Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Callan's Kicks

• 11-04-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this is dreadful rubbish? There is a long and honorable tradition of satirical radio (and TV) but surely they could do better than this. The Enda/Ringer stuff is a straight copy of Dermot Morgan's Haughey/PJ Mara skit - with none of the subtlety. The take-off's of Michael D (now mercifully over I think/hope) were just embarrassing and many of the sketches consist of little more than people shouting over each other.

There was a time when treasured Scrap Saturday episodes were sent around the world on cassette tapes. Callan's Kicks is an unfunny, sorry insult to its memory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I actually think its not too bad. Not great but not bad.

Now if you were describing that awful Gift Grub stuff, I'd totally agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭somejoke

First Up wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think this is dreadful rubbish? There is a long and honorable tradition of satirical radio (and TV) but surely they could do better than this. The Enda/Ringer stuff is a straight copy of Dermot Morgan's Haughey/PJ Mara skit - with none of the subtlety. The take-off's of Michael D (now mercifully over I think/hope) were just embarrassing and many of the sketches consist of little more than people shouting over each other.

There was a time when treasured Scrap Saturday episodes were sent around the world on cassette tapes. Callan's Kicks is an unfunny, sorry insult to its memory.

Have stopped listening to it, he is brilliant at taking off people, but the scrips he's getting now or soo boring and repetitive.

For example Bod & Dobbo have been done to death. I think one of the script writers is gone or died I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah. One of them died a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I have only seen the show on TV, haven't heard any of the things on radio, these shows can be funny and intriguing but every single one of them has the same characters that fail to be even slightly creative. It's Enda Kenny, then Joan Burton, then Pat Kenny... sigh... then some pointless other irish celelbrities and controversial stuff like a garda or something. I saw another one of these shows on RTE last week, cant remember the name, Irish Pictorial Weekly or something I think, was the same ****e as always with no original caharacters, few laughs in it but no creative. Shows like the Savage Eye were interesting because it was original content.

Obviously this is a Radio thread but this is one of the reasons that I don't like Mario Rosenstocks stuff, its bland, the impressions are usually well done but it's Roy Keane or Enda Kenny every time I tune in and it's tedious. 98 and 104's breakfast shows were usually good for providing original content in Dublin, Spin in its older days with Joe and Keith would have done stuff too but now 98 and Spin dont bother, 104 can provide something good now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It's not bad, some characters getting a little tedious but generally ok,in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,602 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That Cathal Mac Coille impression made me laugh :O :O

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Darcy:)

My happy sigh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Plenty of arrogance and hypocrisy on our news this week and Ollie caught most of it. The Ray Darcy story was news to me and I particularly enjoyed the Pat Kenny 'no news this week' slot. I'm always amazed the lengths Newstalk presenters will go to avoiding anything that concerns their litigious master.
    Hook also, is a shocker.

We may need a thread merge btw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It's not bad, some characters getting a little tedious but generally ok,in my opinion.

Nope, for me it is repetitive, predictable, one dimensional and about as subtle as a June Rogers. Now I just turn it off.

• Advertisement

New series starts this Friday on Radio 1 at 6.30pm - there may be Ray D'arcy jokes :pac:

New series starts this Friday on Radio 1 at 6.30pm - there may be Ray D'arcy jokes :pac:

And if you miss them the first time, you will hear others like them next week, and the week after, and the week after that.......

First Up wrote: »
    And if you miss them the first time, you will hear others like them next week, and the week after, and the week after that.......

And every Mon-Fri from 3pm to 4:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

soc160 wrote: »

Obviously this is a Radio thread but this is one of the reasons that I don't like Mario Rosenstocks stuff, its bland, the impressions are usually well done but it's Roy Keane or Enda Kenny every time I tune in and it's tedious. 98 and 104's breakfast shows were usually good for providing original content in Dublin, Spin in its older days with Joe and Keith would have done stuff too but now 98 and Spin dont bother, 104 can provide something good now and again.
    The phone in show is the best comedy show on radio tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 healthy_cynic

i think callan is an excellent mimic ( much better than rosenstock ) but his material is average a lot of the time , needs a good writer or a better one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i think he's kinda stymied by events.

if bugger all's happening the show tends to be dull as he's nothing to play with , but if theres something kicking off he can produces some brilliant stuff.

the water protests for instance and how theyre reported was good for a laugh. the one with enda in dail eireann all alone on a cold night narrating with "only the sound of 80k, uh, one or two water protesters in the backround" and the shows length makes it ideal streaming fodder to waste time till something good comes on other stations/ tv.

was streaming the last show he did to get to vincent browns "peoples debates" last night (twas in tallaght. complete lolfest, absolute nightmare for the blueshirts and the lab guys didnt even turn up). anyway back to the point it was the one with "talk to joan" and it just had me creased up. particularly the bit where he did her singning joes theme tune with some handler in the backround going "dont sing it for gods sake"

usually im not one for RTEs attempts at comedy, but i have to say the last two series or so ive been tuning in. makes me wonder if there was a change in editorial as IMO its definetly better now than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The material is diabolical obviously, but the impressions themselves are often quite accurate.

i think he's kinda stymied by events.

if bugger all's happening the show tends to be dull as he's nothing to play with , but if theres something kicking off he can produces some brilliant stuff.

the water protests for instance and how theyre reported was good for a laugh. the one with enda in dail eireann all alone on a cold night narrating with "only the sound of 80k, uh, one or two water protesters in the backround" and the shows length makes it ideal streaming fodder to waste time till something good comes on other stations/ tv.

was streaming the last show he did to get to vincent browns "peoples debates" last night (twas in tallaght. complete lolfest, absolute nightmare for the blueshirts and the lab guys didnt even turn up). anyway back to the point it was the one with "talk to joan" and it just had me creased up. particularly the bit where he did her singning joes theme tune with some handler in the backround going "dont sing it for gods sake"

usually im not one for RTEs attempts at comedy, but i have to say the last two series or so ive been tuning in. makes me wonder if there was a change in editorial as IMO its definetly better now than it was.

Sounds like you see it more as political commentary than comedy or satire. I'd go elsewhere for all of them myself but each to his own.

HIYO! :D

That sketch about the budget phone-in was pretty good :O

• Advertisement

That sketch about the budget phone-in was pretty good :O

Yes, that was very good. Some improvements the last few episodes. Hope it continues.

Tonight's episode should be interesting.

Will Alan Hughes be listening? :pac:

I woke up during the show this morning. Forgot it had moved to Saturdays. Hadn't a clue wtf was going on for ages lol.

Marian: Lucinda, you have exactly one second to speak.

Lucinda: Well...

Marian: *cough* That's all we have time for, it has to be said.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 XtraStrong

Marian: Lucinda, you have exactly one second to speak.

Lucinda: Well...

Marian: *cough* That's all we have time for, it has to be said.

:D

Very funny sketch.

You have 26 seconds. I can smoke 6 fags in that time.

There really is something to be said about listening to this at Stupid 0' Clock. I've just caught up with Fridays show now and I seem to pick up on stuff I wouldn't notice in its real timeslot.
    I'm also convinced that Oliver is a regular in the radio forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There really is something to be said about listening to this at Stupid 0' Clock. I've just caught up with Fridays show now and I seem to pick up on stuff I wouldn't notice in its real timeslot.
    I'm also convinced that Oliver is a regular in the radio forum.

Oh? Who is he? What's his username? Answers by PM please!

I've only started listening to Callan's Kicks since Christmas and I have to say it's a lot better than I expected it to be. Really enjoying it tbh. The impressions are very good, the material can be a bit hit and miss but when it hits the target it can be very amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Oh? Who is he? What's his username? Answers by PM please!

I've only started listening to Callan's Kicks since Christmas and I have to say it's a lot better than I expected it to be. Really enjoying it tbh. The impressions are very good, the material can be a bit hit and miss but when it hits the target it can be very amusing.

I hardly ever catch it live and tuned into the podcast yesterday. Really good show, I thought, especially Marian interviewing Leo. It may be that if I listened every week, I'd tire of it but it always sounds fresh to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I listen to in on Saturday mornings on podcast. TBH, I have no idea when it even goes out!

I find the Matt Cooper impression particularly funny - it's not accurate per se from a voice perspective, but the way he captures Copper's little ticks and idiosyncrasies is good.

Marian interviewing the Healy Rae's a few weeks back was also top notch.

I never watched the TV show - does it translate as poorly to TV as The Mario Rosenstock/Gift Grub Show does?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i dont think he can do matt, or sharon for that matter, they come off as just a tad "wrong"

but matts one is so hysterically funny i can forgive it. it like he said "fuk it ill just go full on helium instead"

"heellooo imm mattt coooooopaaah"

:D:D:D

best item in this weeks was dobbo/sharon reading out the "top ten earners in RTE" and dobboa reaction at being named.

Advertisement