Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HKC Quantum 70 Battery Replacement

• 12-12-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I've had this system for 4 years, and for the last 6 months or so it's been telling me I need to replace they battery whenever it is unset:
    "control panel internal battery pack needs replacing"
    The people I got it from wanted £100 + £30 for the battery +VAT to come and do it and, having looked into it, I could see it appeared to be  a 2 minute job.
    I ordered a replacement battery, and have just put it in, but when unsetting it, I'm still getting the same message.
    So as I see it, there are 3 options:
    1) The replacement battery is a dud (was bought from a reputable source)
    2) There is some other fault with the Panel - not necessarily the battery
    3) There is some kind of secret alarm engineer code/trick to reset the message.
    I personally think it is option 3 (in which case can someone share it?), but wondering what others thought likely?
    Thanks
    Pete

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Those panels have a timer which alerts for a new battery after 3 years regardless of the status of the battery.
    You will need the engineer code to reset the timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

MacPlum wrote: »
    Hi
    I've had this system for 4 years, and for the last 6 months or so it's been telling me I need to replace they battery whenever it is unset:
    "control panel internal battery pack needs replacing"
    The people I got it from wanted £100 + £30 for the battery +VAT to come and do it and, having looked into it, I could see it appeared to be  a 2 minute job.
    I ordered a replacement battery, and have just put it in, but when unsetting it, I'm still getting the same message.
    So as I see it, there are 3 options:
    1) The replacement battery is a dud (was bought from a reputable source)
    2) There is some other fault with the Panel - not necessarily the battery
    3) There is some kind of secret alarm engineer code/trick to reset the message.
    I personally think it is option 3 (in which case can someone share it?), but wondering what others thought likely?
    Thanks
    Pete

You would need the engineer code to reset the timer.
    If you try a default on the system and it is not engineer locked you can just reset the codes to gain engineer access.

If you do need to get an engineer out then I would advise getting the latest software installed on your system. This will allow a new battery be replaced and a reset of the timer with no need for it to be done in engineer mode.
    Also, id request the engineer code while he is doing same.
    If you ever have any other issues you want to repair yourself you will have the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 king_pugwash

Hi KoolKid,
    My alarm was installed in August 2013 and the Control Panel Internal Battery Pack needs replacing.
    Please can you PM me the manual so I can DIM...Do-It-Meself...Cheers and Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PMed you that manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 king_pugwash

Thanks KoolKid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi KoolKid,
    My alarm was installed in August 2013 and the Control Panel Internal Battery Pack needs replacing.
    Please can you PM me the manual so I can DIM...Do-It-Meself...Cheers and Thanks

mine is the same now.

Did you change it, was it easy ? where did you ge the battery

Cheers

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Batteries are available from most suppliers.
    However you may need engineer access to reset the timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dubtommy

Could someone PM the Quantum manual please? Need to replace internal battery pack - have engineer code so hopefully should be relatively easy? Thanks

PMed you that manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thehyperborean

KoolKid wrote: »
    PMed you that manual.

Hi, would it be possible to get a cooy of that manual too please, I have the same message playing every time I switch off the alarm and its driving my wife nuts 😣 cheers!

• Advertisement

Hi, would it be possible to get a cooy of that manual too please, I have the same message playing every time I switch off the alarm and its driving my wife nuts 😣 cheers!

Have you the engineer code to reset the timer?

altor wrote: »
    Have you the engineer code to reset the timer?

I think so, the engineer wrote it down for me wheb I had it installed so just have to dig it out. I tried to remove the battery recently by turning off the electricity as I was afraid to get a shock but it caused ny gas heating to have issues so I thought it best to use the manual if there is one.

I think so, the engineer wrote it down for me wheb I had it installed so just have to dig it out. I tried to remove the battery recently by turning off the electricity as I was afraid to get a shock but it caused ny gas heating to have issues so I thought it best to use the manual if there is one.

No need to open the unit to reset the timer.
    Enter engineer code, authorized by, user code.
    Service menu, yes, engineer tools menu, yes, battery menu, yes.
    Replace battery.
    This resets the time.

Press quit till you see exit engineering, then press yes.

No need to open the unit to reset the timer.
    Enter engineer code, authorized by, user code.
    Service menu, yes, engineer tools menu, yes, battery menu, yes.
    Replace battery.
    This resets the time.

Press quit till you see exit engineering, then press yes.

Awesome thank you so much! Does the battery not need to be replaced then? I've had it around three years and the alarm is used daily.

Awesome thank you so much! Does the battery not need to be replaced then? I've had it around three years and the alarm is used daily.

Hopefully you have the engineer code now to do the reset.
    The back up battery pack contains NiMh rechargeable batteries, they have a limited lifespan once on constant charge.
    HKC recommends they be replaced every 3 years, thats why the timer is set at same.

Hopefully you have the engineer code now to do the reset.
    The back up battery pack contains NiMh rechargeable batteries, they have a limited lifespan once on constant charge.
    HKC recommends they be replaced every 3 years, thats why the timer is set at same.

Makes sense, thanks for all the help!

I PMed you that manual.
    In Engineer goto Service Menu> Engineer Tools Menu >Battery menu >Replace Battery pack.

Makes sense, thanks for all the help!

You're welcome, any other questions let us know.

You're welcome, any other questions let us know.

That worked!! The message is gone, thank you! One last thing if you dont mind, and sorry for annoying you, when I have a replacement battery pack can I just pull the battery out then use the reset peocess you sent me or do I need to do something first?

Thats pretty much it.And reset the timer.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Thats pretty much it.And reset the timer.

Brilliant, thanks again.

No problem. Happy reading.

That worked!! The message is gone, thank you! One last thing if you dont mind, and sorry for annoying you, when I have a replacement battery pack can I just pull the battery out then use the reset peocess you sent me or do I need to do something first?

Yes, take the old one out and reset the timer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LindaSc01

Hi. I am having the same problem. Can you pm me the manual also for replacing the. Battery pack? How do I get the engineer code? Thank you

You will need to contact your installer for the engineer code. Unfortunately we are no longer allowed offer help on Boards.ie with User/Engineer codes.
    If you get engineer access.../
    In Engineer goto Service Menu> Engineer Tools Menu >Battery menu >Replace Battery pack.

PMed a link for the manual that might help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I have the engineers code. Just wondering where to source the replacement battery for hkc quantum 70.
    Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

100gSoma wrote: »
    I have the engineers code. Just wondering where to source the replacement battery for hkc quantum 70.
    Thanks guys.

Do you mean the one in the actual panel?

Thanks guys.

Most suppliers in the sticky here would have these. Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Heard back off my installer and will pick one up in Bray tomorrow.
    One final question. None of my wireless sensors need batteries yet, bit when they do, I'll replace myself. My question is, can I just open the sensor and swap it out? Or is there a menu option I need to access on the engineers menu before opening a sensor and replacing a battery.
    Thanks guys. Very helpful support on here

• Advertisement

Heard back off my installer and will pick one up in Bray tomorrow.
    One final question. None of my wireless sensors need batteries yet, bit when they do, I'll replace myself. My question is, can I just open the sensor and swap it out? Or is there a menu option I need to access on the engineers menu before opening a sensor and replacing a battery.
    Thanks guys. Very helpful support on here

Ive sensors in over 5 years with batteries still on 60% so should be another few years before you need to replace them.
    You can put the system in engineer mode, change the battery then when finished come out of engineer mode.

Advertisement