Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will we fly again? II

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I don't normally go onto The Journal, just had a quick look at the comments under an article about air bridges...my God you'd swear anyone choosing to go is some sort of terrorist. If I do go abroad I will be keeping it very quiet. I don't understand why they would have an issue with travel to countries where there's an air bridge though.

Only thing that would concern me as a tourist into a country would be if there's a quarantine requirement.

Air-bridges.. Meh.. Sure Serbia is on the list of non-Eu countries to be allowed travel into the EU and I wouldn't believe their Covid19 figures.. A lot of countries have many different ways to report the numbers of infections/deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

One more sleep till I fly again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

One more sleep till I fly again! :)

Where to?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Christina Finn of The Journal now saying that the Green List won't be released on July 9. I haven't seen this anywhere else?? I give up! https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1279096547574194182?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Who would ever trust the department of foreign affairs with travel advice ever again going by this carry on?

There are many many countries that are perfectly safe to travel to but they are being too lazy to decipher between them.

Personal responsibility is only way at the moment.

Our government are being pathetic and have shown zero leadership.

We are surviving only by a fluke surge in corp tax receipts.

Absolutely, travelling to other countries is actually more safe than Ireland right now.

Spain for example, masks everywhere that you cannot social distance or else you're fined. Ireland are saying you must have masks on public transport but they're not enforcing at all, I got on a bus today without a mask (I forgot) no one else was wearing a mask either including the driver and no one said a thing

Also went to a bar/restaurant today thinking I'd have to get charged €9 for a meal before I had a drink and not one word was said, we literally just ordered drinks and not one word was mentioned about ordering food....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I got on a bus today without a mask (I forgot) no one else was wearing a mask either including the driver

In Dublin city, drivers are exempt from wearing a face covering as they are already protected from you (and you from them) behind a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭I see sheep

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Looking at flights for Norway in July 2021, but now I see the cases are surging again in Europe, I wonder will we be just in the same ****heap we are in now in another year ???

What a mess...

Can you not just go there now? Why next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Can you not just go there now? Why next year?

Norway borders are closed still ... not part of EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We are surviving only by a fluke surge in corp tax receipts.

We can borrow money at almost zero %

Pay cuts are coming in the next budget anyway and probably a usc hike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Absolutely, travelling to other countries is actually more safe than Ireland right now.

Spain for example, masks everywhere that you cannot social distance or else you're fined. Ireland are saying you must have masks on public transport but they're not enforcing at all, I got on a bus today without a mask (I forgot) no one else was wearing a mask either including the driver and no one said a thing

Also went to a bar/restaurant today thinking I'd have to get charged €9 for a meal before I had a drink and not one word was said, we literally just ordered drinks and not one word was mentioned about ordering food....

I get all that but the issue with Spain is that loads of people from Leicester for example could be at the table next to you. Nothing against them but they could have Covid.

Saying that, you never know who you’ll meet anywhere - home or abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We can borrow money at almost zero %

Pay cuts are coming in the next budget anyway and probably a usc hike

Neither of which affect the retired on whatever pensions, but everyone else will have to pay for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Truly depressing looking at the forecasts, it's no wonder people want to get away and see what Summer is like:

https://www.thejournal.ie/rain-weather-3-5144416-Jul2020/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I suppose to sum it up - is no one getting into the USA the rest of the year? I’m not advocating it for one minute, it’s in turmoil at present.

I booked a trip to New York as my girlfriend always wanted to see it at Christmas, 1st December for 5 or 6 nights.
    It was through Aer Lingus deposit scheme for US, so I only paid half of the flights, the rest has to be paid in October.
    I know things change very quick at the moment, probably best to just wait and contact aer lingus in September / closer to October?

Looks unlikely at the moment, have one friend over there says no one will get in the rest of the year, much like Australia. Plus this election coming up in November....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I suppose to sum it up - is no one getting into the USA the rest of the year? I’m not advocating it for one minute, it’s in turmoil at present.

I booked a trip to New York as my girlfriend always wanted to see it at Christmas, 1st December for 5 or 6 nights.
    It was through Aer Lingus deposit scheme for US, so I only paid half of the flights, the rest has to be paid in October.
    I know things change very quick at the moment, probably best to just wait and contact aer lingus in September / closer to October?

Looks unlikely at the moment, have one friend over there says no one will get in the rest of the year, much like Australia. Plus this election coming up in November....

I'm in the category of 'I will take my chances' and even I am not planning any trips to the US this year.

I predict that the rule will remain in place until the elections and the new president will start taking the necessary action to tackle the virus in US. Its probably going to be next year before borders open. Canada is expecting a closed border for 2020 in its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Guys, a friends of a friend needs to fly back to Ireland for a funeral. Just a one dayer and back to the UK again. Is this even possible with quaranteen periods and the like?

Apologies for the possibly basic question but I've not been following proceedings and the wife hits me with this one while I'm drilling holes and running cables in the attic.

So I'm wondering again will travel to Norway be possible by July 2021 .... since news outlets are saying this will be around for a while , 2nd wave peaking next March....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

theteal wrote: »
    Guys, a friends of a friend needs to fly back to Ireland for a funeral. Just a one dayer and back to the UK again. Is this even possible with quaranteen periods and the like?

Apologies for the possibly basic question but I've not been following proceedings and the wife hits me with this one while I'm drilling holes and running cables in the attic.

Sadly funerals are considered non essential. Your friend would have to be in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

faceman wrote: »
    Sadly funerals are considered non essential. Your friend would have to be in isolation.

Should be in isolation, no compulsion to do so. Confirmed today, they cannot make quarantine compulsory.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8520077/Forget-overseas-holiday-Qantas-pulls-international-flights-MARCH-year.html

No flights to Australia till March 2021 - Qantas CEO expects it to be at least July 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ngunners

RTE are reporting that Spain and France are unlikely to be on the green list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 BarbBrooklyn

2020 is canceled folks, stay home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Lol. Will send pics from Switzerland on Thursday kid. And Portugal in August. Enjoy being led by the nose prized cow

Hmm, I wonder will summer 2021 be cancelled too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anyone got plans for summer 2021?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Hoping to go to America in September 2021 so heres hoping that will be possible.

12 months away but a lot of people thought we would be out the other end of this by now. Hopefully the social situation will have subsided a bit too, I obviously wouldn't be interested in going in a climate of constant rioting.

Will book hotels with free cancellation at some point over the next few weeks. Have some comp nights in Vegas too so will book those also.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

We postponed Vancouver from August until next April. Holding onto a little hope but seeing the way things are going its hard not to think we'll be changing again

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

Gael23 wrote: »
    Anyone got plans for summer 2021?

Not for the summer yet. We have holidays rescheduled from this August to April 21, so will need to see what happens with that first. I also don't think it's possible to plan for holidays long term at the moment, you just need to watch the situation evolving everywhere and book something pretty much last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

JojoLoca wrote: »
    Not for the summer yet. We have holidays rescheduled from this August to April 21, so will need to see what happens with that first. I also don't think it's possible to plan for holidays long term at the moment, you just need to watch the situation evolving everywhere and book something pretty much last minute

Also rescheduled for September 2021 for Fuerteventura, were due out this Saturday, tbh not particularly hopeful at the moment with Spain's numbers but a lot can happen in a year, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

JojoLoca wrote: »

I’m hoping to go in September 2021 but not booking for another few months

• Advertisement
Advertisement