Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

In response to Philip Boucher-Hayes' documentary

Options
  • 10-03-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Vegetarian Society of Ireland
    Published by Maureen O'Sullivan · 7 hrs
    In response to Philip Boucher-Hayes' documentary on what he terms as "veganism", I have sent this complaint in to RTE. I will keep you appraised:
    School of Law,
    National Universisty of Ireland,
    Galway.

To: RTE Complaint

March 10, 2018

RE: Philip Boucher-Hayes Documentary on Veganism

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to make a complaint about the above programme which violates the European Convention on Human Rights and I would request that you remove this broadcast from all sites without delay and issue an apology and corrections to the misinformation contained in the broadcast. I lecture in Law at the National University of Ireland, Galway and I am Chairperson of the Vegetarian Society of Ireland. We also support vegan aims and the broadcast has caused deep offence throughout the country and beyond. You would not dare to make a programme about religious minorities which lampooned their food choices and showed their “sacred cows” being cut up and eaten. Your legal advisors may have failed to mention to you that Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights which relates to freedom of conscience protects beliefs such as vegetarianism, veganism and environmentalism on an equal footing to Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism and so on and, whether you like it or not, you are bound by this law and you have a duty to ensure that your broadcasts comply.

Your broadcast also violates equality legislation in the provision of services to minorities – would you make a programme which makes fun of the disabled, ethnic minorities, the elderly or those with gender identity issues? Yet, equality legislation also extends to those who seek to live their lives more ethically and you show a worrying dearth of knowledge in this regard. I was most surprised that you did not edit out Darina Allen’s comment that she thought that “cranky” vegans needed a steak. Ms. Allen presides over a large family emporium that recently has added a number of vegan products to its range (Cully and Sully soups, for example) so the somewhat ambidextrous approach to our “market” is not easy to rationalise and, again, violates our rights under the Convention (together with several other binding international and regional legal instruments). Moreover, would you have edited out a comment whereby Muslims or Jews were depicted as “cranky” for not eating pork? I suspect the answer would be in the affirmative and again, you are legally obliged to treat vegans and vegetarians in the same manner.

Likewise, we would like to know how the animals in the programme were killed and whether you ensured that this was done within the provisions of the Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013 as it is an offence under the Act to kill if this is done with “unnecessary cruelty”. We will require a detailed response from you. Whilst vegans oppose killing animals, I am interested whether you also acted with disregard for this law, given your blasé approach to the issue of rights.

Furthermore, justifying meat eating because “it tastes delicious” or because we’ve allegedly eaten meat for millions of years shows your utter unawareness of Ireland’s diversity – the Vegetarian Societies have been around for hundreds of years in Ireland and the Proclamation of the Republic was reportedly signed by seven members of the Irish Republican Brotherhood prior to the Easter Rising in 1916 in a Vegetarian Café, the Irish Farm Produce Café. Kirkpatrick and Faragó note that many advocates of Irish nationalism, feminism and animal advocacy also championed the cause of vegetarianism. You may have heard of the great Irish writer, George Bernard Shaw who said that “[w]hile we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth?” Shaw, incidentally, was the only person to have won the Nobel Prize for Literature as well as an Oscar. More recently, great cultural icons such as Sharon Shannon is vegan and a passionate advocate for animal rights, to name but a very few. Why was your broadcast not balanced with such examples? You are required to pay heed to balance under the governing legislation but you do not appear to be aware of it, leaving you open to liabilities in this regard.

I will not take up the many false claims about nutrition in the programme and the skewed premise of being given nutritional advice, refusing to follow it and yet giving a negative assessment of a plant based dietary adventure of one month as there are others better placed to request you to correct the many falsehoods in your programme. You bring investigative journalism into disrepute and you really have lost a lot of respect, caused a lot of upset and wasted a lot of time which could be used otherwise on the large amount of work that non-meat eaters do in rescuing animals, campaigning against their abuse and seeking to improve the wellbeing of all creatures of the Earth. If there are members of the community deemed “cranky”, it may be because we are dealing with massive injustices and are seeking to have them redressed. If you have nothing positive to contribute to us, please deploy your negativity elsewhere – or not at all.

If you fail to take this complaint seriously and address it in a satisfactory manner, we will have to consider taking this matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

National University of Ireland,
    Galway,
    Ireland.

E-mail: maureen.osullivan@nuigalway.ie
    Tel: +353 91 495627

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

It all depends on how sensitive one is,some have a sense of humour,others are easily offended.

Sure should we ban every opinion and we'll all be silenced ????

No

• Registered Users Posts: 16,472 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had not realized that vegetarianism was now protected under discrimination laws.
    So just so as I am certain not to offend, and to hopefully gain free advice from a law professor?
    Am I correct in thinking that the grounds of discrimination in Ireland are as follows,
    Civil status: includes single, married, separated, divorced, widowed people, civil partners and former civil partners
    Family status: this refers to the parent of a person under 18 years or the resident primary carer or parent of a person with a disability
    Sexual orientation: includes gay, lesbian, bisexual and heterosexual
    Religion: means religious belief, background, outlook or none
    Disability: includes people with physical, intellectual, learning, cognitive or emotional disabilities and a range of medical conditions
    Race: includes race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin
    Membership of the Traveller community.

I see no mention of dietary preference as a ground for discrimination?
    Unless it is being claimed via a Jainist/Hindi or other grounds?
    In which case, does your vegeterian society seek action under the grounds of religious discrimination?

I'd also ask what legislation requires RTE or any publisher in fact, to provide balance on a matter of dietary preference?
    Whilst political parties and referenda are subject to balance requirements, I am unaware of any such requirements for opinion?

Could you elaborate on those please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Don't see what law was broken, no ones freedom to follow their beliefs was hindered.

Also she needs to look at the science again. There is no evidemce that a plant based diet is better than a balanced diet that includes meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Escapees

With all due respect to the OP, I find the complaint to be not very professionally written and also somewhat unfocussed, considering that they have a background in law...

Edit: Also, is the OP representing the views of the school of law at NUIG? If not, then why include this as the correspondence address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I can see why some people would be upset/offended at some parts of the show but overall I thought it was fine, biased of course but fine. Funnily enough the part I thought graphic and hard to watch was the footage provided by the Vegan Society (which by the way is not representative of how animals are treated in Irish farms) I wonder had PBH taken on board the nutritionists advice re supplementation and sought more advice from vegans re recipes etc would his conclusion be different. Disappointing really as I have enjoyed PBH previous shows but this seemed really lack lustre and poorly executed. As for the letter posted above I'm shocked it was written by a law professor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's a good programme and I always watch. I think he was just not into the diet and it reflected on the show. He's a meat eater, no problem with that, and expect anyone to give up a large part of their diet for a month and they will be cranky and unenthusiastic. I believe the aim was to see the health impact if a vegan diet, to that end i wish he had taken the vitamins he was recommend to take and the outcome may have been different. If I was a meat eater I'd have found nothing in that show to encourage me to give up meat and dairy.

eviltwin wrote: »
    It's a good programme and I always watch. I think he was just not into the diet and it reflected on the show. He's a meat eater, no problem with that, and expect anyone to give up a large part of their diet for a month and they will be cranky and unenthusiastic. I believe the aim was to see the health impact if a vegan diet, to that end i wish he had taken the vitamins he was recommend to take and the outcome may have been different. If I was a meat eater I'd have found nothing in that show to encourage me to give up meat and dairy.

I'm not a fan of the show. I seen a clip of a previous episode where he infered that a chemical added to something was bad because it was difficult to pronounce.

The IUPAC name for vit c is as follows;

(5R)-[(1S)-1,2-Dihydroxyethyl]-3,4-dihydroxyfuran-2(5H)-one

Vit C also is a e number yet e number are supposedly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

It is a European law

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

The evidence is available freely to any who care to open their eyes. Please read "How Not to Die". it is totally based on proven facts.

Mentalmiss wrote: »
    The evidence is available freely to any who care to open their eyes. Please read "How Not to Die". it is totally based on proven facts.

No , the facts are that not a single study has shown a benefit to a vegan diet / plant based diet over a balanced diet that contains an appropriate amount of red meat.

The studies you are probably referring to show a plant based diet being better than a diet with a high amount of red meat.

You could argue that meat eaters tend to over indulge and there is some truth to that. But if you stick to a small amount of red meat , veganism holds no advantage.

Organic ( just a clever marketing term by the way) offers no health benefits either.

• Advertisement

It is a European law

European law protects Dietary choice as a ground of discrimination?
    Or is it European law that opinion pieces/editorials must provide balance?

Please outline the E.U directive that gives this credence along with the irish statute transposing it into the law of the state?

I really do want clarity on this, if your assertion is true.
    That diet is a protected ground of discrimination, or that opinion pieces must have balance it has severe reprecussions far beyond the programme you are unhappy with.

banie01 wrote: »
    European law protects Dietary choice as a ground of discrimination?
    Or is it European law that opinion pieces/editorials must provide balance?

Please outline the E.U directive that gives this credence along with the irish statute transposing it into the law of the state?

I really do want clarity on this, if your assertion is true.
    That diet is a protected ground of discrimination, or that opinion pieces must have balance it has severe reprecussions far beyond the programme you are unhappy with.

It doesn't ,

"Your legal advisors may have failed to mention to you that Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights which relates to freedom of conscience protects beliefs such as vegetarianism, veganism and environmentalism on an equal footing to Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism and so on and, whether you like it or not, you are bound by this law and you have a duty to ensure that your broadcasts comply"

Those people are free to believe whatever they want. Being critical of something doesn't prevent anybody from following their beliefs.

We're all going to die at some point.

Sure I'm dying laughing at the Op.

If we were all vegans lol we'd all look like the Simpson's...

Yellow, withdrawn, probably dysfunctional...
    Because a huge majority of vegans are militant femminists or anti be anything but themselves.

jh79 wrote: »
    It doesn't ,

"Your legal advisors may have failed to mention to you that Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights which relates to freedom of conscience protects beliefs such as vegetarianism, veganism and environmentalism on an equal footing to Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism and so on and, whether you like it or not, you are bound by this law and you have a duty to ensure that your broadcasts comply"

Those people are free to believe whatever they want. Being critical of something doesn't prevent anybody from following their beliefs.

Oh I am fairly certain it didn't myself.
    I would like to get the esteemed professor's viewpoint however as she seems adamant that discrimination was undertaken.

Given the structure of the complaint and lack of a cogent thesis I would worry as to the teaching standards at NUIG if that is the best a professor at law can come up with as a complaint.

OP , i can't find that statement online, where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I think the university would be more interested as to why you are purporting to represent them with your views

Hard to believe vegans are protected under EU law when EU law doesn't even have a definition for them

As for some of the arguments - the self-victimization is laughable

jh79 wrote: »
    OP , i can't find that statement online, where did you get it?

I think it was forwarded to the OP as an FYI from the author as they are a member of the Irish Vegetarian Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

Why was this complaint made from a NUI email address. Is the university aware and supportive of such a blatant attempt to use a nationally recognised institution to peddle an old cranks complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

Just went and watched the programme. My god there was nothing in it.

For anyone who didn't watch it. The presenter tried a vegan diet for 28 days. Went on a tour with some vegans (who were grossly misinformed). Met a vegan woman who ran a vegan shop but she said she didn't know if she was vegan or not. Met a man who said veganism wasn't a diet but a philosophy and there was people who became vegan but quickly fell away as they didn't adopt the lifestyle. He showed a cruel video of pigs in a slaughter house. This is a video the vegan society shows in temple bar. He also met some research team from UCD who stated that humans have been meat eaters for 3.5 million years.

OP. If you are so concerned on how the animals were killed, why don't you contact your colleagues in UCD (a fellow NUI) as it was part of their research that the animals were killed.

This original post really highlights the bubble that university's (students and obviously lecturers) live in.

1. An idiot lecturer sending an ill thought out complaint from her work email.

2. Immediately highlighting in the email that she is a law lecturer in NUIG so she must be the oracle of all knowledge and must be taken seriously.

3. Publicly displaying her real name (another idiot move).

4. Thinking that people were going to be so interested that they would want to be kept updated.

It also appears the "facts" that the original poster refers to seems to be complete figments of her imagination.

OP. You are employed to lecture in law. NUIG is not paying you tax payers money so you can become some environmental warrior. I assume from this whole thread, you have very little real world experiences. Educational qualifications coming out your ears but i bet you have never been out of the bubble where you had to work in the real world. You can go to work, spout some crap as fact and some impressionable teenagers will believe every word and you go home believing in your own hype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In response to Philip Boucher-Hayes' documentary on what he terms as "veganism", I have sent this complaint in to RTE. I will keep you appraised:
    School of Law,
    Galway.

March 10, 2018

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to make a complaint about the above programme which violates the European Convention on Human Rights and I would request that you remove this broadcast from all sites without delay and issue an apology and corrections to the misinformation contained in the broadcast. I lecture in Law at the National University of Ireland, Galway and I am Chairperson of the Vegetarian Society of Ireland. We also support vegan aims and the broadcast has caused deep offence throughout the country and beyond. You would not dare to make a programme about religious minorities which lampooned their food choices and showed their “sacred cows” being cut up and eaten. Your legal advisors may have failed to mention to you that Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights which relates to freedom of conscience protects beliefs such as vegetarianism, veganism and environmentalism on an equal footing to Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism and so on and, whether you like it or not, you are bound by this law and you have a duty to ensure that your broadcasts comply.

Your broadcast also violates equality legislation in the provision of services to minorities – would you make a programme which makes fun of the disabled, ethnic minorities, the elderly or those with gender identity issues? Yet, equality legislation also extends to those who seek to live their lives more ethically and you show a worrying dearth of knowledge in this regard. I was most surprised that you did not edit out Darina Allen’s comment that she thought that “cranky” vegans needed a steak. Ms. Allen presides over a large family emporium that recently has added a number of vegan products to its range (Cully and Sully soups, for example) so the somewhat ambidextrous approach to our “market” is not easy to rationalise and, again, violates our rights under the Convention (together with several other binding international and regional legal instruments). Moreover, would you have edited out a comment whereby Muslims or Jews were depicted as “cranky” for not eating pork? I suspect the answer would be in the affirmative and again, you are legally obliged to treat vegans and vegetarians in the same manner.

Likewise, we would like to know how the animals in the programme were killed and whether you ensured that this was done within the provisions of the Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013 as it is an offence under the Act to kill if this is done with “unnecessary cruelty”. We will require a detailed response from you. Whilst vegans oppose killing animals, I am interested whether you also acted with disregard for this law, given your blasé approach to the issue of rights.

Furthermore, justifying meat eating because “it tastes delicious” or because we’ve allegedly eaten meat for millions of years shows your utter unawareness of Ireland’s diversity – the Vegetarian Societies have been around for hundreds of years in Ireland and the Proclamation of the Republic was reportedly signed by seven members of the Irish Republican Brotherhood prior to the Easter Rising in 1916 in a Vegetarian Café, the Irish Farm Produce Café. Kirkpatrick and Faragó note that many advocates of Irish nationalism, feminism and animal advocacy also championed the cause of vegetarianism. You may have heard of the great Irish writer, George Bernard Shaw who said that “[w]hile we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth?” Shaw, incidentally, was the only person to have won the Nobel Prize for Literature as well as an Oscar. More recently, great cultural icons such as Sharon Shannon is vegan and a passionate advocate for animal rights, to name but a very few. Why was your broadcast not balanced with such examples? You are required to pay heed to balance under the governing legislation but you do not appear to be aware of it, leaving you open to liabilities in this regard.

I will not take up the many false claims about nutrition in the programme and the skewed premise of being given nutritional advice, refusing to follow it and yet giving a negative assessment of a plant based dietary adventure of one month as there are others better placed to request you to correct the many falsehoods in your programme. You bring investigative journalism into disrepute and you really have lost a lot of respect, caused a lot of upset and wasted a lot of time which could be used otherwise on the large amount of work that non-meat eaters do in rescuing animals, campaigning against their abuse and seeking to improve the wellbeing of all creatures of the Earth. If there are members of the community deemed “cranky”, it may be because we are dealing with massive injustices and are seeking to have them redressed. If you have nothing positive to contribute to us, please deploy your negativity elsewhere – or not at all.

If you fail to take this complaint seriously and address it in a satisfactory manner, we will have to consider taking this matter further.

Yours sincerely,

Galway,
    Ireland.

In the event she tries deleting her post!

I'm sure the university would love to see this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I usually watch PBH's programmes, but mainly for entertainment value, I would never describe them as in depth research. I am intelligent enough to understand this. After I watched this particular programme I just knew there would be a post on Boards such as the OP above!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

I thought he was entertaining and was dead right to tackle another sacred 'cow' .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SinSim

Please show respect and leave out ad hominems. It's one of the lowest forms of argument. If you have issue with what is written, writing your own cogent thesis would be of great help. We need to work together on these issues, not against each other. If you were a vegan or concerned with the life of animals that are exploited, I think you too would find it difficult when writing such a letter. It will be interesting for vegans and non-vegans to find out how much of the complaint holds up.

To me it's obvious that 'What are you eating?' / RTÉ / Philips Boucher-Hayes were out to discredit veganism. Please read my full post before you reply with any critical thinking.

1. Misrepresent and de-value:

This was done by reducing veganism to, and I quote: "a fashionable diet" at the off set, and putting it in a category with "other fad diets".

Did he say that many people confuse veganism with a diet, when in fact the act of excluding other animals from their food choices is just one way in which a vegan adheres to his or her ethical values? Unfortunately, he didn't.

Boucher-Hayes lists three possible motivations for going vegan and in this order:

- internet influence (you can't get any more vague than that)
    - environmental concerns
    - worry about animal welfare

- Do you think he stated that many people are motivated by their realisation that a sentient being, such as a cow, has the right to her life and her offspring? You're right, he didn't.

Boucher-Hayes proceeded to equate being vegan to being "a vegetarian purist" - which leads me on to my next point and RTÉ's next tactic...

2. Confuse:

Fashionable diet? motivated by environmental concerns? purist vegetarianism? motivated by worries of animal welfare?, vegans get mad?, give an animal fresh air before you slaughter him?...What???

All of these were given to describe veganism either directly from Boucher-Hayes or through conversations. It's understandable then, that a lot of non-vegans would be confused and have misconceptions and are more likely to perpetuate both the confusion and misconceptions (on boards.ie for example). I'm sure RTÉ have good researchers. How could they get it so wrong?

Apart from using the catchphrase descriptions such as "fashionable diet", "vegetarian purist and "fad diet" to de-value veganism, Boucher-Hayes also uses street interviews to unravel veganism for the viewers...

From the interviews we would conclude that a vegan is "a person who doesn't eat meat and is against dairy", "no animal products", and "completely animal friendly". One interviewee states that she doesn't want to eat animals that have been raised in cruel conditions - again lending to the idea of "animal welfare". Did you hear anything about a sentient being, such as a pig, having a right to live his or her own life free from harm? Me neither.

Boucher-Hayes then asks the street goers, "what do vegans eat?". The interviewees proceeded with their answers; "very little", "vegetables and grains", "tofu!". One interviewee says, regarding what vegans eat, "it's horrible! you want the real stuff, d'ya know what I mean?" :-( unfortunately I do.

Boucher-Hayes also gets help from a shop assistant in his local organic store where he asks her if she's vegan. She states, "I'm afraid if I call myself vegan a lot of vegans would get mad"... "I consider myself vegan"... but "I'm not 100% vegan"... "I'm flexitarian and **I'm praying that one day when this (organic farming?) becomes big enough that's it's either that we are all going to go organic and every chicken and every cow is going to see the light of day OR we are going to be smart about it, and go vegan and care about our bodies and the environment".

This is beyond confusing. So, she is vegan but she is not vegan but she almost is vegan, and she prays that one day we'll give animals fresh air and sunshine before we eat them? Humane exploitation? Humane slaughter? Oxymoron? ...or even better, why not look after our bodies and the environment and go vegan? Because veganism is about health and climate change, right? No. They are tremendous benefits though. This is just another example of how the program jumbles everything together and creates confusion for the uniformed spectator. I feel sorry for the shop assistant - they unashamedly used her for their hit piece. She's probably just still figuring it out.

**Veganism does not hope that one day all cows, chickens and pigs will live outdoors while they are being exploited or before they are slaughtered - "humane exploitation and humane slaughter are oxymorons.

All of this would be fine if he was highlighting misconceptions about veganism but this is actually how he establishes how the audience is to understand veganism and there is not a point at the end of the introduction in which he dispels misconceptions and puts the record straight. If he did, it would have been a good start and it might have sounded something like this - veganism is:

“an ideology that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practical, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose.

He could have added:

"Unlike the word "vegetarian", the word "vegan" specifically implies moral concern for animals. Therefore the ideology extends to more than just diet. Vegans don't wear leather, fur, wool or silk and are against zoos, circuses, rodeos, animal testing and any other industry that exploits or abuses animals.

Then he could have said:

"In dietary terms, it refers to the practice of dispensing with all animal produce, including meat, fish, poultry, eggs, animal milks, honey, and their derivatives. Many people confuse veganism with a diet, when in fact not eating other animals is just one way in which a vegan adheres to his or her ethical values - respecting the lives of sentient beings"

"In short, vegans believe that a sentient being, human or non-human, has the right to live his or her life without harm."

and in a perfect world he would have added:

"To show integrity I am not going to use a food show to make a hit piece on an ideology, rather I am going to test a whole food plant-based diet, and while I'm at it I'm going to give it my best effort and follow a diet recommended by a nutritionist and a dietitian, and I'm going to leave veganism to serious journalism that is focused on rights and liberties."

3. Create doubt (tobacco industry tactic) and concern:

Philip Boucher-Hayes did't follow the instructions of his dietitian and the results were not good. This one doesn't need much explaining so here is my very long rhetorical question:

Why would a rational and logical person who is working for Ireland's national broadcaster, which is paid by the public, undertake a diet for the benefit of the public's better understanding of the diet not take the supplements advised by the dietitian, when the dietitian explicitly told him that not taking supplements his where the diet goes wrong?

Was it actually a program about not taking supplements when advised? Because that's all anyone could have learnt about from the the program. Well, we also learnt that it's a confusing world inside Tv land.

And we must remember that 'go wrong' with regards to health is not to be taken lightly.

Fair enough, in the program Boucher-Hayes does give his motivations for not taking the supplements recommended by the dietitian:

"The dietitian told me to take supplement but I think it will be more interesting not to take one and see what happens to my body"

"And there's lots of "vegan" websites saying it's not necessary [to take supplements]"

But by logic alone we can see that neither one of these answers explains his decision not to take the supplements. The whole bases of the program would not be thrown out the window to make the program more interesting. That's just silly.

Taking advice from "vegan" websites just because they have the word vegan in them or because someone else in a hypothetical situation might use this website for nutritional advice doesn't ring through as rational or logical, especially when public health and ethical choices are being dealt with.

If I asked a structural engineer what was the surest way to construct a building without integrity and be assured it would fall, he might say something like construct a building without a foundation. If I was then to proceed to construct a building without a foundation you would either conclude that I wanted it to fall or that I was stupid. I don't believe Boucher-Hayes is stupid. Do you?

As I see it ,and it's only my opinion, RTÉ appear to want to weaken the possibility of a foundation that the general public may come to have with veganism in the future. And this is how they attempted to do it:

- Take a ideology based on ethics

- Package the ideology as a fashionable diet while only paying lip service to the ideology's core values

- Present false, confusing and conflicting ideas about the ideology (now a fashionable diet)

- Propose to test the fashionable diet (formally an ideology) with professional guidance

- Ignore the professional guidance, setting the test of the fashionable diet (formally an ideology) up to fail

- Convert the fashionable diet back into an ideology again. This is done to let veganism, the ideology, bare the weight of the negative results. And it is done by asking, I quote: "the last unanswered question about veganism" before they cut to the the test results. The question? Is it right to kill these animals just because we can when we can get protein from so many other places?" (The answer given was yes, once you eat all the animal and it's not done on an industrial scale - remember the oxymoron?) As I said, it has been converted back to an ideology just before the test results.

- Present the horrifying results of the food habits of an ideology (formally a fashionable diet) to the public.

- Let the ideology bare the weight of the negative results.

- Let the negative results create doubt in the public's mind (tobacco industry tactic).

- Sit back while your faithful minions throw around ad hominems, straw man arguments, disregard and general ignorance on boards.ie ;-D

It doesn't matter what else was in the program. All RTÉ wanted to do was to sow the seed of doubt. It's not rocket science.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

{Arthur Schopenhauer}

Translation: First watch it on RTÉ. Second, read about it on boards.ie. Third, wait for another country to come to their senses and follow.

We can do better than this, we ARE better than this. Do some good research, have a think, watch a video. Think about aligning your actions with your heart. This is only about the animals. Nothing and no one else. So when you do think about it, only think about the animals and what their lives are worth to them, not to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Maureen

Could you provide the link (full academic reference) to support you claim that:
    Your legal advisors may have failed to mention to you that Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights which relates to freedom of conscience protects beliefs such as vegetarianism, veganism and environmentalism on an equal footing to Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism and so on ...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

gozunda wrote: »
    Maureen

Could you provide the link to support you claim that:

Thanks

Actually it is protected as a belief system, can Google for it
    Still the programme did nothing wrong

SinSim wrote: »
    Please show respect and leave out ad hominems. It's one of the lowest forms of argument. If you have issue with what is written, writing your own cogent thesis would be of great help..

When someone goes sofar as to include their Job title in their sign off, in an effort to add weight to a poorly constructed complaint, there is no ad-hominem.It is perfectly reasonable to query their qualification to express such a definite view as they sought to reinforce the original complaint by including those details
    The only reason it is even raised is because the complainant included it.

Aside from that, there is nothing in law that prevents any belief system from critical review or argument. There is a world of difference between criticism and hate speech.
    Nor is there any provision in law that an editorial or opinion piece must include balance, and the claim that as such veganism is protected by Statute is frankly ridiculous, it becomes even more ridiculous when the person making that claim is a lecturer in law.

School of Law,
    Galway.

March 10, 2018

Dear Sir/Madam,

Yours sincerely,

Galway,
    Ireland.

Nothing worse than putting out ones dirty laundry and sharing it in public.

That's here forever now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SinSim

AD HOMINEM:

1. An idiot lecturer sending an ill thought out complaint from her work email.

3. Publicly displaying her real name (another idiot move).

4. Thinking that people were going to be so interested that they would want to be kept updated.

OP. You are employed to lecture in law. NUIG is not paying you tax payers money so you can become some environmental warrior. I assume from this whole thread, you have very little real world experiences. Educational qualifications coming out your ears but i bet you have never been out of the bubble where you had to work in the real world. You can go to work, spout some crap as fact and some impressionable teenagers will believe every word and you go home believing in your own hype[/quote]

SinSim wrote: »
    Please show respect and leave out ad hominems. It's one of the lowest forms of argument. If you have issue with what is written, writing your own cogent thesis would be of great help. We need to work together on these issues, not against each other. If you were a vegan or concerned with the life of animals that are exploited, I think you too would find it difficult when writing such a letter. I myself am not a lawyer but as far as I am aware the sentiment and core arguments she makes are correct and should be taken seriously by RTÉ, and that is the important issue at hand - not who wrote the complaint .

Just to clarify - are you are saying that you are unhappy with the both the TV programme and Maureen O'Sullivans letter of complaint? I somewhat confused to your first and second email on boards.ie tbh

From my own point of view I found that the programm had a fairly balanced and fair approach with regard to looking at people's perception of veganism and not just the viewpoints of a relatively small minority of dogmatic vegans would describe / equate as their vision of 'veganism'

I believe the lady describing her approach to veganism (ie "I'm afraid if I call myself vegan a lot of vegans would get mad") would be more representative of the majority vegans that I know - compared to the rather small but vocal minority of extreme vegans who would describe their lifestyle as a de facto 'religion / religous belief.'

It remains that animals have been eating other animals since the first protozoa crawled out of the primordial ooze. The eating of meat is a part of the flow of energy or entropy of our planet. We may now be the dominant species on that planet but that does not change our part in the planets ecological impetus.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Actually it is protected as a belief system, can Google for it
    Still the programme did nothing wrong

As in a religous belief? In Europe? I really would love to see the definitive European Convention directive on that.

Advertisement