Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CRT madness!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I might swap out the crap Philips TV in the gamesroom for a Sony 29" one, only thing is it'll live on its side, and I don't want to kill it....
    But every Vert Shmup looks better in Tate!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This'd be ideal for tate mode games, nice flat sides to stand it up on. I think Andrew76 uses one of these?

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/sony-crt-television-21-tv/16815861

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Master of the Universe

Ooooh two 29 inch Trinitrons in the attic? That'd be amazing!

I think you'd have to build something to hold one of those monsters up vertically. From what I remember the speaker sides probably aren't up to the weight and they're not flat either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You really need to take the back off and se how the tube and chassis is secured to the case before turning it, its a lot of weight to be supported in the wrong direction.

• Advertisement

You really need to take the back off and se how the tube and chassis is secured to the case before turning it, its a lot of weight to be supported in the wrong direction.

That's the name of your sex tape! (with thanks to Brooklyn 99!)

Master of the Universe

How cool would it be actually to strip the tube and chassis out of the case entirely and mount them into a homemade wooden block instead. Could end up with something like this;

Hantarex_EQ21_Front-300x272.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have 2 of those black Trinis, they would not last on the side, speakers wouldn't take the weight.

I have to get the chassis on of them repaired. Any recommendations? Send it to grant?

Master of the Universe

It's a tricky one as the price of having them repaired/posted would be more than just picking up another TV.

But then on the plus side, you'd have two serviced chassis that would potentially last you years.

I have 2 of those black Trinis, they would not last on the side, speakers wouldn't take the weight.

I have to get the chassis on of them repaired. Any recommendations? Send it to grant?

does grant do consumer TVs?
    A arcade monitor is so simple compared to a TV with a tuner/multiple inputs etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Grant is highly recommended from me if, as BrownFinger says, he does TV's.

Did anyone here ever consider a cap kit for their TV? I've done several arcade CRT's but never a TV.

Turns out one of my mates dad's repairs TVs and has been doing so since the 80s.

He lives 10 mins out the road. Dropping him out the chassis on Tuesday. Hopefully he can do it.

The other CRT needs to just be cleaned out. Little bit of crackling coming from it when I first turn it on each time.

Grant is highly recommended from me if, as BrownFinger says, he does TV's.

Did anyone here ever consider a cap kit for their TV? I've done several arcade CRT's but never a TV.

Same thing, just more of them.

Might have to look for a square type Sony CRT instead, look better than the philips

Master of the Universe

Back to the one I posted earlier if Drogheda isn't too far north for ya? :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Back to the one I posted earlier if Drogheda isn't too far north for ya? :D

I'm driving to Carlow in the morning to collect a haul of 47 famicom carts!
    That and buying a copy of Super Smash Bros Ultimate, I can't stretch to another TV as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ARB

Interesting thread I never knew that there was such a thing as a PVM!

I still have a few normal CRTs, a 29 inch Trinitron like the ones posted earlier, a 28 inch widescreen Panasonic and Philips and a couple of 21 inch Fujtsu PC monitors. Some pics taken years ago below, the cat is long gone sadly but the TVs live.

467628.JPG

467629.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

quick resto video of that Philips CRT I found recently :

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

yeah I was lucky really. fully expected to have to do a full recap at least and maybe change the flyback but no it all worked right off :)
    This model had a green and a much rarer orange phosphor version

Finally cracked my 9 inch problem *careful now*

First of all I had 2 problems. I was using the Mega Drive to test, and my normal Sony TV isn't picking up composite signal from that. Apparently it's ridiculous bad and probably has something to do with RF.

So tried my audiophile PS1 on the normal TV and success. A couple of cables later on and I now have 2 of the tiny Sony PVMs successfully daisychained. I was trying to use the standard black composite cables as well as the proper yellow video cables. Even the yellow ones wouldn't work using the Mega Drive so that's where I thought there was a problem. But it's all hunkey dorey now.

Time to make a permanent setup for this now

• Advertisement

Picked up one of these

hr_6355.jpg

Hopefully get another CRT back from the dead :)

Master of the Universe

How did I not know this was a thing???

o1s1n wrote: »
    How did I not know this was a thing???

That is possibly the most amazing thing I've seen in a long time.

Must be easily do-able too.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/linking-four-ps2s-and-playing-gt3.6097/

Apparently you need a couple of Firewire/iLink cables, a Firewire hub, three PS2's, three copies of the game and three decent CRTs.
    The Firewire bits would probably be the most expensive, though three 29" Sony Trini's might be hard to store, between GT3 sessions!

That is pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That is wicked i've never seen something like that in a home set up before , loved GT 3 aswell

Master of the Universe

It seems you can actually link up to 6 PS2s for GT3 for multilink battles. That would be amazing.

Footprint wise, this would still look pretty excellent across three 14 inch monitors. Hmmm, an excuse to buy two more? :D

Master of the Universe

So a mate just got onto me to say one of his work colleagues is trying to get rid of a 36 inch Sony CRT and is wondering do I want it.

105kg in weight. Hmmmm!

Not sure of the aspect ratio. If it's a 4:3 36 incher that's some amount of screen real estate.

Get a picture and decide then

Master of the Universe

BA5F2370D2A0C065DD2315673BAB61ECFF44946E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

Hey guys ,I picked up this Jvc 17” monitor a few months back with some help and advice from the resident crt expert, thanks Oisin, only getting around to setting it up , lovely picture quality GameCube looks amazing but my supergun has a weird distortion in the picture, trying to look up the cause of it to get it sorted I will report back when fixed

https://ibb.co/3kPGtQT
    https://ibb.co/sjvJRs4
    https://ibb.co/yhHpKfT
    https://ibb.co/MfgJdfL

Advertisement