Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    I don't mind Brian MacDonald on the podcast; He does offer an analysis from the Eastern European point of view on European and World Matters involving Russia. Its down to yourself on what's propaganda and what's true

He is far better than that sickening mouth piece Brendan O Neill. There has been quite a kickback on him and he does show up much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

RT has proven themselves over time to be a lot more reliable and accurate as a news source than their counterparts in the west.

b8edcfd6dd79720249b61853c178e8dca5-surejan.2x.h473.w710.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

RT has proven themselves over time to be a lot more reliable and accurate as a news source than their counterparts in the west.

Rt does have some good programs, but come on now......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Ken Early did an interview with some Russia Today propagandist last year. Ended pretty hilariously from what I recall. Worth checking out if there's any Second Captains World Service members here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Still Ill wrote: »
    Ken Early did an interview with some Russia Today propagandist last year. Ended pretty hilariously from what I recall. Worth checking out if there's any Second Captains World Service members here.

I assumed it was the same fella? Well spoken Irish lad working for RT in both cases.

• Advertisement

I assumed it was the same fella? Well spoken Irish lad working for RT in both cases.

I just checked there.. It was Ivor Crotty. Episode 848 if anyone's looking for it and it was actually from 2017. Wow.. Time flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Obrieski wrote: »
    Did I miss something? Went back and listened to it a couple of times? :confused:

https://files.fm/u/q8e93s3g

Even an old pro has the odd slip up.

That's showbiz baby.

Listened to the Russia Today guy just now. Thought he was pretty interesting. Not nearly as biased as Crotty was. Would like to hear more of him.

Eamon is really churning out the pods. Admirable work ethic at his age. There's a decent few I skip, but overall it's a great podcast. He covers a broad range of subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Listened to the Russia Today guy just now. Thought he was pretty interesting. Not nearly as biased as Crotty was. Would like to hear more of him.

Eamon is really churning out the pods. Admirable work ethic at his age. There's a decent few I skip, but overall it's a great podcast. He covers a broad range of subjects.

I think it's a really good podcast. Tend to skip over a bit of the soccer stuff as he usually brings on Giles and they relate everything to their playing days which is tedious but can be funny sometimes. They usually harp on about Pogba for a good 5 mins every time too.

• Advertisement

I think it's a really good podcast. Tend to skip over a bit of the soccer stuff as he usually brings on Giles and they relate everything to their playing days which is tedious but can be funny sometimes. They usually harp on about Pogba for a good 5 mins every time too.

Yeah, they had their 5 minute Pogfest in the latest one too.. Actually kinda hoping Pogba somehow turns into a world beater now just for how funny it'd be to listen to them. These were the lads who repeatedly rubbished Ronaldo to the point of farce.

Yeah, they had their 5 minute Pogfest in the latest one too.. Actually kinda hoping Pogba somehow turns into a world beater now just for how funny it'd be to listen to them. These were the lads who repeatedly rubbished Ronaldo to the point of farce.

Pogba is a world beater, a world beating spoofer that is !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I have a feeling Dunphy had Fisk on relatively recently. RIP Robert.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1322996570313416704?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

jaykay74 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1322996570313416704?s=20

Sad news. I used like listening to him on Newstalk. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Tork

2nd July is the last one my podcast app could find. The year is flying. RIP Robert indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Tork wrote: »
    2nd July is the last one my podcast app could find. The year is flying. RIP Robert indeed.

I think that might have been a repeat, during the holidays. Don't think I've heard Robert Fisk on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He was onto talk about kushner peace plan offer to Palestine. When was that? Fisk was criticizing the plan.

He was onto talk about kushner peace plan offer to Palestine. When was that? Fisk was criticizing the plan.

To me that sounded like a new interview had been spliced with an old one but I’m not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

I'd take most of what Bryan MacDonald says with a pinch of salt. He's not going to be overly critical of Putin and the Russian government. you dont bite the hand that feeds you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

bocaman wrote:
    I'd take most of what Bryan MacDonald says with a pinch of salt. He's not going to be overly critical of Putin and the Russian government. you dont bite the hand that feeds you.

In fairness he prefaced a lot of what he said as what Russian's were thinking or saying rather than his own opinion.

Thought it was interesting that Russia would rather see Trump gone as they cant get any deals done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Niall Stanage wrong again.

At least he’s consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Niall Stanage wrong again.

At least he’s consistent.

How was he wrong? He has consistently said that Biden was favoured, but it would be very close. He also said that the likelihood was that Trump would lead on election night and then the postal votes would start to come in, which is exactly what has happened.

I also think he is conflicted by having Tesco as a sponsor. I'd doubt that Tesco would indulge Eamonn having some like Marcus De Bruin giving a contrary opinion on the COVID situation. It wouldn't make sense for them to have Eamonn read out a message asking customers to leave the Tesco deliveries to the older people, and then he has a guest on questioning the whole COVID situation.

You can have an independent podcast, or you can have a sponsored podcast, but you can't have both. And Eamonn has always known which side his bread is buttered on.

The fact that you know its Tesco sponsoring is the reason why they sponsor it.
    Who listens to Dunphy? that's who Tesco want to target

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I often give out about Giles and Dunphy but I thought the pod about Nobby Stiles was very nicely put together. Mixture of old memories together, world cup 66, how they were treated and the tough impact of dementia. Emotional stuff really and they held it together well given how close Giles and Stiles were (Stiles married to his sister).

I know people here aren't his biggest fan but Tomas Ryan continues to be the commentator that makes the most sense to me. I wish we could follow a bolder strategy like many other countries did such as Australia. Instead we're going to be in perpetual rolling lockdowns for the next year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I know people here aren't his biggest fan but Tomas Ryan continues to be the commentator that makes the most sense to me. I wish we could follow a bolder strategy like many other countries did such as Australia. Instead we're going to be in perpetual rolling lockdowns for the next year at least.

Yes. Even if you don't agree with him on the best strategy he's very informative on laying out the status quo without purposelessly pointing fingers, and his predictions on the trajectory of numbers seem pretty bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I often give out about Giles and Dunphy but I thought the pod about Nobby Stiles was very nicely put together. Mixture of old memories together, world cup 66, how they were treated and the tough impact of dementia. Emotional stuff really and they held it together well given how close Giles and Stiles were (Stiles married to his sister).

Yep it was a nice tribute to stiles in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

For once Dunphy didn't blame the young people. He seems so disgusted that people wanted to celebrate Christmas. I swear he wants us to lockdown for forever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd absolutely love to shut the borders too.

It's just that I know we'll never be able to.

That's what annoys me about Ryan, he knows this aswell yet continues to beat the same drum every week.

• Advertisement

El Sueño wrote: »
    I'd absolutely love to shut the borders too.

It's just that I know we'll never be able to.

That's what annoys me about Ryan, he knows this aswell yet continues to beat the same drum every week.

I'm not sure I want to get into all this again but...

How do you know we would never be able to? It would certainly be very difficult but all I hear is excuses. He went into detail regarding the situation with NI on the latest podcast. My day-to-day has nothing to do with borders or how the EU operates so maybe I am ignorant to how it's literally impossible.

Advertisement