Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Captain America Cody's promo was brilliant car crash TV.

"In 1961 there was still racial segregation but in 2021 me and my wife are having....*chokes up*....are having a mixed race baby."

So brave. He is like a wrestling version of Michael Scott/David Brent. A jacked cringe monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

J. Marston wrote: »
    Captain America Cody's promo was brilliant car crash TV.

"In 1961 there was still racial segregation but in 2021 me and my wife are having....*chokes up*....are having a mixed race baby."

So brave. He is like a wrestling version of Michael Scott/David Brent. A jacked cringe monster.

It was all sorts of hammy pandering bollox and I loved it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Liger Bomb on Oc looked brutal, so I presumed the match was stalled cause of a legit injury. Which was a shame but understandable. That’s the joys of live Tv and I can completely give them a pass on the awkward ending for that. As a PAC and an OC fan, a triple threat is the best scenario for me going forward and I can’t wait for that match.

Loved Miro vs Darby. As a Miro mark, that main event pretty much has locked me in as a weekly viewer for the time being. I ge the vibe I’m lucky I didn’t experience the initial weeks of Miro in AEW and will benefit from basically picking up the character over the last few weeks but I thought he looked a monster, and Darby looked a great baby face.

The Cody stuff wasn’t my cup of tea at all, but I think the whole “patriotic” stuff on a face never resonates massively for me as a foreigner, I guess. I get why that’s the character, and I get the audience in America will gobble that stuff up. I just don’t care about it massively.

In this weeks edition of “ wrestling logic I love yet WWE never bothers me”....I love how everyone seems to have a friend or a partner, or a stable. Allies. It comes across way more natural that in the brutal world of pro wrestling , you’d want allies with the same goals to back you up. From a character point of view, you’d want people watching your back. And it lets multiple feuds cross over and provides more fresh routes for matches between big shows. As opposed to WWE where it often feels like two individuals will figh week in, week out, and never seek back up, even when utterly outnumbered. AEW feels way more natural. Of course Mox would have Kingston, of course PAC has Fenix and Penta, of course OC has the Best Friends. In most aspects of life, you’d have people working towards goals with you. AND it helps loners stand out as loners too, cause they are different.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Loved Miro vs Darby. As a Miro mark, that main event pretty much has locked me in as a weekly viewer for the time being. .

giphy.gif

We got him lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Nice to see that Sammy Guevara has gotten over his fear of golf carts anyways :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe they should've got one with a back so we couldn't see Jericho ducked down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe they should've got one with a back so we couldn't see Jericho ducked down. :)

Someone had one job. They failed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Absolutely loved it.

Just nice sitting down for 2hrs and just being entertained

You know what's bloody amazing, that a 53yr is that good in the ring. Yuji Nagata just blew me away.

He wants to wrestle into his 70s? The way he's now who am I to doubt him

Loved that Darby V Miro match

Miro is just a ****ing monster and god damn it's going to be hard to see who'll take him out

Headshot wrote: »
    Absolutely loved it.

Just nice sitting down for 2hrs and just being entertained

You know what's bloody amazing, that a 53yr is that good in the ring. Yuji Nagata just blew me away.

He wants to wrestle into his 70s? The way he's now who am I to doubt him

Loved that Darby V Miro match

Miro is just a ****ing monster and god damn it's going to be hard to see who'll take him out

Miro is proof that no matter how bad one is booked, and Miro was arguably the worst booked talent in AEW at one point, a little bit of rehab can do wonders.

It takes very little to turn things around once its done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They also had to do a promo and set up a triple threat on the fly and make it look good and they did compare that to the rain delay at WM where the talent looked like deer in headlights when it was thrown to them to do promos on the fly.

We non Americans will never really get the US military USA USA USA blind patriotism stuff however that isn't aimed at a non US audience it is squarely aimed at middle America and it works.

Cody's promo worked on that front and it also worked on making Ogogo which was it's main goal.

• Advertisement

The SCU storyline was so simple and so well done.

The SCU storyline was so simple and so well done.

It was and both SCU played their roles perfectly. Delighted the obvious Kaz turn didnt occur and they embraced instead. Very refreshing.

The visual of Daniels bleeding on the sneakers was fantastic.

Allin is should a bumping machine he could probably get me over.

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1392658801396961281?s=20

Starks may need knee surgery now as well, He could be out for a long time.

Time for Starks to replace JR on commentary and keep him around.

Allin is should a bumping machine he could probably get me over.

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1392658801396961281?s=20

I replayed this numerous times on Fite and it still blows me away each time

Headshot wrote: »
    I replayed this numerous times on Fite and it still blows me away each time

It was some spot, both Miro's timing and Darby's ability to literally turn into a human cannonball just blew my mind.

I do think having the backstage Mox/Kingston bit right away after SCU lost the was a bit quick. SCU were done and they cut to the back instead of giving them a bit of time

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I do think having the backstage Mox/Kingston bit right away after SCU lost the was a bit quick. SCU were done and they cut to the back instead of giving them a bit of time

It was a terrible segment too.

And just reinforced by the 4 guys standing around a small pile later.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What an episode!

I don't know anything really about Japanese wrestling, but is what we saw with Mox and Nagata the sort of style that's the norm there? If so, I think I'll have to watch some New Japan. That was a great match, could possibly have done with 3 or 4 more minutes to get to the end I think. Big respect for Nagata putting in a shift like that with a man like Mox. I don't have many thoughts on Mox using the Troggs as his entrance.

Cody's promo - that's the sorta thing that'll rile up the Yanks - they genuinely don't understand that the rest of the world thinks they're barbarians and their internal propaganda has always sold "The American Dream" like this - hell, Dusty made a career on it, no reason Cody shouldn't want to tap into that and the fans will eat it up. It was no "hard times," but it was simple and effective work following on from Agogo's simple and effective "I think America is nonsense" and laying the Union Flag over Cody last week.

SCU/Bucks was fantastic, might be the match of the night for me. I think we all knew it was always gonna end in a Bucks victory, but I wasn't expecting that :) I reckon AJ's been on a group Whatsapp with the gang for weeks if not months :D Daniels played a blinder. The "I'm sorry, I love you" was a nice bit of low hanging fruit, but it was worth plucking none the less :)

PAC and OC started well, I hope OC is ok - you hate to see any injuries. Very excited to see a triple threat and it's gonna mean shithousery a-plenty in Double or Nothing :D

Shoutout to that Hangman/Dark Order bit - it's so daft and enjoyable

The Pinnacle in-ring bit seems a little out of place for my tastes - gorgeous girls and flashy bling is just boring to me and such an uninspired way to show off success. However, another Stadium Stampede - bring it on. Is it the right time to wrap up the Inner Circle and let them go their own ways? I think Sammy's well over as is Santana and Ortiz. Hager's just sorta there - I've never had much interest in him. Jericho's probably got some (long overdue and rescheduled) touring to do with Fozzy I think, so he might be absent for some time.

Great sit-down spot with Britt and JR too, these sorts of bits are great. Does anyone think Shida is retaining?

Finally, Miro and Darby - it was a great match. Very glad to see they gave Darby as much fight as they did and that they didn't just have Miro ragdoll him around the place and get an easy win. I'd like to see Miro/Archer in the not too distant. I guess we'll have Page/Sky vs Darby/Sting at Double or Nothing.

Great episode though, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Isn't strange that NWA title matches are still happening on AEW even though NWA is back on tv?

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted but it's a strange one no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Lot of great stuff here.
    Really dug the IWGP US title match. Shame the OC/Pac match had to call an audible but they called it on the fly very well. He really seemed to hop his head on the Liger Bomb, hope he's in the clear for DON. Miro vs. Darby was what it needed to be, got serious Zangief energy from Miro.
    Agree though that he needs to ditch the moniker and theme. SCU vs. Young Bucks was excellent as well.

There were some things I'm a bit mixed on, mostly minor.
    Don't like Moxley's Wild Thing entrance. Don't think it suits him. I know it's an Onita nod but I don't think it works.
    The Pinnacle/IC feud seems a bit done and the whole MJF segment could have done with a trim tbh, he's great but a lot of the time it feels like a bit more brevity would work a lot better. Had the opposite problem with other parts.

They really rushed the end of SCU, you couldn't give them a moment? Same with Miro with the TNT title, feels like they could have hung on that visual a bit longer and got rid of the Dark Order run-in or whatever that was at the end.
    The less said about Cody's promo the better, the absolute drizzles and I'm not necessarily a Cody hater but serious cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It's odd how Cody comes across on TV as he's super funny and likeable in real life and from what you see of him on Sammy's Vlog. Will be up at the crack of dawn Monday to try secure tickets for all the shows at the end of the month. Should be a great time!

Is it just me that isn't loving the double or nothing card so far? Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying Dynamite lately but the card isn't grabbing me atm.

Enjoyed Dynamite last night. Hated the pinnacle inner circle segment though and Cody's "big announcement". Just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I loved everything about the US championship match, the presentation from the start gave it a big match feel. I marked out seeing Ren Narita on Dynamite, was half expecting Shooter Umino to be back with Mox as well. Loved Eddie rocking the DMX shirt too.

Another very good episode from AEW, the main was so good, easily Miro's best performance for the company. The Cody announcement was cringeworthy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Is it just me that isn't loving the double or nothing card so far?
    I do think it's a lesser card. Hadn't really thought about it until now though.
    I can't fault them too much as they've had some massive matches lately that they could easily have saved for DoN but put it out on free tv which is admirable.

I do wonder what the Stadium Stampede will be with fans in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cody harping on about how having a mixed race child is a babyface move (huh?!) is only made funnier by the fact Anthony Ogogo is himself a mixed race man.

I loved the Cody promo. It was pure pandering waffle but thought it was very entertaining.

Got Ogogo over as a threat too.

These are great a nice mix of Kayfabe & Real interview.

• Advertisement

Beat the sh1t out of each and then have a beer.

https://twitter.com/nagata769/status/1393105165079629825?s=20

Advertisement