Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential for wind and snow (NW) 4th, 5th December - DISCUSSION ONLY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Confab wrote: »
    Gobbledygook translation? If I told you an airliner crashed because of an ELAC 1+2 fault combined with ADIRU misalignment, and dropping out of Normal law and a sustained alpha above 30 degrees would you know what I meant?

I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Hello Confab and SuCampu,

Any chance you could pm each other with your little spat? I only log on here for the weather :rolleyes:. Other than that I appreciate your input. Puz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

facepalm.jpg?1282626490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A nice upgrade this morning across the models with a more northerly tilt on Monday's event, -7C uppers for the north which would probably give snow close to sea level if there's enough precipitation :)

The storm seems to have totally disappeared though

gfs-0-96_ubm6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hail Showers in Sligo Town this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Su Campu wrote: »
    Yes I would, but I would hope that you would first summarise it in plain English for those unfamiliar with the terminology, like I did! ;) The details were added for those interested in why I thought what I thought in the first paragraph - for all others, skip through to the next chapter please!

popcorn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if polar air has dropped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

cocoemma wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if polar air has dropped?

What do you mean dropped? You mean headed south towards us? We get polar airmasses all the time, maybe you mean Arctic air, which is a lot colder and is still a few hundred miles to our north.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

no updates on models from mt or su in a while is this startin to go downhill ........usually any mention of snow or wind has the place in a frenzy , hope its the calm before the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

howlinwolf wrote: »
    no updates on models from mt or su in a while is this startin to go downhill ........usually any mention of snow or wind has the place in a frenzy , hope its the calm before the storm

In the short term we're talking a sprinkling of snow showers. It's hardly snowmegeddon. Save the excitement for an event of note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Just bought a snow shovel in Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Just bought a snow shovel in Aldi.

Officially jinxed - you have single handedly ensured it won't snow this winter!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

SNOW SNOW SNOW.

Well folks the latest GFS is out and we're now at a reliable timeframe for the charts. These are only 72 hours out. -4 uppers widespread over ireland going to -5 in midlands/ west and -6 up in the north!

snow72h.png

Get your shovels, get your de-icer and get your sledges!

snowonly72.png

WINTER IS COMING HERE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Officially jinxed - you have single handedly ensured it won't snow this winter!!!

I kept the cold away by buying some electric heaters a few weeks ago. Thought they'd only affect inside the house, how wrong I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ophelia75

Hi there!
    have been hovering around this site for a good while now and have decided to join in on the conversation. I'm really interested in all things weather especially around the winter time when there is potential for exciting weather. Just been reading m.t cranium's weather outlook for next week and he mentioned something about a possible epic storm heading this direction- said the 00z gfs run shows this. Just wondering what the rest of you make of this. Iknow it is probably too early to tell anyway but maybe the model watchers among you can add to this conversation. Would be interesting development in up to now pretty benign season weather wise!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

SNOW SNOW SNOW.

Well folks the latest GFS is out and we're now at a reliable timeframe for the charts. These are only 72 hours out. -4 uppers widespread over ireland going to -5 in midlands/ west and -6 up in the north!

snow72h.png

snowonly72.png

WINTER IS COMING HERE!

snow shovel check
    de icer check Got that on last weeks shopping trip
    sledges check Dusting them off from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

SNOW SNOW SNOW.

snow72h.png

snowonly72.png

WINTER IS COMING HERE!
    What about us in the south east who don't see snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Oh God much as I friggin loved the weather forum and the actual weather last winter I'm not sure I'm ready for the f5'ing again to see where/when/how much snow/ice/graupel is happening ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

only one wrote: »

And im afraid we wont see it for a while yet unless your on the top of a mountain, the best feed for us in the south east is a north easterly or an easterly blast which we will more than likely see come mid January or February you just have to be a bit patient:)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

only one wrote: »

And im afraid we see it for a while yet unless your on the top of a mountain, the best feed for us in the south east is a north easterly or an easterly blast which we will more than likely see come mid January or February you just have to be a but patient:)
    Ok cheers for that. I'll try me best to be patient :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

SNOW SNOW SNOW.

snow72h.png

snowonly72.png

WINTER IS COMING HERE!

Stooopppppp.... I wont be able to sleep with the excitement. Last year was legendary. And this forum just made it so much better:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Oh God much as I friggin loved the weather forum and the actual weather last winter I'm not sure I'm ready for the f5'ing again to see where/when/how much snow/ice/graupe is happening ...

Is it not easier to just look out your window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

so is snow really coming ye? how much and how long will it last, will dublin be affected? please reply:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Is it not easier to just look out your window.

Oh that too obviously, had a well positioned lamppost! I worked 40 mins from my house tho and had a 3 hr drive to mayo to do on two occasions during the snow (one of them took 6.5hrs!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

My lampspost bulb has burnt out. I need to get it repaired quick. Who should I call?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Eirtricity Public lighting on 1850372772!! Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's a GFS Gramet for Ballyhaise for Sunday night into Monday night, showing snow making it down to around 100 m early Monday, as -6 °C 850s are in place, and surface temperatures only make it to +1 °C.

183401.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

bb1234567 wrote: »
    so is snow really coming ye? how much and how long will it last, will dublin be affected? please reply:)

To answer that yes there is, the 18z wasn’t bad at all, Where will it snow? The west and northwest are more favoured and some higher locations in the midlands, Dublin more than likely won’t see much as an easterly would be more favoured, That’s going by tonight’s 18z Gfs run, that could all change with a shortwave being shot out of the states or Canada, as they say stay tuned:) You should move to the USA:) serious cold on the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

bb1234567 wrote: »

i beg of you not to start this please

just keep an eye on here, you should know as well as anyone that your question is not answerable

just wait and see please:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

To answer that yes there is, the 18z wasn’t bad at all, Where will it snow? The west and northwest are more favoured and some higher locations in the midlands, Dublin more than likely won’t see much as an easterly would be more favoured, That’s going by tonight’s 18z Gfs run, that could all change with a shortwave being shot out of the states or Canada, as they say stay tuned:) You should move to the USA:) serious cold on the way

Sorry to be off topic but just noticed what you said about USA, are you talking short term? I'm heading over to New York in 10 days and would love to see some snow!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement