Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

any ferry companies set their ferry schedules for June 2021 yet?

Stena taking bookings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Brittany Ferries prices are higher for next summer than autumn last year.
    Next summer we will fly for €700 : Cork to Paris and return Rome - Amsterdam - Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

kindalen wrote: »
    Stena taking bookings too.

I think Irish ferries are the only ones we're waiting on. I'm hoping they'll keep close to Brittany ferries prices, the Dublin to Cherbourg route is a lot more convenient for me

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Scoondal wrote: »
    Brittany Ferries prices are higher for next summer than autumn last year.
    Next summer we will fly for €700 : Cork to Paris and return Rome - Amsterdam - Cork.

I'm new to this gig but I checked BF prices for may next year, around €700 for family of 4 plus car. Not really sure of this whole ferry thing is much better value than flying tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm new to this gig but I checked BF prices for may next year, around €700 for family of 4 plus car. Not really sure of this whole ferry thing is much better value than flying tbh

Depends what you plan to do in France - and what you want to bring and bring back.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Depends what you plan to do in France - and what you want to bring and bring back.

Ah yeah, when you count in the cost of luggage on the plane plus a car rental I'd say it'll be a bit cheaper.

Trying to reduce the flying as well for various covid/environmental reasons, I want to see how the ferry goes to see if it's a realistic alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Ah yeah, when you count in the cost of luggage on the plane plus a car rental I'd say it'll be a bit cheaper.

Trying to reduce the flying as well for various covid/environmental reasons, I want to see how the ferry goes to see if it's a realistic alternative

Personally I think the ferry is worth it for the benefit of being able to bring as much as you want especially on the return leg :D

Not to mention the hours wasted in the airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The ferry restricts you to west coast and inland 6/7 hours, especially with younger children

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

The ferry restricts you to west coast and inland 6/7 hours, especially with younger children

Not really. From Cherbourg you can go East or West and our destination off either Roscoff or Cherbourg (near Mimizan in SW France) is about a 10 hour trip which we've done several times without hitch.

Not sure I'd do it with very young kids.

The southern Mediterranean coast is, IMHO, too far by car off the ferries although I have family members who have done it in one go but it was a serious slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Au contraire, the ferry unlocks the whole of Europe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

No it doesn't. Our first Ferry trip as a family had us heading 8 hours south from Cherbourg in one go. Kids were 7 & 10.
    We have gone to the Alps and Italy too.
    Maybe if kids were under 5, we might not have gone so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SusanC10 wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Our first Ferry trip as a family had us heading 8 hours south from Cherbourg in one go. Kids were 7 & 10.
    We have gone to the Alps and Italy too.
    Maybe if kids were under 5, we might not have gone so far.
    We've done over 10 hours in a go with 2 kids under 5 a few times.
    It wasnt so bad. You need your snacks and something to keep them amused, and build in a big break somewhere they can play and burn off energy

Looking back at "long drives" in Ireland where often you cant even read a book or magazine for the bumpy and bendy roads, a motorway drive is far more child friendly even if its much longer.

We've done over 10 hours in a go with 2 kids under 5 a few times. It wasnt so bad. You need your snacks and something to keep them amused, and build in a big break somewhere they can play and burn off energy

I wouldn't fancy 10 hours in one go but 5 hours on good French roads gets you a long way and there are plenty of rest stops to break that up.

But I would spread a 10 hour journey over two days with a nice overnight en route. Plan it as part of the holiday.

We always take the car. Flexibility, golf clubs and enough savings on wine on the way back to make a big dent in the cost of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I wouldn't fancy 10 hours in one go but 5 hours on good French roads gets you a long way and there are plenty of rest stops to break that up.

But I would spread a 10 hour journey over two days with a nice overnight en route. Plan it as part of the holiday.

We always take the car. Flexibility, golf clubs and enough savings on wine on the way back to make a big dent in the cost of the trip.
    Like yourselves, we would normally plan an overnight especially when the ferry arrives into France later in the day. Depending on how much of a rush youre in, and where you're driving through, you can also make lunch breaks in a pretty town (paying for proper secure covered parking!!) rather than a motorway service station.

Similarly, if doing the landbridge via England theres heaps to see or friends/ relatives to visit en route and no lack of cheapie family friendly Premier Inn/ Travellodge hotels - or get a deal on a Novotel (often with pool) in advance.

It really is the beauty of travelling by car that the journey can become part of the trip itsself.

I really like having our own car and being able to bring sports stuff for the Kids and of course being able to bring back a sizeable amount of lovely French Wine !
    We tend to go for 3-4 weeks so Car Hire would be on the expensive side.

Really looking forward to Summer 2021.

Wish IF would hurry up with their Prices! Dublin - Cherbourg suits us and I have a lot of Tesco tokens to spend.

Brittany Ferries sailing from Rosslare to Cherbourg (and Bilbao) next year, as well as their Cork - Roscoff run.

With Stena also operating Rosslare to Cherbourg and IF's Dublin - Cherbourg, the ferry options are pretty good. Some of the ships are more suited for truckers than families but they all get you there and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

josip wrote: »
    Au contraire, the ferry unlocks the whole of Europe :)

as I said, with younger children.

We did epic ferry and drive holidays in France when I was aged 7+

we've gone to the french alps on our last few trips (altitude was great during the heatwaves)

SusanC10 wrote:
    Wish IF would hurry up with their Prices! Dublin - Cherbourg suits us and I have a lot of Tesco tokens to spend.

Timetables awaited too. They told me it will be out next week, or the week after.

Timetables awaited too. They told me it will be out next week, or the week after.

Thanks for that update. Would be great just to have it booked.

Similarly, if doing the landbridge via England theres heaps to see or friends/ relatives to visit en route and no lack of cheapie family friendly Premier Inn/ Travellodge hotels - or get a deal on a Novotel (often with pool) in advance.

I've used the landbridge a couple of times and I'd need a good reason to use it again instead of the ferry. Its a tedious drive (especially coming home) and we seemed to always hit traffic jams somewhere. Plus its a lot of driving on top of whatever you have to do in France.

I think it only makes sense if you want to visit someone/somewhere in the UK both going and coming.

Take the boat and relax.

• Advertisement

I've used the landbridge a couple of times and I'd need a good reason to use it again instead of the ferry. Its a tedious drive (especially coming home) and we seemed to always hit traffic jams somewhere. Plus its a lot of driving on top of whatever you have to do in France.

I think it only makes sense if you want to visit someone/somewhere in the UK both going and coming.

Take the boat and relax.

We took Landbridge once only on the way to France. We stayed 5 nights on the outskirts of London and took the Kids in to see the City. We also visited friends who live nearby but had no space for us all to stay.

We got the Chunnel to Calais. Got the Ferry home direct to Ireland from Roscoff.

Wouldn't do it again tbh unless we had a good reason.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We took Landbridge once only on the way to France.

Did the landbridge home from France once.

Something to do with arriving at the port on the right day at 17:00 for a 19:00 sailing but the port being Roscoff instead of Cherbourg 400km away where the ferry was actually sailing from :o

Ended up getting a P&O (I think) ferry to Plymouth over night, then a nice leisurely 6 hour drive to Holyhead (after a 10 hour drive the day before up through France), got pulled over by the Police 30km's from the ferry for speeding (we had 6.30 hours to do a 6:05 journey so I was pushing it in fairness), just about made it onto the IF Swift to Dublin and bizarrely ended up home less than an hour later than originally planned!!

Not to be repeated ;)

I forgot to mention the small matter of Brexit and the queues expected on the routes to the Tunnel and Channel Ports from next January.

No thanks.

I forgot to mention the small matter of Brexit and the queues expected on the routes to the Tunnel and Channel Ports from next January.

No thanks.

Totally agree !

Tbh, I am glad (especially now) that we did do it that once. Glad the Kids got to see the London sights (and Harry Potter) and glad to have experienced the Channel Tunnel.

But no hurry to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

54and56 wrote: »

Ended up getting a P&O (I think) ferry to Plymouth over night, then a nice leisurely 6 hour drive to Holyhead (after a 10 hour drive the day before up through France), got pulled over by the Police 30km's from the ferry for speeding (we had 6.30 hours to do a 6:05 journey so I was pushing it in fairness), just about made it onto the IF Swift to Dublin and bizarrely ended up home less than an hour later than originally planned!!

Not to be repeated ;)

Ah, the Chester dash.

Trying to speed just enough so that you can get the Google Maps arrival time to more than 15 mins before sailing.

While keeping an eye out for the good members of the North Wales Constabulary on the overpasses.

josip wrote:
    Ah, the Chester dash.

Trying to speed just enough so that you can get the Google Maps arrival time to more than 15 mins before sailing.

While keeping an eye out for the good members of the North Wales Constabulary on the overpasses.

Imagine that, while also trying to jump the queues at ferry ports.

Dublin-Paris via the landbridge is showing at 16 hours on Google Maps which is much faster than any ferry to France. That's important if you have deadlines for delivery of fresh fish or mushrooms and post Brexit chaos at UK ports will seriously threaten that, as the hauliers are pointing out.

Holiday makers are under less time pressure and it isn't how I would want to start or finish a holiday.

Its a much bigger issue for commercial freight. I hope somebody somewhere is talking to the ferry operators to synchronise their sailing times for optimum connectivity with France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

54and56 wrote: »
    Did the landbridge home from France once.

Something to do with arriving at the port on the right day at 17:00 for a 19:00 sailing but the port being Roscoff instead of Cherbourg 400km away where the ferry was actually sailing from :o

Not to be repeated ;)

Police are camped on that road around the ferry departure times, and seem to take delight in pulling Irish cars.

josip wrote: »
    Ah, the Chester dash.

100% spot on. I was a big fat 4X4 fish in their little barrel.

It'll be a dark day before I ever do a motorway dash in the UK ever again.

Lived in London for 7 years and love both the city and Londoners but BoJo and Co have turned the UK (or England at least) into a place I no longer recognise and don't have any desire to visit. Thankfully got to bring the kids over a few years ago to show them where we used to live and hang out, see the sights, eat in Chinatown etc so that box is well and truly ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Brittany Ferries sailing from Rosslare to Cherbourg (and Bilbao) next year, as well as their Cork - Roscoff run.

With Stena also operating Rosslare to Cherbourg and IF's Dublin - Cherbourg, the ferry options are pretty good. Some of the ships are more suited for truckers than families but they all get you there and back.

Yes. There will be more new routes from Ireland to France, Spain and perhaps another EU country. They might be more "trucker" freindly routes, but it gives us extra options if you don't mind a basic service.
    I took Brittany Ferries Connemara in June. Basic yes, but we got our car to France.

• Advertisement

Scoondal wrote: »
    Yes. There will be more new routes from Ireland to France, Spain and perhaps another EU country. They might be more "trucker" freindly routes, but it gives us extra options if you don't mind a basic service.
    I took Brittany Ferries Connemara in June. Basic yes, but we got our car to France.

At your service, a new route Dublin to Portugal just announced.

Advertisement