Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No alco pub options.

• 18-04-2019 10:26am

*the heading of thread was supposed to read non-alco pub options sorry.

I have recently quit drinking (6 weeks ago) for life. I'm 26f and currently a student. I love going out to the pub /gigs/festivals/exhibitions and so on. I would go out about twice a week. I have started finding the whole thing frustrating when it comes to choice of non alco beverages.
    I have drank a variation of non alco beers but I find these to be super expensive and leave me with a headache, the other issue I have is people telling me it's not really an alternative and they have alcohol in them. Feel like telling them at least I'm trying >:(
    I don't drink coke or sweet drinks like that either as I don't have a big sweet tooth. I do like tonic water but when I have gone into pubs (pubs rather than bars with larger selection) all they serve is those tiny mixer bottles for like 2 euro. People have told me to drink water, which bothers me again because surely I shouldn't have to drink an effing pint of water as a treat?
    I want to feel like I'm sitting down like anyone else and relaxing over a drink that just so happens to be non alcoholic. Fed up to say the least today.
    Does anyone have any alternatives they enjoy whilst out?
    Would it be ridiculous to ask my friends to go to another bar because theres no choice for me? I might be too latched to the ritual of drinking still but I don't believe I should have to change my social life now I don't drink.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

Welcome to the club, I've had this issue for more years than I'd care to admit.

Traditional pub non alcoholic options for me are coffee, hot chocolate and tea. I usually have one of each before I call it a night. Of course even in this day and age it means I get odd looks when I order. The upside is, it can be a good conversation starter. Appeltise used to be a good option, I don't see it around much any more though.

There are some genuinely nice non alcoholic cocktails out there in restaurants and bars, but you won't find those in country pubs :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Why are some people so stingy! I'm not sure how much publicans make per drink, but I reckon they want a certain return regardless of whether you order a vodka, a soft drink or a beer. If the markup is €3 or 4, just be willing to pay it for the privilege of using the pub and don't be obsessed by the price-to-alcohol ratio, which (aside from students) is of more interest to alcoholics.

If you like tonic water, ask for a gin glass full of ice, a wedge of lemon or lime (give it a bit of a squeeze for flavour), and 2 bottles of tonic. Fill the glass with one and top it up with the other. Such luxury for the low price of €4. Sure you'd hardly buy a latte for that.

I like lime so here are some ideas... You could try ginger ale with a squeeze of lime, soda water with a dash of lime cordial, cranberry juice with a small bottle of soda water and lime, or just stick to tea or coffee..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Cranberry, lime and soda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

There are non-alcoholic gins you could try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I hear yah, I'm not a big drinker(partner is nearly two years sober) but I do enjoy ginger ale but it's a small drink. You should google mocktales and you should get some ideas on what you could mix. Love cherry flavour but they don't seem to have that here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hi OP - there is a new bar in Dublin city centre called The Virgin Mary that is Ireland’s first non-alcohol pub. It just opened a few weeks back.

Link:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/drink/first-look-inside-the-virgin-mary-the-dublin-bar-with-no-booze-1.3882601

Advertisement