I am all for you doing your "thang", as they say, but maybe leave out the snide remarks about AA going forward as its already been established you don't really have much actual experience with it! AA isn't all "doom and gloom" and the steps are very helpful ----when actually taken, that is, lol ;)

Anyhow, good luck with your new project, hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

There are lots of non drinking clubs on meetup.com - I cant imagine a life of sitting around talking about not drinking being much fun. Maybe evenings with like minded people where you have new experiences in an alcohol free social and fun environment might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lady Mac

RockRoad18 wrote: »
    Has anyone else found it difficult to connect with others in the same boat when it comes to recovery and alcohol problems? Aside from AA there are little or no support networks either online or in person that help young people in particular young males. Sometimes it really helps to share my struggles with people who “get it” and live in Ireland and understand the culture and know what Coppers is!!

I am over 100 Days sober and would love to try and get something up and going. A supportive network either online or an occasional meet up that helps people by sharing experience tips etc to beat this problem. It doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom or steps. Something positive, something helpful. We are all at different stages in recovery and we can learn together.

Let me know if this is a good idea and something you would like to get involved in.

I think this sounds like a great idea. I've connected in a similar way with other women in sobriety or who are sober-curious. I think it's only natural that as more of us are choosing sobriety before we hit the typical rock bottoms we are going to need a range of ways to connect with other people.

I have also never found a 12-step meeting where there was anyone who was even close to my age (I'm in my early 30's). While I could relate to the feelings that the speakers talked about I came away from the meetings feeling a bit depressed. I'm very glad that I didn't go to these meetings in the early days because if I did then I would have almost certainly thought "I'm not that bad" and gone back to drinking. I have just celebrated 3 years of sobriety and have a great community of support online.

12-step is a great resource for many but it's not for everyone and I think that the more choice we have and the more we help each other to find our true path the better chance we have of reducing the number of people who become physically dependent in this country and reducing the shame that surrounds alcohol dependency in general.

Best of luck with this and hope you find your people!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭greenexile

RockRoad18 wrote: »

Hey, are you still interested in setting up a support group? I've set up a meet up group for women in recovery but would love to help setting up one for men and young people too as I think support groups that deviate from the traditional 12 Step concept are sorely missing here. You might let me know. :)

greenexile wrote: »
    Hey, are you still interested in setting up a support group? I've set up a meet up group for women in recovery but would love to help setting up one for men and young people too as I think support groups that deviate from the traditional 12 Step concept are sorely missing here. You might let me know. :)

Also my women in recovery meet up details can be found here https://www.meetup.com/Dublin-Women-s-Recovery-Group/

• Advertisement

There are lots of non drinking clubs on meetup.com - I cant imagine a life of sitting around talking about not drinking being much fun. Maybe evenings with like minded people where you have new experiences in an alcohol free social and fun environment might be worth a try.

Tbf I've been to a few recovery groups in the past and it's more of a forum to discuss recovery, rather than reminiscing about alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RockRoad18

Hi there,’

Yes I am definitely interested in setting something up! Would love to chat with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Missy99

Lady Mac wrote: »
    I think this sounds like a great idea. I've connected in a similar way with other women in sobriety or who are sober-curious. I think it's only natural that as more of us are choosing sobriety before we hit the typical rock bottoms we are going to need a range of ways to connect with other people.

I have also never found a 12-step meeting where there was anyone who was even close to my age (I'm in my early 30's). While I could relate to the feelings that the speakers talked about I came away from the meetings feeling a bit depressed. I'm very glad that I didn't go to these meetings in the early days because if I did then I would have almost certainly thought "I'm not that bad" and gone back to drinking. I have just celebrated 3 years of sobriety and have a great community of support online.

12-step is a great resource for many but it's not for everyone and I think that the more choice we have and the more we help each other to find our true path the better chance we have of reducing the number of people who become physically dependent in this country and reducing the shame that surrounds alcohol dependency in general.

Best of luck with this and hope you find your people!

Hi
    Could I get info on the online communities I’m early 30s and at the start of my journey
    Well I just got through my first alcohol free weekend in a while xx

Hi Missy,

I have a private/secret FB group so if you'd like to join that just send me a private message and I can give you the details. I also set up a blog to share some of my favourite resources. I'm really busy with college and family life at the minute so haven't updated the blog for a while but I'll be getting back to it soon.

www.melivingfree.ie

Also my women in recovery meet up details can be found here https://www.meetup.com/Dublin-Women-s-Recovery-Group/

Just checked out your meetup and it looks great, well done! I can't make the next two because of college but am going to put the Aug 26th one in the diary and will pass on the details to the women in the FB group I'm in. Would love to chat to you in more depth about what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I find Lifering quite good. I've also heard good things about SMART recovery.

My problem was alcohol, but I attend many NA and CA meetings as well as AA meetings, as do many recovering alcoholics that I know ... it's all addiction, whatever the substance! Might be worth trying them out, every group has a different feel to it, you might connect better to some meetings than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cloneegirl

Where is the women in recovery group? Thanks in advance 😊

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I would also second Lifering. The have a completely different model of recovery to AA and are completely secular. 10 years going in Ireland and slowly growing. There a Lifering meeting every day in Dublin.

www.lifering.ie

AA can be quite off putting to many people. The first AA meeting I went to was full of older men who I had very little in common with except having a serious drink problem. But each AA group is different and there are many groups all over the country.

I go to both AA and Lifering. I wish you well in your endeavour OP. :)

Advertisement