Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Unreal what a coup for Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Chris is putting an interview with Pat on the Newstalk website soon, looks like he's getting the 10-12:30 slot.

What does that mean for the Lunchtime slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

@ Magpie - I never posted what you quoted me as posting???

Originally Posted by Bits_n_Bobs View Post
    Add to that, i believe, the view that if you're not a black, gay, traveller then shame on you !

And my criticism was pointed at hotmail - not you.

Apologies I'm more of a lurker than a poster on boards.ie - amended that post accordingly.

You did quote me in the original post so was just responding to that... apologies for attributing the other quote to you.

Anyway forget about Dil! The news today will have a serious affect on Irish radio that hasn't be seen in a while... it allows the new CEO's of Newstalk and 2FM free to shake things up considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Confirmed by Newstalk and RTE - DOB has got the chequebook out.

Must have been some cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I like how Pat made this deal without leaking it to the media in advance.

He did the same when he quit The Late Late Show, nobody saw it coming.

I think he is still annoyed at having The Frontline scrapped from RTE TV. He hasn't much to lose if he was planning on retiring in a few years anyway. Good for him, I hope he does well at Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Couldn't believe it when I heard the news. Fantastic for Newstalk, feel sorry for Tom Dunne though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What does that mean for the Lunchtime slot?

It will probably start a half an hour closer to Lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Layinghen wrote: »
    Unreal what a coup for Newstalk.

It's a win, win situation. Newstalk taking the woeful lightweight PK suits me fine - hopefully he'll taking his ****ing whiney theme tune too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Skammer

Seemingly Tom Dunne's been offered a job answering phones at NT, provided he learns to talk coherently.

Rock and roll for him so!

Justice at last.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

His remuneration was € 630,000 in 2011, € 729,604 in 2009 and € 950,976 in 2008. (Source Irish Times)

Reckon RTE were under pressure to lop another 100k off his pay minimum. If Newstalk offered him 500k I imagine he'd jump at it given he would not have any TV work to do on top of the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Lapin wrote: »
    It will probably start a half an hour closer to Lunchtime.

So it'll only be an hour long? They struggle to get through the show as it is.. hardly seems worth the bother if it's now gonna be even more time-constrained... Maybe they'll push Moncrieff back by a half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Skammer wrote: »
    Seemingly Tom Dunne's been offered a job answering phones at NT, provided he learns to talk coherently.

Rock and roll for him so!

Justice at last.:D

So if he is just answering phones he will be the NT equivalent of Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

A return to Today FM perhaps? Something at 98FM? Weekend show on Newstalk? None of the above?

What's the most likely scenario?

there was talk a couple of years ago about him and Alison Curtis going to Phantom. Curtis was there for about a year or so i think, but Dunne never went.
    I think a music show would be more Dunne's forté, but I don't think it would be a good for Phantom, who are constantly losing listeners due to the dull, stale programming and music policy from 7am-7pm. can't see Dunne offering anything new or exciting for a station that needs to freshen up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Where has the other thread gone? I'm sure I was reading a different one on this topic?

eta found it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

but I don't think it would be a good for Phantom, who are constantly losing listeners due to the dull, stale programming and music policy from 7am-7pm. can't see Dunne offering anything new or exciting for a station that needs to freshen up.

There's an understatement
    This time last year, Phantom had 47,000 people tuning in each weekend. That figure is now 10,000 which is a drop of 37,000 (or almost their entire weekly reach) in just 4 books
    from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85718036&postcount=56

Maybe they'll just close Phantom in order to pay Pats salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,626 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Aww i liked tom dunne in the mornings, didnt always agree with his music choices but he was always cheery and happy which was useful at that time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Where's Tom Dunne going then,Moncrief says nobody is losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

awww poor pat mustn't have been able to make ends meet wit the pittance he was getting at Montrose best of luck pat I hope your new wages reflect your ample talent

• Registered Users Posts: 39,405 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gay Byrne talking about it with mooney and asking was it about money. Gaybo thinks it might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Layinghen wrote: »
    Couldn't believe it when I heard the news. Fantastic for Newstalk, feel sorry for Tom Dunne though.

This is brilliant for Newstalk, a great presenter for Newstalk to get. How will he be able to do the show without having the number of back up staff and researchers he had in RTE?? Can he make his own coffee?? Will he like being on camera while talking on radio?? And yes, who would bet agains't Tubridy going back to RTE 1.. he is such a disaster on 2fm, and this way everyone saves face in him moving home as it will be PR's as a strategic move.. The questions is, who will come into 2FM?? Tome Dunne could end up there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

RTE have lost their only top-class broadcaster. Pat will take his listeners with him. Bad day for RTE.

Full 12 minute interview

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Pat should have just interviewed himself.

He would have done a better job.

Thanks for that Skid..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

Jaysus Pat looks old doesn't he ?

Must be thinking of his pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beagle

DOB: Sorry Tom, we are replacing you with Pat Kenny.
    TD: Reeeeeeeallllllly?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 disc79

Reckon Gareth bale will get pats old job.
    Rte came up with the €100m spurs wanted. Lol

Massive gain for news talk ..
    Leaves an opening to move tubs back to rte1 .

Tom dunne was great as a music presenter and was very good when he filled in for d'arcy but that's cause he gelled well with rays team when he was on. He was like the fun uncle that popped in and let them run riot .

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

The morning needs a bit of a shake-up. Not that Pat will SHAKE much. Still, I wouldn't mind getting rid of Tom Dunne. He's pretty insipid.

Pat should have just interviewed himself.

He would have done a better job.

Thanks for that Skid..:)

To be fair to Chris, he only had about 20 minutes notice that he going to do the interview (apparently). I think he did alright, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I suppose you're right Skid, that's why they need someone like Pat...

He will certainly lift the standards now!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

They can't take Pat and not take Des.

Advertisement