Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MattTheHack

Hi All,

I, like a lot of other unfortunate people, had quite expensive flights booked for the Easter period which COVID unceremoniously put to death.

My flights were to LA for myself and my partner, our dream holiday, which we're happy to postpone until next year while the world recovers, but I'd rather not have 2k resting in Aer Lingus's bank account right now. We could do with that money!

I've seen some people have had success with using their Banks Chargeback facility to get their money back. I submitted my refund request to Aer Lingus on March 30th and have rang them numerous times since. While I've had the monetary refund confirmed twice on the phone I can't get it in writing, which makes me think that Aer Lingus will definitely try a "bait and switch" if they can get the legislation through regarding vouchers. A voucher for 2k is definitely not what I'm looking for right now

Can anyone here describe the Chargeback process and what's involved? I'm a BOI customer if that helps. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Nope, Ryanair have flights still available to buy via their app, seemingly without any restriction.

ya the flights we are scheduled to fly on the 6th June are available to buy and I can now check in:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    ya the flights we are scheduled to fly on the 6th June are available to buy and I can now check in:rolleyes:

That’s ridiculous

tom1ie wrote: »
    So I’m due to pay my final €700 off the family holiday on Tuesday.
    We are due to go on June 13th to Majorca.
    We have paid €1900+€600 so €2500 so far.
    I’ve been informed if we don’t pay the €700 final payment it will be the same as us cancelling so we will lose our deposit of €600.
    The only way we will get all our money back is if the DFA advise banning travel to Spain.
    Does anyone know what the DFA advice is?
    Will I be entitled to a refund, not a voucher I don’t want a voucher, of the €1900 if I cancel on Tuesday (I understand I’d lose my 600 deposit.)

from what I have seen this will be the case as you would break the contract

unfortunately you will probably have to fork out the lot to have any chance of getting the lot back

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I paid a deposit to Supervalu getaway breaks in February for accommodation at Easter. The hotel was closed per government restrictions. I have requested a refund of deposit and processing fees which they have come back with the below response.

Unfortunately we can't refund deposits as per our cancellation policy but we can offer free transfers of date and also put your deposit on hold until you are ready to travel again? We're in line with all other tourism provider's

Here is their cancellation policy per the booking email

Cancellations can be made with the hotel up to 48 hours in advance of arrival by using the link below in your email booking confirmation. Changes to bookings can only be made by calling the Call Centre on 0818 22 00 88, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. For cancellations within this time, or in the case of a no show, the first nights stay will be charged by the hotel. All deposits and booking fees are non-refundable.

I didn't cancel the break but am I entitled to a refund instead of these guys holding my funds indefinitely?

I would say most definitely yes you are entitled to a full refund

thats outrageous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

tom1ie wrote: »
    So I’m due to pay my final €700 off the family holiday on Tuesday.
    We are due to go on June 13th to Majorca.
    We have paid €1900+€600 so €2500 so far.
    I’ve been informed if we don’t pay the €700 final payment it will be the same as us cancelling so we will lose our deposit of €600.
    The only way we will get all our money back is if the DFA advise banning travel to Spain.
    Does anyone know what the DFA advice is?
    Will I be entitled to a refund, not a voucher I don’t want a voucher, of the €1900 if I cancel on Tuesday (I understand I’d lose my 600 deposit.)

Hi,

I was due to pay my final balance on March 18th but I held off and got another mail allowing me more time up to April 18th or something - I held off and waited as I knew there wasn't a hope of travelling on June 10th - The announced last week that they were cancelling all holidays up to June 11th - I contacted them and here's the reply that I got, I hope it helps (I booked direct with TUI):

"We have now cancelled all holidays up to 11 June’20 which unfortunately means that your booking is now cancelled.

We would like to offer you an option to move your holiday to a date in Summer 2021.
    We can transfer all existing monies paid to the new holiday, and we will also offer you a booking incentive of up to 20% of your original holiday price, to apply to the new holiday, should the new holiday be more expensive.
    Please note that this incentive cannot be applied should you choose a holiday that is the same value or cheaper than your existing holiday.
    If you would like to avail of the 20% reduction, please let us know within the coming days.

If this is not a suitable alternative, or you cannot decide right now what you’d like to do, we can cancel the booking and hold the funds until you can make a decision.
    Please note you will not be able to avail of the 20% booking incentive if you wait.

If none of the above options are suitable to you, you can cancel with a refund.
    Please note that due to the high level of cancellations, refunds are taking approx. 6 weeks to process."

Top class paddy
    paddy19 wrote: »
    Flight cancellations: Cash refund guide.

This cash refund guide applies to Ryanair and Aer Lingus cancelled flights
    originating in Ireland booked directly or indirectly through travel agents.

You will get your money back eventually, (Probably when Michael O'Leary and Willie Walsh decide the crisis is over!)
    Irish law allows 6 years for debt recovery.
    You will only loose your money in the extremely unlikely event of Aer Lingus or Ryanair going bankrupt.

There is still a risk that the Irish Government will pass a Greek style law that would allow businesses to pay consumers in mandatory vouchers instead of cash.
    This would stop both the Small Claims Court and CAR and would delay you getting your cash for 12 to 18 months.

If you’re not in a hurry the best advise is to do nothing.
    You could apply for the refund and put a note in diary to follow up in six months time.

Ignore vouchers offers, they simply limit your options unless they offer some bonus, Aer Lingus offered 10% extra and 5 year expiry.
    Several other airlines are offering 15% and 20%. Carefully review Terms and Conditions before accepting.
    A voucher is not the same as cash.

Guide:

Request refund for all processes.

You need to make a reasonable effort to inform the airline that you want a cash refund. This can be done online or by post.
    There is no requirement to spend your time jumping through the hoops the airlines erect to make it difficult to get your money.

You do not have to:
    1. Spend hours waiting for a response from the airline. Give it 15 minutes.
    2. Phone any call centre.
    3. Wait on chatbot.
    4. Accept or reject any voucher.

Despite what emails from airline might insinuate.
    You only need to make one refund request once.

Online refund airline request forms:
    https://refundclaims.ryanair.com/
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/refund-request-form/

You should get an automatic email reply.

If you find you are having a problem lodging the request you can always use the old fashioned An Post.

Mail cash refund request, your details, flight details the booking reference
    and that the request is applicable to all passengers and flights on the booking.

To:
    Refunds, Customer Service Department, Ryanair DAC, Airside Business Park, Swords Co. Dublin.
    Guest Relations Department, Aer Lingus Head Office, Dublin Airport, Co Dublin K67 PW99

You do not have to send this letter by registered post.

You can make your claim 10 days after you have requested your refund.

Best Option:
    1. www.flightrights.ie CAR (Commission for Aviation Regulation).

CAR operate a complaint process for refunds that is easy to use, works well and is totally FREE.

https://www.flightrights.ie/home/com...edure.452.html

Ignore 4-6 week wait, lodge complaint today.

Chances of success: Very good.

2. Small claims court. €25 non refundable fee. Airline response in 15 days.
    Five step guide here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

Don't be put off by the court in the title, it is all online, you don't have to appear or hire a solicitor.

Airline has to respond within in 15 calendar days.

Chances of success: Very good.

3. Chargeback This is a voluntary process operated by the banks.
    It is not a legal process.

Each bank is responsible for their own process so different banks handle chargeback in their own way.
    The major credit card companies have guidelines but it seems that each bank can largely do whatever they like.

Most banks don't want the hassle and will produce lame excuses that the airline is offering a voucher.
    You could complain to the Central Bank but it's history on consumer protection is lamentable.

N26 simply cancel the charge and put the money in your account. The airline can dispute the claim within 30 days.
    Good reports for Bank of Ireland.

AIB (the government owned bank) simple refuse all requests.
    Other banks request the money from the airline and allow them various periods usually 30 days to come back.

Chances of success: Limited

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058069347

4. Travel insurance.
    Insurance companies are just like the airlines they love taking your money.
    They are a lot more reluctant to paying money out.

Varies by policy and company.
    Insurance companies expect you to try all other avenues before they will even consider paying out.

Chances of success: Extremely limited.

Refund Background:

The airlines are delaying cash refunds for flight cancellations in clear breach of the law,
    EU261 Article 8 which states:

Right to reimbursement -
    "Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall
    be offered ...... (a) — reimbursement within seven days"

The airlines have employed a range of tactics to hinder the consumer requesting or getting a refund.

This is not a Covid problem, employee distancing issue or lack of computer software resources.

The airlines have your money and they want to keep it and sell you restrictive vouchers.
    Not only do they want to hold on to your cash but they would to add restrictions to allow them to pocket it and provide you with no service.
    Better described as robbery!

At a minimum the airlines should provide some sort of bonus without restrictions for keeping your money.

Despite what Michael O’Leary claims the refund process can be automated.
    Sad that the regulator bought this waffle without consulting any computer expert.

The airlines could setup a wallet system with an option to request a refund from the wallet.
    Money in the wallet could be treated like cash.

Shane Ross/Heather Humphreys are threatening to introduce legislation that will force passengers to accept mandatory vouchers instead of cash refunds.
    They have supported 11 other countries in a proposal to the EU. This will lock up your money for 12 to 18 months.

All of these tactics are designed to delay you getting your money.

Ryanair are upfront in breaking the law and have no plan in complying with the law until Michael O'Leary deems "the crisis has passed".
    He claims he cannot automate cash refunds. TicketMaster,
    not exactly a leading light in consumer satisfaction, do just that when a concert is cancelled. He could if he wanted to.

The Commission for (No) Aviation Regulation (CnAR) has supported this
    deliberate breach of the law in its statement referencing employee safety.

Aer Lingus are fast with 7 day promises but when questioned talk about 2 to 3 months delay.

It’s not capability, it’s motivation that delays the airlines giving you back your money.
    CnAR needs to provide the Motivation.
    A €100 fine, per refund, per day and the airlines would have every refund processed in 72 hours.

Why can't CnAR support a system that allows 7 day cash refunds for the people who want cash and offer a great bonus offer for everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Update on my Aer Lingus refund request.

Applied for a charge back via Revolut on 22 April.

Revolut contacted me today, 5 May, and asked for a copy of the flight details, an email to Aer Lingus looking for a refund and evidence that the flight was cancelled. I sent the flight details, an email that I sent and the Aer Lingus "important information" email.

Revolut have now raised a request via Visa. The "merchant bank" has 30 days to reply. If there is no reply within 30 days, I get the money back.

Nothing back from Aer Lingus yet.
    Nothing back for over 2 weeks from FlightRights.ie.
    SCC case paid and open since 30 April.

The saga continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

JTMan wrote: »
    Update on my Aer Lingus refund request.

Applied for a charge back via Revolut on 22 April.

Revolut contacted me today, 5 May, and asked for a copy of the flight details, an email to Aer Lingus looking for a refund and evidence that the flight was cancelled. I sent the flight details, an email that I sent and the Aer Lingus "important information" email.

Revolut have now raised a request via Visa. The "merchant bank" has 30 days to reply. If there is no reply within 30 days, I get the money back.

Nothing back from Aer Lingus yet.
    Nothing back for over 2 weeks from FlightRights.ie.
    SCC case paid and open since 30 April.

The saga continues.

Thanks for the update JTman.

I think we might have buried flightrights with requests!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hi All,

I, like a lot of other unfortunate people, had quite expensive flights booked for the Easter period which COVID unceremoniously put to death.

My flights were to LA for myself and my partner, our dream holiday, which we're happy to postpone until next year while the world recovers, but I'd rather not have 2k resting in Aer Lingus's bank account right now. We could do with that money!

I've seen some people have had success with using their Banks Chargeback facility to get their money back. I submitted my refund request to Aer Lingus on March 30th and have rang them numerous times since. While I've had the monetary refund confirmed twice on the phone I can't get it in writing, which makes me think that Aer Lingus will definitely try a "bait and switch" if they can get the legislation through regarding vouchers. A voucher for 2k is definitely not what I'm looking for right now

Can anyone here describe the Chargeback process and what's involved? I'm a BOI customer if that helps. Thanks!

Just quoting so people can see it. It got merged in from a new thread and so got lost a bit...

• Advertisement

Good news and bad news.

Good news that you are a BoI customer - BoI have a good track record in paying out on charge backs unlike AIB and PTSB.

Bad news is that it requires a paper form to be complete.

The process is well described here.

Conor Pope reports today:
    "The number of queries and complaints received by the CAR started to rise in early April, hitting around 25 a day last week,
    and rising to almost 200 a day on average in recent days."

www.flightrights.ie could be getting overloaded. Now it is "queries and complaints" so a lot of these may not become official complaints.
    Hopefully they are able to move some extra resources from the other departments.

Of course if CAR hustled Ryanair and Aer Lingus to automate the refund process
    they wouldn't be getting one tenth of the complaints.
    Or alternately get the airlines to introduce a wallet system with optional refunds
    which would eliminate Michael O'Leary problem with staff at home.

If you are really stuck for your money you might want to go the SCC route.

5 step guide here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Chargeback against Ryanair submitted to Ulsterbank Debit card section 29/04 just got a email from bank saying they'll be in touch with me by 22/06/2020, gee whiz thats just great......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What a year!
    It really isn't until travel grinds to a halt we realise how much we actually travel!

Waiting on a refund from my son's cancelled trip to Barcelona.
    That was booked by the school via Topflight's school tour dept, whom are still trying to avoid refunding the money.
    He also was supposed to be going to India in October (now cancelled) but another refund that is being long fingered by the provider.

Our summer holiday which is booked as separate flights and accommodation.
    Will likely take the voucher option from Aer Lingus for the flights and the accommodation has previously offered refund on confirmation of travel restrictions over our booking dates.
    Email sent to them and awaiting a reply now.

We were also booked to travel to Sardinia for a family wedding in September, via a bloody convoluted route and a combo of Ryanair and easyJet that will likely also be cancelled if the rumblings out of Italy regarding restricting inbound tourists are true.

Seeing it listed, I'm kinda shocked how much we had booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Has anyone managed to get a refund from Ryanair yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Hi All,

I am meant to fly out with the family in the middle of June, the flight is still scheduled to go. Do I first have to wait to see will the flight is cancelled or contact them and look for a voucher now ( I actually dont mind the voucher option at the moment as they could always wait till the flight day and i would get nothing).

Thanks.

This thread was better suited to Travel forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭limabromac

Hi All,

I am meant to fly out with the family in the middle of June, the flight is still scheduled to go. Do I first have to wait to see will the flight is cancelled or contact them and look for a voucher now ( I actually dont mind the voucher option at the moment as they could always wait till the flight day and i would get nothing).

Thanks.

You have to wait until they cancel the flight..

GazzaL wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get a refund from Ryanair yet?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

my claim has been approved with the SCC ,fee paid, so just a waiting game now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

jonnny68 wrote: »
    my claim has been approved with the SCC ,fee paid, so just a waiting game now.

Good for you.

Out of interest are people including the €25 paid to the SCC or any other expense such as phone calls etc. in their claims. Is this allowable?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭eltonyio

Phone calls I don't know about but the €25 fee cannot be included as far as I'm aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    email from Aer Lingus this morning advising refund has been paid, 10 working days blah blah blah

got it this morning,

deposit i had paid for flights was returned to my revolut card on sunday and the remainder to my KBC account today

now to just wait for Ryanair, wont hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

limabromac wrote: »
    You have to wait until they cancel the flight..

So if the flight goes ahead Im pretty well fecked so.

got it this morning,

deposit i had paid for flights was returned to my revolut card on sunday and the remainder to my KBC account today

When did you put in a claim with Aer Lingus?

I made a submission on 16 March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

JTMan wrote: »
    When did you put in a claim with Aer Lingus?

I made a submission on 16 March.

flight was meant ot be on the 18th

got thier cancellation notifaction on the 26th March

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Hi All,

Thanks.

Hi, we're in the same boat pardon the pun.Family holiday flights booked with Aer Lingus due to fly to Sardinia on June 17th.Got a reply to my email from them today claiming that the flight is still operating, it is not cancelled.Options offered were cancel now and lose my money or re book for a time in the future.How are they allowed to carry on like this?Not only do we all know there is no way that flight is going but we all know Aer Lingus are engaging in a game of who blinks first with their customers.Its outrageous.You buy something but the seller says it doesnt know if it can now provide the service.Ok give me my money back then.Hang on, we MIGHT be able to provide it but we'd prefer you re booked anyway.Okay when will you know if you can or can not provide it?We cant tell you!
    We're all suffering through this virus not just Aer Lingus, Ryanair, et al.
    I dont really feel like I have any option other than waiting this out until they cancel the flight a day or two before its due to go ( another middle finger to the customer that they are allowed to get away with) and then claim a refund or voucher.Unless they go back to flying empty planes so they can keep your money.....

flight was meant ot be on the 18th

got thier cancellation notifaction on the 26th March

Interesting, Aer Lingus are clearly not processing refunds in the order the request was received.

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Hi, we're in the same boat pardon the pun.Family holiday flights booked with Aer Lingus due to fly to Sardinia on June 17th.Got a reply to my email from them today claiming that the flight is still operating, it is not cancelled.Options offered were cancel now and lose my money or re book for a time in the future.How are they allowed to carry on like this?Not only do we all know there is no way that flight is going but we all know Aer Lingus are engaging in a game of who blinks first with their customers.Its outrageous.You buy something but the seller says it doesnt know if it can now provide the service.Ok give me my money back then.Hang on, we MIGHT be able to provide it but we'd prefer you re booked anyway.Okay when will you know if you can or can not provide it?We cant tell you!
    We're all suffering through this virus not just Aer Lingus, Ryanair, et al.
    I dont really feel like I have any option other than waiting this out until they cancel the flight a day or two before its due to go ( another middle finger to the customer that they are allowed to get away with) and then claim a refund or voucher.Unless they go back to flying empty planes so they can keep your money.....

That's the game all right.
    Delay, deflect, defend, deny.

It's really bad that they are tagging flights as "Sold Out" which they know are never going to fly and are still pricing flights for June.

The AL voucher with 10% bonus and 5 year expiry date is not bad but it does not allow a no fee name change. The should have gone the whole hog if they trying to create a great voucher.

Where is the regulator, the Commission for (no) Aviation Regulation that not only allows airlines to break the law but actively supports them when they justify delays by claiming that "cash refunds cannot be automated".

Reminds me of the banking regulator during the last crash. Retired with a fat pension I believe.

Of course our Ministers Ross and Humphreys are ready to reward this illegal behaviour by making vouchers mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

As it stands I am waiting 2.5 weeks to hear from the CAR. Got a partial refund from Ryanair in early March but am due over €110 still. On 30 March they told me there was a Paypal error and it would take a further 28 days. It's now 36 days.

Spend 4 weeks arguing with Paypal, filed a dispute, they denied it. Disputed it for weeks but there was no budging.

It's now heading for two months since I applied for a refund for my cancelled flight. Holding out for CAR as the SCC fee is over 20% of what I'm owed. I know some people are out four figures but I am currently on JSB so it matters to me to get it back.

Advertisement