Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

May79 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what i can take for sore throat? I am 7 weeks and waken this morning with a pain in my throat that means i can't swallow. During my first gp visit she told me i can't take panadol. I can't take strepsils and i have been gargling salt water, honey and lemon all day but it feels so much worse. I won't get into gp until monday. help :(

Glycerine with honey and lemon. Its really really good and is about the only thing a pharmacist will sell you when you tell them you're pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Can you gargle with disprin when pregnant? That's what I always used before pregnancy.

Otherwise +1 for gargling with salt then taking glycerin and honey. In fact honey in everything, it's great at soothing a sore throat.

You realise how dependent we are on over the counter meds we've become when you're pregnant and can't take any of them.

Seriously recommend you avoid gargling with disprin/asprin- aside from the fact that it won't make your larynx any less sore, Dispirin and Aspirin are best avoided in early pregnancy. If you need to take something- aside from glycerine and honey- you need to seek proper medical advice before taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Hmm, didn't think you could take disprin alright considering paracetemol seems to be the only thing we can take during pregnancy.

I've to get a dental implant done and am waiting until the babs is born because I can't take prescription painkillers and there's no way in hell I'm going through that pain without meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yep, I was told not to take alka-seltzer for stomach cramps too as it had aspirin.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yep, I was told not to take alka-seltzer for stomach cramps too as it had aspirin.

You can take Gaviscon by the bucket load (within reason- and read the instructions!), it helps with cramps. In the UK its provided free of charge on the NHS to pregnant women- yet another reason to hate the Irish HSE.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i'm allergic to paracetamol so the whole way through my pregnancy was painful!!:D I broke a toe at 4 months in and it was agony, they finally relented at 7 months and gave me zydol 5mg for pain as my toe and gammy hip were really acting up..
    the only painkiller recommended i thought was paracetamol? is there a reason why you can't take it in the first trimester?? I've had 3 and on the first 2 i was allowed to take nurofen :eek: but on the last one wasn't, (there's an 8 year gap) the rules are always changing :confused: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Try gargling vinegar, always helps me when I have a sore throat!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sineadc1984

hey Everyone

My OH only told me about this site the other day (on mat leave and was complaining of being bored). Have to say its kept me entertained for hours today!! Due this Saturday on our first we're hoping he/she will be a good time keeper!! Just wondering tho if anyone had any ideas i was just thinkin today I havent been weighed since my first visit to the hospital!! is this normal?? surely they should be keeping an eye on that kind of thing and last week a foregin doc in the hospital with very little english measured my tummy with a tape measure!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

hey Everyone

My OH only told me about this site the other day (on mat leave and was complaining of being bored). Have to say its kept me entertained for hours today!! Due this Saturday on our first we're hoping he/she will be a good time keeper!! Just wondering tho if anyone had any ideas i was just thinkin today I havent been weighed since my first visit to the hospital!! is this normal?? surely they should be keeping an eye on that kind of thing and last week a foregin doc in the hospital with very little english measured my tummy with a tape measure!!

Generally they do still weigh you here in Ireland, even though UK research has shown that there is no medical benefit to weighing a woman throughout her pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Thanks for all advice. Was gargling like mad all day yest. Doc says it is viral and i was the 9th person she had seen today with it (That was by 11.30am) Got paracetemol from chemist this morning. I have to say it is the only relief i have had. I know it should be safe but still apprehensive about taking it. Hopefully this will pass asap! Scan in two weeks. I will only be 10 weeks but doc wants early scan to make sure a shadow on my R oary hasn't turned into an ectopic pregnancy. I don't think it is though. I'm swelling out like i'm 4 months pregnant. My jeans are not looking at me now! Will have to get some gear to tide me over. It's frightening how quickly pregnancy takes hold.

One more question, does morning sickness affect every one? And at what stage should it be kicking in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

May79, I was worried I was getting that viral throat thing last week, had a few very bad days, but it passed. Hope you're over it soon.

Morning sickness is most common in early pregnancy, first 12 weeks, and if you didn't have it then it's not likely that you will develop it. For most women the symptoms ease from 12 weeks as the hormones settle down, but some unlucky few have the symptoms continue for most of their pregnancy.

If you haven't had any consider yourself lucky :)

Thanks for all advice. Was gargling like mad all day yest. Doc says it is viral and i was the 9th person she had seen today with it (That was by 11.30am) Got paracetemol from chemist this morning. I have to say it is the only relief i have had. I know it should be safe but still apprehensive about taking it. Hopefully this will pass asap! Scan in two weeks. I will only be 10 weeks but doc wants early scan to make sure a shadow on my R oary hasn't turned into an ectopic pregnancy. I don't think it is though. I'm swelling out like i'm 4 months pregnant. My jeans are not looking at me now! Will have to get some gear to tide me over. It's frightening how quickly pregnancy takes hold.

One more question, does morning sickness affect every one? And at what stage should it be kicking in?

No morning sickness does not affect everyone, thank god! I was lucky not to get sick with Megan although I did feel nauseous usually in the evenings for a couple of weeks. Many women do not experience anything at all! Count yourself lucky that you are feeling so well :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

hey Everyone

The consultant was measuring your fundal height, it's a pretty accurate indication of your baby's growth.

Thanks everyone - It's good to hear that. I was afraid things might not be progressing as they should if i didn't have the dreaded morning sickness. First scan in 2 weeks so that'll be good.

I have been putting on a huge amount of weight over the past few weeks - top of thighs meeting already.... This can't be a sign of things to come surely, i have another 7.5 months to go!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks everyone - It's good to hear that. I was afraid things might not be progressing as they should if i didn't have the dreaded morning sickness. First scan in 2 weeks so that'll be good.

I have been putting on a huge amount of weight over the past few weeks - top of thighs meeting already.... This can't be a sign of things to come surely, i have another 7.5 months to go!
    Don't worry about your weight, with my son I put on half of my weight in the first trimester (was underweight) but was back at a size 8 a month after I had my son. The scan will be so much fun - best wishes!

Yeah, my bum got really big from about 7 weeks to 14 weeks. I was size 12, by 14 weeks I was wearing some old size 16 trouser I had, but my stomach was the same. I remember thinking, oh god my thights meet too, but now they don't!

Then once the morning sickness lifted it all changed and my bum got smaller and around 20 weeks my stomach got hard and a bit swollen......then very swollen!

Just at 6 weeks before I even knew I was pregnant, my mum commented: your ass has gotten massive! After words when I told her i was pregnant at 12 weeks, 1st thing she said was: must be a boy with a but like you had!

Good to hear i'm not a freak!!! The books tell you one thing should be happening and my body is doing something completely different!!! Thighs meeting now too haha. Onwards and upwards and outwards!!! I hope all levels out during the next few months. It's exciting times. I'm into tracksuits and tops full time now. I'm too big for my 'normal' clothes but too small for maternity wear. I'm loooking forward to getting a bit bigger so i can step into something more dressy ;)

Hubby very excited and already planning on shopping in the january sales for goodies. We have to hit 12 weeks yet!!!! All good though!

That's brilliant, just goes to show when you tick all the boxes you know best! Really didn't want to give you false hope as my sister is ttc at the moment with IUI and she can convince herself of anything. She was asking me about things that are happening to her 3 days after treatment when I only found out I was pregnant at 7 weeks so I didn't notice any signs.

Again congrads, hope it all goes well.

By the way I was born in May 79.....you too?

Hi there - just re-reading the posts in the forum - sorry i seemed to have missed this but yes to your question. May 1979 :D

I have run into a bit of a problem. I'm 38 weeks and have just started maternity leave so finally had time to pack my hospital bag.

I intend on breast feeding, do I bring the pump to the hospital? How will I sterilize it and then leave it in a bag for 3 weeks? Can I sterilise it in the hospital or will they just give you a pump while your there?

Same with the 2 bottles you have to bring, will I sterilise them 1st. I remember 18 yrs ago when my brother was a baby, the guidelines were, something is only good for 24hrs after it is sterilised. And also the dummies...

OK shouldn't have left it so late to think about these things.

• Advertisement

You have to bring bottles to the hospital now? In the Dublin hospitals they still give out those plastic bottles (for breast milk) and the glass bottles of formula! They also provided the pump.

Oh that makes more scence, right does anyone know if they do this also in WRH (Waterford)

Oh that makes more scence, right does anyone know if they do this also in WRH (Waterford)

Ring them in advance and they will direct you to a local pharmacy who stock the bottles, tubes etc. You have to buy the bottles etc (about 15 quid) and then rent the machine after you leave hospital on a monthly basis.

There are two models of the machine that you can get- you should ask for the larger more modern Medela Symphony hospital grade breast pump- its so much easier to use than the portable one.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ring them in advance and they will direct you to a local pharmacy who stock the bottles, tubes etc. You have to buy the bottles etc (about 15 quid) and then rent the machine after you leave hospital on a monthly basis.

There are two models of the machine that you can get- you should ask for the larger more modern Medela Symphony hospital grade breast pump- its so much easier to use than the portable one.

Thanks for that, I have the Medela pump and the bottles, but I wanted to know if I can sterilize them in the hospital, or do I sterilize them now and pack them in my hospital bag.

The Avent 125ml bottles 2 pack are currently half price at €5.99 in Sam McCauleys at the moment!

http://www.philips.ie/c/avent-baby-bottle-feeding/4-oz-x-2-newborn-flow-teat-scf680_27/prd/

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

I thought you didn't even try to express until breastfeeding was established, after about a month or so? :confused:
    So no need to bring a pump in with you but if one is required then the hospital will have one?

Thanks for that, I have the Medela pump and the bottles, but I wanted to know if I can sterilize them in the hospital, or do I sterilize them now and pack them in my hospital bag.

The Avent 125ml bottles 2 pack are currently half price at €5.99 in Sam McCauleys at the moment!

http://www.philips.ie/c/avent-baby-bottle-feeding/4-oz-x-2-newborn-flow-teat-scf680_27/prd/

Depends on the hospital- normally they have their own machine (the hospital machine is a very heavy duty model quite unlike the more modest one you rent yourself)- and will happily sterilise bottles etc at the nurses station (which would normally have a steam steriliser- but it can't hurt to ask next time you're in).

cch- you can express right from the very start- there can be multiple reasons for doing so- including very often some babies may have difficulty latching on.

S.

Ok, that's great, I'll leave the pump and all that stuff at home and I can get it brought in if I need it.
    Thanks.

Just back from having an early scan. I have pcos and gp needs to monitor cyst on R ovary. (initially afraid it might be a 2nd sack - ectopic) Anyway, thought we were 9 weeks and the nurse thinks we might be 10 weeks and all looks great. legs moving like crazy, only one hand waving. The other must be hidden. Heart beating and everything. Really happy and feel we can relax a wee bit now. Tried to date the pregnancy but too much movement so due date anything from 11th of April to 15th of April. Not much difference there!!! Meeting with consultant next week so she'll probably do another scan and go through the whole weight and measurements i guess. I don't really know what the entails. She wants to see me early as i am a high risk pregnancy whatever that means. So far all is great :D

Just back from having an early scan. I have pcos and gp needs to monitor cyst on R ovary. (initially afraid it might be a 2nd sack - ectopic) Anyway, thought we were 9 weeks and the nurse thinks we might be 10 weeks and all looks great. legs moving like crazy, only one hand waving. The other must be hidden. Heart beating and everything. Really happy and feel we can relax a wee bit now. Tried to date the pregnancy but too much movement so due date anything from 11th of April to 15th of April. Not much difference there!!! Meeting with consultant next week so she'll probably do another scan and go through the whole weight and measurements i guess. I don't really know what the entails. She wants to see me early as i am a high risk pregnancy whatever that means. So far all is great :D

Thats great news!! Congratulations :D

• Advertisement

Haha makes all the difference when you're tired and just wanting the baby out :p

Advertisement