Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CRT madness!

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Such a fantastic youtube channel on chassis repair:

https://youtube.com/@mikesamateurarcademonitorr6856

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have a nice Sony 29" Trini that's really in my way. Has some corona discharge. Feel free to give me some recommendations for a new good home for it of anyone wants to.

Having a bit of trouble with my widescreen Trini. Getting a lot of interference from any of the scart inputs im using.

Its on a stainless steel table. So i put a sheet of ply underneath the tv to see if that helped, it didnt. Theres a large crt beside it so i put a sheet of foil insulation between them to see if that help but it didnt either.

Anyone have any tips for finding out whats causing this? Using a ikea extension lead so could that be it?

Sorry that picture was meant to be a video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

I know you tried ply on the table, but is the table actually magnetic? If so, the table could still be the culprit. Hire a small crane for the day and move the Trini elsewhere to rule it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh there's a high probability it could be the CRT beside it too. If my cabinets are too close together I get a wavy interference on both monitors.

Possible to try testing it out completely isolated from any other CRTs ?

Oh i don't know that. The top is stainless but i think the legs and frame are steel so ill try that out over the weekend

Last time i plugged it in it had no issues so i guessing the table. I plugged out the crt beside it. But theres still room on the table. Ill slide it down as far away from the other one as I can and see too

Top of the table is magnetic. So ill lift it off and see if it still makes a difference. If it does ill have to come up with a solution....or find a massive new table

Been using my grundig crt on a stainless steel table for 6-7 years now and never any issue and thats magnetic too. The grundig tv is chipboard so probably a bit isolated from the metal. The trini is a early 2000's id guess and only plastic frame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

A metal plate between the table/set might help. Strange the table is magnetic?

• Advertisement

Yeah i was just reading up there on stainless steel there. Some of them are non-magnetic but it depends on the type.

Like fridge magnets stick to the table and to my old table aswell. Bit of an odd one

Had another go of this last night. Moved the crt away from the other one and picture was perfect.

Moved it back a few inches and happened again. So i guess that was the problem.

Picture looks great now. Had the xbox playing a dvd and the gamecube playing and everything was A ok. So its the general rule for crts i think. Once everything is working ok just leave it alone.

On a side note theres 2 good scart inputs and one crap one that gives a dull picture. Youd think on a good Sony set they would have all 3 of them good

Master of the Universe

Delighted you got sorted, was worried you might have to start looking at actual components soon. Those CRT magnetic fields can be crazy strong when putting them side by side.

Is it possible the crap scart input is composite only?

I do love watching DVDs on CRTs, the picture quality really is super crips over RGB.

Yeah id be pretty sure its just a composite input so picture is very much washed out and dull

Bad news.....had a dvd on tonight and maybe after 40-50 mins started getting interference again.

Ill open it up tomorrow anyway and see if theres any caps that look bad or anything and take it from there

Edit

Just reading up there that it could be the rf connector picking up something so I'll try and sheild that or something tomorrow and see aswell

Master of the Universe

I wonder could it be the degaussing coil causing interference? Might be worth disconnecting it if you are opening the back up.

I suppose though if it were any type of magnetic interference, so degaussing coil, other forces like CRTs close by etc you'd probably have colour discoloration too. I can't see any in the video you posted.

It might be worth chucking up a grid pattern on the screen just to see the extent of where the interference reaches across the picture.

Need to find my longer screwdriver before i open it up and see whats what.

Going to order new rgb console cables this weekend too. I need them anyway.

But in the mean time I'm going to get the rest of my arcade and room finished renovations and just leave the tv for a couple of weeks. Ill play dvds etc on it and see how it goes. Could just need a few hours of use too..... not likely but ill live in hope for the time being 🤣

I was at this again the other night, i cant leave it alone.

Same deal but i turned off the console and had the tv on to aee if it kept it up and i didn't seem to. So now im thinking its probably something to do with the bog standard cables not being insulated enough. Ordering a few new ones Monday anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seems like there are options for even terrible old CRTs,

https://hackaday.com/2023/08/16/new-motherboard-improves-old-crt-television/

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

For anyone in Clare there is a rare enough NEC 1970NXp 15k capable LCD monitor for sale cheap:

https://www.adverts.ie/monitors/computer-monitors/31924327

Example of it handing 15k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoLnpnUhlGY

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm guessing yes but its hard to tell ,cant see it well enough to know if the vacuum is gone, the pins normally protrude after the vacuum so may be ok,cant really tell if the parts afterwards are just guides rather than part of the "tube". Its hard try to put this into the right written words this morning !

Hmm, I just seen the broken glass and assumed the vacuum must be gone, but perhaps not? In terms of testing, is it a case of straightening the pins out, attaching the neck board, and going for a hail Mary?

I have two of these stored in the attic back home, but some gimp doing work in the house was up rummaging around in the attic and apparently used the neck of this CRT to store boxes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Yeah basically a hail mary alright ,if you are hooking it up power for like 1/2 second and you could tell, If noting major happens could go for 1-2 seconds then and so on ,you could get a bit arching if it was really open and vacuum gone ! but un-likley hence the brief power up at 1st. I'm sure there is other ways to test if it still as a vacuum but plugging it in is probably the easiest for me anyway ! 😂 A lot of these old cabs have arching monitors !! 🤔

its hard to tell from the pics (for me anyway ), it could be compromised further down from the boxes weight om it. some necks have just gone from changes in temp with no really visable crack.

Different tubes finish off the end slightly differently the seal normally happens before the pins protrude so there is that hope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Got a 90s sony PC trinitron from my local printer the other day. RGB and VGA input on the back.

Dead as disco though. Feels like it could be the power switch. I'll open it up and have a look when i have some more time. Just from looking through the plastic case its inside a metal cage inside the plastic case.

Master of the Universe

Nice one. 20 incher? I had one of them years back that I'd salvaged from my college's PC lab and it was an absolute beast, weighted a tonne. (stopped working about two weeks after I got it home 😥)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DeputyStagg

Hey guys,

I have a Sony Trinitron KV-28LS35B which works other than that every while it shuts itself off. See a very similar model going for around 100 quid on advert so don't want to chuck it to recycling, but have no interest in opening it myself. Wondering would anyone be interested in picking it up, no charge would love to see it go to someone who could get use out of it. Based in Waterford if that helps. Cheers

Advertisement