Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are they worse than crop dusters?

That's the burning question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If you can't get a set of DBs into position on your own and put them back on the floor in a controlled fashion after your set then you shouldn't be benching them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be fair I tend to go at lunchtime and want to burst through a session in 45 mins. It's a fairly common thing, could be 10 or 15 suits hanging up in the changing room at 12:30. If I couldn't get it done in an hour I'd have to question my intensity.
    If you can get 4-5 sets done for 4-5 exercises in 45 mins, the intensity (in terms of RPE) has to reduced a bit. Nothing wrong with working out like that, but equally nothing wrong with lifting a higher %load and taking a bit longer to recovery. why does everyone assess others in the gym based on their own goals?

JJayoo wrote: »
    If you can't get a set of DBs into position on your own and put them back on the floor in a controlled fashion after your set then you shouldn't be benching them

Whatever did happen to that video of you and the DB and the falling over hilarity?

The moral of that story was not to secure a DB with masking tape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

To be fair I tend to go at lunchtime and want to burst through a session in 45 mins. It's a fairly common thing, could be 10 or 15 suits hanging up in the changing room at 12:30. If I couldn't get it done in an hour I'd have to question my intensity.

I agree, no messing for me either,45 mins to an hour of a good paced session, this ol standing around and talking shiiiiiii*e does my head in!
    I don't chat anyone except myself in my head..because I am bit of a mental case you see....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Rancid protein farts.

Ya wouldn't let one rip in the work place so why do it in the gym, just cause there's other people around and the culprit can't always be identified doesn't make it alright. Go to the jacks if you have to let one off.

Gym farts are in a league of their own I swear, it's like a one of them foam parties except instead of lovely foam it's a filthy brown mist. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    fairly annoying alright but i do think people are rushing around too much. i spend a couple of hours in the gym at a time taking my time. yes that means you ll be waiting for me to finish with a piece of equipment. slow down and enjoy your work out. it isnt a race

I go at a pace that does allow me to enjoy my work out. I don't rush anywhere. I do my set, rest until I'm ready to go again, repeat as per routine and move onto next exercise.

If someone done a heavy set and they wanna rest a few mins to recover. That's no problem. I may wish that it was someone flying through them that is ahead of me. But that is what it is. However if someone is roaming off for a chat and throwing their towel on the bar it is uneccesary and annoying. It's giving no consideration to others at all. Or somebody using loads of equipment on a huge circuit during peak hours. Don't get all bent outta shape if I ask can I jump onto the squat rack while it lies unused for the next 10 mins after your set.

It's nice to be nice. Some people have other commitments and only have short windows to get to the gym. Others may have all the time in the world. If you wanna spend hours in the gym. That's cool. Do you. But the hours in the gym don't mean you gotta be hogging something that you could really surrender quicker if it looks like somebody is nearby waiting for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

As a woman, unsolicited advice is a biggie.

I'm returning to the gym after a caesarean section and a random young guy (who v clearly skips leg day a lot) decided to tell me what I was doing wrong. When I politely told him my particular situation & that after 10+ years of weight lifting, I know more or less what I'm doing, he told me to be grateful as I was getting his advice "for free". Grrr..

Another time, a guy actually asked me what the exercise I was doing was for, before proceeding to tell me I was using too heavy weights and the lighter ones were "over there".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Macha wrote: »

I'm returning to the gym after a caesarean section and a random young guy (who v clearly skips leg day a lot) decided to tell me what I was doing wrong. When I politely told him my particular situation & that after 10+ years of weight lifting, I know more or less what I'm doing, he told me to be grateful as I was getting his advice "for free". Grrr..

Another time, a guy actually asked me what the exercise I was doing was for, before proceeding to tell me I was using too heavy weights and the lighter ones were "over there".

Wankers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Macha wrote: »

Well ya know if a couple of people have said it by now... :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Heh. Wait, I AM the common denominator here! In fairness, most of the other guys in the weights section visibly cringe when this happens, which makes it a little easier to deal with.

Another one that annoys me (but doesn't affect me) is seeing guys show a woman how to use free weights (great stuff) but only shows them upper body exercises /v light weights/poor form. Her own fault though as there's plenty of decent advice on the Internet.

Hogging equipment /space and working in without asking are other ones that grind my gears. Ask nicely and I'll always say yes, unless I'm doing a timed circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Left field answer.....

Music selection. I'd rather listen to nothing, but I use an iPod to drown out the infinite loop of inanely shyte gym music. Honestly. Who would actually choose that cr4p? Anybody who would should be permanently banned from (a) the gym, (b) ever leaving the house, and (c) breeding.

And don't get me started on the 'shyte music to 11, when the spin classes start...

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

endacl wrote: »
    Left field answer.....

Music selection. I'd rather listen to nothing, but I use an iPod to drown out the infinite loop of inanely shyte gym music. Honestly. Who would actually choose that cr4p? Anybody who would should be permanently banned from (a) the gym, (b) ever leaving the house, and (c) breeding.

And don't get me started on the 'shyte music to 11, when the spin classes start...

:mad:

Personal Trainers using their own music for classes on the gym floor.
    They use a monster speaker, turned up loud to drown out the music already playing in the gym.
    No consideration for other members not in the class that don't want their ear drums by 2 lots of crappy music

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like our gyms music
    Don't kill me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Regarding the bar slamming... For deadlifts and barbell rows, I tend to not lower it down slowly and it is kinda loud. I never let it fall out of my hands and always drop with it. Is that frowned upon? If I lower slowly, I tend to get lower back ache.

I too find it incredibly difficult to slowly lower a deadlift to the ground afterwards. Always a bit concious of the noise it is making!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Regarding the bar slamming... For deadlifts and barbell rows, I tend to not lower it down slowly and it is kinda loud. I never let it fall out of my hands and always drop with it. Is that frowned upon? If I lower slowly, I tend to get lower back ache.

A 'controlled' descent is preferred. So it's not just dropping it but at the same time not lowering it so that it takes any longer than a 1 count. Doing so would **** up your back and I'd rather people hate me for making noise than being stuck in bed with a mangled back.

Same goes for DB's, I'll lower them as controlled as possible but I'm not risking my rotator cuff for quietness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

bluewolf wrote: »
    I like our gyms music
    Don't kill me :o

I'll just go ahead and presume your gym's music is not at all like my gym's music, because I like you.

If it is like my gym's music you're a bad bluewolf and you should feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭COH

The gym where I work implemented a system whereby the members could choose the music via an app

Guess what happened?

Absolute chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Women walking on the tredmills reading books. Moved to a different part of London a year ago and my new gym doesn't have any such behavior - the last place I was in was a more expensive area and you got a lot of middle class girls/women using the gym, especially after Christmas. Went in one night and out of the 5 rowing machines, only 1 had a working digital interface. All the others were free, but the one I wanted to use had a woman using it who had some sort of a tablet down over the control interface with headphones on watching some crap on Netflicks. Maybe it was the area itself, but there were a hell of a lot of women using that gym who thought that by going to the gym and walking on the tredmill or cycling at the lowest possible resistance was going to make them in any way fit or lose the weight they were carrying. I didnt notice it with the blokes that went in there though I'm sure there had to have been one or two slouchers - but the women stuck out a mile. I ended up hating the place.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it's been mentioned but twaats that don't bring a towel to the gym, and wankbags who feel the need to do their ****ty curls right in front of the dumbbell rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

COH wrote: »
    The gym where I work implemented a system whereby the members could choose the music via an app

Guess what happened?

Absolute chaos.

Annoying gym behaviour - idiots who bring their phones into the gym and sit playing with their silly apps.

People who spend time on their phone while on a machine, bench, mat, or anywhere else that someone else could use.

Feck off with your Facebook. You can do it elsewhere FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spideygirl09

One woman in the gym I go to, undresses after a non existent workout, walks to the toilet in the nip with no towel, squirts some soap from the dispenser and rubs it on herself while walking to the shower. Gets in the shower and is out within a minute again with no towel, dragging water all over the floor!

Hogging the shower by putting a towel over the door while you go and get undressed, could be 2/3 people waiting for a shower.

Men who wear shorts and then leggings underneath them.....what's the point?

Men who workout in 2s or 3s and just spend their time looking at themselves in the mirror and watching each other lift weights, I could think of better things to be doing at 6.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

A staggering amount of easily annoyed people on this thread... we all have to share this big spinnin' rock, folks... let's just get on with it and try not to let the person who gyms differently than you ruin your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

People who spend time on their phone while on a machine, bench, mat, or anywhere else that someone else could use.

Feck off with your Facebook. You can do it elsewhere FFS.

I'm on my phone after each exercise to record the weight and reps on a app, probably looks like i'm texting etc, i'd say a lot of the people holding phones are doing something similar

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Whatever happened to that old thread? I loved that thread.

Anyway, wanted it back because it's entertaining reading. I'm finding it hard to get the ball rolling because at 6.30am there's not much in the way of annoying behaviour in my gym. The usual plates not returned to racks or whatever. Or people splashing big gross wet footprints around the place after the shower.

What new horror stories have we for 2015?

The old one was killed with fire, as it deserved to be. I'm not convinced this one should exist give how the last one went.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

kstand wrote: »
    Women walking on the tredmills reading books. Moved to a different part of London a year ago and my new gym doesn't have any such behavior - the last place I was in was a more expensive area and you got a lot of middle class girls/women using the gym, especially after Christmas. Went in one night and out of the 5 rowing machines, only 1 had a working digital interface. All the others were free, but the one I wanted to use had a woman using it who had some sort of a tablet down over the control interface with headphones on watching some crap on Netflicks. Maybe it was the area itself, but there were a hell of a lot of women using that gym who thought that by going to the gym and walking on the tredmill or cycling at the lowest possible resistance was going to make them in any way fit or lose the weight they were carrying. I didnt notice it with the blokes that went in there though I'm sure there had to have been one or two slouchers - but the women stuck out a mile. I ended up hating the place.

I always read when Im on the crosstrainer as I'm on it for over 50 mins at 700 calories+ burned (machine estimate I imagine it's lower) and it gets ****ing boring!
    Probably read a dozen books like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

My pet peeve is people that train so skinking of BO that I can taste it

Usually said smelly fellow will pass by you just before some good looking girl sits on the next bench, making her think you skink like a tramp.

I hate skinky ppl :)

Advertisement