Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coral Players Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Somehow this is going to 4-4 and you have to think selby is clear favourite from here. Hard to say what happened to maguire, going great guns, then seemed to fall in a hole.

Gentleman Joe 4-2 down here against Bingtao; neither playing very well at all tonight.
    I can see a comeback from Joe. Yan too skittish a lot of the time - missing and running out of
    position too much for me although he's ahead.

I think Joe wins this as he has better composure overall I feel.

Could be worth a bet in running. About 6 - 7/1 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah I agree. Yan turning down that black to center wasn't a good sign. Been a few great pot's to the center pocket this event and that one was easy in comparison.

Yan's throwing this frame away..

Just one foul 4 and it's there for the taking for joe

• Advertisement

5 - 2 now. Joe probably thinking of going to bed :)

Some good pots from Yan there when the frame was virtually over - nice yellow to middle.

Can't see Yan winning his next match if he wins this, as he well should.

Just one foul 4 and it's there for the taking for joe

A few good attempts there by Joe but he won't have minded dragging it out despite loosing it.

AllForIt wrote: »
    A few good attempts there by Joe but he won't have minded dragging it out despite loosing it.

Haven't seen Joe like this before. Banging the cue off the ground very unlike him. I reckon he's only at about 60% - pity because on another day he probably beats Yan 6 -3. Still a glimmer though. ~~I think if it was allowed he'd have thrown in the towel 10 minutes ago :confused:

Yeah Joe looks completely lost. If he could have mustered some form he'd be in with a chance to claw this back but as it is it's painful to watch.

Should have taken the freeball Joe - hindsight and all that :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah Joe looks completely lost. If he could have mustered some form he'd be in with a chance to claw this back but as it is it's painful to watch.

Very painful - I hope Yan wins in this visit..

I'd like to here some input every now and then from the lads in the studio (apart from Rishi :p who's clueless) between frames. I think itv are missing a trick there; it would "add to it" as they say; not only this match but in general.

Not just the mid-session interval.

Anyway, melting pot job here imo, even at 5 - 3 Yan, and Joe playing atrocious..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Never really get too excited watchiing Joe Perry. Been around a hell of a long time but not a player i particularly enjoy seeing playing. I would include Maguire in that.

Never really get too excited watchiing Joe Perry. Been around a hell of a long time but not a player i particularly enjoy seeing playing. I would include Maguire in that.

I'd rather him than Selby. I think he's alright to watch usually, but then again he's not on TV match tables a hell of a lot. What's seldom and all that :)

I'd rather him than Selby. I think he's alright to watch usually, but then again he's not on TV match tables a hell of a lot. What's seldom and all that :)

A lot of players are like robots these days. Kyren Wilson is another that doesn't exactly get the juices flowing. He makes Cliff Thorbourn look exciting. I guess you cant enjoy watching every player. I enjoy 90% of them but there are a select few that i will gladly miss.

No, the match never looked like it was going to be too exciting on paper but I didn't think it would be this bad.

Maguire is in a different league to Perry imo but he's just not consistent. He's doing well lately though. I don't find him to be boring particularly but you just never know what your gonna get from him.

No, the match never looked like it was going to be too exciting on paper but I didn't think it would be this bad.

Maguire is in a different league to Perry imo but he's just not consistent. He's doing well lately though. I don't find him to be boring particularly but you just never know what your gonna get from him.

I like watching Maguire myself but usually when he gets to the business end/on a TV table etc... enthusiasm is tempered somewhat as one expects him to get beat unfortunately..

I agree on Wilson as well as the other poster - very boring. Don't much like Murphy either.. too pompous for me.

Lisowski usually a good watch, bit lacking in consistency though.

Roboticism appears to be the norm nowadays.... even with Judd alas at times - now that he's gotten his overall game in shape.

Need one or two more inconsistent "mavericks" ...

It's not that i particularly think Maguire is boring but i got fed up with his temper tantrums and constant aggressive facial expressions and uttering expletives. Also the only player to avoid wearing a bow (medical condition yea i'm sure). To be blunt, he has very little ettiquette and lacks basic table manners and i just dont like him for these reasons.

On the tie issue, as i hate wearing them and find them uncomfortable i would also be doing everything in my power to avoid wearing one. Alex Higgins usually turned up wearing one, but would make a point of furiously whipping it off before the match begun. It might just have made the smoking and drinking easier!

It's not that i particularly think Maguire is boring but i got fed up with his temper tantrums and constant aggressive facial expressions and uttering expletives. Also the only player to avoid wearing a bow (medical condition yea i'm sure). To be blunt, he has very little ettiquette and lacks basic table manners and i just dont like him for these reasons.

Some good points there even if I don't mind how he carries on myself..

Murphy, on the other hand has too much etiquette, like the other day playing Robertson I think - he left the table needing snookers after having tried to get them but failing... He done the "gentlemanly" thing apparently by letting the frame continue instead of conceding it there and then :(

• Advertisement

I agree on Wilson as well as the other poster - very boring. Don't much like Murphy either.. too pompous for me.

I like Murphy's snooker personalty. Saved some matches recently on deciders where he went all out, more recently in the Welsh Masters semi-final where he ended up winning it outright and in his last match at this event to keep him in it.

Yeah a lot of ppl feel that too. I guess it's just his way with dealing with the pressure. His frustration I always thought comes from a lack of commitment and underachievement from him. It's more his temperament rather than his personality. He seems like a nice bloke in interviews.

Some good points there even if I don't mind how he carries on myself..

Murphy, on the other hand has too much etiquette, like the other day playing Robertson I think - he left the table needing snookers after having tried to get them but failing... He done the "gentlemanly" thing apparently by letting the frame continue instead of conceding it there and then :(

I must say i quite like Shaun Murphy. His love and respect for the game shines through and he's a worthy ambassador for snooker. Carries himself well, speaks positively, doesn't disrespect opponents or referees'. I like his style.

I like Murphy's snooker personalty. Saved some matches recently on deciders where he went all out, more recently in the Welsh Masters semi-final where he ended up winning it outright and in his last match at this event to keep him in it.

[HTML]
    Yeah a lot of ppl feel that too. I guess it's just his way with dealing
    with the pressure. His frustration I always thought comes from a lack of
    commitment and underachievement from him. It's more his temperament rather than
    his personality. He seems like a nice bloke in interviews.[/HTML]
    He does alright, seems very friendly in interviews - remember seeing him with his kid in one once. But Murphy - A right goody goody - don't like him at all in interviews... Entertaining player to watch though - doesn't go into "turtle" mode very often..

I must say i quite like Shaun Murphy. His love and respect for the game shines through and he's a worthy ambassador for snooker. Carries himself well, speaks positively, doesn't disrespect opponents or referees'. I like his style.

He disrespected maguire all those years ago over the infamous chalk incident i would say. But thats long time ago and i think murphy is a lot better person than he used to be. Had a fairly tough life in many ways so do have lot of resect for him both on and off the table.

Could be curtains....

Come on Joe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jesus. I just want to go to bed. This is torture.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

It's so bad now that it's weirdly entertaining.

Yan far too profligate - doesn't deserve to win.... At least Joe has the playing badly excuse

• Advertisement

Yan far too profligate - doesn't deserve to win.... At least Joe has the playing badly excuse

At last!!!

6 - 5 Yan.

Best player overall, deserving winner, despite the above :pac:

Advertisement