Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

don't like the new LED street lights

• 19-11-2019 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

The sodium lights in my residential area are all being replaced by blue white LED lights and they look very unpleasant. I'm going to contact the guy who runs the estate to ask if they can choose a different color temperature in the future, but I want to get more information first. Was wondering if anyone has any information on the specific LEDs they use. E.g. do you know the specific LED technology so I can look it up myself? If not, in general is cool white cheaper than warm white and that's why they're chosen? Or another reason?

Personally I'd prefer 1800k-2200k, to be closer to the old sodium they are replacing, but even warm white (3000k-4000k) would go a long way compared to these cheap-looking blue ones. In Austria for instance they rolled out 3000k for the highly-congested areas (for visibility purposes) and 2000k everywhere else, each option looks far more familiar and aesthetically-pleasing. And generally I've only heard negative opinions on the LEDs we're getting in Ireland.

Comments

They are very white, and I agree a warmer white would be nice, but from my uninformed viewpoint, it seems to be a generic light fitting being used across the board (by Airtricity, who seem to be the primary installers of them), so I don't think you'd have a whole heap of luck with regards to getting the temperature changed, even if you did have a good argument to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Generally speaking the "bluer" the LED light the cheaper it is to both manufacturer and the more efficient it is to run.

I guess "he who pays the piper" calls the tune, so cost will always be the primary factor when it comes to deciding what streetlights are fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd also imagine that these were bulk bought through some form of contract, so they're unlikely to go back through a procurement process for the couple of street lights outside your house

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Generally speaking the "bluer" the LED light the cheaper it is to both manufacturer and the more efficient it is to run.

I guess "he who pays the piper" calls the tune, so cost will always be the primary factor when it comes to deciding what streetlights are fitted.

Actually not true. Red LED tech is the cheapest. It took decades after RED was invented to come up with blue LEDs and they are still the most expensive to produce - but necessary to produce white LED light. Blue mainly happened due to UV LED research in the print industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Steve wrote: »
    Actually not true. Red LED tech is the cheapest. It took decades after RED was invented to come up with blue LEDs and they are still the most expensive to produce - but necessary to produce white LED light. Blue mainly happened due to UV LED research in the print industry.

It just means that less coating is required to make the blue LED white, and that the lumen output is higher at a given wattage the closer it gets to blue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My understanding is that phosphorus coating is an issue.

It warms up the colour but drops the lumen output per Watt.

It's also expensive

In some cases they may have to use the more efficient lamp as the distance between the existing lights is fixed and they can't use a warmer lamp as they can't move the lamps closer together.

I could be wrong though, that was from a CPD delivered by a lighting supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Steve wrote: »

Yep - that's why it took a long time to develop LED displays, Red and Green LED's existed, but Blue took a long time to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

stoneill wrote: »
    Yep - that's why it took a long time to develop LED displays, Red and Green LED's existed, but Blue took a long time to develop.

And funnily enough... I heard The Chase on in the background yesterday and the question was <some guy> won a nobel prize for physics for inventing which coloured LED?
    Answer was of cource blue :)
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29518521 (turns out there was 3 of them)

Advertisement