Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leg cramps/Spasms - Soap in the bed????

• 17-12-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hello all,

I currently am suffering terribly with leg spasms/cramps at night time. So much so, I do not get a good night sleep and my leg is killing me the following day.

I do have a ruptured disc and am being monitored by consultants. I just started using magnesium sleep lotion and that has eased somewhat but still waking at night a couple of times, to the extent I am crying with the pain. :eek::eek:

I heard today about putting soap in the bed at night, has anyone heard of this and has it worked or helped somewhat?? Any particular soap brand you would use or anything will suffice.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Sounds like an old wives tale, but worth a go!

I had this problem before. Magnesium takes a while to build up in the system. Might be worth taking a supplement as well as the lotion for now.

If that doesnt sort it, see if your GP/consultant will give you a prescription for Quinine. Did the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I have heard this about Marseille soap, which should only be made of: vegetable oil (ideally only or mainly olive oil), soda and salt.
    Gave some to a friend who suffers from cramps, put the soap shavings in a small fabric satchel at the foot of the bed, and it seems to be working !

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

TheJet wrote:
    I currently am suffering terribly with leg spasms/cramps at night time. So much so, I do not get a good night sleep and my leg is killing me the following day.

TheJet wrote:
    I do have a ruptured disc and am being monitored by consultants. I just started using magnesium sleep lotion and that has eased somewhat but still waking at night a couple of times, to the extent I am crying with the pain.

TheJet wrote:
    I heard today about putting soap in the bed at night, has anyone heard of this and has it worked or helped somewhat?? Any particular soap brand you would use or anything will suffice.

TheJet wrote:
    Thanks in advance.

Just a thought. Are you on statins. If so this medication could be causing your problem of leg cramp. If so change statin.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I sufferered from restless legs and cramps nightly until I started taking a magnesium supplement at night.

I use the 500mg ones, Sona brand - they worked for me anyway. Bathing in Epsom salts helps too. Never heard of the soap thing - worth a try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

TCM wrote: »
    Just a thought. Are you on statins. If so this medication could be causing your problem of leg cramp. If so change statin.

Thanks for the replies.... Not on any statins.... I have also started to take a magnesium supplement too....

I will try anything at this stage really....might give the soap ago... sure won’t know until I try it I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

TheJet wrote: »
    My housemate stretches daily. It's now habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I don't think soap remedy would work better to consult with physician.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

TheJet wrote: »
    Hello all,

I do have a ruptured disc and am being monitored by consultants. I just started using magnesium sleep lotion and that has eased somewhat but still waking at night a couple of times, to the extent I am crying with the pain. :eek::eek:

Thanks in advance. :)
    Hi, firstly my sympathies as I know exactly what you are going through. Had back surgery 2013 for disc herniation but a lot of damage was done to my L5 and S1 nerves. It wasn't until 2014 that the awful leg cramps and spasms started at night- my record was 16 calf cramps in one night and then spasms during the day.

I tried everything doctors gave me and nothing worked (I can't tolerate Neurontin) and tried other remedies. So when it was suggested to try the soap in the bed, hell I was all for trying anything at that stage, even though as health professional I knew it couldn't possibly work.

First night made no difference. Second night I was in a great, deep sleep when the bar of soap fell out of the bed, thudded on to the floor and woke me up. That was the end of the bar of soap. :mad::pac:

What worked was getting a really good physio, doing nerve stretches and making sure muscles didn't get tight in my leg. Started pilates with a physio so they knew what was safe for me to do and not to do. Don't go to some random person who don't understand back injuries. If you are in the Dublin area PM me for my physio if you like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

...better to consult with physician.
    Agree.

Advertisement