Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LittleAmy

mrmorgan wrote: »
    ha ha no need to be sorry. i get the itch very easily ha ha ha

:)

Quick update, I made it through the weekend and came out the other side, very proud of myself, my broadband has been down since Saturday night so haven't been able to check in..

Hope everyone is keeping well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Off the drink since May 24th this year with only 1 slip up (1 single pint) at the start of September. I feel brilliant overall and was never a big drinker but a few drinks on a Saturday night relaxed me and I do miss that now. I can't find a replacement for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

COYW wrote: »
    Off the drink since May 24th this year with only 1 slip up (1 single pint) at the start of September. I feel brilliant overall and was never a big drinker but a few drinks on a Saturday night relaxed me and I do miss that now. I can't find a replacement for that.

two litre bottle of coke, ben and jerrys, maccy d's, and call of duty and you're good to go every friday and saturday night!!!!!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

off it one month as of monday. going ok. i think its all about being active and doing stuff. it makes it a whole lot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

LittleAmy wrote: »
    :)

Quick update, I made it through the weekend and came out the other side, very proud of myself, my broadband has been down since Saturday night so haven't been able to check in..

Hope everyone is keeping well :)

Brilliant, LittleAmy, well done. Nothing beats doing what you know is the right thing for you.

What I really don't miss are the mental and physical highs and lows, the big surges and slumps of energy and especially the heeby jeebies after drinking, the guilt and the dark demons.

Keep it up, LittleAmy and everyone else doing Sober October (and beyond).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

hubba wrote: »
    Brilliant, LittleAmy, well done. Nothing beats doing what you know is the right thing for you.

What I really don't miss are the mental and physical highs and lows, the big surges and slumps of energy and especially the heeby jeebies after drinking, the guilt and the dark demons.

Keep it up, LittleAmy and everyone else doing Sober October (and beyond).

Those Mental issues are a bit scary at times. but i still have the demons even being sober

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mr morgan wrote: »
    Those Mental issues are a bit scary at times. but i still have the demons even being sober

Give yourself a chance mrmorgan you did not get where you are today over night and everything wont disappear overnight or even over a month, it takes a while for your body & mind to get used to the new you but it will and you will feel much better for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Haven't touched a drop in 21 days. Unfortunately, its made me unbelievably grumpy. Very nearly cracked today when a friend told me to cheer up. How long does this BS last?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

have 21 days done myself today zero nine

yeah maybe your just being a bit quiter zero nine and they view that as being grumpy,

i am a lot quieter also and people say you have changed and all this,but i will gladly take being a quieter person than the loud mouth that i was when i was drinking and being the clown that everybody laughed at when i made a balls of myself.

i was nearly gonna drink after football today but had a few minerals after in the pub,i didnt feel like drinking not because i was battling against it but didnt feel like i wanted or have the energy,i will wake up tomorrow early and feel great,imagine if i had drank how id feel tomorrow when i dont feel great healthwise at the minute,when i drank there would be no eating and the drink on top off it would leave me like a zombie tomorrow

66 days done :)
    record equalled :)
    roll on tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

seanrose wrote: »

i am a lot quieter also and people say you have changed and all this,but i will gladly take being a quieter person than the loud mouth that i was when i was drinking and being the clown that everybody laughed at when i made a balls of myself.

I know that game :D

67 days :D
    BOOM.HEADSHOT.HOSTAGE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I made a decision to give up drinking on the 2nd of February 2010. I was basically having a very **** time in work and other personal problems, and the stupid behaviour whilst drunk didn't exactly help me out. I honestly thought it would be impossible for me to live without it, the first few weeks being off it was horrific. I was terrified of a life without alcohol, I didn't think I could succeed, and more to the point I knew that most people thought I couldn't live without it.

I was a major binge drinker on a weekly basis, at least once if not twice a week, and I'd drink to get wasted almost every single time. I'd say over the 10 years I was drinking I'd only have had about 8 nights when I wasn't obviously drunk on a night out, and usually it would be extremely obvious. I'd excuse myself because I was able to go a few weeks without it if I needed to concentrate on studies etc, or that I didn't drink at home alone, or every day....but I knew I had a problem and even now if I had one I know I'd find it very difficult to stop.

Since then I've had just one slip, and that was September 2010, after which I have not touched a drop. To be honest I felt quite silly after having those few drinks, I didn't enjoy them at all, I didn't really feel a great need to have them (before my first one), and funnily enough I haven't really been tempted to go back since then. I must be honest and say that the last year has been vastly easier to live sober than the first 8 months because of this experience.

As it goes, I've been unemployed since last October and even though my troubles in that regard are worse that anything I've faced previously I tend to be much more philosophical and positive about things than I would have been before. Living sober has made me feel better about the sort of person I am/want to be, I don't worry on Friday mornings about what I'll get up to that night, what I'll lose, what I'll say to people, the money I'll spend, the stuff I'll forget, the drunk calls and texts I'll make when wasted....so many things that I no longer have to concern myself with.

I do say that I miss the craic and the truly awesome feeling that alcohol can give you, there aren't many feelings in life that can match the feeling you mostly have when you're under the influence of alcohol. Ultimately though there is a greater long-term reward for you in knowing that you made a choice that wasn't selfish, was thoughtful to those you care about, and that you've acted responsibly in that regard.

would like to wish everybody the best doing sober october but im bowing out,

i feel like i am becoming a total recluse and spend more effort into thinking about not drinking and its taking a hell of a lot out of me.im going out now at the weekend with my mates and have to say that im looking forward to it but dont want to get totally hammered,want to enjoy it.

the reason i did want to stop drinking was for myself and to get over a broken heart,drink had a part to play in the breakup but now that i have had a clear head after prolonged stays away from drink i realise that there were other factors at play and that even though i cant excuse the drinking i know in my heart it would have been another excuse why she broke it off

i now feel that i am over the breakup and ready to move on and meet somebody else.

really really do have such admiration for people who can do without it,they are without doubt some of the strongest minded people

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

would like to wish everybody the best doing sober october but im bowing out,

i feel like i am becoming a total recluse and spend more effort into thinking about not drinking and its taking a hell of a lot out of me.im going out now at the weekend with my mates and have to say that im looking forward to it but dont want to get totally hammered,want to enjoy it.

the reason i did want to stop drinking was for myself and to get over a broken heart,drink had a part to play in the breakup but now that i have had a clear head after prolonged stays away from drink i realise that there were other factors at play and that even though i cant excuse the drinking i know in my heart it would have been another excuse why she broke it off

i now feel that i am over the breakup and ready to move on and meet somebody else.

really really do have such admiration for people who can do without it,they are without doubt some of the strongest minded people

good luck

Just take it easy...you don't have to go out and get sauced. Keep thinking when you're drinking. After 4 of 5 pints its all a waste, switch to sodas.

Cheers Forest Fire,

Yeah i plan on sticking to bottles and relax and not be out to get hammered but out just to chill for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

Cheers Forest Fire,

Yeah i plan on sticking to bottles and relax and not be out to get hammered but out just to chill for the night

Yeah, just stick to bottles of heineken or some weaker smaller beer and take it slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

1377 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bobbity

Off alcohol since June 23, 2011. One slip in Sept, one pint. Sometimes I miss it like mad, other times I'm so glad to be free of it.
    I'm a much nicer, calmer person than my drinking self. Homelife has improved so much, but I do have to watch it carefully, if I'm on my own I start to think of having a drink, but thats only boredom.
    Good luck to all, and stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

Am struggling at the moment . 4 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

67 days :D
    BOOM.HEADSHOT.HOSTAGE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :D

Well done frank keep moving forward.

would like to wish everybody the best doing sober october but i'm bowing out,

i feel like i am becoming a total recluse and spend more effort into thinking about not drinking and its taking a hell of a lot out of me.im going out now at the weekend with my mates and have to say that i'm looking forward to it but don't want to get totally hammered,want to enjoy it.

good luck

Good luck sean rose,Now you know what its like to live a life alcohol free you can move forward in the knowledge you have gained,Be safe and happy and good luck in your new relationship.

k4kate wrote: »
    Am struggling at the moment . 4 days

Kate have you done yourself a plan as you need to have something for oneself instead of the drinking,How are you struggling ? whats getting you down the most ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LittleAmy

I went to the afters of a wedding last night and I ended up drinking :( It was my first night out since I gave up and I fell at the first hurdle :( I'm so disgusted with myself..

Not only that but I went back to a party and ended up doing coke aswel :o I feel like I just went straight back to that 'fail safe' party girl that everyone knows and loves..

FML

realies wrote: »

Kate have you done yourself a plan as you need to have something for oneself instead of the drinking,How are you struggling ? whats getting you down the most ?

I don't have a plan, you are dead right,

I drank thursday for no other reason than i wanted to drink. I wasn't in bad form, I didn't have a stressful day, nobody was misunderstanding me and live was grand. So all those excuses i normally use for drinking were not true. So i just drank cos i wanted to.

I drove my son to a friend's house and back home again with too much drink. i put him and myself in danger and i feel physically and mentally awful since.

I have turned into the kind of person i despise.

So that is it, I have decided no more drink.

hello gus and girls,just a little note 2 say that i did go out last nite and i did really enjoy it,stuck to drinking bottles of beer and i have to say its the first time in a long time i can say that i never did anything stupid or have that hangover when u know you did something stupid the night before,even know how how i got home and all

I know that every night i go out i still have to keep to my plan and not get complacent about my problems with alcohol,but its a start

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

People (boozers mainly) used to asked me why I had stopped drinking. My stock reply was because I found abstinence easier than temperance. Which in my case was true. I always had to have at least 5 pints of an evening; usual reasons- the round system, needed to relax/forget or fear of being unable to sleep.
    When I say easier it does not mean that I achieved sobriety easily, I did not.
    But it was worth the pain, if for no reason other than I'm still here.

5 days :D but different this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

just said id post to tell people im backing out of sober october, was going well but unfortunately had a very bad incident in college today so am going drinking tonight to get over it and forget about it, hope none of you will judge me and will try my best again next month, just need to forget and relax tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

652 days.

3 weeks, longest I've been off it since I started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

1 year. woo hoo

Advertisement