Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan Crisps

• 29-06-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I'm nearly a month into switching from veggie to vegan and still very much on the learning curve I'm afraid.

I was faced with a new challenge today: King Cheese and Onion Crisps. The ingredients don't list cheese powder, whey, or anything else that immediately jumps out at me as not vegan. Nor is there any allergy warning regarding dairy (they do have one about gluten). I'm somewhat concerned about the "flavouring" that's listed in the ingredients though.

Anyone know off hand if King Cheese and Onion actually contains cheese etc.? Or if the allergy information is always a reliable guide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i would presume there is dairy in them. i've never come across vegan cheese and onion crisps!

walkers prawn cocktail are vegan :) walkers sent me a list of their vegan crisps before. see here

i want some crisps now... nyom nyom nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

quite a few of the pringles varieties are vegan, i know because when I had vegan relatives coming for christmas I needed to find some crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I think Tayto cheese and onion used to be but they started putting some milk derivitive in it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Same with Hunky Dory's cheese and onion. No milk/dairy warning in the allergens list. It says it contains soya, that's it.

I presume if there is dairy or dairy derived ingredients they have to say so by law.

Someone fancy emailing? I can't access my emails in work and will probably forget later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I had the same dilemma the other day when I picked up a packet of cheese and onion snax. They said suitable for veggies on the packet and there were no dairy ingredients in the allergens section. From a scan of the ingredients it would seem they only had onion powder in them to flavour them.

It is so weird though when cheese and onion crisps contain no dairy but salt and vinegar do??

• Advertisement

Ah no, snax have something in them... can't remember what. I just remember that I had opened the packet and my sister decided to read the list and ... made me sad for a moment. It was the second packet of crisps that I had bought unknowingly that evening that I had to hand over to her!

Right, I've emailed the producers of Tayto/King. I'll let you know if they get back to me.

Also, as you know, if anyone wants to join in in contacting them, it helps to bring attention to the fact that there is a (small) demand for the availability of vegan crisps :) vegans live in Ireland and want to enjoy Irish crisp products! I find myself going for Walkers simply because I know which of their products are suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Right, I've emailed the producers of Tayto/King. I'll let you know if they get back to me.

Also, as you know, if anyone wants to join in in contacting them, it helps to bring attention to the fact that there is a (small) demand for the availability of vegan crisps :) vegans live in Ireland and want to enjoy Irish crisp products! I find myself going for Walkers simply because I know which of their products are suitable.
    I'll send one off too, I didn't feel like it at 2am yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Was in the shop earlier and thought I'd pick up a couple of bags of Walkers - however both cheese and onion, and salt and vinegar listed whey or lactose, so not vegan; returned home without:(

yeah, i think the salt and vinegar used to be ok, but then they changed the ingredients :(

i was in sainsbury's today and was so glad to see that their own brand 'British Potato Crisps" (i know!) are labelled "Vegetarian & Vegan". nice to see the signage :)

• Advertisement

i was in sainsbury's today and was so glad to see that their own brand 'British Potato Crisps" (i know!) are labelled "Vegetarian & Vegan". nice to see the signage :)
    Hmm, good to know. Is cross-border shopping still frowned upon or have we gotten over it at this stage? Might follow you up ;)

lol! Yeah, I had to go up for a college thing and the driver of the car wanted to stock up on booze. I was just following suit :D The range of veggie freezer food looked fab, but I didn't get any. I did feel a bit guilty, but when they bother to label things as vegan, I feel the need to appreciate. For example, these choc bars said "suitable for vegans" on them; I couldn't not buy them! I am in conflict between thinking of the economy of our country vs. the availability of vegan food and giving custom to those who supply it...
    34234_1542366917889_1196435771_1509371_1724993_n.jpg

lol! Yeah, I had to go up for a college thing and the driver of the car wanted to stock up on booze. I was just following suit :D The range of veggie freezer food looked fab, but I didn't get any. I did feel a bit guilty, but when they bother to label things as vegan, I feel the need to appreciate. For example, these choc bars said "suitable for vegans" on them; I couldn't not buy them! I am in conflict between thinking of the economy of our country vs. the availability of vegan food and giving custom to those who supply it...
    I think the economy has bigger problems than you buying vegan food in Sainsbury's. Mmm I want some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Mmm I've heard about Sainsbury's free from range, it's meant to be really good.

Reply from Tayto/King/Hunky Dorys received today:
    Thank you for your E-Mail and all of our products are suitable for
    vegetarians but not suitable for vegans.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to
    contact me.

Kind regards
    [.........]
    Largo Food Exports Ltd
    Pity about the vegan stance of things... Though I do feel the reply was little researched as the ingredients of some seem ok. Perhaps it is down to the 'flavouring'...

Perhaps it is down to the 'flavouring'...
    Yeah that particular ingredient did stand out as being rather vague. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Or maybe they couldn't be arsed to check if it's vegan and say it's not just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EmerIbra

I emailed Largo foods asking if their crisps were Vegan and there reply was still vague, but a wee bit more informative:

Dear Emer,

Thank you for your email and query.

Unfortunately all of our products are unsuitable for vegans due the production processes used. We handle Dairy on site so there is potential for cross contamination.

Thank you for taking the time to email us with your query.

Best regards,

I replied saying I wasn't as concerned with cross-contamination as I was with the intentional use of animal derivatives and got this very irritating reply:

Dear Emer,

Thank you for your email.

All our products are suitable for vegetarians. Each product states on the bag whether it contains Dairy in the ingredients declaration.

Best regards,

So basically...she declined to answer my question. I can't figure out if it was intentional or if she's just a gombeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

EmerIbra wrote: »
    So basically...she declined to answer my question. I can't figure out if it was intentional or if she's just a gombeen.
    She's probably a bot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Posts deleted Vlgann, that kind of insulting posting is not welcome and is not constructive. Anything similar again and you will be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

I just looked at the ingredients on Tayto Snax -- looks like they're vegan.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Well, this has been a trip down memory lane.

I see I haven’t gotten any healthier in the last 9 years! Still eating crisps!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

You can make your own crisps - kale crisps- it will take you 15 minutes to make them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

FoodC wrote: »
    You can make your own crisps - kale crisps- it will take you 15 minutes to make them!

and 15 months to eat them. :rolleyes:

haha!
    I eat them in a few minutes.. it is my love :)

FoodC wrote: »

I tried and burnt them. Never again!

@sweet-rasmus

Maybe you have a bad recipe :)
    Mine actually is always perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Keogh’s have changed their recipe for their salt & vinegar crisps. Now vegan friendly.

Used to be just the crinkle version that were vegan

Advertisement