Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most unusual/rare game thing you own?

• 09-09-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Or have owned!

The "pictures of collections" thing in the New Get thread inspired me. Pubes aside.

I'm sure someone has crazy stuff here like signed this or that. Not talking value-wise, but the weird and obscure too.

For arcade stuff I think the rarest thing I have is an old Sega game called Miwa Sanchan. It was badly converted to wonder boy, but I'd fancy getting it back to original. There's a collector in Japan who has one, but it's a conversion from another game. The galloping ghost arcade in the USA says they have one. So, without seeing any other mention, maybe my board is one of two confirmed.

Pilot Kids is another Sega game. I know of 6 people who own one, and only two are confirmed originals (not conversions).

And for obscurity I have an (maybe) original resident evil Jill valentine pistol from yonks back.

Any other curiosities floating about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Have got a Dave Haynie signed C128, met him at Amiga event earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

The chief engineer at commodore, cool!

Signing stuff must be weird if you're fairly famous, like if you were short of 20 quid you could sign your toothbrush and sell it :p

I remember seeing a panzer dragoon saga on eBay, signed by Yu Suzuki in silver writing. I think! Which is weird because he had nothing to do with the game, like a picture of Sean Connery signed by Roger moore.

Funny thing is that it sold for less than an unsigned copy in the end. Unless I dreamed it all?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got a working PSX, complete with a couple of hours of Japanese tv recorded on it's video recorder.
    Block Kuzushi isn't expensive but it is rare around these parts and it's the first thing Miyamoto designed for Nintendo.
    Not sure what else would count as rare tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My pink Hello Kitty Dreamcast is probably the most interesting and rare thing I have. Boxed ones can be tricky to get and it has the manuals, VMU and keyboard too. Missing one of the two included discs but can't complain for the price I got it at. 1,500 produced for each of the two colours. I'd like the blue one but they're €600+ and less common. I'm a sucker for weird and obscure things and this fits the bill.

I'd love to go down the rabbit hole of PlayStation development and test consoles but I'll keep my wishlist at the PSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have a 2 player Battle Gear 3 cabinet that I got off a member here. I don't think there's too many of them around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭pah

I have a sealed copy of excitebike for NES. Think it's worth a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

One of my rarest things(or weirdest obsessions) is probably my Darius Alpha collection. It's a weird one and most people dont get why owning many copies of a rare, but crap game is interesting to me.
    I do have way to many of them though :)

Weirdest hardware item, maybe my ROBO 3DO Hotel system.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You must at this point have the largest Darius Alpha collection in the world?

Every time a thread like this comes up, I immediately think of my prototypes and then it immediately reminds me of the Russians that were harassing me to dump and release 'Space Station Game' - (IE, the proto version of Zero Tolerance)

I even bought one of those Retrode thingies to dump it but it left such a bad taste in my mouth I didn't release it or any of my other prototypes.

They're all dumped and saved mind you, just not shared online. I'd assumed that Zero Tolerance version would have appeared somewhere but I did a quick search and can't see a rom...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Few rare games that are worth a few quid. Hyperdeul and Psychic Killer Taromaru on the Saturn. Suikoden 2. Gimmick.

In terms of hardware the weirdest thing I have is probably the Virtual Boy. Really should take it out and see if it still works. Absolutely love that console.

And a CDI... because nobody wants or needs to own one.

o1s1n wrote: »

I think so, or at least its highly likely. I mean I hope there's not another weirdo like me knocking around with a load of these.
    But they made 800, so it's possible someone else has a stash of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I didn't release it or any of my other prototypes
    Never heard that story, sorry to hear :( Wonder why it was 'the Russians' pushing?

The rarest game thing I own would be the Issue 1 ZX Spectrum 16k - first computer I ever used/played (prob not an Issue 1 but later, and it was a 48k) and in a way it got me into the world of computers and then a career in tinkering with them :) wanted to have a special one as a 'thats what caused the damage' finger pointing story

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Few rare games that are worth a few quid. Hyperdeul and Psychic Killer Taromaru on the Saturn. Suikoden 2. Gimmick.

In terms of hardware the weirdest thing I have is probably the Virtual Boy. Really should take it out and see if it still works. Absolutely love that console.

And a CDI... because nobody wants or needs to own one.

You actually bought Psychic Killer Taromaru in Japan didn't you? Nice to have a bit of a story behind picking it up too!
    Steve X2 wrote: »
    I think so, or at least its highly likely. I mean I hope there's not another weirdo like me knocking around with a load of these.
    But they made 800, so it's possible someone else has a stash of them.

Only 800? wow, so you can actually quantify the % of copies you own on earth, that's mad!
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Never heard that story, sorry to hear :( Wonder why it was 'the Russians' pushing?

It was a Russian group modding the original Zero Tolerance and they wanted the assets that were on my cart as they vary quite a lot from the finished game.

Someone anonymously linked me to a Russian forum where they were discussing me and ways to figure out how to get it from me. All in Cyrillic, but google translate sorted that for me, was pretty shocking :eek:

Subsequently received quite a lot of PMs across a few different forums like assembler games, everything from asking me to dump it, sell it, send it to them and they'd send it back (hah!) and threats :eek:
    The rarest game thing I own would be the Issue 1 ZX Spectrum 16k - first computer I ever used/played (prob not an Issue 1 but later) and in a way, got me into the world of computers and then a career in tinkering with them :) wanted to have a special one as a 'thats what caused the damage' finger pointing story

Am I remembering correctly or did you post screenshots of inside that a while back and it had hand made traces on the PCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Am I remembering correctly or did you post screenshots of inside that a while back and it had hand made traces on the PCB?
    Yup, thats very one indeed

Master of the Universe

I can't get over those traces - that should be on the 'oddly satifying' sub reddit :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You actually bought Psychic Killer Taromaru in Japan didn't you? Nice to have a bit of a story behind picking it up too!

Yeah got it in a little shop in Kyoto. About 400 euros. Went bananas on that trip. Spent about 6000 euros just on games I'd say :)

But it's also the moment when I started to slow down collecting. I was playing Taromaru and thinking I love this game but don't 400 euros love it. Hyperduel was the same price and same feeling. At least both are worth a lot more now. I kind of realised the rare games and even some common ones had just gotten too expensive and with no place of my own I'd no where to put them. So I've been slowly moving to everdrives but maybe if I get my own place and more money I'll start collecting again.

I found that I was always chasing the big rare games and then the more common games I said I'd pick up later were rising to stupid prices. I also found more enjoyment buying a massive box full of cheap but great games from Lukie games more rewarding than getting a rarity.

Taromaru actually isn't the game I associate with that japan trip. It's Radiant Silvergun. It's not even a rare game but it's held a price of 150 for the last few years but when I started getting into retrogaming and being a massive treasure fan it was holy grail to me. And the price of 80 euros at the time was utterly outrageous :D But I had always said for years that I would I wanted to go to japan and on that trip I'd pick up radiant silvergun do it was kind of a surreal and emotional moment to finally be in japan and have a copy of the game in my hands as I'd waited 20 years for it.

Only 800? wow, so you can actually quantify the % of copies you own on earth, that's mad!

2.125%
    Doesn't sound that impressive anymore :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The rarest game thing I own would be the Issue 1 ZX Spectrum 16k - first computer I ever used/played (prob not an Issue 1 but later, and it was a 48k) and in a way it got me into the world of computers and then a career in tinkering with them :) wanted to have a special one as a 'thats what caused the damage' finger pointing story

The only Spectrum I owned in the 80's was the 48k model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Too much cool stuff to comment on :)

About the kitty Dreamcast, a friend of mine was in Japan around the time they were releasing the resident evil blue and red editions, could have gotten one maybe but didn't bother in the end. Regret!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Every time a thread like this comes up, I immediately think of my prototypes and then it immediately reminds me of the Russians that were harassing me to dump and release 'Space Station Game' - (IE, the proto version of Zero Tolerance)

I even bought one of those Retrode thingies to dump it but it left such a bad taste in my mouth I didn't release it or any of my other prototypes.

They're all dumped and saved mind you, just not shared online. I'd assumed that Zero Tolerance version would have appeared somewhere but I did a quick search and can't see a rom...

If you wanted to release it, the folks on https://www.obscuregamers.com/forums/ will usually help with funding a release and help you get a good dump. Most prototypes released in the past few years come from here (old assembler games forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Steve X2 wrote: »
    One of my rarest things(or weirdest obsessions) is probably my Darius Alpha collection. It's a weird one and most people dont get why owning many copies of a rare, but crap game is interesting to me.
    I do have way to many of them though :)

Weirdest hardware item, maybe my ROBO 3DO Hotel system.

Have you still got the Apple 1 signed by Woz??? I think Steve X2 wins hands down

I've got some obscure vintage backup devices for old consoles. Does having every released boxed amiibo count as unusual? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

my entire MSX collection ... and then some rare and obscure and sealed stuff for that too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Not sure how rare ot even valuable it is but ive a fully functioning sony HB-75p they never took off in europe i dont think own it from new bought in 1985!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have an original run xbox 360 that hasnt had the red ring of death.

I also have hundreds if not thousands of old games for Atari 2600, C64, NES, Megadrive, PS1, N64 etc.. but looking at ebay, not very valuable stuff for the most part. Funny enough looks stuff that I thought wouldnt be worth the postage costs seems to be more expensive like the newer dreamcast stuff even the mainstream bits like powerstone, silver etc... are worth a little bit. My Samba D'Amigo kit as well. An unopened Majoras mask for N64 etc.. and a Paper Mario that I picked up late in that consoles life (I have a tendency to pick a primary console in each generation and then at the end or just after pick up the others cheap along with any platform exclusives that interest me).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

actually looking at one of those valuation sites now and Daikatana N64 and ISS 2000 are worth money ? Man I tried to give them away 20 years ago.... not that it matters since I am a hoarder, not a seller.

Have you still got the Apple 1 signed by Woz??? I think Steve X2 wins hands down

No, I moved than on about a year and a half ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what was the story of how you got it?

Skerries wrote: »
    what was the story of how you got it?

Got it many years ago(I was still a teenager) for about 40-50 pounds. Was in mint condition but not 100% complete(maybe 95%). Over the years I got the rest of the original parts to finish it off. So about 95 original parts, 4% replacement original parts and 1% new replacement parts.

There a whole story on getting the Woz to sign it that I wont go into here(too much to type :))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I feel like such a amateur with my collection stars being Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Vib Ribbon on PS1, and also God Hand on PS2.

I may have others among my SNES, Dreamcast, N64, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance and Gamecube collections but if I do, I'm not aware as they've been in storage for a few years now!

Master of the Universe

Vib Ribbon is such an amazing game. Absolutely love it.

I picked that up myself when Gamestop Bray were clearing out their PS1 games many years ago. They had a bargain bin at the front where the counter was with stacks upon stacks of ps1 games for a fiver (and under!) each.

I must have gotten to the pile just as it came out, as I ended up buying a mountain of really nice titles like Vib Ribbon, Kurushi, Devil Dice etc, couldn't believe my luck.

Unfortunately I was a broke student at the time, so I think I topped out at about 20 games, couldn't afford any more. Had to make some really tough decisions in the end. Shame these situations don't present themselves while we're gainfully employed adults, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Vib Ribbon is such an amazing game. Absolutely love it.

I picked that up myself when Gamestop Bray were clearing out their PS1 games many years ago. They had a bargain bin at the front where the counter was with stacks upon stacks of ps1 games for a fiver (and under!) each.

I must have gotten to the pile just as it came out, as I ended up buying a mountain of really nice titles like Vib Ribbon, Kurushi, Devil Dice etc, couldn't believe my luck.

Unfortunately I was a broke student at the time, so I think I topped out at about 20 games, couldn't afford any more. Had to make some really tough decisions in the end. Shame these situations don't present themselves while we're gainfully employed adults, eh?

I also love it as it's such a curious title. Really looking forward to filling in some gaps in my collection once I graduate next year and return to having my own place.

Advertisement