Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the V8 Interceptors.. my XB Falcon Coupe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

I still haven’t decided exactly how I’m going to solve the bracket issue, but for now I just used some shorter ones that I had in the shed that I could drill to take 3 of the bolts so that I can test fit this RRS multi-link rear end (called a Mumford Link if you want to google that)

IMG_6926_zpsc7hztwh1.jpg

Next was to install the new lower control arms

IMG_6927_zpsty0h2foq.jpg

Then it was the bracket that will hold the Coil-overs, it bolts into the mounting holes for the original diff bump stop & where the original shocks mounted into the body

IMG_6952_zps8x8t8h2h.jpg

IMG_6949_zpshukqahbz.jpg

IMG_6950_zpsntyvmn8y.jpg

Then I fitted the crazy looking link arms into the big Mumford bracket

IMG_6928_zpsmzrl8rvn.jpg

You can see now that the brackets on the diff will be located by the lower control arm for up/down movement & by the arm of the Mumford link for left/right movement

IMG_6932_zpss8e3lpel.jpg

Now the more observant of you will have noticed that the car is currently sitting side ways… now I’m not sure if you have ever felt the weight of a Ford 9” Diff with a 5 foot torque tube attached… but they are heavy… so I had to think outside of the box on how to install this, I opted for my engine hoist

IMG_6960_zpsrgygqkfy.jpg

That allowed me to swing the diff in & connect it to the two lower control arms

IMG_6962_zpslgs9sygj.jpg

IMG_6964_zpsikummjd9.jpg

Next up was to connect the arms of the Mumford link to the diff

IMG_6965_zpsihc8kc6o.jpg

IMG_6967_zpskgcaqgl8.jpg

Now I only have one coil-over bracket for the two diff brackets, so I could only install one Coil-over right now

IMG_6970_zpsmq3aye9b.jpg

So that’s the rear end in then I guess..

IMG_6969_zpswhwyfe3r.jpg

Now the links have a LOT of adjustments that can be made, but I can’t do any one that until the car is right way up & the diff is at the ride height I want… so for now here’s a look at the 3 links of the Mumford link

IMG_6974_zpszhaj86xf.jpg

IMG_6975_zps1t7g65oc.jpg

IMG_6973_zpsid6e444h.jpg

Then I fitted the front bracket to the end of the Torque tube

IMG_6978_zpsma21at6h.jpg

IMG_6980_zpswyd9tkme.jpg

I’m not drilling & mounting this big bracket until I have the diff set up exactly where I want it, I don’t want to get the placement of this bracket wrong… now sorry for the poor lighting but it was late by the time I’d finished… but this is what the new rear suspension of the XB looks like

IMG_6979_zpst2khwlzs.jpg

More hanging panel prep work needs to be done, I plan on having two bonnets for this car, one fully stock & one with the reverse racing hood scoop… so you’ve seen the work started on the bonnet for the scoop that already has the hole cut in it, next task for Mr’s XB was to strip back the original non molested bonnet that was on the car to start with

IMG_6945_zps28fthllh.jpg

IMG_6981_zpsfn3fmldu.jpg

IMG_6982_zps5nmnjien.jpg

Was very happy to see that this bonnet looks as good without the paint as it did with the paint.. Now I can’t remember if I told you, but a friend took my passenger side guard to his work place to have it blasted for me, sadly it seems to have gone missing… to say that I’m unhappy is of course a massive understatement.. luckily I was able to find one no more than 10 minutes away to use.. it’s pretty good, a few small bits that need work

IMG_6944_zpsvv5lqrlh.jpg

IMG_6983_zpss6z096ri.jpg

Next job on the list was to repair the drivers side front torque box section…. Here is a pic of the good passenger side torque box, just so you can get an idea of what it’s supposed to look like

IMG_7042_zpssqmp8w4q.jpg

I had to cut the drivers one off as it was rusting badly

IMG_7041_zpsarosstvx.jpg

Lucky for me (well not just me for all Ford Coupe owners really), there is a guy here to makes replacement panels for this section & they are great reproductions.. same thick gauge metal & all the bends & folds in the right spots

IMG_7043_zpsmh2o9muv.jpg

IMG_7044_zpsywoidt6o.jpg

It’s a great fit too… didn’t take long at all to weld this piece of humpty back in

IMG_7047_zpsptiwbzuw.jpg

IMG_7048_zpsvzuyyqcn.jpg

IMG_7049_zpssibvxphm.jpg

Next job will be to make a new parcel shelf I think, I have to fab that bit from a combination of original metal from 2 different cars & some new replacement panels… so should be fun

The task over the next couple of days is to do the last of the structural work on the XB… I need to rebuild the parcel shelf section, including the bracing that joins the shelf to the boot floor (this is the bit the rear seat rests against) & of course the panel that suits under the rear window between the boot lid & the rear glass… This is very much a Mad Max movie moment as this is being built with a piece from here & a piece from there…. I’ll be using parts from 2 XB Coupes, An XB Sedan & some new rust repair panels… to make the whole section

I bought a good rust free & unmolested rear parcel shelf out of a 4 door XB Sedan, now this won’t fit a Coupe at all…. But the middle section with the speakers holes is the same & with this one the speaker holes have not been butchered to take larger speakers over the years

IMG_8079_zpscmxnbetr.jpg

The first step was to cut off all of that Sedan donor shelf that I don’t need & can’t use…. This bit goes in the bin

IMG_7051_zpse0s0wtar.jpg

This bit I keep

IMG_7050_zpsxpmyqwws.jpg

Hmmmm….. looks like that new rust repair section I bought had no protection on it at all… guess I’m cleaning this back to bare metal & coating in rust treatment & primer tonight

IMG_7052_zpsco8hknyo.jpg

Now the sides of the parcel shelf that join the speaker section above to the fat wide rear Qtrs of a Coupe are very different to the Sedans & no one makes a rust repair section yet… so I have to unpick them out of the spare XB rear end I currently have (you can see the piss poor repair done to this parcel shelf on the donor section)

IMG_7053_zpsqoineeg2.jpg

IMG_7054_zps6itysgxt.jpg

IMG_7058_zpsewvzqsx7.jpg

IMG_7059_zpsm6ve5ngl.jpg

It might be a bit easier to see how this panel with its integrated drain channel fits in if I put it in the back of my XB with no other panels in place

IMG_7060_zpskfbpzmy7.jpg

IMG_7061_zpsifl4aebo.jpg

• Advertisement

This is how the cut up Sedan section & the new rear repair section join up… you can see the 3 x seat belt mounting points on the Sedan section, they get cut off as the seat belt mountings for the Coupe are in the end panels above as you can see in the pics above

IMG_7055_zpswlvfjj8y.jpg

And now with the side section in place

IMG_7056_zpsbcbfefnb.jpg

IMG_7057_zps6mclzqdq.jpg

Now with the rust repair sections cleaned up, rust treated & primed for use

IMG_7062_zpsp5uzxc4r.jpg

IMG_7063_zpsj7okmdii.jpg

Now to start assembling this jigsaw into the XB as a complete rear parcel shelf… this is a very happy day in the Skunk Works as this is the last of the structural welding & fabrication that needs to be done. Once this piece is in it’s officially a complete XB shell again, there is still some stitch welding of certain spots to add more strength etc… but as far as missing bits of car go this is it.

Started by clamping in the edge drain sections & the main shelf that houses the speakers inside the car

IMG_7065_zpsyca3abed.jpg

IMG_7066_zpsam2hn3y5.jpg

IMG_7067_zps4h0p4tag.jpg

IMG_7068_zpsg8slwo3k.jpg

Then the new rust repair rear section that goes under the rear window & into the boot area

IMG_8088_zps85xaw05z.jpg

IMG_8089_zpsgmjgqmv8.jpg

Then the rear window panel itself & the vertical section that joins the lower rear section to this rear window panel

IMG_7069_zpswojfyonb.jpg

IMG_7070_zpstkx5lxk3.jpg

Then the boot hinge/support sections go in

IMG_7073_zpsbmujq7ys.jpg

Then it was out with the welder & start welding this whole jigsaw together

IMG_7074_zpszfjerm57.jpg

IMG_7077_zpsprvjjtak.jpg

IMG_7080_zpsry7xn4on.jpg

Then the diagonal rear seat braces go in  

IMG_7081_zps1rsxmxdz.jpg

THAT’S IT!!! We are done with the structural welding (yes there is still more to be done, but nothing structural)… this ****ing piece of poo is now a full solid complete shell again… I cannot even begin to put into words how this feels, it’s been 2 years of hard slog, having no real idea of what I was doing,  learning as I went with a sort of dumb I won’t be beaten mindset… I’ve had great support & help from my panel beater mate (the brains of this operation) & of course from Mrs XB herself…. Now I won’t lie.. I stood back in the shed last night with a beer in hand looking at this & I had to fight back a tear or two, there have been many days during this project that I really felt that this day would never come… I feel so good right now, I’m even allowing myself to mentally picture this thing is full colour painted up waiting for me to install all the running gear… now to start looking for a good painter

IMG_7083_zpsyceo84i4.jpg

IMG_7084_zpsvj6yjg3t.jpg

IMG_7086_zps7rynmj01.jpg

I was just starting to strip back the boot lid now this morning, but the weather has beaten it… it’s 10am Sat morning & it’s 35 degrees already & the high for today is 43 & as I have no A/C in the shed (make mental note, add A/C to the shed) it’ll get over 50 in the shed soon, so I have retreated to the comfort of the house that has A/C…. I’ll finish the boot tomorrow

IMG_7078_zpsj1ixtqux.jpg

IMG_7082_zpsbseur6dg.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I bloody love this build and the other. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ok… so a quick pop quiz… what’s the first thing that you do the very next day after you’ve worked for months on end to get your XB Coupe back into a complete structurally sound shell again?

If you answered “you cut off a rear Qtr panel again” then congratulations you win a bin bag full of genuine XB rust (Phone lines are now closed)

IMG_7087_zpslovefly1.jpg

IMG_7088_zpsw5nz9vek.jpg

Now I apologise if anyone just spat tea all over their screen shouting “you ****ing muppet” at me… but let me explain my logic (or insanity, you choose)… this passenger side Qtr is never going to be right… just look at the amount of repair patch sections that are in it… with the best will in the world & even with days of work it is always going to need a good few mm of bog to ever ever look the right shape

IMG_7089_zpscr94op9t.jpg

Now you may remember a few posts back that I had sold my kidney when I found a genuine NOS Qtr panel, well I’ve decided that the right thing to do by the car is to do this job correctly (or as close to it as someone as halfarsed as me can get it)… so a tough decision was made, but I just felt that I would have always regretted it if I hadn’t done it… & as the car was structurally complete it’s a very simple swap as none of the other parts of the car are flexing or moving at all

IMG_7090_zpsnn2f1arg.jpg

IMG_7092_zpsjongw0xn.jpg

IMG_7093_zpsgv7cjseh.jpg

This bit of the car at least will look right when I’m done & I’ll know that its bog free & straight underneath the paint

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On a build this well done and having a NOS unicorn panel you had only one choice really. Fair play and it'll look and be better.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This is the sort of rust protection stuff I’ve been doing… so the section behind the rear Qtr panel has been wire brushed back to bare metal & then chemically rust treated before being etch primed

IMG_7099_zps2xd1uutp.jpg

The window winder mechanism has been cleaned up & lubed up too

IMG_7100_zps3zwmqbaq.jpg

Then I used a top coating which is a thick sound deadener & rust preventative paint to completely covet the inside… you know to be sure to be sure

IMG_7101_zpsevfabahr.jpg

IMG_7102_zpsnqdzin0b.jpg

IMG_7103_zpsh8rhzemc.jpg

The NOS Qtr panel goes on tomorrow & then the car will be a complete finished structural shell… again.. hopefully for longer than a day this time…  

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭biketard

Fantastic! Congratulations on getting the shell back to where it should be (I mean, before you cut the quarter panel out again, but you know what I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

"Halfarsed" - a new level for me to aim at! :-)

Ok… uber quick update, so my madness has been rewarded…. Please behold my complete 1975 Ford Falcon GS Coupe body shell!! The NOS panel looks a million dollars (as you would expect). The pics don’t show it as well as it looks in the metal but the Coke bottle wave curve in the Qtr Panel & the door are lining up so well & they just look so so sexy…. Or at least to me the fat arse lines of the XB Coupe look sexy…

IMG_7105_zpsl99zjsux.jpg

IMG_7106_zpssg6llj6h.jpg

IMG_7107_zpsxjxvcrvf.jpg

IMG_7108_zpslnnkewmn.jpg

IMG_7109_zpstq6kqrrz.jpg

IMG_7110_zpsqmslln6m.jpg

She is a beauty. :) Love the lines and for me coupes are my fave car shape/layout of all.

Lucky where you are too. In Ireland it would have flashed a rusty red in seconds. :eek:

Lead wiping of the panel joins has begun on the XB now… the Qtr to Roof join

IMG_7111_zpso6txxjcv.jpg

Also the inner door jam join

IMG_7116_zpswqpyxui4.jpg

Now I don’t expect any of you to have noticed but the Sill panel is for a Sedan & so there was a recess here for the B pillar base to join the Sill, I’ve lead loaded this with lead too

IMG_7117_zpsgzlbyucp.jpg

IMG_7118_zpsm652wlla.jpg

Work has also started on stripping the engine bay clean so I can weld up any non-factory holes that have been added over the years & get it ready for paint.

IMG_7112_zpsdmvpkvnq.jpg

IMG_7113_zpsxw3m7lyx.jpg

IMG_7114_zpszhfxa0lw.jpg

Stripping back the engine bay continues & is a long slow dirty process, but it has to be done… no corners can be cut with the metal prep for painting or it will show when it’s finished. The difference between a good paint job & a great paint job is all in the prep. Excuse the poor lighting but work only happens in the shed at nights on weekdays

IMG_7123_zpsf7sotr3b.jpg

The Plenum area under the front window is perfect, I’m so blessed here… it’s a known problem area for these cars & I had expected to find some rust but nothing to report

IMG_7124_zpsjq5o3kjm.jpg

I’ve also taken the build tags off too… storing these somewhere safe for now… here in Aus the tags for a good spec car are worth thousands as folks use them to reshell say a 6 cylinder Falcon 500 shell into a full GS Fairmont like mine to double the cars worth.. I think I’ll spend some time & effort to clean these up & make them shiny again so that when they go back on they look good

IMG_7125_zpszm33qane.jpg

I had cleaned most of the underside off already, but hadn’t tackled the really hard to reach areas but that’s not a job that can be put off any longer now… this is not a fun job I can tell you, rewarding when you stand back & look at all the shiny metal but not fun

IMG_7122_zpsqt3xfuyc.jpg

IMG_7121_zpsossyhle0.jpg

Daved_XB wrote: »
    I’ve also taken the build tags off too… storing these somewhere safe for now… here in Aus the tags for a good spec car are worth thousands as folks use them to reshell say a 6 cylinder Falcon 500 shell into a full GS Fairmont like mine to double the cars worth.. I think I’ll spend some time & effort to clean these up & make them shiny again so that when they go back on they look good

IMG_7125_zpszm33qane.jpg
    That hits the spot D.

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

All in the details. These cars and your build story are fantastic reading. TBH D it's informative and genuinely humbling for this weekend petrolhead to observe your skills and perseverance.

Thanks man, Any skills I have I learned on the job.... anyone can do it, just need to decide to start

• Advertisement

This is one of those updates where it probably looks like nothing has been done, but in fact several long hours have been spent…. Cleaning of the front end continues unabated & I’m happy to report that there is no evil rust being found anyway as we clean this up… there are a few (read a lot) of little holes in the engine bay where people have attached things with self-tapper screws over the years & I reckon I’ll weld them up so that there isn’t a Swiss cheese effect once its painted

IMG_7130_zpsixxhkya7.jpg

IMG_7139_zpsy6cnihaw.jpg

IMG_7131_zpsqh5rtbud.jpg

If you cast your minds back to what seems like a long time ago now, you may remember that the bottom of the front cross member was badly damaged… well I’ve reconstructed that section & it’s back on now looking very square again

IMG_7132_zps0oowv3mo.jpg

The last section of boot channel that needed be fabricated & fitted has gone on

IMG_7162_zpsjfllfnl1.jpg

Now this little bit of metal in the far right bottom corner of the rear window opening may not look like much & in fact on its own it isn’t… it’s 3 inch long slightly curved piece of metal that has been welded in to finish off that window lip… BUT in the bigger scheme of things this may well prove to be the final piece of new metal that ever needs welding into this car… unless I find something I’m not expecting whilst finishing up the cleaning of the front I think that we are done with the welding bits of metal on this car… I will probably add some extra spots or stitch welds to the torque effected areas for additional strength but this is the end of making repair sections to be welded in/on… another big milestone reached

IMG_7137_zps8veclifm.jpg

I’ve removed the battery tray from the engine bay, there will be a lot of catch cans & other such stuff needing to live up here so I’m relocating the battery to the boot to make some more space & to tidy up the engine bay a bit. Plus over the year leaking battery juice has damaged this section, so off it came

IMG_7164_zpsszt15z1t.jpg

No real damage behind it, it’ll clean up nicely

IMG_7163_zpswzgx3h3o.jpg

Lead wiping the Roof to Qtr panel seam.. coming up nice

IMG_7165_zpsfvmm6p45.jpg

I’ve also decided to wipe & fill all the factory panel gaps on the rear, like the join between the Qtr & the panel that crosses under the rear window

IMG_7166_zpsk6vikfzh.jpg

Also the gap where the Qtr joins the sill panel

IMG_7170_zpsbgagvofj.jpg

IMG_7169_zpsxvtqneef.jpg

I think that it will look cleaner (& different) than the stock gap join looks

IMG_7167_zpsoyu1xpon.jpg

I’ve also lead wiped the join of the inner door jam & the qtr

IMG_7168_zps0zv4p7az.jpg

Been working on getting the door & the Qtr lines to all run perfect (or as close as I can get them) sadly there is a need for bog, but when it’s sanded down it’s a skim of less than 1mm thick & I don’t know of any restored car that ended up with metal so perfect it didn’t need a light skim (unless 7 digits where spent on it)

IMG_7171_zpsi5fg0uye.jpg

IMG_7172_zpst9ne5sdk.jpg

IMG_7173_zps10qis5g9.jpg

IMG_7174_zps5xwkmg7e.jpg

God this sanding back process is a messy & thankless task… there will be many more hours spent on this now…. But the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight… I can see this thing being in hi-fill & ready to go to paint this month if I’m lucky

Haven’t updated this in a while… but I did finish off the passenger side door & Qtr panel of the XB to a high fill level to be sure that lines are right… I think it came out well

The process involves a lot of spraying light black paint over the primer so that when you are block sanding off you can see the high spots & the lows

IMG_7175_zpsxqu6qv4k.jpg

IMG_7177_zpsxgj5tiki.jpg

IMG_7193_zpsxnqzvbnu.jpg

IMG_7194_zpsbmhcrbio.jpg

By now the shed has been getting way to dirty for my liking with grinding dust & sanding dust covering everything…. So I decided that enough was enough & emptied the whole thing out for a clean… so the XB had a quick spin into the open to be cleaned off using the air compressor

IMG_7195_zps7b6dgdkx.jpg

IMG_7198_zpszgd07dkl.jpg

Then I started (with the help of Mrs XB of course) to pull everything & I mean every single thing out of the shed….

IMG_7196_zpscb6ayvrd.jpg

IMG_7208_zpseezksv9l.jpg

Every inch of the shed was then cleaned & washed & every item was cleaned before being stacked back inside again… this took an entire 3 day long weekend to do…. This was so so worth it, I found parts I forgot I had, tools I’d lost etc ect… plus it’s just so nice to be in a clean shed where you can pick stuff up without getting filthy… it’s not quite up to Ron Dennis standards… but it’s good enough for me

IMG_7200_zpsxpeywjzp.jpg

IMG_7201_zpsbv3zymfv.jpg

IMG_7203_zpsinslyije.jpg

IMG_7204_zpsnjqj9crw.jpg

IMG_7205_zpsghvgjmwj.jpg

IMG_7206_zpsxo61ymf1.jpg

IMG_7207_zpsenxzspir.jpg

IMG_7213_zpslyak6qtr.jpg

IMG_7215_zpshfjywqp6.jpg

IMG_7217_zps3wqy7uxm.jpg

Another reason for doing this is that my new Camaro will be arriving sometime around the end of March all things being considered so I needed to be sure I’d have the space to put it in the shed with the rest of the family.

I’ve taken a few weeks off doing any work on the cars now as it had been becoming all consuming & it was starting to feel like a chore & not be enjoyable at all…. So now I feel a renewed energy to get back into it… I have some maintenance on the GTO I’d been putting off until the hoist was free so I’ll have to crack into that on the weekend & then get back into operation restoration..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I have serious, serious shed envy.. Thanks for the update :)

I’ve had a custom long range drop tank (160ltrs) sitting around for the XB for a while now & I’d been wondering what fuel pump set up to use, today I unboxed my Aeromotive stealth kit…. It’s a very neat setup designed to fit almost any fuel tank & is designed to be able to feed a 950HP NA Carb engine, I’ve only a meager 700 so this should be fine for me..

First things first mind you, the tank had a protective covering on it which peeled off easily but the there was also some masking tape on it & wow this stuff does not want to come off..

IMG_7272_zpsgmqvyomg.jpg

Any ideas? last resort will be a scraper as that will scratch the polished aluminum of the tank sadly.. I’ve bought some can of stuff called goo off & I’ll see how soaking it in that helps…

Once I have that tape off I’ll be able to cut a hole in the top of the tank & lower the sponge swirl pot tank (for want of a better description) in.. my tank is almost too tall to take this kit but it just fits

IMG_7271_zpsftnebdzr.jpg

The sponge houses the pump within it & the design is such that it holds the fuel in the pot even when it is fully drained away due to cornering (there are some good clips of it working on YouTube if you’re so inclined)

IMG_7261_zpsfaull8ln.jpg

IMG_7262_zpstzlfp66h.jpg

IMG_7263_zpscaec2103.jpg

The kit is pretty comprehensive & comes with everything needed except he actual fuel line they do sell it but I didn’t see the point in paying for shipping from the US for something that I can get here easily

IMG_7259_zpsqegnsdbt.jpg

SO if I can get that bloody tape off then this will be one of the weekends jobs, installing this in the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭biketard

Nice!

I'm sure the goo off will do the trick, but if not WD40 or lighter fluid (naptha) both work well. You more you soak it, the easier it'll be (might have to do two or three passes if it's really, really dried in). You really shouldn't have to scrape it.

Acetone another option. You can get bottles of it cheap in pharmacies as nail polish remover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I have serious, serious shed envy.. Thanks for the update :)

I'm really happy you posted here again, I've some one coming to the house next week to look at putting up a shed for working on cars and he wanted me to figure out what size I want. -- Can I ask what the L x B X H of your shed is please?

• Advertisement

The shed is 14.5m wide & 10m deep... the height at the low point which is the top of the front hanger doors is 3.5m & the apex height is a little over 4.5m

Advertisement