Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dodgy travel agent - what to do

• 09-09-2020 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Booked flights with Emirates through a Dublin travel agency. The flights were cancelled prior to departure by the airline and we opted for a refund. The travel agent said it could take up to 12 weeks, that was nearly 20 weeks ago. Have emailed continuously but the 3 different staff members we dealt with have all left. The Dublin office was a subsidiary of a UK company. We weren't aware but they closed the Dublin office in March. There is a phone number (unanswered, recorded message to say they will be in contact if the query relates to a refund). Their website makes no reference to the fact the office is closed and even offers appointments to discuss holidays. Filled out a form - no reply. I contacted the Irish Travel Agents Association who said they are still trading. They attempted to contact them on our behalf but were referred to the UK website - standard reply. We emailed the UK office - no reply. Lots of messages on review sites complaining about delays in refunds. This was a lot of money and I'm not prepared to let this go but don't know where to take it from here. Tried chargeback from the bank but I'm BOI and they only do chargeback from the date you make the payment - not when the service was due. Travel insurance won't cover us because we are entitled to a refund - just not able to get it. Scary that the ITAA are saying they are trading when they're not. What's the point of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

chancer12 wrote: »
    Tried chargeback from the bank but I'm BOI and they only do chargeback from the date you make the payment - not when the service was due.

This is surprising BOI have been one of the better banks.

This is not true for VISA or MasterCard.

Where you are buying a service to be delivered on a future date the chargeback period starts from that date the service was scheduled to be delivered.

Second option is make a claim directly to Eremites.
    The Airline more than likely has your money not the travel agent.
    EU261 rightly holds the airline liable not the agent.

Keep us informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are likely protecte with a bond. You can talk to the Commission for Aviation Regulation https://www.aviationreg.ie/ However, they may be regulated by the UK regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Their website makes no reference to the fact the office is closed and even offers appointments to discuss holidays.

Get a friend to make an appointment to discuss a holiday then you turn up for appointment say "where's my money ?" and refuse to leave until Gardai ask you to go. Repeat as necessary. Have some fun.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭chancer12

Thanks everyone, would you believe it ….. we got the refund. I have to say full marks to the ITAA because they sent several emails on our behalf to the Dublin and UK offices. I got a phone call on Thursday morning to say they were refunding and I have since received the transfer! I have no doubt it was the intervention of the ITAA and my statement that I would be escalating it to the relevant government agencies that prompted the response.

I know we are living in extraordinary times but it has made us very cautious. We did all the right things, went to a travel agent rather than booking directly, took the relevant (and Covid upgraded) travel insurance. Had a lot of bother with both booking.com and Airbnb on refunds also but they did come through. So disappointed with BOI. they were also proving to be very slippery. My friend used chargeback for booking.com with AIB and they were very straightforward so glad that's one flight less.

Thanks for your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thanks everyone, would you believe it ….. we got the refund. I have to say full marks to the ITAA because they sent several emails on our behalf to the Dublin and UK offices. I got a phone call on Thursday morning to say they were refunding and I have since received the transfer! I have no doubt it was the intervention of the ITAA and my statement that I would be escalating it to the relevant government agencies that prompted the response.

I know we are living in extraordinary times but it has made us very cautious. We did all the right things, went to a travel agent rather than booking directly, took the relevant (and Covid upgraded) travel insurance. Had a lot of bother with both booking.com and Airbnb on refunds also but they did come through. So disappointed with BOI. they were also proving to be very slippery. My friend used chargeback for booking.com with AIB and they were very straightforward so glad that's one flight less.

Thanks for your responses.

Except you didn't do the right thing. You're always better off booking directly with an airline. It still would have taken time to get the refund but at least you could deal with them directly.

Glad you got sorted anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement