Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Ivan incredulous that you should wash your hands every time you use the bathroom ? Even men he asks ? The doctor is like .....eh ...yes! Oh I thought it was only if we used a cubicle.

Why on earth would he think that him having his lad in his hand would be perfectly fine in terms of hygiene?

Dirty fecker

Oh.

My.

God.

One politician I won't shake hands with if he comes to the door canvassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Faugheen wrote:
    So no, what Henry does actually involves a lot of time, patience and charm in order to get people to talk so openly.
    Liking the show but literally turn it off when Henry comes on. That twat needs to be shown the door very quickly.

I'm with Faugheen on this. Think Henry provides a decent vox-pop element and I actually like his style, I think people relax with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Faugheen wrote: »
    And no, I'm not Henry, just find it hilarious that all the broadcasting experts in here think anybody could do what he does.

He's the poor man's Paddy O'Gorman. At least Paddy asks the questions with sincerity. Henry McKean asks every question with the same false enthusiasm no matter whether he is asking somebody if they were happy at winning the Lotto, or happy with having taken a p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Faugheen wrote: »
    This is the greatest load of nonsense I've ever read.

Whatever anyone thinks about Henry McKean, some of the reports he does involve extracting every bit of detail from random Joe Soaps on the streets.

Grab yourself a mic, find a topic, and go out and find people to talk about it. You'll find that you'll get about 20 people that will say no before anyone agrees to answer your questions. Not only that, that person could be the most boring in the world and give you one word answers.

So no, what Henry does actually involves a lot of time, patience and charm in order to get people to talk so openly.

And no, I'm not Henry, just find it hilarious that all the broadcasting experts in here think anybody could do what he does.

If that is the greatest load of nonsense you have ever read then be prepared, I can better it. I once joked that Henry was D.O'B's lovechild and that was the only reason Henry had a job all these years.

Not joking now but I think he is terrible. He seems nice but off. Like Harry Enfield had a character in 80/90s called Tim nice but dim. Harmless but not really good for anything. He also gets shunted round the schedule and all the presenters treat him with kid gloves.

I didnt know we needed to be broadcasters/journalists here to criticise or endorse any show. I fail to make this criteria

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    If that is the greatest load of nonsense you have ever read then be prepared, I can better it. I once joked that Henry was D.O'B's lovechild and that was the only reason Henry had a job all these years.

Not joking now but I think he is terrible. He seems nice but off. Like Harry Enfield had a character in 80/90s called Tim nice but dim. Harmless but not really good for anything. He also gets shunted round the schedule and all the presenters treat him with kid gloves.

I didnt know we needed to be broadcasters/journalists here to criticise or endorse any show. I fail to make this criteria

Like I said, whatever you may think of him, the suggestion that any student/intern could do his job is absolutely false.

I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch, but you will be hard pressed to find a reporter that can do a similar job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I just got the best end of that ....but who was that that walked off studio and banged the door whilst discussing hook controversy? Awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

My jaysus was in regards to Mary Coughlan's change of mind whether to allow Ivan to interview her or not. She entered the studio, made a wee speech, and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Birneybau wrote: »
    My jaysus was in regards to Mary Coughlan's change of mind whether to allow Ivan to interview her or not. She entered the studio, made a wee speech, and left.

Made a wee speech.... after she announced her website for ticket sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Ha heard that. Thought Ivan could have addressed it after she left rather than pretend it never happened but easier said than done when you're put on the spot like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Ha heard that. Thought Ivan could have addressed it after she left rather than pretend it never happened but easier said than done when you're put on the spot like that!

I thought he handled it very well.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Oh Jesus.

I switched off because I heard she was coming up. It will never be heard again!

She was on with PK recently. Newstalk have given this talentless person two prime time slots in the space of a couple of weeks and she repays them with that.

Obviously struggling to sell out the Droichead Arts Centre, Pavilion Theatre and other such major arenas nationwide.

She will trot out her past like it has some sort of relevance to what George said - it doesn't.

Thankfully she won't be getting another invite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Can someone tell me why she was on and why did she abandon ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I missed Mary this evening but I think it's sick that she plugged her own show. If she felt seriously about Hook's remarks she should have made her speech and made no reference to her commercial interests. Having said that I think it was unfair of her to protest on Ivan's show, it had nothing to do with him.

I remember when Ivan returned from his year's exile in Swansea, he said that George Hook helped to keep him sane with regular calls (& some visits, I think). He admitted that he had no contact with anyone else from Newstalk during that time but George had been a great friend. Ivan has his faults but unlike Chris, he didn't feel the need to kick his colleague and friend while he is down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

That was cringeworthy stuff by Mary Coughlan. She started her interview off with a speel about Hook, Yates tried to turn it back to her promo. She carried on, I switched to Drivetime. It was just plain rude behaviour.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

I had the misfortune of listening to this on Friday. He's even more of a hackneyed one-trick pony than I remembered. Do people really find him entertaining or insightful? I just find him incredibly dull, it's nothing to do with being "pc" or whatever, it's just that "the wife does all the housework while i watch the sports" gags lose any vague element of humour they might have once had after the 1,000th re-telling.

There was a time that newstalk would be the only station I'd listen to, now the only things I'm guaranteed won't want me to put my foot through the radio is off the ball and moncrief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Can Mary Coughlan promise to walk of every show she appears on from now on please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yates sounds distracted and rattled this evening. I'd say there must be some atmosphere in Newstalk at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Yates sounds distracted and rattled this evening. I'd say there must be some atmosphere in Newstalk at the moment.

If I were Ivan I would be worried. If Hook is forced out he will the next target.
    The relentless ideological purification brigade has their beady eye on him.

• Advertisement

quintana76 wrote: »
    If I were Ivan I would be worried. If Hook is forced out he will the next target.

Hadn't thought of that but it's true. Yates will def be "checking himself" before his casual remarks from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Hadn't thought of that but it's true. Yates will def be "checking himself" before his casual remarks from now on.

He asked Jessica Kelly if she preferred the hand job or the electric version last week.

Imagine he said that today!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why ? Has Ivan misspoke about the topic ? I personally think that Ivan has a bit more cop on than George hook about getting himself in trouble. I mean Ivan was a government minister so he knows a thing or two about avoiding making a tit of himself.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why ? Has Ivan misspoke about the topic ? I personally think that Ivan has a bit more cop on than George hook about getting himself in trouble. I mean Ivan was a government minister so he knows a thing or two about avoiding making a tit of himself.

He often made off the cuff remarks with sexual innuendo or very right wing type comments. Playing for laughs.

I'd say this episode with Hook will make him think twice from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

He often made off the cuff remarks with sexual innuendo or very right wing type comments. Playing for laughs.

I'd say this episode with Hook will make him think twice from now on.

Wonderful, we can look forward to the bland PC boredom noncense Radio like Chris and Sarah blurted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wonderful, we can look forward to the bland PC boredom noncense Radio like Chris and Sarah blurted out.

If that happens, then just come on boards for all the anti-PC twatishness you can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    If that happens, then just come on boards for all the anti-PC twatishness you can eat.

Explain please? The only comfort I have with all the pc bull**** is knowing that it will all come back to bite those who have attached themselves to this particular bandwagon - what goes around, comes around.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Explain please? The only comfort I have with all the pc bull**** is knowing that it will all come back to bite those who have attached themselves to this particular bandwagon - what goes around, comes around.

What does that even mean? That those who say that women shouldn't hold some responsibility for being raped will face calls for the sack?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Maybe Ivan can be sent to some kind of camp for reeducation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I listened for the longest period yet yesterday and I think he will become fairly tedious on his own, but then when John Drennon was added is was unlistenable with the two boyos trying to outdo each other with conspiracy and pretending they know something that no one else does.

Advertisement