Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But why wouldn't he plug it?

Of course he'd cash in on his profile/ presence on radio - he'd be a fool not to! His is a personality show (his), the whole thing is based on him and his opinions and views. The book is one snall part of that. (Who's Patrick btw? Which president?)

JD is a different kettle of fish which I've given up on these days for the sake of my blood pressure. That's meant to be a caller driven show in which JD is merely a facilitator - hah!!!!

The two simply cannot be compared.

they are both over paid license fee bleeders that would struggle to find similar work/pay in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus the bitterness in this and other radio threads world bring you out in a rash.

I used to look forward to informed/opinionated discussion about programmes in these threads but all they contain these days is bile (I'm excluding De Lahvline thread from that generalisation).

I'll leave ye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

they are both over paid license fee bleeders that would struggle to find similar work/pay in the private sector.

What I always say in these situations is yes they would struggle to get the same pay in the private sector and yes, they are overpaid....but... they have the gig,and if there are people out there who think they can knock them off their perch- go for it!!!

We might say that ...who.... Diego Costa is overpaid for example, but his job is open to almost any footballer in the world, he is holding on to it, take it off him if you are better!!!

Bit of a messy analogy I know, but these people in RTE like Tubridy and Duffy do have some talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Jaysus the bitterness in this and other radio threads world bring you out in a rash.

I used to look forward to informed/opinionated discussion about programmes in these threads but all they contain these days is bile (I'm excluding De Lahvline thread from that generalisation).

I'll leave ye to it.

The Liveline thread is 90% bile and bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,557 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Is Ryan's book a pop-up kids book?

Pull the tab to reveal a grassy knoll and a book depository.

That would be cool. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Brian Scan wrote: »

Which is only to be expected given the farce that the programme has become, and you forgot to mention the humour in the thread.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Which is only to be expected given the farce that the programme has become, and you forgot to mention the humour in the thread.

That would be the 10% which is not bile and bitterness.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Del.Monte wrote: »

Apologies DM you're right, the humour far outweighs the bile and bitterness.
    Clown leaving poisons around the place.

madanall wrote: »
    Can I have an interpreter please ?
    Dan Jaman wrote: »
    This lad's trying, but he's even less funnier.
    dvcireland wrote: »
    With an accent like ? Whoy isn't this guy reading da news ?
    Did he not read the manual that came with the kid?
    people before tablets
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Joe, it's a disgrace, they didn't have a job waiting for me when I came back to the country and give me the money I'm entitled to, skipping ahead of everyone else in Ireland waiting for a fulltime position for years.
    You made your bed mate :) Now lie in it.
    2smiggy wrote: »
    Tough sh?t , so to speak
    don't bother your arse comin' back then you bleedin' whingebag.

stay where you are if its so good
    I want to be rewarded for coming back Joe
    "Im in an awful dilemma with my big salary Joe"!!!!
    Does any whinger calling from US/UK/Australia get on the air straight away to air their grievance?
    you ran out of the country in her time of need and now you come crawling back
    Wait till he gets back and wants to insure his car. Can we campaign to keep him and his moaning over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

But why wouldn't he plug it? Of course he'd cash in on his profile/ presence on radio - he'd be a fool not to! His is a personality show (his), the whole thing is based on him and his opinions and views. The book is one snall part of that. (Who's Patrick btw? Which president?).

I've heard Tubridy say that he'd got a "three book deal" and was looking around for something else to write about. These were not lifelong projects that he had in mind, just a commitment that he made to the publisher to cash in on his celebrity. And next Christmas you will have Joe Duffy with his show on self published books telling us "how hard it is to get published".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Just woke up. Whose this dude? Seriously annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ken Doherty

Jaysus the banter between John Murray and the Second Captains guys... :( I'm not sure they would have him on their team.

Jaysus the banter between John Murray and the Second Captains guys... :( I'm not sure they would have him on their team.

The words 'banter' and 'John Murray' just don't exist together.

You were in a drunken haze Peter, it didn't happen"

The words 'banter' and 'John Murray' just don't exist together. You were in a drunken haze Peter, it didn't happen"

My drunken haze prevented me from italicizing the word banter. It was bad, it's was like their da came in to the pub and interrupted the conversation.

My drunken haze prevented me from italicizing the word banter. It was bad, it's was like their da came in to the pub and interrupted the conversation.

Glad you cleared that up Peter, I just knew poor John didn't do banter.

John cannot stray from a script or actual reportage, in fairness he is adequate there but going free!!!!! Nah.

Sorry if I moved a bit away from the topic, but that had to be cleared up.

Tubridy gossping like an old fishwife about the mental problems of other presenters and singers. Was this not the lad who gave us chapter and verse a while back about people writing stuff about his personal life?

Come back Pat Kenny, and quickly.

Tubridy giving about yards about Trump being a "womanizer" because he calls over a reporter. Funny cos he never judged ACTUAL womanizers Bill Clinton and John Fitzgerald Kennedy by the same standard. He's such a f**king hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Tubridy giving about yards about Trump being a "womanizer" because he calls over a reporter. Funny cos he never judged ACTUAL womanizers Bill Clinton and John Fitzgerald Kennedy by the same standard. He's such a f**king hypocrite.

The RTE view is that Kennedy and Clinton were loveable 'Jack the lads', whilst Trump is akin to Jack the ripper. No bias there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wonder if Tubs has any plans to follow up with his Peter and the President book? I'm thinking 'Marilyn and the President', and 'Monica and the President'.
    Fully illustrated, of course......

Better he will have a new hero next week Justin Trudeau. He will be a fan boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

quintana76 wrote: »
    Better he will have a new hero next week Justin Trudeau. He will be a fan boy.
    BINGO. He's just been slobbering on about him for the last 5 mins.

sligojoek wrote: »
    BINGO. He's just been slobbering on about him for the last 5 mins.

Trudeau's visit next week is being reported in the media as if the second coming is imminent.
    Wonder why?

quintana76 wrote: »
    Trudeau's visit next week is being reported in the media as if the second coming is imminent.
    Wonder why?

What I mean second coming is the second coming of Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Tubs does this kind of thing all the time on the LLS. He gets (usually) good looking women to come down and make a fool of themselves and then he laughs like its great craic. The only difference is Trump would call her beautiful/hot and Tubs would call her a lovely girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Tubs does this kind of thing all the time on the LLS. He gets (usually) good looking women to come down and make a fool of themselves and then he laughs like its great craic. The only difference is Trump would call her beautiful/hot and Tubs would call her a lovely girl

Do you watch & listen to his crap?? Instant off switch in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

When Ryan interviewed K/Perry on the LLS, I commented at the time that there appeared to be some chemistry between them

honeybear wrote: »
    When Ryan interviewed K/Perry on the LLS, I commented at the time that there appeared to be some chemistry between them

Yeah I thought that at the time as well. They seem pretty well suited. Until he brings his JFK teddy bear in to the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

I don't hear him very often but I tuned in yesterday (Thursday) to listen to the first 20 minutes or so.

I was astonished at the amount of faffing about, rawmaishing and rambling about any old thing. Tony Bennett and how well he wears a suit being one thing that sticks in my mind.

There was a lot of talk about stuff he likes - crooners, Grace Kelly and some old movie she was in etc. etc.

Then this was followed by him reading a letter to his sixteen year old self, which he did a few years back for some charidee or other.

He said something to the effect that the 'team' reckoned that it was a good idea to do it on the show that morning!

Then music. And that accounted for about half an hour of the slot.

I was a bit shocked that this was the standard of fare. I thought we had moved on a bit from 'things I like' by Ryan Tubridy.

Am I to assume that this is a three producer, couple of Broadcast Assisitants and a Sound Op. staffed strand?

And RTE is busy selling land to recoup money?

Expunge wrote: »
    Am I to assume that this is a three producer, couple of Broadcast Assisitants and a Sound Op. staffed strand? And RTE is busy selling land to recoup money?

I always found it incredible that RTE have told us that Tubridy is one of the best presenters in the country, and that this justifies paying him an absolute fortune, yet they only give him ONE hour a day on air. And it's an hour of gossip about Katy Perry and Brad Pitt like a fishwife - this from Tubridy who threw all of his toys out of the pram when somebody took a picture of himself and his missus in a public park and called it an invasion of privacy.

If a private radio station was paying that amount of money for a "star", they would have them on air for at least three hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

The guy sets out to be a television and radio personality and then whinges about being in the public eye. That's hysterical.

I can't see there much of a bidding war for his radio services.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement