Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kayaking

Options
  • 18-03-2021 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Anyone know if your allowed to kayak in the vartry lake in roundwood Co.Wicklow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

a little late for responding, but I'm pretty sure it's not permitted to kayak on vartry reservoir. 

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

YakerK wrote: »
    a little late for responding, but I'm pretty sure it's not permitted to kayak on vartry reservoir. 

I have kayaked there, on an office activity day organised by Tiglin (or maybe Kippure) "adventure" centre. Its not the most exciting of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

I was having a look at this, and there's very little info online. The only place where it's directly addressed is on trip advisor, oddly enough. A poster claims no water crafts of any description on the reservoir.

Nothing 'official', though, and nothing like you have for the Blessington lakes, with a form to fill if you want to get on the water

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Michael420

cletus wrote: »
    I was having a look at this, and there's very little info online. The only place where it's directly addressed is on trip advisor, oddly enough. A poster claims no water crafts of any description on the reservoir.

Nothing 'official', though, and nothing like you have for the Blessington lakes, with a form to fill if you want to get on the water

Seen that aswell , took the kayak out as seen kayaks on the lake earlier that day and nothing
    was said to us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

athlone573 wrote: »
    I have kayaked there, on an office activity day organised by Tiglin (or maybe Kippure) "adventure" centre. Its not the most exciting of places.

Off topic but if your username is based on your location, where would you recommend for kayaking around Athlone?! I'm going to bring mine down with me when I visit my folks in 2 weeks time - I'd been planning on launching at Coosan point and exploring around there. My 5yo will be with me so won't be going too far either way!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Off topic but if your username is based on your location, where would you recommend for kayaking around Athlone?! I'm going to bring mine down with me when I visit my folks in 2 weeks time - I'd been planning on launching at Coosan point and exploring around there. My 5yo will be with me so won't be going too far either way!

Launch at Coosan and turn right heading up towards Wineport Lodge. Take the first right turn into Coosan Lough and it's lovely and quiet with lots to explore. Good fishing too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Launch at Coosan and turn right heading up towards Wineport Lodge. Take the first right turn into Coosan Lough and it's lovely and quiet with lots to explore. Good fishing too :-)

So I didn't quite make it up that far on Saturday! My 10yo nephew decided he was joining us so the 3 of us just pootled around closer to Coosan Point for an hour or so. The conditions were perfect though, water was smooth as glass. Only negative was all the jet skis launching while we were there, disturbing the peace.

Went back out again yesterday morning but spent more time swimming than in the kayak, it's an amazing amenity I wish I had made more of when I was younger.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Only negative was all the jet skis launching while we were there, disturbing the peace.

Yeah, I hear you. Unfortunatley the popular spots are plagued with jet skis and they don't seem to give a flying fook about kayakers. They are supposed to slow to 5 knots as they pass (as are power boats) to keep the wake to a minimum. You really need to find lakes where the boy racers are banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luckypenguin

I love this activity . really

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IrishDon

Hi There

Any advice on Kayaking down the Boyne river - Good starting points - would like to finish close to Drogheda if possible. Thought the Slipway at Horse lane might be a good finish but not sure of where I can join upriver from Oldbridge hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There's a carpark here that I've gone from before.

Otherwise Slane.

The usual provisos

Less than 3 never shall be

Wear approriate bouancy

Plan your trip

Be able to swim

Would add one small one to the above (goes with plan your trip)

Watch the Boyne this time of year.

A couple days rain and it can rise considerably

Advertisement