Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

The Hue dimmer stitch is wireless

Sh*t so they won't work with just normal lights? Balls!! Should have done more research!

Is there anyway to control normal lights with hue setup without having to replace every light buld in the house (Very Expensive)?

BobbyT28

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hue App/dimmer switch/sensors will only operate hue bulbs, so it does indeed get expensive, though the cheapest white bulbs are only around €20 now.

I have about 26 GU10 spots around my house, I'd love to put Hue's into them, but at €60 a pop for the colours, and about €35 for the white/ambiance, it will get really expensive!!

thats its downfall, it's a bloody expensive system to install completely, 1 or 2 bulbs per room is manageable, but when you get to multi bulb set ups like a kitchen with spots, the cost can sky rocket. (I've about 17 hue lights in all costing about €750, it's a lot of cash for some lightbulbs that I can control with my phone!)

maybe if I get a bonus next year, I'll splash out on 10 GU10's for the kitchen!

Hue App/dimmer switch/sensors will only operate hue bulbs, so it does indeed get expensive, though the cheapest white bulbs are only around €20 now.

I have about 26 GU10 spots around my house, I'd love to put Hue's into them, but at €60 a pop for the colours, and about €35 for the white/ambiance, it will get really expensive!!

thats its downfall, it's a bloody expensive system to install completely, 1 or 2 bulbs per room is manageable, but when you get to multi bulb set ups like a kitchen with spots, the cost can sky rocket. (I've about 17 hue lights in all costing about €750, it's a lot of cash for some lightbulbs that I can control with my phone!)

Dam!! Bit pissed at myself now!

Yeah its really expensive. Was hoping it would work on dimmer.

I have 16 spots to change in Kitchen and Living room. 16 x €60!

Any cheaper alternatives even for just the spots in the ceiling that would work with echo? Probably nothing compares to hue though!

Any birthdays, Anniverserys or Xmas's coming up i'll be getting GU10's!!:D:D

I did see these yesterday, meaning the white/ambiance GU10's are coming, and will be roughly half the price of the coloured ones, for 10 spots in the kitchen, you'd forever regret not getting the coloured bulbs!

I did see these yesterday, meaning the white/ambiance GU10's are coming, and will be roughly half the price of the coloured ones, for 10 spots in the kitchen, you'd forever regret not getting the coloured bulbs!

I know I would. Will just have to buy some ever so often to build up collection.

Am I right in thinking that the Hue bulds last 15,000hrs or 15 years?

BobbyT28

• Advertisement

Thats about what they say alright, and given they are LED lights, should last the full 15 years or so!!

I'm U.K. bound this week so might pick up a few GU10's for the feck of it!! £49.99 works out about €57~, so maybe get 4 and do the dining room side of my kitchen first, then in a few weeks/months, but the 6 needed for the kitchen side!
    I'm itching now to get them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Anyone got any ideas as to what the motion sensor can be practically used for?

Thats about what they say alright, and given they are LED lights, should last the full 15 years or so!!

I'm U.K. bound this week so might pick up a few GU10's for the feck of it!! £49.99 works out about €57~, so maybe get 4 and do the dining room side of my kitchen first, then in a few weeks/months, but the 6 needed for the kitchen side!
    I'm itching now to get them!!

I know the feeling. I might bite the bullet myself and just get the 6 for the Livingroom and maybe get the other 6 for the kitchen in about 6 months.

Caillte wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas as to what the motion sensor can be practically used for?

I'd put one in the kitchen and set it to come on/off at night between the hours of 10pm & 7am (when the lights would normally be off) if it was triggered by someone coming for a midnight drink or snack.

beyond that, I couldn't find it useful anywhere else, as I have all my other rooms/lights on timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Does anyone know how much energy Hue Bulbs consume when in standby?

• Advertisement

Caillte wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much energy Hue Bulbs consume when in standby?

I found this after a little google search;

When the bulb is on and set to maximum brightness, it consumes about 0.08-0.09 Amps (about 5.4 Watts). In the off state (but still drawing some power so that it can communicate with the network), each bulb draws around 0.01 to 0.02 Amps (about 0.4 Watts). As expected, even when the LEDs are off power draw is not zero. The ZigBee network controller and other circuitry need to remain active in order to listen for communications from the Bridge.

so they do use a little even when off, but at .4 watts per bulb, I can live with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I cant understand buying the white ones? surely the appeal is the different colours, id really regret it if I didn't get a few extra quid together for the colour ones. maybe its just me!

I was thinking about my house last night, anyone have an extractor fan hooked up to the light switch in their bathroom for the shower etc? how do you leave that light on!

I was thinking about my house last night, anyone have an extractor fan hooked up to the light switch in their bathroom for the shower etc? how do you leave that light on!

The only rooms I don't have Hue lights are the bathrooms, as those lights will need to be turned on/off sporadically (and sometimes in a hurry), so for me, hue has no place in my poopy palace.

I have white hue lights as my centre lights in rooms, as well as the front porch, but all the lamps and bedside lockers have colour bulbs. the spots will all have to be colour, maybe with the exception of the 4 on my landing, where white alone would be fine.

The only rooms I don't have Hue lights are the bathrooms, as those lights will need to be turned on/off sporadically (and sometimes in a hurry), so for me, hue has no place in my poopy palace.

I have white hue lights as my centre lights in rooms, as well as the front porch, but all the lamps and bedside lockers have colour bulbs. the spots will all have to be colour, maybe with the exception of the 4 on my landing, where white alone would be fine.

Sensors in the bathroom for when you are in a hurry haha

The power of this thread in action, as that is a genuinely good idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

These are handy for similar situations. They wont turn on during daylight hours, and not too bright to be sore on the eyes at night time

81MXbRkrJTL._SY679_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BZSV20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Sh*t so they won't work with just normal lights? Balls!! Should have done more research!

Is there anyway to control normal lights with hue setup without having to replace every light buld in the house (Very Expensive)?

BobbyT28

Not possible with Hue as it is the bulb themselves that communicate with the hub.

There is another system I've seen recently online, but the name escapes me. It has light fittings that are controllable and use regular bulbs. Not sure of its compability with other devices or systems.

Alternatively, if you have Smartthings, you could use an Aeotec smart switch which goes behind your regular walk switch or somewhere on the light power supply within range of the ST hub, and that makes that light controllable, on/off or dimmer

No cheap option I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just run an LED strip around the ceiling or cabinets / kickboard etc.

With LED lights it's cheaper to leave Them on, than buy and fit a sensor

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

I have a 2m strip + 2 x 1m extensions above my kitchen units.

In my opinion the strips need to be not seen, so just putting one around the ceiling wouldn't work for me!

In my opinion the strips need to be not seen, so just putting one around the ceiling wouldn't work for me!

You can get diffusers to hide them
    https://www.amazon.com/U-Shape-Aluminum-recessed-installation-Mounting/dp/B00F9Q602M

Would you have a picture of them on at night time above your Kitchen?

I hvae to run a new plug socket above my Kitchen to power my strip

Would you have a picture of them on at night time above your Kitchen?

I hvae to run a new plug socket above my Kitchen to power my strip

I did take a few photos the other night,
    As per the usual disclaimer, the pictures don't do it justice;

ted1 wrote: »

Nah, not for me, you'd still see the conduit, and in my opinion, it wouldn't look great.

I did take a few photos the other night,
    As per the usual disclaimer, the pictures don't do it justice;

Cheers. They look great. Now to get that Plug sorted out on top of Kitchen so I can power them up.

setup my 3 Hue's last night. Good god they are beautiful.

Can't beileve the bulbs stay so cool, I take it thats the LED.

Thanks
    BobbyT28

I was lucky in that the previous owners had the neighbour (an electrician) install a double socket up there, as I also have up there an Apple Airport Express connected to a set of laptop speakers to give me wireless audio streaming via any of my iDevices.

Dam!! Bit pissed at myself now!

Yeah its really expensive. Was hoping it would work on dimmer.

I have 16 spots to change in Kitchen and Living room. 16 x €60!

Any cheaper alternatives even for just the spots in the ceiling that would work with echo? Probably nothing compares to hue though!

you could try one of these.
    I havent looked but I bet there is a euro model

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C030/

Nah, not for me, you'd still see the conduit, and in my opinion, it wouldn't look great.

Yeh that would annoy me too. I got a new kitchen in last year, gonna get some of these strips next for above the units and maybe down at the kick boards. Was wondering too if you run an LED strip on the floor, say behind a couch , would it light the entire wall to the ceiling ? Or would that be asking too much ? Is that what this round lights you sit on the floor are for ?

• Advertisement

You'd get some light off a strip on the floor, but you wouldn't be lighting up the room with it,

Try it out first behind the couch when you get the strip for the kitchen, try it out in all the places you want to do it,

I was thinking about a strip on the outside edge at the back of my 55" TV, but where my TV is placed, it wouldn't look that great as half of it is against a wall, and half against a window!!

I've still not actually stuck my strip to the kitcken units, it's just sitting up there, as with it being the kitchen, I'm sure it will need a decent clean every year, so easier to just take it down and clean it rather than running along my counters with a wet cloth!!

Advertisement