Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build The Millennium Falcon

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Youre dead right..i dont get that knit picky thing at all...its the Falcon..end of.

you ever go to starshipmodeler.net?

its a brilliant resource for any kind of model building..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I havent seen that before, but ill check it out, thanks a lot!

The attic conversion is full steam ahead at the minute, there is guy putting in the stairs as i type this. While he is doing that i had a chance to sit down and put together one of the practice kits i bought.

This is probably the easiest one by far because it doesnt really need any painting, though i will probably do the floor and gun. Pretty much practicing cutting from the sprue and sanding down the excess plastic.

Before...

BandaiStormTrooperBox.jpg

Finished

BandaiStormTrooperfinished.jpg

Ive also bought an Air compressor for my AirBrush and a load of paint and accessories the last week, so ill be ready to go when the attic is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What compressor did you buy? And do you have any accessories like an airbrush cleaning pot etc?

Myrddin wrote: »
    What compressor did you buy? And do you have any accessories like an airbrush cleaning pot etc?

I bought this one
    http://m.scalemodelshop.co.uk/item/35303838

There are loads similiar to this you can get, not sure why I went with this one, just did.

I've bought a spray booth too, that's like a suitcase and you fold it out and put the extractor tube out a window.

Bought loads of paints, thinners, varnishes, etc haven't got a cleaning pot, is that the can thing you sit the airbrush on and spray into it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I bought this one
    http://m.scalemodelshop.co.uk/item/35303838

There are loads similiar to this you can get, not sure why I went with this one, just did.

I've bought a spray booth too, that's like a suitcase and you fold it out and put the extractor tube out a window.

Bought loads of paints, thinners, varnishes, etc haven't got a cleaning pot, is that the can thing you sit the airbrush on and spray into it?

Yeah that's the thing the brush sits in & you spray into to clean it out...I've watched a ton of YT airbrush vids & these seem a necessity. I'll definitely be picking your brain at some stage dude, I plan to focus a lot on model making & airbrushing next year when college finishes...you'll be sick of me!

It will Be me asking you ive never built any before until now! Dying to get stuck into it though. Hopefully I'll have the attic fully sorted in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

ive never built any before until now!

Okay, now you've really sickened me ;) Your first project and not only building & painting but modding as well! Great job so far and looking forward to seeing it's progress. You may have tempted me to splash out, the other half will be delighted :)

A product that may be interest is the "Tamiya Weathering Master & Stick" range. Each set has 3 different coloured pastels and a two-sided applicator (sponge/brush) and can help speed up the weathering process, especially on a kit of this size.

Hey thanks a lot hopefully it turns out ok, ive actually got some of those tamiya weathering kits and used the one with the rust colour on the very front of the cockpit just to add some detail.

saneman wrote: »
    Okay, now you've really sickened me ;) Your first project and not only building & painting but modding as well! Great job so far and looking forward to seeing it's progress. You may have tempted me to splash out, the other half will be delighted :)

A product that may be interest is the "Tamiya Weathering Master & Stick" range. Each set has 3 different coloured pastels and a two-sided applicator (sponge/brush) and can help speed up the weathering process, especially on a kit of this size.

Forgot I had this. Some pics from Sculpting a galaxy by Lorne Peters. Big shots from the 5ft model used for filming. Handy painting reference if you need to borrow it OP

32FFA3D0-E555-4AA8-A009-ADE8C64569F8.jpg

CCC16ED1-BEA3-41E3-909C-810FE62CF064.jpg

86E383CD-9499-4250-A7C7-CBC3283B9080.jpg

71DD73CE-EB30-4CB9-AE61-493398BEE623.jpg

445C74F0-2D66-405E-B286-B32445528142.jpg

• Advertisement

This is great if you can find it. Chapters is where I got it. Tons of cool stuff inside
    0C0D4676-E225-4851-A232-D1E21DB5AF04.jpg

DD0B98CF-4C7A-46B1-98B4-5C3FA723C8E8.jpg

6368C5C3-D719-434D-88FD-175417B64911.jpg

Hi, thanks a lot! ive loads of reference pics of the studio model saved for when i start painting, hopefully i can do a decent job of it.

I spent the weekend painting and cleaning the below, when its finished i can get stuck into the falcon as ill have the room.

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Nearly there! ill keep the thread update regularly once i have this done and can start the build properly.

Looks great! Wish I could do that with our attic.

Ok so I haven't done it in a few years but Bandai have released a Millennium Falcon model kit and the model kit forums are saying it's the best & most accurate ever. It's only about €35. And it's just under a foot long (wish it were twice that)

Gotta get me one. And there's a lighting kit sold seperately. Squuuueeeeee!!!!
    Bandai-Force-Awakens-Model-Kit-Millennium-Falcon-3.jpg

The bandai kits a really good, well made kits ive a load of the star wars ones to do. I seen this falcon but there is no point in me getting it when im already building this one. which hopefully i can get started on soon. attic is nearly done. but yeh the bandai kits are great.

Can't wait to see yours OP.
    is there a lighting option with that one? If not it'd be tricky enough to do but could be amazin

There are some basic lights in it by default, the cockpit, hold area, around the hull and the engines. ill be adding my own though, ive done some already.

This is the original cockpit lights, just the back part lit up, no control panel lights etc.

falconcockpit1.jpg

I added lights to the control panel, side panels and coloured the back in places.

4.jpg

I then added side lights to the side panels, so the bright long white light across the back continues around the side. and add light up buttons to the centre door.

9.jpg

That looks so amazing! Great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just dropping in but very impressed both in the quality of your work and your commitment to the thread.

Well done.

Hey OP. You pr Baby don't need any of these but take a look anyways. 3D printed extra bits for the Falcon you're making.
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits?section=Falcon+DeAgo&s=0

• Advertisement

Hi, yeh ive seen them, the look great and ive seen some of the lads buy, paint and put them in their builds and they are fantastic, but one day im all for buying them, the next i think they are too expensive.. ill wait and see down the road. it depends as well i guess on how im going to display the falcon, if the hold will never be seen, then there is no point in buying extra parts for it.

I have already bought a few barrels in scale to pit in the hold area. ill see down the road about 3d printed parts. thanks for the link though!

this arrived couple of days ago..now finding myself bewildered & bogged down in reading about airbrushes & basecoats and what effin colour IS the Millennium Falcon debates :) no idea how to proceed..need an airbrush but they and all they bits are so expensive..

10259786_10154488677413032_8820816860751555377_n.jpg?oh=5cd983207cad3fbfd134315dc8601a24&oe=573B34AD&__gda__=1462893916_f7c5d6de5fee01c6fe6788055a0949e3

12509639_10154488677418032_4485947094308466127_n.jpg?oh=2c24d615de0f6f809176388cfa65052d&oe=5748175D&__gda__=1463015755_65beca629f92d09a98b1d47c4613ac21

this arrived couple of days ago..now finding myself bewildered & bogged down in reading about airbrushes & basecoats and what effin colour IS the Millennium Falcon debates :) no idea how to proceed..need an airbrush but they and all the bits are so expensive..

10259786_10154488677413032_8820816860751555377_n.jpg?oh=5cd983207cad3fbfd134315dc8601a24&oe=573B34AD&__gda__=1462893916_f7c5d6de5fee01c6fe6788055a0949e3

12509639_10154488677418032_4485947094308466127_n.jpg?oh=2c24d615de0f6f809176388cfa65052d&oe=5748175D&__gda__=1463015755_65beca629f92d09a98b1d47c4613ac21

Cool, yeh i spent a lot of time over the last few months looking at youtube videos and amassing a massive amount of tools and paint for when i start.

From looking into airbrushes etc myself, the named ones are real expensive, but apparently the cheap ones work great too just dont have a name on them. this is coming from some guys who ive seen make amazing models.

You will need an air compressor too. a lot of guys are recommending this one , i have those airbrushes but not that compressor. its cheap enough. You will probably need a spray booth too about 50 on ebay.

I bough most my paint and stuff from Here . Vallejo model air paint is pre thinned and ready for the airbrush

Though for painting the falcon this guy has a complete paint set with all the colours in it.. you will need some primer though as well and a few other bits. He is out of stock at the minute but should have more in about a month.

Ah that's brilliant thanks OP.
    Found myself an airbrush set with compressor on adverts.ie so meeting the guy Sunday or Monday to give it a spin. It's got dual action and gravity pots and adjustable pressure n all that so for €60 let's hope it does the trick.

I'll Deffo look at the links you sent too though thanks a million. Looking at some Diagostini Falcon builds over on the rpf.com. A ex credible work and simple yet genius ideas going on for the interior! Using old strings off a bass guitar for piping and detailing the floors etc. Inspiring stuff. Wish I'd bought into the series now. It'll be a beauty once it's finished!

Cool, stick up some pics when your doing it!

Its really fustrating having to wait to start mine, i had all the bits now, i just need to get this attic sorted so i can setup a desk to do it on. the attic room is painted, but ive to get carpet in before i can furniture in it and before the carpet goes in ive to paint down the stairs right to the ground floor because the carpet has to run right down from the attic to the ground. but i can only paint 1 day a week when im not in work! its taking ages!

Ive built up a load of bandai kits and some vipers from battlestar to "practice" on before i do the falcon. I might have got carried away a bit..

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

I have tie fighters and the xwing from force awakens around somewhere too in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dmaprelude

That Bigfoot toy!!!! ah memories!

i love the viper! after the falcon its my second favourite ship ever...such a great design!!
    the Galactica from the original 80s tv series is probably third..i think..

i love the viper! after the falcon its my second favourite ship ever...such a great design!!
    the Galactica from the original 80s tv series is probably third..i think..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

IMG_0556.jpg
    Memories of two of my best Christmases! Bigfoot one year and the speeder bike another.

Good times. :)

Advertisement