Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing a Ryanair flight

• 28-06-2020 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

My wife and I are due to fly to Faro in two weeks time. At this stage, it looks as if the flight is going to go ahead, but we are unsure whether we should travel. If the government travel advisory remains in place (and, in particular, the 14 day quarantine on return), then we probably won't travel.

I decided to have a look at the Ryanair website today to see how much it would cost to change our flights to this time next year. I went into manage booking and I chose particular flights and then tried to see how much it would cost. I was asked to click on a button saying confirm change. I presume I would not be committed to the change until I press a payment button on the next screen, but I wanted to check this just to make sure.

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

abff wrote: »
    My wife and I are due to fly to Faro in two weeks time. At this stage, it looks as if the flight is going to go ahead, but we are unsure whether we should travel. If the government travel advisory remains in place (and, in particular, the 14 day quarantine on return), then we probably won't travel.

I decided to have a look at the Ryanair website today to see how much it would cost to change our flights to this time next year. I went into manage booking and I chose particular flights and then tried to see how much it would cost. I was asked to click on a button saying confirm change. I presume I would not be committed to the change until I press a payment button on the next screen, but I wanted to check this just to make sure.

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) please?

I can confirm you are not locked into a change until you charge the change fee to your debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

And the prices are extortionate be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Given the latest announcement about the quarantine being extended until at least 20th July, I decided to have another look at changing our flights to next year. The difference in fares is only €94, but there is a further €180 in change fees, giving a total cost of €274.

The fact that Ryanair are charging this level of fees to change flights when there is a government advisory in place against non essential travel and a possible 14 day quarantine on return is totally deplorable, in my opinion. I wonder will the government put pressure on them to waive change fees? I'm going to wait a couple of days to see what happens in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Given the latest announcement about the quarantine being extended until at least 20th July, I decided to have another look at changing our flights to next year. The difference in fares is only €94, but there is a further €180 in change fees, giving a total cost of €274.

The fact that Ryanair are charging this level of fees to change flights when there is a government advisory in place against non essential travel and a possible 14 day quarantine on return is totally deplorable, in my opinion. I wonder will the government put pressure on them to waive change fees? I'm going to wait a couple of days to see what happens in this regard.

I'm in the same boat. We're due to go to Alicante on the 19th July. My wife works in the front line in Beaumont, and has been treating Covid patients. She doesn't want to expose any potential virus to anyone, and has first hand experience of seeing what it does, and therefore is consciously minimising the risk to everyone she comes in contact with.

HSE have also informed staff to take mandatory 2 weeks leave for quarantine on return. I tweeted and DMed Ryanair this morning, but have yet to get a reply. To be honest, I'm not looking for a refund. A voucher will do, as I'll use it within the next year

flanzer wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not looking for a refund. A voucher will do, as I'll use it within the next year

I’m also not looking for a voucher. I’m even prepared to pay them additional money right now in order to book flights next year that are more expensive than the flights I booked for this year. But I strongly object to having to pay an additional €180 on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

flanzer wrote: »
    HSE have also informed staff to take mandatory 2 weeks leave for quarantine on return.

Yep! Also been a whisper around that even if the 14 day is lifted the HSE will not lift it for their staff. Can't see that happening but the way things are going nothing would surprise me any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yep! Also been a whisper around that even if the 14 day is lifted the HSE will not lift it for their staff. Can't see that happening but the way things are going nothing would surprise me any more!

Yeah I heard that too. I wonder if the government will issue guidelines to airlines to treat certain types of people differently regarding refunds/vouchers e.g front line, high risk etc, with proof obviously. It's a mess alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Use it or lose it with regards to Ryanair. These flights are all operating with barely any passengers so they don't have to refund anyone.

I spent over an hour online yesterday in order to make contact with a customer agent. Part of the delay was my own fault. After about 30 minutes of nothing happening, I refreshed the page and got kicked out and had to start all over again at the back of the queue. Something to be aware of if you're using their online chat service.

Anyway, I finally got through to somebody and he confirmed that I am not entitled to a refund and that they are not prepared to waive the change fee if I want to move to another flight. I asked him how do I go about cancelling a flight and he said that there is no option to cancel a flight and no need to notify them if you don't intend to travel. You just don't show up for the flight and you can submit a claim for the repayment of government taxes within 31 days of the flight.

Any such claim is subject to an administration charge of €20 per person so you will not receive anything if the taxes are less than the admin charge. He was unable (or unwilling) to tell me how much the taxes are on a return flight to Faro. I've tried searching online and I have been unable to find this information. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Saw that a flight i'd booked was around €30 cheaper now than when I booked it, so I went on the Ryanair app and swapped it for another and booked the original cheaper, couldn't be easier!

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Saw that a flight i'd booked was around €30 cheaper now than when I booked it, so I went on the Ryanair app and swapped it for another and booked the original cheaper, couldn't be easier!

I presume that was a flight booked since June that you were able to change without an admin charge? Mine was booked last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Mine was booked last October.

Yeap...

Well, that's the end of that so, there's nothing to say they will change or refund you.

Getting back to my query in post #10, does anyone know where I can find out how much the taxes are on a return trip from Dublin to Faro? I've no desire to pay Ryanair's exorbitant flight change fees, but I would like to know how much I would be able to reclaim before I make a final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Getting back to my query in post #10, does anyone know where I can find out how much the taxes are on a return trip from Dublin to Faro? I've no desire to pay Ryanair's exorbitant flight change fees, but I would like to know how much I would be able to reclaim before I make a final decision.

It’ll show the price breakdown in your booking confirmation. You’ll be lucky to get 20 quid back after their admin fee in my experience.

It’ll show the price breakdown in your booking confirmation. You’ll be lucky to get 20 quid back after their admin fee in my experience.

There's no split shown on the booking confirmation I received last October - just an overall total.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Any luck with this, also does anyone know if you can reclaim price paid for baggage if you dont go? £120 in baggage fees going to waste here

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Any luck with this, also does anyone know if you can reclaim price paid for baggage if you dont go? £120 in baggage fees going to waste here

No, unless you can claim it on your insurance. The only thing you can reclaim is any government taxes, minus €20 admin fee per person. At this stage, it looks like the only way I’ll get this information is when and if I submit a claim.

I’ve been trying to get written confirmation from Ryanair that the flights I had booked to and from Faro on July 12th and 26th were not used. I need this for an insurance claim. After trying every option on their website, I got to a page offering a link to a request for a “no show” letter and the link brought me to an error message. I then found another page saying that I needed to contact an agent to get the letter and I should do this through their online chat service or by speaking to an agent at their call centre.

I figured the online option would be quicker. It’s now an hour and 10 minutes since I submitted my details and I’m still waiting for an agent to come online. There’s a message saying “Please stay connected. You are in a queue for the next available Customer Care agent.” I’m afraid to type anything else, because the only previous time I used this service I pressed the refresh button and was kicked out and had to start all over again at the back of the queue.

I’m not sure how much longer I should hold on. I may not actually be in the queue any more, but how do I determine this without risking getting kicked out again? Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ba3

I’m not sure how much longer I should hold on. I may not actually be in the queue any more, but how do I determine this without risking getting kicked out again? Help!

Best to try them around 9-10am from my experience,about 20 mins wait yesterday and this morning but was able to chat to an agent,tried afternoon yesterday also and nothing after few hours ...

ba3 wrote: »
    Best to try them around 9-10am from my experience,about 20 mins wait yesterday and this morning but was able to chat to an agent,tried afternoon yesterday also and nothing after few hours ...

Thanks. I’ll give it another 10 minutes or so. I’ve been reading a book while keeping an eye on the screen and I’m typing this on my iPad.

• Advertisement

Had to go out, so I gave up after an hour and 50 minutes. I’ll try again tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Ryanair are certainly not making matters easier either.
    Tried to change flights and it's charging me 500 euro ( for 4 people) so ryanair taking compete advantage of the situation.
    The ordinary punter is being well and truly screwed by the government and ryanair.
    At least aer lingus are waving flight fees ( for flights bought before june).
    I for one won't be flying with ryanair again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

mikekerry wrote: »
    Tried to change flights and it's charging me 500 euro ( for 4 people) so ryanair taking compete advantage of the situation.

Not being funny but I assume you didn't book an atol-protected, all-inclusive, fully-insured holiday package with ryanair.. you booked a non-refundable flight and now you want to change it for whatever reason.

Why blame ryanair?
    They have a fairly comprehensive policy that allows limited changes due to covid by only paying the fair difference.

antix80 wrote: »
    Not being funny but I assume you didn't book an atol-protected, all-inclusive, fully-insured holiday package with ryanair.. you booked a non-refundable flight and now you want to change it for whatever reason.

Why blame ryanair?
    They have a fairly comprehensive policy that allows limited changes due to covid by only paying the fair difference.

Because of the green list I am trying to rebook flights.
    If Ryanair and the goverment had any decent policy there would be protection for customers who have to change their flights ( through no fault of their own) At least aer lingus are waving their fees.
    Either have a policy of no flights and at least let people get a refund or a voucher but not the current policy of screwing people.
    People would not be trying to rebook their flights only for this green list issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Why blame ryanair?
    You clearly dont know your facts its only flights booked from june onwards that can change flights for "free" any flights booked before that have a fee for each passenger each way and then on top of that whatever difference there is between fairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    You clearly dont know your facts its only flights booked from june onwards that can change flights for "free" any flights booked before that have a fee for each passenger each way and then on top of that whatever difference there is between fairs!

They have had that policy for flights booked since March.

They have had that policy for flights booked since March.

Incorrect . I booked my flights in april and am asked to pay change fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I posted this in the refund thread but then just saw this one.

I had a flight booked for mid July, took the voucher and booked a flight to Spain for early Sept as I stupidly thought things may have quietened down in Spain.

We're looking at Malta for the same time but when I went in to change the flights it was costing 180 to change, it's supposed to be free isn't it?

Anybody have this issue?

Roanmore wrote: »
    I posted this in the refund thread but then just saw this one.

I had a flight booked for mid July, took the voucher and booked a flight to Spain for early Sept as I stupidly thought things may have quietened down in Spain.

We're looking at Malta for the same time but when I went in to change the flights it was costing 180 to change, it's supposed to be free isn't it?

Anybody have this issue?

It's only flights in june and july they are allowing people change for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

mikekerry wrote: »
    It's only flights in june and july they are allowing people change for free

Oh cool, I booked at the end of June to fly to the the canaries on Fri coming , I'd kinda given up on it ..I'll see now if I can change it ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement