Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hive Active Heating etc

• 09-11-2016 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Recently had the Hive 2 installed by Bord Gais and so far very happy with it, no connectivity issues and the app is very user friendly. I'm using it several times a day at the moment and it's coming in very handy.

Also purchased a Hive tuneable/dimable bulb to play around with and despite the cost it's an interesting entry point into smart lighting. Bought this via Amazon as although you can get them here, they are far more expensive.

Considering getting a door sensor too so if anyone has any experience with them, please share!

Just wanted to start this thread for other Hive users to share issues, tips or general waffle.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

pm1977x wrote:
    Just wanted to start this thread for other Hive users to share issues, tips or general waffle.

Good stuff I've suggested this approach to the other mods and they are thinking about it. I have the GAA forum as an example where counties have their own mega threads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thanks for this. OP: how many zones do you have in your home? I'm interested in the Hive (far more so than the Nest or Netatmo) but I'm holding on as the multizone doesn't seem to be available in Ireland yet, or at least the Bord gais website has no mention of it. In your opinion would it be easy to add an additional thermostat after the BG install?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tallpaul wrote: »
    Thanks for this. OP: how many zones do you have in your home? I'm interested in the Hive (far more so than the Nest or Netatmo) but I'm holding on as the multizone doesn't seem to be available in Ireland yet, or at least the Bord gais website has no mention of it. In your opinion would it be easy to add an additional thermostat after the BG install?

You can get the multizone on Amazon for 99gbp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

ted1 wrote: »
    You can get the multizone on Amazon for 99gbp

You can? Is that the gen 1? The one I am looking at is £179.

Linky

Edit, ah the multi zone expansion, not the base unit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You can, we have multizone. for 2heat + 1water:

Additional Zone thermostate: Clicky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I have just the one zone with Hive2 controlling both heat + water or water on it's own. Based on my experience so far I'd say it would be extremely easy to add another zone once your plumbing is multizonal.

For anyone considering buying from Bord Gais, you don't need to be a customer and if your boiler is due a service as ours was they will do a service + Hive 2 with full install for €349 all in.

If you're handy with electrics and know your plumbing it may be cheaper to just buy the unit from Amazon.

One word of warning, initial BG guy who came to install it said that because so much of our wiring was out in the garage with our boiler that we could only have the Hive1 and no separate water control - what's the point!? A week later and a different extremely helpful BG guy spent a couple of hours problem solving it and figured out a workaround, stuck in a Hive 2 and it's all been plain sailing since, so beware lazy installers! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Graham wrote: »
    You can, we have multizone. for 2heat + 1water:

Additional Zone thermostate: Clicky

Thanks for this. How easy is it to install the additional thermo?

Thanks for this. How easy is it to install the additional thermo?

Incredibly easy. You hand the box to the sparky and say 'fit this please', 15 minutes later it's done :D

For a DIY install I'm not much help I'm afraid. There's not a huge amount to it if you already have zoned heating, remove the (2nd zone) existing time clock/controller and install the new one, removing any existing stat in the process.

Just to update, my door/window sensor arrived this week, finally got around to fitting it in the garage.

I have an alarm out there but wanted an extra layer of protection for the door (really just wanted a new smart toy, but whatever!)

Discovering it on the app was quick and painless. It feels a lot sturdier than the picture suggests and the larger bit is bigger than I expected. I tested it at various points around the door frame and even across the largest gap (approx 1 inch) it was detecting correctly. The nature of the double sided sticking strips provided means that if needed you could create an overhang to bridge a bit of a gap but wasn't necessary for me.

I chose to be notified by push notification via the app along with email, and both send within a second or two of the door opening. Within the app you can set up other recipes for the sensor, such as - if sensors open then turn heat on, or turn bulb on, none of which are much use to me at the moment - might be useful to trigger a Hive bulb in an attic or something?

You can schedule the sensor to alert you just as you schedule the heating, so if you're in and out at regular times you can schedule alerts off.

One big flaw - the notification noise wouldn't wake me if someone broke in during the night, so I started playing around with a way to make it sound an alarm of sorts. I downloaded the IFTT app and in it made this recipe:

IF THIS: Gmail - receives message from [hive address]

THEN THAT: Android - plays specific song

Had no songs on my phone so this bit was really annoying, eventually sorted it and obviously you could just download a siren or whatever you want to act as the alarm.

As a result I have a makeshift garage door alarm which will send me an email, a notification and play a song within seconds of the sensor being triggered (although the song bit takes longer while IFTT and Music apps play catch up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to control two heating zones plus hot water via Hive I would need:

Active Heating and Hot Water: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011B3J6B8/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    and
    Hive 2 - Active Heating Multizone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018E1SHQU/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Hoping either/both come up as deals on Amazon over the next few days!

Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to control two heating zones plus hot water via Hive I would need

You are right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

What's the deal with getting up an running with Hive if using an external oil burner? I'd be really interested in getting both my heating and water 'smartened' up and I'm due to get a new boiler fitted in a couple of weeks as part of a bathroom renovation. I really like the sound of the additional security capabilities pm1977x mentioned above also.

Shred wrote: »
    What's the deal with getting up an running with Hive if using an external oil burner? I'd be really interested in getting both my heating and water 'smartened' up and I'm due to get a new boiler fitted in a couple of weeks as part of a bathroom renovation. I really like the sound of the additional security capabilities pm1977x mentioned above also.

WHICH BOILERS WORK WITH THESE SYSTEMS?
    Hive and Nest cannot really be 100% specific about every boiler they support – there are a whole lot of boilers out there – but there are decent guidelines to follow.

Hive says any working gas or LPG heating system is supported, as well as some electric boilers. It suggests calling them if you have an oil boiler to find out if your system is suitable. It can work with some underfloor systems, but not ones that rely on electricity.

Nest says its system works with the following:

Combi and condensing boilers
    System and heat-only boilers
    Hydronic underfloor systems
    Air-source and ground-source heat pumps
    Switched live systems
    Low-voltage dry-contact systems
    Generally, though, compatibility should be very similar between the two systems, as it all hinges on the one component that "talks to" the boiler. Hive calls it a Receiver, while Nest refers to it as a Heat Link. This is the one part that really needs a qualified engineer to install.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/nest-vs-hive#702Quv5TWyRXd0vC.99

We have hive running a 3 zone (2h/1w) Grant external oil burner.

I've literally just been reading that article; it doesn't mater if the burner is external?

I've literally just been reading that article; it doesn't mater if the burner is external?

Nope, all the control is inside the house. Essentially you're just replacing your existing thermostat and the controllers that open/close zones.

Best to call Hive with your specific setup before buying.

Well I suppose what I'm getting at is the 'receiver' being installed external to the house doesn't cause any (communication) issues; I would assume it doesn't but I'm just making sure. I'm continuing to research the options as I get time; another question out of interest - why did you choose Hive over Nest?

Well I suppose what I'm getting at is the 'receiver' being installed external to the house doesn't cause any (communication) issues; I would assume it doesn't but I'm just making sure. I'm continuing to research the options as I get time; another question out of interest - why did you choose Hive over Nest?

Wifi range extenders should sort that, depending on distance.

I chose Hive as I specifically didn't want a 'learning' thermostat (Nest) as it doesn't suit my needs, but did want app functionality and additional smart options such as bulbs/sensors etc.

• Advertisement

pm1977x wrote: »
    Best to call Hive with your specific setup before buying.

Yes I will certainly be doing that before committing to anything but I'm just exploring the options in the meantime.

pm1977x wrote: »
    Wifi range extenders should sort that, depending on distance.

I chose Hive as I specifically didn't want a 'learning' thermostat (Nest) as it doesn't suit my needs, but did want app functionality and additional smart options such as bulbs/sensors etc.

Cheers, the burner would certainly be within wifi range alright, not taking into account the housing of the burner and any interference that may/may not cause however.

Why would you install the receiver outside the house? It's normal for even non-smart controllers to be inside.

Well I currently don't have a thermostat inside the house, each of the rads have thermostatic valves installed and my burner is powered straight from an AC mains plug internally connected through a bog standard timer. Is it not a case the received needs to be physically connected to the burner as per Nest's heat link?

Well I currently don't have a thermostat inside the house, each of the rads have thermostatic valves installed and my burner is powered straight from an AC mains plug internally connected through a bog standard timer. Is it not a case the received needs to be physically connected to the burner as per Nest's heat link?

The controller would probably go where your existing timer is.

For Nest, we replaced 1-for-1 the old timer with the heatlink.
    For Hive, we placed the controller where a timer would have otherwise gone.

So in my case, I'd simply be removing the AC plug off the cable from the burner and wiring straight into the controller? Apologies if this seems obvious, I'm in the process of locating full installation guides while juggling work atm!

So in my case, I'd simply be removing the AC plug off the cable from the burner and wiring straight into the controller? Apologies if this seems obvious, I'm in the process of locating full installation guides while juggling work atm!

There's slightly more to it than that if you have zones for heating/water but that's certainly the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

May be of interest but I got the Hive and a service from BG for 149 as long as I signed up for a 1 year contract

Graham wrote: »
    There's slightly more to it than that if you have zones for heating/water but that's certainly the gist of it.

Sound, thanks.

• Advertisement

Gmol wrote: »
    May be of interest but I got the Hive and a service from BG for 149 as long as I signed up for a 1 year contract

A good offer if you can avail of it, we couldn't being oil/electricity and if I remember correctly the 2nd heating zone added a fair chunk to the price making the offer less compelling either way.

Advertisement