Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Youthreach Resource Person

• 14-07-2016 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

It’s that time of year, when jobs are being advertised, and I’ve noticed some advertisements for resource persons in Youthreach. Some people might consider these, thinking it’s teaching, I would like to forewarn people, as someone else mentioned before, taking a resource persons job in Youthreach, is like career suicide, and very soon you can be boxed into a position, with few options out. If anyone is looking at these ads, they are designed to look like a teaching post, but it they are considered an administrative position within the ETB. Just consider the following before applying …
    o 37 hour week, which comprises of 20 teaching, and 17 hours supervision / administration.
    o 35 days holidays
    o Previous teaching experience will not be recognised for increments on the resource person salary scale.
    o Likewise teaching as a resource person, will not be recognised as teaching experience for increments on a post primary teaching scale.
    o You may be asked to teach QQI modules, Junior Cert, Leaving Cert Applied or even in some centres Leaving Cert – non of which will be recognised teaching experience.
    o ETB’s often require the following qualifications - level 8 (NQF) degree in the specified teaching subject area. A recognised Teaching Qualification for Post-Primary Sector, here is the rub, if you apply for a post in mainstream post primary within the ETB, experience as a resource person is not considered relevant experience as Youthreach is Further Education, and your application is unlikely to be shortlisted.

If you do, take up a position within Youthreach, as a resource person, request a union member to review the contract before signing, as all are different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

CraftySue wrote: »
    It’s that time of year, when jobs are being advertised, and I’ve noticed some advertisements for resource persons in Youthreach. Some people might consider these, thinking it’s teaching, I would like to forewarn people, as someone else mentioned before, taking a resource persons job in Youthreach, is like career suicide, and very soon you can be boxed into a position, with few options out. If anyone is looking at these ads, they are designed to look like a teaching post, but it they are considered an administrative position within the ETB. Just consider the following before applying …
    o 37 hour week, which comprises of 20 teaching, and 17 hours supervision / administration.
    o 35 days holidays
    o Previous teaching experience will not be recognised for increments on the resource person salary scale.
    o Likewise teaching as a resource person, will not be recognised as teaching experience for increments on a post primary teaching scale.
    o You may be asked to teach QQI modules, Junior Cert, Leaving Cert Applied or even in some centres Leaving Cert – non of which will be recognised teaching experience.
    o ETB’s often require the following qualifications - level 8 (NQF) degree in the specified teaching subject area. A recognised Teaching Qualification for Post-Primary Sector, here is the rub, if you apply for a post in mainstream post primary within the ETB, experience as a resource person is not considered relevant experience as Youthreach is Further Education, and your application is unlikely to be shortlisted.

If you do, take up a position within Youthreach, as a resource person, request a union member to review the contract before signing, as all are different.

Good of you to highlight this. What I noticed is that it's youthreach person job as opposed to teacher, yet in the adverts they required a teacher qualification and teaching council registration. Maybe a degree or postgrad diploma in youth work or further education would be be more suited for a youth resource person .

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

Fair play to OP for highlighting this. A YR resource person post has easily the worst terms and conditions of any in the education sector as I have highlighted before. Also note that some ETBs are advertising part time resource person posts which equate to about €14 p/h, compare this to the casual part time hourly rate in schools of €40.17.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For what can be some of the most demanding work in the education system, this is an absolute scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭namoosh

spurious wrote: »
    For what can be some of the most demanding work in the education system, this is an absolute scandal.
    It is the most demanding work in the educational system!

It would be great if everyone could raise these issues at the next union meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Some etbs have used this for non youthreach purposes. Admin, literacy organisers etc. the tui has as far as I know called a halt to this but the whole contract is a huge issue. Bring it too your ranch and make some noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 olliedel

Can anyone here tell me the difference between a "resource person" and a "resource worker" within the ETB?

I successfully applied for position of resource person, which I thought was 37 hours with 20 hours contact with 35 days holiday.
    However my contract (which I have not signed yet) Is for a resource worker and has 30 days holiday and a maximum of 15 contact hours including teaching prep.
    I feel the ETB have hoodwinked me into applying for a position which is made look like a teaching position.
    After one week in the job it is purely admin, my own desk in an office, the works. Apparently I will be getting 6 hours contact in the coming weeks.
    There is an embargo on hiring admin staff so this seems to be their way around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

Hi olliedel, are you working in a Youthreach ? It's usually 30 days holiday and 15 hours contact for the coordinator, which means your the boss ;). ETB have been using resource contracts for admin, but are not supposed to - if your in a union, you should contact them. But be aware even if you do end up teaching, its still considered admin, and not recognized anywhere - it's a complete mess.

I was working as a resource person in a youthreach in Dublin after failing to find a pro rata teaching job upon returning from the UK, even though I am qualified to teach maths and computing.
    I wished to move nearer to home so I applied for this "resource person" job.
    I am aware that resource teaching in youthreach is not recognized for your incremants etc. The core of the job I am doing now is admin, with a token 6 hours of contact thrown in.
    So in a nutshell what they have done is wrong?
    My best way to proceed is through a union?
    What can I expect to happen from here?
    I feel hard done by as I left a permanent contract in Dublin for this.

I would say contact the union as a resource person should have 35 days holidays +days allowed by the etb for midterms/ Christmas. From what I understand unions have been fighting the resource contract solely been used for admin, but the contract is so vague , to me its basically entails whatever the etb asks you to do. To be honest, if you understood that the contract does not relate to teaching, how can you be annoyed that your not teaching?

• Advertisement

To be honest, if you understood that the contract does not relate to teaching, how can you be annoyed that your not teaching?

I think you are missing the point of why I am annoyed. The job was advertised as resource person which equates to 35 days holidays and a MINIMUM of 20 hours teaching/contact. The remaining 17 hours are for prep, marking and admin if required.
    The job I am doing (resource worker) is 31 hours admin and 6 hours teaching.
    A resource worker contract states a MAXIMUM of 15 hours teaching which includes prep etc and has 30 days holidays.

olliedel wrote: »
    I am aware that resource teaching in youthreach is not recognized for your incremants etc.

My point was that it's not recognized as TEACHING. Contact can mean anything. Is it teaching or contact that's stated your contract. Are your subjects stated . Do contact the union, ASAP, as you have not signed the contract, and there are issues around holidays- the longer you work, means you are agreeing to the contract / you don't necessarily have to sign it . As they union told us, the etb can advertise it to look like a teaching job, they can advertise for teaching qualifications,they can advertise whatever holidays they want, but its the contract that matters - and if there are issues in relation to terms, you need to sort them now with via the union. It also looks like they gave you a coordinator contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

There are big differences between different ETBs on how they handle Youthreach contracts.
    Resource should have up to 20 hrs class contact and the remainder of 15 hrs admin tasks. It's actually 21 point something since the total weekly hrs is now 37 instead of 35.
    35 days holidays plus 5 days at Christmas and 2 days at Easter plus the bank holidays.
    Some ETBs have stated that for new staff they will never employ teachers again, only resource persons at point 1 of the new scale with no qualifications allowance. Personally I think we could be seeing the end of the Youthreach programme in the next couple of years as the messing around with contracts has left some centres seriously handicapped in terms of delivering any kind of a student centred programme compared to the more flexible new trendy Solas programmes out there now with mahoosive seemingly endless budgets and expendible subcontracted staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

There are big differences between different ETBs on how they handle Youthreach contracts.
    Resource should have up to 20 hrs class contact and the remainder of 15 hrs admin tasks. It's actually 21 point something since the total weekly hrs is now 37 instead of 35.
    35 days holidays plus 5 days at Christmas and 2 days at Easter plus the bank holidays.
    Some ETBs have stated that for new staff they will never employ teachers again, only resource persons at point 1 of the new scale with no qualifications allowance. Personally I think we could be seeing the end of the Youthreach programme in the next couple of years as the messing around with contracts has left some centres seriously handicapped in terms of delivering any kind of a student centred programme compared to the more flexible new trendy Solas programmes out there now with mahoosive seemingly endless budgets and expendible subcontracted staff.

can you clarify on the endlesss bugets?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Can anyone define admin duties?
    Are these hours non contact hours?
    Breakfast clubs break times etc are classified as contact hours right?

nifheorais wrote: »
    Can anyone define admin duties?
    Are these hours non contact hours?
    Breakfast clubs break times etc are classified as contact hours right?

Admin duties - pretty much anything other than student contact.
    Yes they are non contact hours
    Yes breakfast clubs / breaktimes would be contact hrs.

o 35 days holidays

Can't agree more with the above post. The resource person post is exploitation to the highest degree. Here are the cold hard facts:

A full time new entrant Youthreach Resource Person will work 553 hours more per annum, for €5,510 less than a full time new entrant Teacher.

Now 18+ students allowance will be increased to 193€ from September
    A new entrant (Resource) will not be making much more after tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

this is becoming more and more common. Very hard for the union to help you because people sign up and take the money . It can help if you can find out h ( which may require inside knowledge ) how the position is funded and what it was before .

Has there been any word yet on the Youthreach review yet - when is it to be published?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 19eighty4

Has there been any word yet on the Youthreach review yet - when is it to be published?

word on the grape vine is that it is being "held off" - its very uncertain to be honest...either way, i do believe that there is a hidden agenda!

Admin duties - pretty much anything other than student contact.
    Yes they are non contact hours
    Yes breakfast clubs / breaktimes would be contact hrs.
    Is this definition of class contact in all yr centres?

nifheorais wrote: »
    Is this definition of class contact in all yr centres?
    Centres operate very differently throughout the country.
    Hot off the press..... the 7 centres who will be taking part in the review were notified last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jomc94

I know I'm out of date on this thread but I have an interview this week for a youthreach resource person. I'm aware by reading this thread that it's not ideal for teaching but admin only and I am fine with that as I only have experience in admin and not teaching.
    Im just wondering has anyone previous experiences with interviews for this role or any advice on why or why not I should go for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bee07

Just wondering if you got the job ... Ive an interview ... like you I'm not a "teacher" , Im a tutor who had thought QQI computer applications, so am not worried about the accredited hours bit ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jomc9425

Bee07 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you got the job ... Ive an interview ... like you I'm not a "teacher" , Im a tutor who had thought QQI computer applications, so am not worried about the accredited hours bit ...

Hi. No I didn't get the job based on the fact my main experience was in admin only. They seemed to have their person selected for job by the time they even got to me as far as I remember going by what they said at the end of interview.
    Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deathofan80sman

o 35 days holidays

Hi.

Is the YRR role 'career suicide' for those pursuing teacher careers, or for all including non-teacher candidates? I am a year 2 Clerical Officer, and have a few interviews for Grade 4 positions this month in different departments. I have a Youthreach Resourse interview next week. I have strong tutoring experience from a few years ago, but have been strictly admin since joining the service.

Are there opportunities for advancement w/in Youthreach?

Has the culture changed much since this comment 4+ years ago?

Cheers.

Nothing has changed unfortunately.
    The division between the "haves" and the "have nots" grows deeper by the day.
    Those with the gold plated teacher contracts continue to enjoy their conditions and holidays (over a third of the year off) while often doing the bare minimum in their jobs. E.g. "I'm a teacher, I only teach my class".
    Those on Resource and coordinator roles continue to pick up the slack and bear all of the responsibilities and rubbish holidays.
    Please send help!

Nothing has changed unfortunately.
    The division between the "haves" and the "have nots" grows deeper by the day.
    Those with the gold plated teacher contracts continue to enjoy their conditions and holidays (over a third of the year off) while often doing the bare minimum in their jobs. E.g. "I'm a teacher, I only teach my class".
    Those on Resource and coordinator roles continue to pick up the slack and bear all of the responsibilities and rubbish holidays.
    Please send help!

Best thing to do is go into mainstream teaching. This is what I did, haven't looked back- better pay, less administrative work, better holidays, better pension at the end of the day, and improved self-worth. Resource role will never change, the Union has been bringing the same motions to congress for nearly 20 years to improve conditions for resource workers and nothing has ever happened, and never will.

• Advertisement

Hi.

Is the YRR role 'career suicide' for those pursuing teacher careers, or for all including non-teacher candidates? I am a year 2 Clerical Officer, and have a few interviews for Grade 4 positions this month in different departments. I have a Youthreach Resourse interview next week. I have strong tutoring experience from a few years ago, but have been strictly admin since joining the service.

Are there opportunities for advancement w/in Youthreach?

Has the culture changed much since this comment 4+ years ago?

Cheers.

Role is career suicide for those pursuing teacher careers. If your not a teachers, but have tutoring experience it may suit you. Main career advancement is to that of co-ordinator of te centre, which can come up from time to time, as there is a turnover of staff.

Advertisement