Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

FTA69 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many gis do ye have? For instance if you're trading four or five times a week are ye constantly washing and drying gis?

I have 3, I train three or four times a week and wash as I go. I'd have at least two loads of washing a week so I always have at least one clean gi.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,633 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Out of curiosity, how many gis do ye have? For instance if you're trading four or five times a week are ye constantly washing and drying gis?

I've 3(one is nearly done at this stage) but only train once a week now. Used to be twice a week.

I wouldn't have that much washing though so I'd been waiting on a GI for the following week without the third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Phoebe Full Overlap

I really don't know how many I have, unless they shrink too much I usually keep them until they're literally falling apart at the seams, but I've two I'd use regularly in winter and I'd probably add another one (its a cheap light gi) in the summer.

My son is the same size as me and has two Gi, so you can imagine there's no shortage here. Drying is a pain in the arse of course but I have access to industrial driers in work for winter drying.

Ordinarily I'd advise someone to have two gi.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've two, thinking on getting a third. I usually train 2-3 times. But one on them is usually a no-gi or wrestling class.
    Drying is rarely an issue with Australian weather. So I can turn them around pretty quick.

Mellor wrote: »
    Drying is rarely an issue with Australian weather. So I can turn them around pretty quick.

I trained in the Middle East and I miss that too. I could literally see the material dry in front of my eyes, esp in the hills of south Lebanon where there was a breeze plus heat :D
    What I hate is when you achieve a really dominant position, they stop resisting and coach you to the sub.
    It's like they convince themselves that you only got it because they let you.

I have little or no patience for that and I'll tell a training partner off for it quick enough. No tolerance for it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭RoboRat

so anyone want to share some tips they feel will aid me as a newbie in bjj.. do`s and dont`s..

Here is a piece I wrote a few weeks ago, I think for a newbie, its worth reading and I hope it helps.

The importance of tapping out and why it is essential to improving your BJJ and MMA game.

It’s January and everyone is on their new keep fit buzz. The mats in your local BJJ/MMA club are like something from wrestle mania due to the success of Irish MMA. We are seeing a lot of new faces on the mat and this is a great thing because clubs depend on new members and every club is delighted to have these new faces. BJJ and MMA however are tough sports and not everyone will stick it out. One of the reasons why people quit is down to tapping out.

Being a white belt is hard, you sill spend most of your time on your back, fighting to avoid getting submitted. It may seem like you are going nowhere but you are. It’s only down the line that you will realise how far you have come when a new fresh face comes into the gym. Tapping out is part of the process and should never be seen as giving up. Tapping out doesn’t make you look weak. You will tap out to people who you would have thought you could demolish. Tapping is required in order to make you a better fighter. There is no dishonour in tapping out.

The main reason why people don’t tap out is ego and ego should always be left at the door. Never assume or presume that you are better than someone because in reality, if you don’t know them, you have no idea of what they are capable of… the old saying never judge a book by its cover has never been truer.

If you let your ego rule, you will end up quitting or worse still, getting injured. You will have to roll with better people or higher belts, if you choose to avoid these people to keep your ego in check, your progress will be limited. When you roll with better grapplers, you have to suck it up and tap when you need to and you will learn from this and it will make you a much better fighter. This brings me to the main point of this piece, when should you tap?

You should tap if a solid submission hold is applied and before the onset of pain. In the case of chokes, the point where you begin to gasp for air, but can’t, or right when you start to feel light-headed - please note however, there are 2 types of choke, the first being a choke that restricts your airways, the second is the choke that restricts your bloodflow, the latter is often overlooked by white belts as they feel they can breathe, so therefore feel that they may be able to fight out of the choke. Also, you may see higher belts roll out of submissions but always be wary about trying it and perhaps ask your rolling partner to work with you on the escape, doing it slowly and methodically, rather than going hung ho and seriously injuring yourself. They might look simple but the devil is in the detail and you could end up breaking your neck.

You may ask how does this improve my game? Well, its simple really, when you tap, you have realised that you have got into a position that has led to the submission, you take note of this and although you may get caught again, and again, it initiates the learning process of how do I stop this from happening and that is where the learning happens. You start to change how you fight and you learn to avoid making mistakes or falling into traps. If you don’t tap, then you will never gain this valuable knowledge and whilst your club mates may be lenient, when you are in a competition, your opponent will not be as lenient and you may leave with a really bad injury. This, in a nutshell is why tapping is important to progression.

Anybody who has been grappling for a while will have encountered the student who won’t tap. Sometimes these people are just stubborn but most of the time they are a competitive athlete in another sport and are not used to being dominated. It’s immensely frustrating to roll with these people as most people understand the difference between rolling and a competition. You don’t want to smash a club mates elbow when they don’t tap to a kimura but at the same time, you feel the onus is on them to tap when they are caught. When you roll with more experience grapplers, they will generally let it go with a new white belt, as they know that they have got the sub they were hunting, but this patience can wear thin. Thankfully, as people progress they also learn the benefits of tapping.

So, if you are new to BJJ or MMA, understand that every black belt has been in your shoes and the only way they got to where they are, is by tapping and learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭RoboRat

My rule of thumb is it takes about 2 days to dry a gi indoors in Ireland when it's not on a radiator (and it shouldn't be dried on a rad, not initially anyhow, as it will shrink and end up like cardboard). Therefore, you take how many days you train and the space between each training day and work it from there.

Train twice a week with more than a 2 day gap, 1 gi.
    Train twice a week with a 1 - 2 day gap, 2 gi's.
    Train 3 times a week. 2 gi's.
    Train 4 times or more a week. 3 gi's
    Realistically, you don't need more than 3 gi's although I have 5 and I train 2-3 times a week, but then again, I own a gi company so I have an unlimited supply :-)

A lot of people who compete have a competition gi. This is worth investing in as the IBJJF are cracking down on gi's that fall outside their very hazy requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭rain on

I have 6 gis but I reckon I could get by with 4.. If I have a gi competition coming up I'll be training gi 6 days a week and I don't like doing laundry constantly, so 4 or 5 is probably my ideal number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

RoboRat wrote: »
    Off the top of my head here are the black belts I can think of:
    John Kavanagh
    Andy Ryan
    Liam Beechinor
    Fergal Quinlan
    Darragh O'Conaill
    Mariusz Domasat
    Barry Oglesby
    Owen Roddy
    Tom King
    Karl Roche
    Jorge Santos
    Steven O’ Toole
    Howard Mannion
    Kieran O'Brien
    Mick Aldridge
    Arek from sbg is another jk black belt

Simply Red wrote: »

So is Pritt but are they based in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

So is Pritt but are they based in Ireland?
    Im pretty sure he came back to ireland after ultimate fighter? He was definitely full time in ireland before that, he was the head coach in sbg city centre while it was open

I actually, I think Pritt might be an M.T. Black belt, not J.K.

Im pretty sure he came back to ireland after ultimate fighter? He was definitely full time in ireland before that, he was the head coach in sbg city centre while it was open

Yeah but I'm not sure if he (Pritt) was awarded his black belt by John or Matt and I'm pretty sure he's not based in Ireland anymore. He's a fecking amazing coach though. I've been to a few seminars he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Peter Lavery from Kyoujin is a black belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lads is it normal to get a sore throat (sore to swallow) after a guillotine? He sinked it it and pulled me into guard. I tapped straight away, knew it was locked in but throat is in bits now.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Lads is it normal to get a sore throat (sore to swallow) after a guillotine? He sinked it it and pulled me into guard. I tapped straight away, knew it was locked in but throat is in bits now.

Its normal, esp if you're a newbie.

When he pulled you into his guard while I had the guillotine sank in you may have cranked your neck, but its most likely just bruised from the choke.

Either way just rest it until the pain goes.

But you will get used to those kind of things & they'll stop hurting after a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is Gunnar Nelson based in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Are judo gi's the same as bjj gi's?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,633 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Judo GI is much heavier.

Is Gunnar Nelson based in Ireland?

No. he's based in a Iceland, but he comes over regularly.

• Advertisement

No.

The Judogi is quite a bit heavier (although you can get light club training suits, but you'll be eaten alive in competition wearing one).

The Judogi sleeve is wider and easier to grip.

The collar is much thicker too. And I'm sure the Gi skirt is longer on the Judogi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Just registered for the Irish open..... I'm a white belt 34 year old male... Its going to be my first comp and I'm bricking it.

Was supposed to compete last november but got injured and was out for 3 months and that was my only goal and it disapointed me not to achieve it.

So now I have reg'ed early and im gonna ****e meself until after the 7th of may!!!! fook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

feelpablo wrote:
    Just registered for the Irish open..... I'm a white belt 34 year old male... Its going to be my first comp and I'm bricking it.

Fair play to you for signing up, how long have you been doing Bjj? How many stripes do you have?

I've never been to a competition so don't know how it works, could a white belt with only one stripe be put up against one with 4 stripes?

I'm 38 now and only started training 2 months ago, by the time I know enough to compete I'll be too old for it. I'm not sure I'd be able to hold me nerve anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Best of luck man!!

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Fair play to you for signing up, how long have you been doing Bjj? How many stripes do you have?

I'm doing it about 16 months now but alot of that time has gaps..some large like the 3 months due to injury some not so large due to laziness/work issues at the start.

I just got my second stripe a month ago and feeling good about where I'm at...i was feeling i was going nowhere a few months ago and was considering going back to a begginers course.

Dont know if i'll hold my nerves well or even if i will enjoy it but i want to say i have competed once.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I've never been to a competition so don't know how it works, could a white belt with only one stripe be put up against one with 4 stripes?.

Yep this is exactly how it can happen...also broken down into weight categories and age

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I was half thinking of registering too, but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm out injured at the minute, probably won't be back in training before I go on holiday at the start off April, and will only have 3 weeks left then before May 7th.

Im 36, training very sporadically for years but focusing on BJJ for maybe 4 months now. Have 1 stripe. My main issue is my size. I'm currently 220lbs which is about 40lbs too many so I'd end up facing guys a lot fitter and stronger than myself.

Probably better to shift the weight and aim for something later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

As far as I understand it, the stripe thing is an individual club award, given to show progress towards the next belt.

There is no stripe division in bjj comp. White is white, blue is blue, etc and so forth. I think I said it earlier in the thread, but when I started training, that's how it was in clubs too.

Enjoy your first comp. You'll have everybody from brand new whites to on-the-cusp if blues competing.

As the saying goes, you either win or learn

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My club doesn't do stripes. At first I disliked seeing opponents with 3 or 4 stripes at comps. But then I figured it can work in my favour if somebody assume I'm new.

• Advertisement

feelpablo wrote: »

Was supposed to compete last november but got injured and was out for 3 months and that was my only goal and it disapointed me not to achieve it.

So now I have reg'ed early and im gonna ****e meself until after the 7th of may!!!! fook

Best of luck.

Don't worry about the nerves, everyone gets them.

For most of us its not natural to get out and fight another individual, putting all we've learned on the line.

Your nerves are just a mix of a small bit of fear and a larger mix of excitement but its hard to works.

Fair play to you for registering for competition, a lot of people defeat themselves long before any competition by giving into their nerves and never fighting.

Pre fight nerves is a good topic, probably deserves a separate thread as it can be pretty personal to an individual who may be very reluctant to talk about it to his club mates, family or even his coach.

Last time I fought I was almost vomiting the day before, luckily enough I've some very good support and people I can call on but a lot of lads don't have that.

If anyone wishes to discuss pre fight nerves a new thread would be brilliant.

Advertisement