Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alarm not on but blaring as Motion Detection Activated

Options
  • 14-11-2019 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Phonewatch Concord alarm system - unmonitored. Alarm is probably 15 years old.

In the house about 4 years and never had an issue and used alarm daily until recently. Suddenly 2 weeks ago, alarm started going off in the middle of night. So we turned it off completely but still had issues with alarm going off during the day and night. It subsided after 3 days and we decided note to turn it on ever.

So alarm is still not being used. But last night had a sick toddler. Was in and out of hall 2 or 3 times at 3am. But on 4th time, I turned on the hall light and after a few minutes the house alarm starts blaring! Alarm saying "Upstairs Motion Sensor activated".

We have a fob for alarm but for the next 90 minutes we were waiting for the alarm to go off and then press the deactivate button. Alarm probably went off every 3 to 5 minutes.

What is going on?

There are two boxes - the actual alarm panel and then a smaller box with a red light and two aerials. Am I able to remove the alarm battery myself? Doesn't seem easy.

Dont really want to get whole thing replaced. Options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blakey1

Hi,
    Could be bugs shorting a board or sensor contact, could be a faulty board.
    Due to the age of your alarm, you're probably getting an engineer to look at it.
    Components and board degrade/burn out with age.
    Be careful to use a certified installer. Otherwise your insurance may not cover if you were ever burgled.
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 30 maire c

Thanks John. For our own sanity, we already concluded that we would have to call someone.

Haven't a clue about these things as never had to concern ourselves with this before.

So are we talking about an alarm maintenance company?

Recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

The alarm system that you have is obsolete.

Advertising on this forum is not allowed therefore i would encourage you to go to the PSA web site and look for a least 3 companies in your won area and get their advice from there.

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/ContractorList/1

Advertisement