Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Committee Issues

• 28-08-2019 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I’m a committee member of a sports club, I was on said committee last year and everything went reasonably smoothly.

This year the guard has changed, one of the new members has basically started to belittle me at every committee meeting, and is also slandering me behind my back telling people I’m incompetent and “I’m not delivering”.

He texts during work hours asking for a quick call and basically slates me over the smallest things without actually saying what the problem is until he had had a twenty minute conversation over the smallest immaterial things that I have done, where if he actually told me the issue I could say an easy solution. Hence going back into work and life feeling emotionally drained.

At committee meetings when I am updating on my remit, he shuffles papers, rolls his eyes, shuffling papers, asking what’s the point, questions literally everything I do badgering me to try and wind me up and asking leading questions that he knows the answer to in order to test me. I am the only person he does this to at present. I’m surprised that people don’t see this. I’m not overly sensitive as I work in a stressful job, but in that this behavior would never be accepted.

We have had two committee members and a coach resign because of them this year, yet still people think the sunshines out of his arse. He has done good work and a lot of work for the club and I agree with that.

The easiest thing would be to resign but would not be a solution to the problem, it would just solve it for myself.

I would in a work place environment go to HR... but I’ve no idea how to deal with it on a committee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Taking your description at face value, the guy sounds like the classic egomaniac who gets involved in a sporting organisation or charity for their own self-image/advancement. Sports clubs will always attract people like that, from committee level down to the coach who wants to be seen wearing the tracksuit in the local shopping centre. If you believe the guy is a genuine bully, to the point where people feel the need to resign, then articulate it to fellow club members including the prick gentleman himself. If he keeps a poster of John Delaney on his bedroom wall your club might be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

It'd be a risk, because it might not go the way you want, but if you really want you could ask the Committee for a vote of confidence in yourself.

If you win it, then he'll either have to change his ways, resign, or face a vote of NO confidence in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Talk to chair, secretary and see what they think. Talk to others about their thoughts on the person/people

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Meant to say thanks to everyones ages ago, resigned in the end! The bullying never stopped, the committee has had 5 resignations this far! Decided enough was enough. Let the John Delaneys eventually go F themselves in time.

Advertisement