Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Perkins 4108 massive oil leak

• 16-10-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I have a massive oil leak beside the oil filter. I think that it is spraying out oil when it is 3k rpm(high rpm). It's spraying around 50cm to one direction. I bought the boat 3 months ago. I didn't have the problem before. The problem started to happen when I cleaned the air filter and then it got more power (max 3000rpm before 2.4rpm) and no more black smoke. :D I think that when it got more rpm it gets more oil pressure and starts to leak. I tidied up the oil hose but it did nothing. For me, it looks like it is missing one bolt. I think that I should block that hole with a bolt with a copper washer. Because in another site that hole is blocked.
    h ttps://photos.app.goo.gl/i6Ys4zzGW3f9SMD8A
    h ttps://photos.app.goo.gl/izJHHTq5htwe79jg6
    h ttps://photos.app.goo.gl/g3KHsVVisLpnQuP99

In this video about 1,6k rpm no leak but I can see oil shine in the hole.
    h ttps://photos.app.goo.gl/i6Ys4zzGW3f9SMD8A
    Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi simbav welcome, you won't be able to post photos or videos till you have more than 50 post sorry, going by what your saying I'm sure it will do no harm replacing the missing bolt you could even use a bit of plumbers tape to seal it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 simbav

Hi, the boat doesn't lose any more oil in the engine. It's funny because when I asked the old owner if the engine was burning oil. He said no, but I saw a few cans of oil :) The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago. I think the mechanics changed the oil filter to the new style oil filter and forgot to block up one hole. On the small revs, a tiny amount of oil drips under the engine. When I put it up to max rpm, it starts to spray. Now I fixed it. It doesn't leak or use oil. Nice and clean bilge. I bought the boat around 5 months ago.
    I spent about 200-250 hours working on the boat. I repaired and changed many things. I spent an extra 2500-3000K on the boat. Now I want to paint the bottom of the hull. From the sea line to the superstructure. How much will that cost? What's the best way to do that? Taking it out of the water is very expensive, it's around 300E and I don't have a trailer. I don't worry about Anti-fouling. I will clean that myself when the weather is getting warm. I think that I should paint the boat myself, but it is not the best idea in public marina painting, is it? Right now, my boat is moored in a public marina in Lough Derg for a winter mooring.
    Can you recommend anyone who can paint and check the bottom of the boat and the anodes and etc, for a normal good price?
    My boat is a Sea Master 813. It is was painted, not an original gel coat. I have another question about the green diesel. I have about 120L green diesel. So I can't use anymore? Because I read somewhere that it is illegal to use green diesel in the boat from 2020. Thanks. Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

simbav wrote: »
    Hi, the boat doesn't lose any more oil in the engine. It's funny because when I asked the old owner if the engine was burning oil. He said no, but I saw a few cans of oil :) The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago. I think the mechanics changed the oil filter to the new style oil filter and forgot to block up one hole. On the small revs, a tiny amount of oil drips under the engine. When I put it up to max rpm, it starts to spray. Now I fixed it. It doesn't leak or use oil. Nice and clean bilge. I bought the boat around 5 months ago.
    I spent about 200-250 hours working on the boat. I repaired and changed many things. I spent an extra 2500-3000K on the boat. Now I want to paint the bottom of the hull. From the sea line to the superstructure. How much will that cost? What's the best way to do that? Taking it out of the water is very expensive, it's around 300E and I don't have a trailer. I don't worry about Anti-fouling. I will clean that myself when the weather is getting warm. I think that I should paint the boat myself, but it is not the best idea in public marina painting, is it? Right now, my boat is moored in a public marina in Lough Derg for a winter mooring.
    Can you recommend anyone who can paint and check the bottom of the boat and the anodes and etc, for a normal good price?
    My boat is a Sea Master 813. It is was painted, not an original gel coat. I have another question about the green diesel. I have about 120L green diesel. So I can't use anymore? Because I read somewhere that it is illegal to use green diesel in the boat from 2020. Thanks. Simon

I would be inclined to use the existing diesel, as you can easily argue that it was bought when it was still legal to do so, and it is just the remainder. There has to be a "period of grace" to allow people to use up such diesel. Any future fills would have to comply. And who's actually enforcing this new regulation anyway? Plus, if you don't use it, you have to somehow dispose of it. Use it and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Green diesel doesn't bother some down my way :mad:
    Normally a Q for it.

This is a kerosene & green diesel pump.

Advertisement