Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I work late evenings, and I look in the vending machines when I'm hungry for a bit of chocolate. I only ever put the money in when it looks like they have packed it badly, and that I'll get two for one. Had a great one last week, two twirls and two small bags of haribo. Bring the stinge hate!

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    My friend who is very well off with a few properties rented out ( no mortgages mind you) including her own home and the granny flat. So not short of a few Bob. Mad for money but tight as a ducks arse. Her cat was knocked down by a car. She rang the DSPCA to say a STRAY cat was knocked down. They came out and took it to the vet and paid large vets bill. She then phoned them up to "adopt" her cat back.

I thought it was a masterstroke in stinge!

Don’t know the DSPCA policy on injured animals. Do they pay external vets to perform emergency services on unknown animals especially when healthy animals are waiting to be regimes?

Do they pay external vets when they have their own veterinary team.

Finally do they pay large medical bills as a charitable organisation when they are extremely tight for money where they don’t know if cat is feral or not and countless animals need to be fed, cared for etc,

As I said I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

My dad owns a few houses and commercial properties on a main street somewhere (not saying where :P ).

A girl rents out one of his premises for a nail and beauty bar. During the lockdown when she couldn't open, my dad let her off with one or two months rent here and there instead of letting her go out of business completely because he always said he is a believer in enterprise and helping businesses, especially small family business. There was a food establishment that approached him about renting a place, he could have turfed her out for not paying rent and gotten someone else in but didn't.

When it opened again, my mam and I went in to get out nails and manicure done ..... and the greedy bitch charged us ! The girl who works there also owns it and she knows well who we are.

You walked in there - not to help a struggling business - but expecting to get your nails is done for free. She could have used that app to make money to pay your dad/feed her family - you are the stingy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Sinus pain wrote: »
    You walked in there - not to help a struggling business - but expecting to get your nails is done for free. She could have used that app to make money to pay your dad/feed her family - you are the stingy one.

Her Father let her off a few months of rent, how is this a difficult one? I'd expect them to show some gratitude. They have already helped a struggling business by letting them off a few thousand pounds! And no-one is required to 'help a business' that is more North American nonsense that needs to be cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Her Father let her off a few months of rent, how is this a difficult one? I'd expect them to show some gratitude. They have already helped a struggling business by letting them off a few thousand pounds! And no-one is required to 'help a business' that is more North American nonsense that needs to be cut out.

They probably literally cannot afford to give people freebies after being out of work for most of the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I know a guy living near Phoenix Park, NCR end.
    He buys frozen fish with breadcrumbs, because its cheaper.
    Then he hacks off all the breadcrumbs before cooking it.
    Takes him about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Takes him about an hour.

Did you tell him ot would be faster to cook the fish first and then peel the breadcrumb coating off?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

My friend who is very well off with a few properties rented out ( no mortgages mind you) including her own home and the granny flat. So not short of a few Bob. Mad for money but tight as a ducks arse. Her cat was knocked down by a car. She rang the DSPCA to say a STRAY cat was knocked down. They came out and took it to the vet and paid large vets bill. She then phoned them up to "adopt" her cat back.

That was horrific, I would have reported her as there are some genuine people out there who need help with vet bills. Hope they charged her a very large adoption fee.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Don’t know the DSPCA policy on injured animals. Do they pay external vets to perform emergency services on unknown animals especially when healthy animals are waiting to be regimes?

Finally do they pay large medical bills as a charitable organisation when they are extremely tight for money where they don’t know if cat is feral or not and countless animals need to be fed, cared for etc,

As I said I don’t know.
    They used to use the services of the Irish Blue Cross. My sister is a vet and she worked for the IBC after college, but I think they only have one full-time vet — the rest work on an ad-hoc basis. Or, that used to be arrangement with the DSPCA.

Veterinary pay is shïte anyway, and drugs are cheaper than human medicines, it's usually very old/generic stuff, so it wouldn't be astronomical money you're talking about.

Not sure if this belongs in the stingy thread, but one thing that bothers a lot of vets is when people bring injured birds, mangled hedgehogs, feral cats etc to private practices and expect the vet to treat the animal, gratis, like an A&E. Nobody gets paid for that work, unless it goes through the local SPCA or the Irish Blue Cross.

It's quite common, and people usually think the vet can claim back theexpenses like some kind of animal medical-card. Most vets are happy to oblige, but there's a limit to how often you can reconstruct a hedgehog's pelvis!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i learned my stinge lesson. i didnt want to pay 2 euro cloakroom nightclub fee so i handed in my coat as a lost coat. come 3am go to pick up my coat by explaining i had lost my coat and if someone handed it in. told that i couldnt and given a number to ring. number rang out during the week. came back a couple of weeks later early in the night to see if they would be more amenable to me looking for my coat. never got it back, but still save the 2 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

He let her off one or two month's rent (so probably one) not a few. He didn't do this out of kindness, he did it because it made business sense. His losses would have been far greater getting a new tenant in not to mention the reputation he would have earned. Giving a freebie would be a terrible idea to such self entitled muppets, they'd be dropping in forever to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Katgurl wrote: »
    He let her off one or two month's rent (so probably one) not a few. He didn't do this out of kindness, he did it because it made business sense. His losses would have been far greater getting a new tenant in not to mention the reputation he would have earned. Giving a freebie would be a terrible idea to such self entitled muppets, they'd be dropping in forever to take advantage.

They probably only go in when they have a ladder in their tights so they can claim that the tights were torn on a chair and get the price of a new pair back as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Thats genius

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Keyzer wrote: »
    Thats genius

As someone who treats my cat like another child, I think it's disgusting.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It is pathetic and I would be mortified to admit that to anyone if it was my cat but I thought it was going to be much worse. As in it was going to cost 100 euro to fix the cat but 80 euro to get it put down and she went for the 80 euro option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Its a genius idea... you have to admit that.

Disgusting behaviour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

joeguevara wrote: »

As I said I don’t know.
    I don't think they're as tight for money as they make out..also would the woman not have had to go through the adoption process, home checks etc. And adoptions aren't free anymore either. Presumably the cat wasnt chipped! :D that'd be an awkward conversation. I'm skeptical about them calling out too tbh. But agree it's the ultimate stinge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Same. I had a cat once who climbed into the car engine and shattered his leg on the fan belt. He was lucky he didn't lose his head tbh. Local vet said they could save him but they'd need to amputate the leg for 300. Or we could take him to an orthopaedic surgeon and get a plate put in for 900 or something. At the time I was so broke but I managed to beg and borrow to get it together for surgery. I couldn't look at the fecker hopping around the rest of his life for the sake of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Takes him about an hour.

And then you can sprinkle the breadcrumbs over an ice cream on a stick....
    ...and voila, you have a “Brunch”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I work late evenings, and I look in the vending machines when I'm hungry for a bit of chocolate. I only ever put the money in when it looks like they have packed it badly, and that I'll get two for one. Had a great one last week, two twirls and two small bags of haribo. Bring the stinge hate!

Thats not stinge - that's theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

I know a lad who disposes of all rubbish either in the fireplace or down the jax to avoid bin charges

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Piehead wrote: »
    I know a lad who disposes of all rubbish either in the fireplace or down the jax to avoid bin charges

Surprised he doesn't do what I see so many doing these days, full shopping bags, back packs full of rubbish into street bins....

Was talking to a council worker and he was saying there are people disposing of bricks, sheds etc where they put in bits at a time, obviously cut down to fit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Someone in the UK must have seen this thread.

Microchipping pet cats will become compulsory under a wide-ranging new animal welfare plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Surprised he doesn't do what I see so many doing these days, full shopping bags, back packs full of rubbish into street bins....

Was talking to a council worker and he was saying there are people disposing of bricks, sheds etc where they put in bits at a time, obviously cut down to fit.

There's a road where I live, and I'm not sure what happened but on a turn one morning appeared a big load of rubbish. Like enough rubbish it appears a trailer broke or something and it tipped it's load.

The following day, when people obviously realised the council were going to have to come and fix the mess there suddenly appeared about 20-30 extra bags where people obviously saw an opportunity to bin their rubbish for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RebeccaK21

Cork Lass wrote: »

Thats not stinge - that's theft.

No it's not, chances are someone else has paid for it and the thingy hasn't rotated fully to release their item.
    I tried to buy a bar at work from the machine and it got stuck, so I stuck in another euro, figuring that the second would push the first down too. It didn't, and I didn't want to be stingy and borrow another euro from somebody, so abandoned it, was fuming :mad:. Hope the next person enjoyed their 3 twixes for the price of one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

RebeccaK21 wrote: »
    No it's not, chances are someone else has paid for it and the thingy hasn't rotated fully to release their item.
    I tried to buy a bar at work from the machine and it got stuck, so I stuck in another euro, figuring that the second would push the first down too. It didn't, and I didn't want to be stingy and borrow another euro from somebody, so abandoned it, was fuming :mad:. Hope the next person enjoyed their 3 twixes for the price of one
    The vending machines in my former work place would cop if your selection did not drop and leave you in credit until you did get your item or ask for your coins to be returned (not all vending machines may be created equal though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s scummy and becoming a real problem..

I live near a big green, there is a council bin on each corner, seemingly permanently now stuffed with household rubbish in shopping bags and people have left bags of household rubbish beside the bins... I’m out for a walk over the weekend and was attacked by two or three wasps as I passed the stinking heap.... :rolleyes: scummers...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m out for a walk over the weekend and was attacked by two or three wasps as I passed the stinking heap.... :rolleyes: scummers...

Bit unfair. #wasplivesmatter

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bit unfair. #wasplivesmatter

I’m waspist, I hate em. Evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m waspist, I hate em. Evil.

No flies on you boy.

Advertisement