Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thanks for the replys guys, you've eased my mind a bit, cant wait to get them now, ive plans to replace all the lights with them In the house and add a few strip lights around the place.

Have you seen these motion sensors Philips are releasing? auto switch on lights when there is movement, not out yet but on the way, they look cool.

http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/motion-sensor

They look the nuts, I hadn't seen them yet, but will most definitely get a few, providing they aren't too expensive! edit: €40 ish, isn't too bad, might get one for the kitchen.

Get a lightstrip, you won't regret it, took me 3 years (was a lot of cost to put down), but it's bloody awesome, I have it (with 2 1m extensions) over my kitchen units, and they give a great light effect to the kitchen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh we only got a new kitchen last year, the units almost go to the ceiling but there is enough room there to get a strip in and I think it would look great coming out from the top.

The sensors look great, could be real handy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

For motion sensing I'm now using these.
    They are a great little device (I have a SmartThings hub too which you'd need).
    They sense motion, LUX and temperature, so essentially they control my lighting, my nest (for upstairs) and they are used by SmartThings security to alert me if movement in my house when our phones are not at home.

Smartthings is a fantastic system when coupled with HUE.
    Amazon Echo could be next to add voice to my set up.

This game gets expensive, fast!

Oh, and if you want to keep your light switches but get some Philips HUE Dimmers, I'd sugest 3d printing the attached files. I've not printed them yet as can't find anywhere "reasonable" enough. Not my design btw, see the readme files for the creator.

Those light switch covers for the dimmer look pretty cool, if they turned out looking decent when printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Anyone having an issue here in relation to the lights coming on by themselves at random times? I manually reset the bridge which seems to have solved it but I have a feeling it was to with the out of home connection that was causing it.

• Advertisement

I've never experienced anything like you say!

Do you have any timers set? and are they set at random (i.e. to activate randomly up to 30 minutes either side of the actual time the timer is set for?)

When you say out of home connection, are you talking about geo-location? as the lights can come on/go off based on your proximity to your home if you have that setting turned on

Those light switch covers for the dimmer look pretty cool, if they turned out looking decent when printed.

Surely they'll appear on eBay or somewhere similar soon enough if there is enough interest on them, the beauty being they can be printed to order.

I've never experienced anything like you say!

Do you have any timers set? and are they set at random (i.e. to activate randomly up to 30 minutes either side of the actual time the timer is set for?)

When you say out of home connection, are you talking about geo-location? as the lights can come on/go off based on your proximity to your home if you have that setting turned on

I did have it connected to away on my nest so that random would enable for when I was away. Bu they were coming on when I was home. The bridge reset seemed to do the trick though. Will build up the connected apps to see which is causing the problem.

I don't have hue connected to a Nest (I only have a nest thermostat), and am only using it as a stand alone system.

Halloween coming soon so it'll be time to dust off the hueloween app and scare the ****e out of the kids knocking at the door again!
    (I sit downstairs with the app open on the phone, and play the sound effects through a bluetooth speaker on the box room window sill above the hall door, worked great last year, and with some additional apps to use this year for some of the other lights, I'm hoping to do it even better)

Andy,

I'd be interested to see this working short of calling out and going trick or treat. Sound like great fun.

• Advertisement

It really is good craic, I've had some great reactions from the kids trick or treating, and usually all the parents comment on how good it is (I've started something here that I'll have to keep doing now!!!)

I did it the first year, and had the sound going through the TV sound bar, with the front room window open, and just my 3 colour bulbs going.
    With that app though, each time you hit one of the 'scary' sound effects, the light effect that goes with it goes to a different bulb each time, so last year I just used 2 bulbs with the app, one in the hallway & one in the front room at the window, so as to give maximum visual effect when walking up the driveway, for sound, I have one of these connected via bluetooth (and for such a small speaker, it really packs a punch), and given its shape, it wedges nicely in the window frame with the window only having to be open about 5-6 cm.
    The other bulbs downstairs I'll just have on a low candle effect via another app, and for the 2 front facing bedrooms upstairs, I'll just make them red or orange, or maybe use another app to run some cool effects.

Have you seen these motion sensors Philips are releasing? auto switch on lights when there is movement, not out yet but on the way, they look cool.

http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/motion-sensor

They are available for pre order from Amazon, shipping tomorrow, and are coming in at €42.93

not great cost wise, but might still be worth a punt, I'd put it in the kitchen.

It really is good craic, I've had some great reactions from the kids trick or treating, and usually all the parents comment on how good it is (I've started something here that I'll have to keep doing now!!!)

I did it the first year, and had the sound going through the TV sound bar, with the front room window open, and just my 3 colour bulbs going.
    With that app though, each time you hit one of the 'scary' sound effects, the light effect that goes with it goes to a different bulb each time, so last year I just used 2 bulbs with the app, one in the hallway & one in the front room at the window, so as to give maximum visual effect when walking up the driveway, for sound, I have one of these connected via bluetooth (and for such a small speaker, it really packs a punch), and given its shape, it wedges nicely in the window frame with the window only having to be open about 5-6 cm.
    The other bulbs downstairs I'll just have on a low candle effect via another app, and for the 2 front facing bedrooms upstairs, I'll just make them red or orange, or maybe use another app to run some cool effects.

Sounds brilliant. What are these apps please?

The main one is Huelloween on iOS, it's paid app, (about €2.99, but can be got for about €5 in a group of apps).

other app I'd use would just be the main hue app, and then also onswitch which is quite good.

My two colour starter packs arrived on Friday, got them discounted one from amazon spain and one from Germany. They have different plugs on them, im thinking about just buying another starter pack with the normal plug on the bridge. the discount made it worth it for the bulbs alone. Im also waiting on the adapters for the bulbs because they are too big, does anyone know if Philips are going to release E17 size bulbs? it would be so much easier than using the adapters.

My two colour starter packs arrived on Friday, got them discounted one from amazon spain and one from Germany. They have different plugs on them, im thinking about just buying another starter pack with the normal plug on the bridge. the discount made it worth it for the bulbs alone.

so you got 2 bridges in the starter kits you bought?

I'd just get an adaptor, rather than buying a 3rd bridge as you only need 1 anyway!! (how much is the starter kit from Spain/Germany?)
    m also waiting on the adapters for the bulbs because they are too big, does anyone know if Philips are going to release E17 size bulbs? it would be so much easier than using the adapters.

I take it you mean E14? I doubt it.

you get the adaptors, and forget about them, I'm using a good few adaptors at this stage.

Just having a look around German Amazon there, and they appear to have White Ambiance GU10's!!!! which I didn't even know existed!!

can't see them on Apple or Amazon.co.uk (Apple in fact seem to be scaling down on the hue rage they provide from some reason, I guess its because they've lost some of their exclusivity with perviously being the only seller of hue)

so you got 2 bridges in the starter kits you bought?

I'd just get an adaptor, rather than buying a 3rd bridge as you only need 1 anyway!! (how much is the starter kit from Spain/Germany?)
    Yeh ive two bridges, I think it worked out cheaper getting the kit with 3 bulbs than just buying 3 bulbs separately anyways.

it was 127 euro from spain for 3 colour bulbs and a bridge.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B016151IRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I take it you mean E14? I doubt it.

why do you think they wouldn't do that size? Philips make led bulbs that size just not HUE ones, the reason id prefer just the bulbs is the adapters add a lot of length to the bulbs, plus id like ones that look like candles as the hue ones don't really go in chandelier type fixtures.

I was looking at these earlier, reckon ill get some of these too eventually so I can turn on devices as well as the lights, these are Bluetooth though I think. but I cant see myself ever having to turn anything on when im outside.

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/HKEH2B/A/elgato-eve-energy?fnode=7e

I don't know why really, It seems from the E27 & B22 bulbs that a lot of the tech inside them is housed in the base where they screw/click in to the socket!! maybe I'm wrong as I've not yet got hands on a GU10 Hue bulb.

Maybe they will go E14, I just can't see it happening!

yeh you could be right, they might not be able to fit it all in there, but id still prefer it if they and the bulb was longer and shaped like a candle rather than having to use adapters and the normal bulbs. they just don't look well in chandelier typed fixtures.

• Advertisement

I agree, surely if they can get all the tech into a GU10, they could get it into a small candle shaped E14.

only thing is it would break your heart even more paying 60 yoyo's on an even smaller bulb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Just picked up lightsrip plus in woddies. Was gonna get the extender too but the OH was with me!! Looking forward to getting my starter kit tomorrow.

Didn't know Woodies had the light strips, thought they just sold the white bulbs & dimmer kits

Didn't know Woodies had the light strips, thought they just sold the white bulbs & dimmer kits

Yep. €99 for the lightstrip plus bit over priced compared to Amazon but could just pick them up there.

Also had the the extenders.

I was just checking out the Philips hue facebook page regarding the e14 size bulbs. Loads of people asking for them and the latest comments from Philips seem to hint at an announcement soon.

Philips said in response to someone looking for them this week "for now let's say stay tuned for more info 😉"

They need to expand to all types & sizes if they really want it to grow,

The only reason I didn't pull the trigger in the first year the system was available was the fact that the fittings were only E27 and it would have been a pain to convert all my fittings (adaptors didn't occur to me at the time)(plus I was renting at the time), so when the OH bought it for my birthday, I just bought some new fittings/adaptors and I was away!

My mother has since gifted me some fine table lamps and they are E27 fittings in them, but given now that they do both E27 & B22 is a massive step in the right direction to get more into Ireland as I'd say about 99.99% of light fittings here are B22 (probably similar number in the U.K.)

Apple have the white ambiance lights at €34.95 and the light strip at €79.95 which I still think is the best price around (Amazon works out at €85.52 for the strip).

I don't need another light strip, but I want one.

I don't need another light strip, but I want one.

I know that feeling!

Starter pack arrived this morning.

ANy tips and tricks regarding setting up?

I have a dimmer switch in the front room controllering normal spots that doesn't work so was just going to use the Hue dimmer switch. Do I just wire it exactly like the dimmer switch I am replacing? Will it allow me to tell echo to lower lights in front room 50% etc

Thanks
    BobbyT28

• Advertisement

The Hue dimmer stitch is wireless

Advertisement