Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor insurance proposal form - employment status menu options

• 03-09-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Just curious in what scenario would an individual, enter these classifications under the "Employment Status" options menu on a Motor Insurance proposal form online.

Employment status menu options:

*Employed
    *Company Director
    *Self Employed
    *Unemployed
    *Retired
    *Household Duties ?
    *Student
    *Disability
    *Voluntary Work ?

A person could be registered as a Jobseeker which would be regarded as "Unemployed" but may be performing the role of a Carer for an elderly family member like a parent in their own home. Are they permitted to choose "Household Duties" or "Voluntary Work" instead of ticking Unemployed? These insurance firms should explain in what circumstances certain options are appropriate for selection. You could be Unemployed but also carry out voluntary work or household duties? All seems very unclear.

This is reflected on all of the below motor insurance broker firms:

its4women.ie t/a: MCL InsureTech Ltd.
    25plus.ie t/a: MCL InsureTech Ltd.
    Boxymo.ie t/a: MCL InsureTech Ltd.

The above also request to know the "Marital Status" which has become less common on motor insurance proposal forms in recent years from what I recall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd go household duties if I was living in the house with any other person who I was doing more household work than.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I'd go household duties if I was living in the house with any other person who I was doing more household work than.

Of course the easiest thing would be to select "Household Duties" at the point of submitting an online insurance proposal although; if you ever had a problem down the line and felt you had grounds to make a valid claim, the insurance company are likely to examine everything on a policy very closely and find a way out of paying and they may choose to dispute a proposer's interpretation on something like this issue. The devil is usually in the detail.

Just wondering if there is a consensus of views out there on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you are unemployed, you are not a carer or voluntary worker. With all due respect, there are many options and it should be easy to get one to fit your circumstances.

You are right to say insurers will look at every answer you have given in the event of a claim. However, this is to ensure the information you provided to get cover reflects the true situation and not to get out of paying a claim. Paying claims is their function

If you are unemployed, you are not a carer or voluntary worker. With all due respect, there are many options and it should be easy to get one to fit your circumstances.

You are right to say insurers will look at every answer you have given in the event of a claim. However, this is to ensure the information you provided to get cover reflects the true situation and not to get out of paying a claim. Paying claims is their function

Just read your contribution and with all due respect I would have to take issue with the statement that if one is unemployed, one cannot be a carer or engaged in voluntary work.

Who is a person in receipt of "Carer's Benefit" employed by?

For example: An actor could be unemployed for long periods and may engage in voluntary work if they cannot obtain paid employment in between their chosen career.

Are you really suggesting that nobody
    (i) who may find themselves in a carer role due to personal circumstances,
    or
    (ii) engages in voluntary work
    are never regarded as unemployed even if they are in that situation?

In my experience, things are more complex nowadays and there was probably a time when it was more clear cut.

I would seek advice and clarification from the Insurance firm before entering into any contract is probably the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just read your contribution and with all due respect I would have to take issue with the statement that if one is unemployed, one cannot be a carer or engaged in voluntary work.

Who is a person in receipt of "Carer's Benefit" employed by?

For example: An actor could be unemployed for long periods and may engage in voluntary work if they cannot obtain paid employment in between their chosen career.

Are you really suggesting that
    (i) nobody who finds themselves in a carer role which may be due to personal circumstances,
    or
    (ii)engages in voluntary work
    are never regarded as unemployed if they are in that situation?

In my experience, things are more complex nowadays and there was probably a time when it was more clear cut.

I would seek advice and clarification from the Insurance firm before entering into any contract is probably the best way to go.

To be unemployed you have to be looking for and available for work. A career already is working so that is treated differently. If you are in receipt of unemployment assistance you aren't suppose to be doing voluntary work as that means you aren't available for paid work.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    To be unemployed you have to be looking for and available for work. A career already is working so that is treated differently. If you are in receipt of unemployment assistance you aren't suppose to be doing voluntary work as that means you aren't available for paid work.

Your point is 100% correct as far as Dept of Social Welfare requirements - no issue with it.

The query initially raised was the multiple options on the motor insurance proposal form. You could have an unemployed person not in receipt of a social welfare payment that falls into more than one category on an insurance proposal which can cause some confusion.

Again, it is really one for the insurance firm to decide provided that all the facts are relayed to them in advance of completing a contract by the proposer in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's a simple question, that requires a simple answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I would go with the most 'common-sense' description that applies to yourself.

This choice is a 'snapshot' at time of inception. People change personal things all the time: job, promotion, marital status, parental status. No-one is expecting all those to be updated 'live' during a policy.

So you can be Household Duties today, and decide to get a job next week.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement