Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clock Details and Value?

• 07-11-2019 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I bought this in portlaoise last year but never got around to getting it repaired. just realised the chime mechanism is missing, is this expensive to replace? Wondering if anyone knows more about these sort of clocks? i.e value, history etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

donaleire wrote: »
    I bought this in portlaoise last year but never got around to getting it repaired. just realised the chime mechanism is missing, is this expensive to replace? Wondering if anyone knows more about these sort of clocks? i.e value, history etc

While it's quite nice, I doubt if it's worth much. The heavy black marble funereal look isn't that popular with current tastes.

To repair it properly, a pretty penny. Traditional clock menders are a dying breed and never cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭zimmermania

donaleire wrote: »

It looks like black marble rather than slate which is often marbelised.
    If it is not coloured it is usually marble and if coloured usually slate.

This is a nice example though out of favour as it is thought to be "heavy" looking.It is probably Victorian,it was probably made by the Ansonia clock company which was set up around 1850 when a brass making company joined forces with clock makers.

The works are not very complicated and it could be repaired easily enough.A clock collector might pay 150 to 200 for the clock so unless you want to hang on to it it would not be worth spending too much on repairs.

Advertisement