Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Model Discussion Thread - short term

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

baraca wrote: »
    That's a low pressure system pete

Over to the left of the Pic over Greenland and all the way down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Over to the left of the Pic over Greenland and all the way down ?

Would be a bit too far west. The connection and heights not that strong either. It would be unlikely I'd say if that sort of chart gave a strong block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

An extremely windy GFS tonight, near constant strong winds for the next 5 or 6 days

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Brief period of colder weather, with small risk of low level sleet in the northwest and north. Moderate risk of sleet 250m asl in the same regions.

I would like to report we had sleet today, and it was as near as damit at sea lvl.

No dont get excited, It was about 4 bits on the windscreen in a hell of shower that lasted 20 mins.
    You knoiw the type the wind just blows and the sky turns black.

But still first sleet for the year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I would like to report we had sleet today, and it was as near as damit at sea lvl.

No dont get excited, It was about 4 bits on the windscreen in a hell of shower that lasted 20 mins.
    You knoiw the type the wind just blows and the sky turns black.

But still first sleet for the year ;)

I thought I warned all you IOM shadow feckers never to darken the door of this forum again after what ye did to me last year!!!

6405816685_d7ef53430c_m.jpg

;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

AM i allowed post this here now? :)

Showing sleet and id say hill snow in places :)

182762.png

182763.png

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Iancar29 wrote: »
    AM i allowed post this here now? :)

Showing sleet and id say hill snow in places :)

182762.png

182763.png

thats being showing on and off for the last 5-6 days anywhere from the 3rd to the 6th december.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

2nd of December seems more likely to show something.

Dew point is just about there for parts of the country.
    182959.gif

As is air temp...JUST
    182960.gif

As is the precipitation, just about :P
    182961.gif

Clutching at straws there but it seems plausible :P

Almost the same lineup for Sunday afternoon/evening too. Other than that, nothing else cropping up for snow potential in the short run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Should keep an eye on that little shortwave coming in off the Atlantic next week end (represented by that small bulge in the isobars just to the Southwest on the charts below) against a very cold Northwesterly flow. It's actually the polar front which means it's a potential temperature battleground - cold from the north, mild from the south. It will not turn rain into wine but it could turn rain into snow. A potential snow event. The GFS has this possibility aswell. The UKMO shy's away from it ballooning the depth of the depression and consequently the warm sector. The ECM run this evening looks quite good.

Recm1441.gif

Recm1442.gif

That's the sober model. The less sober JMA model prompting quite a wind and rain/sleet/snow event next weekend.

J168-21.GIF?28-12

J168-7.GIF?28-12

That may not happen of course but it is 144hrs out now and worth keeping an eye on over the next few days. Other then that a short window of wintry showers and frosty nights almost certainly by the end of next weekend into the early days of next week with scope for further upgrades or downgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think it's a good idea that, when posting charts, if we could save the image and attach it to the post instead of posting the live url, as live images update continuously, so for someone coming along later and reading the post, things can get very confusing, and what they're reading in the text bears no relation to what's shown on the chart!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Done and done Mr. Su :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

On the 18z again we see this nasty looking battleground shortwave next Sunday and I would not be at all suprised if it came off like this to see frontal snow from this setup either ahead or on the back edge of the warm and cold fronts respectively.

Rtavn1441.png

HIRLAM is showing a similar sort of set up for Thursday

hirlam-0-60_wip1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

This day next week according to latest GFS
    183367.png

183366.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Not a bad little upgrade for the 18z early on
    Sunday night could well give a fall of snow for favoured North and West
    510 dam thickness touching Scotland:eek:

Yeah another really interesting run throughout, strong wind events, a few potential snow events and in general it should throw up some interesting weather much like the past week has

FI is only a few days out though with new lows showing up all over the place. The ensembles are already splitting just three days out so interesting times ahead :)

graphe_ens4_tws0.gif

Mean 850hPa temps below 0C for the duration of the run as well!

graphe_ens3_gxp2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I wonder how long before model performance beyond a couple of days gets near to being statistically valid.

Advertisement