Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

cbyrd, you are a legend. I hope someone builds you a monument somewhere! :D

I'm off work, 8 weeks to go to d-day, and going crazy at home. My sleep patterns are a mess (can't sleep at night, but then sleep half the day), I'm bored out of my brains, and the only thing that keeps me going are the endless doctors appointments...meh.

Have the hospital bag packed now, at least ;-) finally found some long sleepshirts that can be buttoned open. not pretty, but what the heck. I assume the postnatal ward is not a beauty competition...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Thanks galah :D i have built a monument to myself in my head . . the only other one i'll get will start off reading . . Here Lies :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ha, Ha Cbyrd.... I'd say your work mates are afraid to riung in sick, the boss would just refer to you and they'd have to come in!

I had the scan yesterday. App for 10am, seen at 12:10. My poor babs sat in her buggy for 1.5hrs then she lost it so we had to go on pointless rounds of the waiting room. Realised the back wheel on the buggy squeeks! I would have asked me to leave if I was any of the other patients.

The scan lasted 3 mins, baby grand, he's exactly the same size as baby 1 at the 23 weeks so I'm def due the 31st of Jan.

Midwife seemed to know I was p1ssed off so she told me to leave it for 6 weeks before I come back for a appointment.
    Yeh!!

Atleast I can get the doc to fill out the maternity form next week and get work to send it to the out-soursed payroll dept on the Moon.
    Baby 1 started in creche yesterday, she loves it, not a bother on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

My doc told me after my scan on tuesday that there were new gestational diabetes scanning criteria introduced a few months ago, which may be why a lot more of us lot are getting tested, and of course, why it seems like everyone has it! She told me that many many more women are being tested, and in her clinic alone there are nearly 4 times as many women going (by way of explaining why it's supposed to be finished at lunchtime, but we sometimes don't get out of there till after 3).

So I guess we can complain about the public health system, but if they're just treating a lot more patients now (at least for GD) it's hard to really fault it. Of course, at some point in theory they should be expanding the service, providing more midwives and doctors and dietitians, etc. to the clinic, but with the way things are right now, I can't see that happening any time soon.

Thank goodness I only have 4 weeks to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thanks Cybrd! Got 3 packs of the green hospital ones and a pack of the Mothercare ones too! We'll see how that goes :) got a box of breastpads today too! I really wanna breastfeed but I'm a little freaked out by it too... I really hope I'll be able to do it! Sure only time will tell lol! Had a great day out with my BF's today :) really cheered me up! Had a yummy Mocca Frapachino hehe :O i don't drink tea or coffee usually but I enjoy my treat once a week now!
    How are all of you lovely Mammies to be?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hi all. hope everyone is well. 14 weeks left tomorrow :eek::D cant wait.

i half fell today. my dog tripped me up and it felt like i was falling for an age and couldnt get my balance. dont think i actually landed on the ground but hit my hand and hip off the wall. belly wasnt hurt and baby has been moving and i feel grand so hopefully everything is fine.

any one have any ideas how to circulate heat around a mobile? we have a stove in our mobile and it gets up to 34 degrees in the sitting room. trying to figure out how to keep a consant temp all over. im wondering would a fan do the job? want to have it figured out for when baby arrives. its one of my big worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Tigeress wrote: »
    ...got a box of breastpads today too! I really wanna breastfeed but I'm a little freaked out by it too... I really hope I'll be able to do it! Sure only time will tell lol!
    I really, really recommend going along to a breastfeeding group before your baby comes - Cuidiu, La Leche League, the PHN clinic, anywhere at all. Apart from actually doing it yourself, there is nothing like seeing another woman feed her baby normally and unselfconsciously to help you imagine doing it yourself. I was lucky that my older sister nursed her two kids so it wasn't strange to me, but if you haven't had much experience of other people doing it, it can make a world of difference linking up with people who do. That and be prepared for feeling completely out of control for the first week - if you get through that you should manage for as long as you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

hi all. hope everyone is well. 14 weeks left tomorrow :eek::D cant wait.

i half fell today. my dog tripped me up and it felt like i was falling for an age and couldnt get my balance. dont think i actually landed on the ground but hit my hand and hip off the wall. belly wasnt hurt and baby has been moving and i feel grand so hopefully everything is fine.

any one have any ideas how to circulate heat around a mobile? we have a stove in our mobile and it gets up to 34 degrees in the sitting room. trying to figure out how to keep a consant temp all over. im wondering would a fan do the job? want to have it figured out for when baby arrives. its one of my big worries!

Hope your ok hun, if in any doubt get yourself and the baba checked out at the hosp - even just fir peace of mind, sounds like you managed to kinda catch yourself tho so I'm sure it's all good!
    I'm feeling plenty of kicking now which us wonderful! Still gentle enough kicks so still nice and enjoyable! Although my husband felt one last nite while his hand was on my belly , it def was one as I felt it quite hard at the same second, he was so so delighted! I didn't think that was possible so early - I'm only 21 weeks this weekend! Anyone else have it happen so early? Wondering if I have a future man utd striker in there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hope your ok hun, if in any doubt get yourself and the baba checked out at the hosp - even just fir peace of mind, sounds like you managed to kinda catch yourself tho so I'm sure it's all good!
    I'm feeling plenty of kicking now which us wonderful! Still gentle enough kicks so still nice and enjoyable! Although my husband felt one last nite while his hand was on my belly , it def was one as I felt it quite hard at the same second, he was so so delighted! I didn't think that was possible so early - I'm only 21 weeks this weekend! Anyone else have it happen so early? Wondering if I have a future man utd striker in there!!!

I'm 22 weeks on Monday and in the last week to 10 days the kicks, while mostly gentle enough, can be gaspingly strong! Last night, he seemed to be swimming around, the kicks were all over! I'm expecting to produce a Ligue 1 footballer or Top 14 rugby player and the very least at this stage!

I've been feeling kicks since week 18 I think. Apparently you can feel them earlier if your belly was thin before the pregnancy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Awww that's brilliant Dublin Lady...I suppose it depends where baby is and where the placenta is? If the placenta is to the back, then I would imagine you'd get a few strong kicks? I know I had a low lying placenta at the start of this pregnancy and I could feel strong kicks earlier than I could on my first.

Mind you this one I have nicknamed 'Kung Fu Panda' and have asked several times at scans whether they can see any fur and a tail ;) I don't think I'm going to have to push it out because it's going to beat it's way out ::D

• Advertisement

...got a box of breastpads today too! I really wanna breastfeed but I'm a little freaked out by it too... I really hope I'll be able to do it! Sure only time will tell lol!
    I really, really recommend going along to a breastfeeding group before your baby comes - Cuidiu, La Leche League, the PHN clinic, anywhere at all. Apart from actually doing it yourself, there is nothing like seeing another woman feed her baby normally and unselfconsciously to help you imagine doing it yourself. I was lucky that my older sister nursed her two kids so it wasn't strange to me, but if you haven't had much experience of other people doing it, it can make a world of difference linking up with people who do. That and be prepared for feeling completely out of control for the first week - if you get through that you should manage for as long as you like!

Thanks Cat :) there's a support group for before & after birth in Portlaoise Hospital so I'm calling today to book in for the next class :) both my BF's have babies and they both breastfeed them and said it wasnt so bad! It something I really wanna do so hopefully it'll all be manageable and I'll w able to do it!

Thats great that you're feeling kicks DL! I was about 20 weeks when I felt my 1st proper kick :) it seems like forever ago now! They get so much so stronger too! I get beat up on an hourly basis these days :) it's awesome! 29 weeks tomorrow :o is it weird that I'm ready to have this baby already?! I'm in so much pain with my Pelvis and Hips that I can't imagine it getting worse (which I know it will as I get heavier!) after 2 months of waiting I finally got my Physio Appoint for Tues @ 2:30pm :) I'm hoping it helps! Kinda excited about going..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

As soon as my ass hit's the couch in the evening this one starts.. arching his back up to the right over my ribs.. it's freaky looking.. he did it the other day when i was having an internal.. the midwife laughed saying he was trying to get away :D he was just going the wrong way :pac: he kicks like mad it's actually quite sore now..
    So tesco delivered my shopping again.. that's 2 weeks in a row.. thought i'd have a baby to push around the shops by now :rolleyes:
    I'm going back to bed now.. so take note.. i am willingly walking away from cleaning the kitchen :eek:

Tigress, I feel your pain re the pelvis....mine kills in the evening. Particularly if I walk a lot during the day, or if I've been sitting for a long time, it takes me a couple of goes to stand up. I said it to the doc and he said there was nothing could be done about it.

However, I have taken up pregnancy yoga, initially it was to get my breathing on track for labour, but it actually does help my pelvis too. When I'm in the class it really hurts to get into some of the positions, but I notice the next day I feel a bit better. It could just be coincidence? lol

If it's any comfort at all I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and I was afraid it would be so much worse at this stage too, but it's actually not, it's kind of like a steady increase that you can actually cope with.

I am however worried about cbyrd and her walking away from the kitchen though....surely not! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It's official you're not going to make your last day tomorrow Cbyrd!

I've felt movement on this baby and the last from about 14 weeks. Hubby was able to feel bubbles from about 20-21 weeks. Now sure you can just sit there and watch my belly do the tango. I'm lashing the raspberry leaf tea into me today, in capsules, can't stomach the tea leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Went to a family wedding last night. Had a really good time meeting people I haven't seen in ages and dancing - haven't been dancing in ages! Baby must have been wondering what was going on :D! But if I heard the word "neat" or "tidy" one more time :rolleyes: Had three people rub my belly, I don't know am I against it but it feels really weird. Though one person did it a few times in the night and I would have prefered her to stop. Really tired this morning though. Woke at my usual 7am and had to have a nap at 1pm. My first of probably many to come! :D

Thats great that you're feeling kicks DL! I was about 20 weeks when I felt my 1st proper kick :) it seems like forever ago now! They get so much so stronger too! I get beat up on an hourly basis these days :) it's awesome! 29 weeks tomorrow :o is it weird that I'm ready to have this baby already?! I'm in so much pain with my Pelvis and Hips that I can't imagine it getting worse (which I know it will as I get heavier!) after 2 months of waiting I finally got my Physio Appoint for Tues @ 2:30pm :) I'm hoping it helps! Kinda excited about going..

I had 4 physio appointments last time in the hospital and I found them a heap of crap. I dont really mean to be so pessimistic....BUT

Make sure the therapist and yourself do each exercise and repeat it the amount of times you are supposed to do it.

My theripist did about 5 exercises in 1 hour, each one about 4 times then said do this every day and repeat each exercise 15 times. I could have had the same thing from youtube!. I was in too much pain to do any exercises.

I then had 1 session of private physio, the therapist wasnt comfortable continuing as I was in such bad shape. Turned out my new 'penguin walk' was causing me to squash 2 disks in my back. I was

Yoga really did work for my but was too expensive and is not an option at ll this time due to cost.

This time I have been told to take a massive amount of Paracetamol every day to keep me on my feet.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I had 4 physio appointments last time in the hospital and I found them a heap of crap. I dont really mean to be so pessimistic....BUT

Make sure the therapist and yourself do each exercise and repeat it the amount of times you are supposed to do it.

My theripist did about 5 exercises in 1 hour, each one about 4 times then said do this every day and repeat each exercise 15 times. I could have had the same thing from youtube!. I was in too much pain to do any exercises.

I then had 1 session of private physio, the therapist wasnt comfortable continuing as I was in such bad shape. Turned out my new 'penguin walk' was causing me to squash 2 disks in my back. I was

Yoga really did work for my but was too expensive and is not an option at ll this time due to cost.

This time I have been told to take a massive amount of Paracetamol every day to keep me on my feet.

I'm living in hope that it'll help bit I know in the back of my mind that the worst pain is yet to come as I get bigger... Still wishful thinking and all that :)

Sorry for the next bit TMI warning! Is anyone having super bad constipation probs? I was grand for ages but the last week has been hell :( I eat 2 bowls of bran flakes with raisins daily a load of cranberry juice (cant drink orange due to reactions) and fruit but nothing seems to helping :( any suggestions that I'm not trying ladies? I know the other is prune juice which at this stage I'm willing to try but I can't find it anywhere?!

YOu can get 'stool softner liquid' or senna in the chemist but you have to ask the doc first... both work!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

YOu can get 'stool softner liquid' or senna in the chemist but you have to ask the doc first... both work!

Yes Dupholac is a liquid stool softner liquid and you can take twice a day. Chemist assured me that it's perfectly safe as even babies can be given it.

I am 38+1 and fed up now.

I had very bad back/pelvis pain when trying to get up after long periods of sitting or lying. At my 33 week apt i was told baby was OP (back to back) and i changed the way i was sitting for the next 4 weeks and now baby has turned (yay) and funny enough my back pain is not as excruciating.

• Advertisement

Is this d-day for Cbryd? If so very best of luck, hope everything goes well.

If not, I'll take a pot of spag bol and my grass could do with a cutting....thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

15 weeks yesterday, rang about going on the Domino Scheme but they don't know if I can cos I get the occasional migraines and had 2 UTI's 4 years ago, never knew they would be so strict :(
    The midwives are going to talk to my consultant next week to see if she will sign me off for it, fingers crosses :)

I'm living in hope that it'll help bit I know in the back of my mind that the worst pain is yet to come as I get bigger... Still wishful thinking and all that :)

Sorry for the next bit TMI warning! Is anyone having super bad constipation probs? I was grand for ages but the last week has been hell :( I eat 2 bowls of bran flakes with raisins daily a load of cranberry juice (cant drink orange due to reactions) and fruit but nothing seems to helping :( any suggestions that I'm not trying ladies? I know the other is prune juice which at this stage I'm willing to try but I can't find it anywhere?!

More TMI...

The week before I went into labour last time, I was a bit constipated, but didnt do anything about it apart from some Bran Flakes etc.

When I was in labour I told the midwife and she said that could 'cause some discomfort' for the delivery, it did! So this time I'll be keeping everything clear as possible!

More TMI...

The week before I went into labour last time, I was a bit constipated, but didnt do anything about it apart from some Bran Flakes etc.

When I was in labour I told the midwife and she said that could 'cause some discomfort' for the delivery, it did! So this time I'll be keeping everything clear as possible!

Oh really?! Another helpful tip :) thanks for the help ladies! Gonna visit the Pharmacist today..

Good luck Cybrd just encase :) and I'll take a portion or 3 of that spagbol with Hannible :p

MS what's the Domino thingy?! Never heard of it.. Congrats on the 15 weeks :)

29 weeks tomorrow so only 11 to go.. Hurry up already :) I wanna meet this little peanut hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Does anyone know of any good antenatal classes to go to that are free, I have been going to the one in Holles street and the last class is next week but have not found them that good, have not done any exercise during the class apart from the physio showing us how to sit on an exercise ball, have not done any breathing or any pelvic exercises, next weeks class is just another talk and we are being shown around the delivery ward thats it!!! So basically I have no clue what to do during labour and I am 37 + 2 days so am starting to get even more nervous now. By the way where do you get the green hospital pads? I got a green of mothercare ones in mothercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

More TMI...

My hospital offer a stool softener/laxative when you are in early stages of labour - just to clear you out before you enter the labour ward for the big push. I plan on taking it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My hospital offer a stool softener/laxative when you are in early stages of labour - just to clear you out before you enter the labour ward for the big push. I plan on taking it :)

Thought they done away with enema's years ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I got 2 enemas while in 'early' labour last time, but that was 8 years ago. I wasn't offered it even back then though, I asked for them. It was a huge relief at the time, and then I didn't have to deal with the additional discomfort while all the other labour stuff was going on. I plan on begging for another one *at least* this time. I've been constipated since I got the + on the pregnancy test, and I know that it was VERY uncomfortable when I was still constipated while in labour.

Plus I was admittedly a little squeamish about pooing on my doctor! Although when the time actually came where that was even a possibility, I could not have cared less :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

21 weeks Tom :-)
    My back is killing me today, been a long week at work tho where I have to stand all day so I hope that's it!
    Big scan on Monday! I'm sooooo excited!! Let's just hope my baba doesn't keep his / hers legs crossed!!

Tigeress can't believe your 29 weeks! That's brill!

So far no probs with constipation but I know duphalac and laxose liquid are both ok in pregnancy but important to drink plenty of water while taking it as otherwise ya can get dehydrated!

Started prenatal yoga this week - def think I'll need it with this back pain I'm getting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'll be asking for an enema this time! There wasn't one offered last time. I was induced and nothing happened for hours, so I had lunch and snacks and all sorts. Don't know what I was thinking, it made for one very unpleasant aspect of labour! I'll be much more careful about what I eat going into it this time, and if labour happens to start itself this time, I'll be looking for help early on to make as much room as possible for baby!

Advertisement