Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International Men's Day: Tuesday, November 19, 2019

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I must say today has been a blast for me, great to be a man. FFS, never even heard of it till 2 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

iptba wrote: »

Today they have a doodle marking the first flight by a woman from Oz to the UK........13 years after it had already been done by a man......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Why not think for a minute about the spirit of the day.

It's bad enough when any group knock all men collectively, it's worse when some men see a chance to change that and decide to take a different tack.

Let's think of this day and contrast it to how other days are "celebrated".

How would gay pride be received by the LGBT community if the day was dominated by seminars and countless column inches dedicated to "how to be less gay", "how to curb your toxic homosexuality" or even "why gay people should embrace their heterosexual side"?

The spirit of the day was not to celebrate what is good about masculinity, it was all about how you can change what it means to be a man to "fit in" with the modern world.

Empowerment of gay people and women on their "days" and emasculation of men on ours.

This is why it doesn't sit well with me. And of course, because I had the audacity to speak up about it, I was told I was part of a problem.

Think about that. Because I spoke out about an issue that affects men, I was told that my issue was the reason men dont speak out....

Ok. So perhaps it should be "men should not be afraid to speak out... Unless we don't like what you say"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

But because I don't think a day where Sam Smith can be lauded as a great example of what defines a man

To be fair, he was pivotal in exposing the Michael Lowry scandal. Whats more manly than working hard to expose political corruption?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Today they have a doodle marking the first flight by a woman from Oz to the UK........13 years after it had already been done by a man......

Kind of strange tbh. In the next few generations will we have a role reversal where men are seen as the helpless creatures who need saving and all the good deeds were done by women? :P

As a sidenote, I could easily see being accused of bellitling for pointing out the man before woman thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

Ironicname wrote: »
    Let's think of this day and contrast it to how other days are "celebrated".

How would gay pride be received by the LGBT community if the day was dominated by seminars and countless column inches dedicated to "how to be less gay", "how to curb your toxic homosexuality" or even "why gay people should embrace their heterosexual side"?

The spirit of the day was not to celebrate what is good about masculinity, it was all about how you can change what it means to be a man to "fit in" with the modern world.

Empowerment of gay people and women on their "days" and emasculation of men on ours.

This is why it doesn't sit well with me. And of course, because I had the audacity to speak up about it, I was told I was part of a problem.

Think about that. Because I spoke out about an issue that affects men, I was told that my issue was the reason men dont speak out....

Ok. So perhaps it should be "men should not be afraid to speak out... Unless we don't like what you say"
    That's a very well put point, I might use that myself! ;)

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Kind of strange tbh. In the next few generations will we have a role reversal where men are seen as the helpless creatures who need saving and all the good deeds were done by women? :P

A change is as good as a rest I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Victims of male domestic violence are being encouraged to speak out about what they're experiencing.

Ivan spoke to Nicola Graham-Kevan, a professor of Criminal Justice Psychology at the University of Central Lancaster and Preston about why these victims aren't given as much attention or support.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/domestic-violence-men-common-might-think

Well worth a listen

Thought she was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

Why we need a Minister for Men

By
    Matt O’Connor
    -
    November 22, 2019

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/why-we-need-a-minister-for-men/

Fairly short article. Lots and lots of issues that it doesn't mention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement