Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ratzinger - "Christians most persecuted religious group in the world"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

JimiTime wrote: »
    left all your rhetoric and nonsense for dust, and some of you looking dim.

...dim? Really? I'm tempted to report that post just for the incredible offence it has caused me! Ow Woah is me! Oh I'm being persecuted so!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

PDN wrote: »
    The restriction is against all religious instruction of under-18s. Therefore it applies to all Bibles (and Korans etc).

That's quite a good idea. Genius even, allowing young minds to form before bombarding them with fairytales.

It's like the one good thing about China, previously I had no positive impressions of the place.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

What I have said is that on matters of conscience (including those informed by religious views) there is a limit to how much we should obey the State.

Surely even you must be willing to admit this is something which has been abused in the past and continues to be abused by religious people worldwide.
    Obvious examples of this would conscientious objectors who disobey the State when it commands them to fight in wars, or concentration camp guards who refused to obey orders to execute Jews.

How'd that work out ?

gottmuns.jpg

It's amazing how you can only think of good examples isn't it ?
    I draw your attention to the following:
    We are against the alliance between the church and politics, or any politics intermingled into the church.

Oh good.
    We are against the church’s dependence on foreign political powers for its growth.

Oh hang on a second. Didn't a certain priest or pastor from the other forum go to China regularly causing the authorities to take notice of him and his activities ?

Nicely phrased with 'foreign political powers' though as opposed to 'foreign' anything else. One of the party's main objections to independent unregistered churches is precisely that, meeting with foreigners and foreign organisations.
    We are against the church’s participation in any activities that undermine solidarity of national people groups or the unification of the state.

Like the one child policy which is quite arguably necessary for China at this time ? Or setting up independent unregistered churches against the laws of the state ?

That's quite a good idea. Genius even, allowing young minds to form before bombarding them with fairytales.

It's like the one good thing about China, previously I had no positive impressions of the place.

Unfortunately it's not entirely true. He likes to say things like this are true to get others to hop on the propaganda bandwagon.

It's not true in all provinces in China, or at very least it is ignored in some. The Chinese girl I work with isn't sure if it's illegal or not, she just knows she went to sunday school when she was in her mid-teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

monosharp wrote: »
    In your and their opinion,it is part and parcel of their religion.

I'm not going to argue whether it is or isn't part of christianity with you because all I have to do is point out the millions of Christians to whom it is NOT part and parcel of their religion.

If it was something that was actually integral to the religion then I could agree with you. But clearly, it is not. .

If they see something as part of their religion then it is. :rolleyes:

So you are arguing that, if someone's religious belief is that something is vitally important and essential to them, then that does not qualify as being integral to their religion? Do you really want to go down that intellectual cul-de-sac?
    Why don't you answer the question ?
    Because it's a dumb question and a red herring. I'm discussing persecuted Christians, not Fred Phelps.
    Can a church in Ireland be set up and not register itself with anyone ?
    Yes, of course it can. Done it myself. It's called freedom of religion.
    What are these requirements they claim to be opposed to ?
    Here's some of them:

1. The requirement that the State be the governing body of the Church.
    2. The requirement that church leaders and workers must be approved by the Religious affairs Bureau, and no one is allowed to preach unless issued a licence by that Bureeau.
    3. The requirement that they relinquish the principle of secularism (church/State separation).
    4. The requirement that religious activities can only be conducted in designated places.
    5. The requirement that are forbidden to preach outside the zone to which their license applies.
    5. The requirement that under-18s may not receive religious instruction or be members of the church.
    6. The requirement to abstain from preaching from certain portions of the Bible (eg the Book of Revelation).
    So this woman is a communist propagandist ? http://www.internationalministries.org/missionaries/99
    If you say so, although she seems fine to me.
    And your insistence on falsely claiming this as religious persecution is absurd.
    I think it's pretty reasonable that when people practising their religion are arrested for not registering with the Religious Affairs Bureau that it should be classed as religious persecution. :pac:

• Advertisement

Surely even you must be willing to admit this is something which has been abused in the past and continues to be abused by religious people worldwide.
    Yes, as is democracy, freedom of speech and a host of other good things.

Do you really want to argue that any principle that can be abused is wrong?
    How'd that work out ?
    It worked out quite badly for my friend's father. He ended up in a concentration camp himself.
    It's amazing how you can only think of good examples isn't it ?
    Yes, because in a discussion about what would be the most moral course of action we all try to think of bad examples, don't we? :rolleyes:
    Oh hang on a second. Didn't a certain priest or pastor from the other forum go to China regularly causing the authorities to take notice of him and his activities ?

Nicely phrased with 'foreign political powers' though as opposed to 'foreign' anything else. One of the party's main objections to independent unregistered churches is precisely that, meeting with foreigners and foreign organisations.
    Thankfully, in the circles I move in, xenophobia is not normally considered a virtue.

Entertaining visitors from overseas isn't quite the same as being controlled by foreigners - although I guess anything is possible in the mind of someone who portrays people praying together as "anti-State acivities".
    Like the one child policy which is quite arguably necessary for China at this time ? Or setting up independent unregistered churches against the laws of the state ?
    Actually, I've never heard a church in China teaching against the one child policy. But I find it revealing that you would describe such a policy as "Quite arguably necessary for China at this time". I don't think there's ever going to be much danger of anyone describing you as a libertarian, is there?

If they see something as part of their religion then it is. :rolleyes:

So any government with a law against a religions belief which the adherents consider as part of their religion makes that law religious persecution ? Yes or No ?
    Because it's a dumb question and a red herring. I'm discussing persecuted Christians, not Fred Phelps.

How is it a dumb question ? You are making an argument for these christians in China. I am asking you what your opinion would be of a similar situation in the US with members of another christian church.

This is the third time you have been asked now. Are you going to answer or not ?
    Yes, of course it can. Done it myself. It's called freedom of religion.

So you have no insurance ? No planning permission ? No electricity ? No phone ? No water ?
    Here's some of them:

Link ? Source ? Evidence ?
    1. The requirement that the State be the governing body of the Church.

Oh really ? You aren't mis-phrasing it are you ?
    2. The requirement that church leaders and workers must be approved by the Religious affairs Bureau, and no one is allowed to preach unless issued a licence by that Bureeau.

Seems fair enough to me.
    3. The requirement that they relinquish the principle of secularism (church/State separation).

What page of the Bible is this on again ?
    4. The requirement that religious activities can only be conducted in designated places.

Whats wrong with that ?
    5. The requirement that are forbidden to preach outside the zone to which their license applies.

Same as 4. Whats wrong with it ?
    5. The requirement that under-18s may not receive religious instruction or be members of the church.

As I said earlier. Unless my friend is greatly mistaken and she received illegal instruction than that doesn't apply everywhere.

And you still haven't provided a link to some evidence of it. I can't find any.
    6. The requirement to abstain from preaching from certain portions of the Bible (eg the Book of Revelation).

Evidence ? Proof ? Source ? Link ?

Here's the list from the FAQ I linked to earlier.
    What are the six requirements for registration?
    1-2) The congregation must have a fixed place and name.
    3) There must be citizens who are religious believers regularly participating in religious activities.
    4) They must have a management organization composed of citizens who are religious believers.
    5) They must have persons meeting the requirements of the particular religious group to lead religious services.
    6) They must have their own legal source of income.
    If you say so, although she seems fine to me.

Well that's the woman that wrote the FAQ you claimed was communist propaganda.

So is she or is she not ? Is she telling the truth or are you ? Because what your saying and what she is saying are incompatible.
    I think it's pretty reasonable that when people practising their religion are arrested for not registering with the Religious Affairs Bureau that it should be classed as religious persecution. :pac:

Yes yes everything is religious persecution when it's your group suffering from it isn't it PDN.

Have you got a belief about not paying taxes too ? or is there a belief for special discounts at Tesco for Christians ?

It worked out quite badly for my friend's father. He ended up in a concentration camp himself.

Sorry to hear that.
    Thankfully, in the circles I move in, xenophobia is not normally considered a virtue.

Come on now you know I didn't suggest it was. I stated it was and continues to be a part of the party's mentality. They are xenophobic.
    Entertaining visitors from overseas isn't quite the same as being controlled by foreigners - although I guess anything is possible in the mind of someone who portrays people praying together as "anti-State acivities".

To the suspicious minds of the party you really think it's that different ?
    Actually, I've never heard a church in China teaching against the one child policy. But I find it revealing that you would describe such a policy as "Quite arguably necessary for China at this time". I don't think there's ever going to be much danger of anyone describing you as a libertarian, is there?

I'm a realist and the reality is that there are too many people in China. You either fix the problem now or have a bigger problem later.

So any government with a law against a religions belief which the adherents consider as part of their religion makes that law religious persecution ? Yes or No ?

No, it is reasonable to allow an exception where the exercise of a religious belief or practice would cause a greater infringement of human rights for someone else. Female genital mutilation performed on children would be a good example of this.
    This is the third time you have been asked now. Are you going to answer or not ?
    No, because it is a dumb question and a red herring. I think Phelps is an ass and have no interest in indulging your fascination with him. Although, given your anti-libertarian comments so far, I can see why you like him.
    So you have no insurance ? No planning permission ? No electricity ? No phone ? No water ?
    You have actually lived in Ireland, have you? You don't need to be registered with any government department to do any of those things.

In fact, there is no mechanism in Irish law for a Church to register as a religious body. It can choose to incorporate as a company or a charity if it wishes - but not as a church.
    Seems fair enough to me.
    Your true colours are really shing through now, aren't they? You think it fair that no-one should be allowed to preach in a church unless they have been approved by the State?
    What page of the Bible is this on again ?
    Now you're deliberately pretending to be stupid. You really think that something is not a religious belief unless you can show what page of the Bible it is on?
    Whats wrong with that ?
    It is a denial of a basic human right. I should be free to pray and discuss the Bible with others in my home if I wish. I am amazed that anyone except a fascist would think otherwise.
    Yes yes everything is religious persecution when it's your group suffering from it isn't it PDN.
    I have never made such a claim, and you a liar for implying that I have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I see, so in your opinion it is 'certainly arguable' that a State should deny its subjects the right to practice their faith as outlined by the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    If your ultimate guide to good behaviour is the list of items enshrined within the UDHR, then should I presume that you approve of the serial child abuse that happens within the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints, since that particular outfit's view of "religious freedom" is that the (exclusively male, of course) church leadership should marry as many pubescent girls as they can get their grubby mitts on?

Or, like me, do you believe that some people abuse the right for personal or political gain?
    robindch wrote:
    Well, in the past you've said -- you'll forgive me if I can't find the post -- that you believe that the rules of your religion are more important than state law.
    That's a complete distortion of what I've said. What I have said is that on matters of conscience (including those informed by religious views) there is a limit to how much we should obey the State. Obvious examples of this would conscientious objectors who disobey the State when it commands them to fight in wars [...]
    Why thank you for illustrating my point so neatly! Believing that the state law only applies where one thinks it should, a solider can legitimately refuse to fight. One can certainly understand why a country might be concerned that the ranks of its army might evaporate owing to a "matter of conscience".
    I find it interesting that you would try to twist that view [...] in order to score cheap points in a discussion.
    This isn't a twisting of your view, and especially one done to score cheap points. On the contrary, it's to point out, as you do yourself, one of the possible direct results of your view.

Either state law is the final authority, or it is not. In the case of members of your religion, it isn't. And one can understand why the chinese government doesn't much like this.
    I'd certainly be interested to hear how 'China for Jesus' squares its belief that it should stay outside of politics, with what I presume is its view that soldiers shouldn't have to fight if they don't want to.
    Ah, so when you said, "And fundamentalist christianity and chinese communism view themselves as absolute authorities, both competing -- violently if necessary -- for brainspace within the chinese population." what you really meant was that one side competes violently by inflicting violence on others, while the other side competes violently by having violence inflicted on them.
    Not at all. Your friend came very close to suicide by cop. Violence is violence whether it's carried out directly, or, as it was in this case, carried out by invitation and subsequently used as rather appalling propaganda.

And that's quite apart from the choices that the preacher forced onto his own 14-year old daughter. If you don't see violence in a parent requiring their kid to make that kind of hideous choice, then your understanding of the word "violence" encompasses far less than mine.
    That's quite an Orwellian use of language. Is there a College somewhere that teaches you how to do that?
    I believe that most religious colleges cover the twisting of language until it breaks during their "hermeneutics" courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Unfortunately it's not entirely true. He likes to say things like this are true to get others to hop on the propaganda bandwagon.

It's not true in all provinces in China, or at very least it is ignored in some. The Chinese girl I work with isn't sure if it's illegal or not, she just knows she went to sunday school when she was in her mid-teens.

Darn.

No, it is reasonable to allow an exception where the exercise of a religious belief or practice would cause a greater infringement of human rights for someone else. Female genital mutilation performed on children would be a good example of this.

So if a religious belief is against human rights for example, the right for a woman to choose abortion if pregnancy endangers her life, then it is not persecution to have a law against it ?
    No, because it is a dumb question and a red herring. I think Phelps is an ass and have no interest in indulging your fascination with him. Although, given your anti-libertarian comments so far, I can see why you like him.

Translation: I don't like Christian X so I won't support him but I like Christians Y so I'll support them.
    You have actually lived in Ireland, have you? You don't need to be registered with any government department to do any of those things.

Well first of all I didn't say register with the government. I said register with anyone. And secondly I'm pretty sure you have to register yourself with the government on some level.

Open to correction though.
    Your true colours are really shing through now, aren't they? You think it fair that no-one should be allowed to preach in a church unless they have been approved by the State?

Why not ? With the amount of crazies preaching from pulpits some kind of filter is needed.
    Now you're deliberately pretending to be stupid. You really think that something is not a religious belief unless you can show what page of the Bible it is on?

No I think that you pick and choose whatever your religious beliefs are or are not depending on what you want to gain.
    It is a denial of a basic human right. I should be free to pray and discuss the Bible with others in my home if I wish. I am amazed that anyone except a fascist would think otherwise.

Tell me something PDN.

Do I or do I not have the right to go about my daily business without having to listen to some nonsense monger going on about his or her imaginary friends ?

Just answer this honestly will you.
    I have never made such a claim, and you a liar for implying that I have.

You refuse to answer the question about religious beliefs violating other laws such as spousal abuse in the UK and whether or not those laws are then persecution laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

smokingman wrote: »
    ...dim? Really?

Yep, astoundingly so. That and blinkered. Report away.

So if a religious belief is against human rights for example, the right for a woman to choose abortion if pregnancy endangers her life, then it is not persecution to have a law against it ?

Persecution to have a law permitting abortion? Of course not.
    Translation: I don't like Christian X so I won't support him but I like Christians Y so I'll support them.
    No, the translation is that I'm discussing the topic of this thread, namely the case of Christians who are being persecuted - not Fred Phelps.
    Well first of all I didn't say register with the government. I said register with anyone. And secondly I'm pretty sure you have to register yourself with the government on some level.

Open to correction though.
    Well apparently you're not open to correction since I've told you the facts and I should know since I've established a number of churches in Ireland. Our laws are what you would expect in a liberal secular democracy. There is no more registration required to establish a church than there is to establish a Mary Harney fan club or a fantasy football league.
    Why not ? With the amount of crazies preaching from pulpits some kind of filter is needed.
    Because of free speech. Most of us, but apparently not you, think even crazies should have the right to speak if others are willing to listen to them.
    Tell me something PDN.

Do I or do I not have the right to go about my daily business without having to listen to some nonsense monger going on about his or her imaginary friends ?

Just answer this honestly will you.

That depends where you are. If you are in your own home, or another private place, then you or whoever owns the place has the right to determine what is or is not spoken there.

But you do not have the right to censor others in public settings, not unless you are willing for others to equally silence you if they don't agree with your what you have to say.

And, what is much more relevant to what we are talking about, you absolutely do not have the right to enter someone else's property and demand that they refrain from discussing whatever they want to talk about.

It's quite simple really. Some of us support free speech and others support the totalitarian suppression of any speech they find annoying or disagreeable.
    You refuse to answer the question about religious beliefs violating other laws such as spousal abuse in the UK and whether or not those laws are then persecution laws.
    I haven't refused at all.

Domestic abuse is in itself a denial of someone's basic human rights, Therefore laws to prohibit domestic abuse are not persecution, even if the abuser claims a religious motivation.

smokingman wrote: »
    ...dim? Really?
    Yep, astoundingly so. That and blinkered.
    Do try to avoid the arm-waving personal insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

So looking over this thread, something occured to me with respect to what PDN said the pope actually meant. The pope said:
    It should be clear that religious fundamentalism and secularism are alike in that both represent extreme forms of a rejection of legitimate pluralism and the principle of secularity.
    If he was using the normal, modern meaning, that would imply that the pope was claiming that secularism in politics is the equivilent of fundamentalist religious oppression ie christians no longer have complete power, therefore they are being oppressed.
    However, PDN says he is using ye olde meaninge of secularism(e), it being defined as:
    being the principle that life is best lived without any reference to religion or deities whatsoever.
    ie secularism as a personal thing, individuals removing religion from their own life.

So according to PDN, the pope is saying that 200-300million christians are persecuting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

robindch wrote: »
    Do try to avoid the arm-waving personal insults.

Ok, some of the posts have come across as dim and blinkered. Can I use that loop hole :pac:

Ok, some of the posts have come across as dim and blinkered. Can I use that loop hole :pac:
    Not a loophole -- do check the rules. By all means, call a post dim and blinkered, but not a poster.

Let off this time for good behaviour, and the fact that it's winterval week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seeing as we're now into the Christmas game 'Decipher the Pope', heres the actual message, in full.
    http://press.catholica.va/news_services/bulletin/news/26567.php?index=26567&lang=en#TESTO IN LINGUA INGLESE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

This just in, Religious post in "loophole" shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

So looking over this thread, something occured to me with respect to what PDN said the pope actually meant. The pope said:

If he was using the normal, modern meaning, that would imply that the pope was claiming that secularism in politics is the equivilent of fundamentalist religious oppression ie christians no longer have complete power, therefore they are being oppressed.
    However, PDN says he is using ye olde meaninge of secularism(e), it being defined as:

ie secularism as a personal thing, individuals removing religion from their own life.

So according to PDN, the pope is saying that 200-300million christians are persecuting themselves.

It's not even that clear cut - take the Pope's quote:
    the pope wrote:
    It should be clear that religious fundamentalism and secularism are alike in that both represent extreme forms of a rejection of legitimate pluralism and the principle of secularity.

Note how he equated religious fundamentalism with secularism.

Even if you take this definition of secularism:
    being the principle that life is best lived without any reference to religion or deities whatsoever.

I fail to see how you can equate that with religious fundamentalism only, I would have said that most religious people (not just the fundamentalists) would agree with the statement:

life is best lived with a reference to religion or deities.

So even this "outrageous" definition of secularism is in no way stronger than any practicing Catholic would believe for their own faith, once again the religious are quick to call beliefs "extreme" when they are merely mirrors of their own beliefs.

It's perfectly possible to hold the belief "life is best lived without any reference to religion or deities whatsoever" while being respectful of others practicing their religion.

Well apparently you're not open to correction since I've told you the facts and I should know since I've established a number of churches in Ireland. Our laws are what you would expect in a liberal secular democracy. There is no more registration required to establish a church than there is to establish a Mary Harney fan club or a fantasy football league.

Again. I refer you back to my question, I didn't say register yourself as a church or as a religious body. I simply said register yourself to anyone.
    Because of free speech. Most of us, but apparently not you, think even crazies should have the right to speak if others are willing to listen to them.

Like Jim Jones ? You don't think it would have been nice to have some kind of filter there to stop people like him been allowed to gain such a position ?
    But you do not have the right to censor others in public settings, not unless you are willing for others to equally silence you if they don't agree with your what you have to say.

So according to you I must listen to this nonsense on public transport and in public parks etc. ?

Forgive me If I'd be more then happy to have something similar to China's law in this respect implemented worldwide.
    And, what is much more relevant to what we are talking about, you absolutely do not have the right to enter someone else's property and demand that they refrain from discussing whatever they want to talk about.

Absolutely agree. But it isn't religious persecution.
    It's quite simple really. Some of us support free speech and others support the totalitarian suppression of any speech they find annoying or disagreeable.

Some religious evangelists in public areas are some of the most rude people I have ever met. They will not leave people alone. They need to be told several times to go away.

You really think it's perfectly fine for religious people to go around like this mentally abusing people ?
    Domestic abuse is in itself a denial of someone's basic human rights, Therefore laws to prohibit domestic abuse are not persecution, even if the abuser claims a religious motivation.

So the Universal Declaration of Human Rights trumps any religious text or religious view ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

[...between 200 million and 300 million Christians...] face daily threats of murder, beating, imprisonment and murder and a further 350-400 million encounter discrimination in areas such as jobs and housing.

Surely a wild exaggeration? What on earth is he on about,

I know it wasn't JR who said the quote above, but I so think Ratzinger is going senile at this stage. Talks increasing amounts of gibberish every time he opens his mouth these days.

Again. I refer you back to my question, I didn't say register yourself as a church or as a religious body. I simply said register yourself to anyone.
    Then you're just playing silly word games since we were discussing the laws in China that require churches to register with the Government, not with the milkman.
    Like Jim Jones ? You don't think it would have been nice to have some kind of filter there to stop people like him been allowed to gain such a position ?
    No, I think that governmental restriction of free speech such as you advocate is totalitarian. This is not just in respect to religion, but also to politics, vegetarianism, and a host of other subjects.

The best antidote to people like jim Jones is open and honest debate, not govermental control.
    So according to you I must listen to this nonsense on public transport and in public parks etc. ?
    If you prefer you can have a system where nobody is alllowed to talk to anyone about anything on public transport or in parks. But to advocate that you should be free to talk about what you like, but that others should be restricted from doing so, is the hallmark of a bigot.
    Forgive me If I'd be more then happy to have something similar to China's law in this respect implemented worldwide.
    Of course you would. That wish you've just expressed is entirely consistent with your totalitarian tendencies and bigotry. I wouldn't expect anything different from you.
    Absolutely agree. But it isn't religious persecution.
    It is religious persecution if you allow people to meet in their homes for other purposes but not for religious activities. It definitely becomes religious persecution when you set up a Religious Affairs Bureau to regulate such activities by force.
    Some religious evangelists in public areas are some of the most rude people I have ever met. They will not leave people alone. They need to be told several times to go away.
    Well don't worry, you'll soon be in China where you can report them to the police and soothe your poor offended feelings by imagining how sorry they'll feel once their toenails are pulled out.
    You really think it's perfectly fine for religious people to go around like this mentally abusing people ?

No, nor do I think it's fine for you to post ****e on the internet. But I think the principle of free speech is important enough to defend their right to mentally abuse you and also to defend your right to mentally abuse the people on boards.ie who don't like listening to apologists for the Communist regime in China.
    So the Universal Declaration of Human Rights trumps any religious text or religious view ?
    It should when it comes to framing the laws of a nation State, yes. That's why I believe in a secular society with freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of the press. Unlike you I would not advocate or support laws to silence those with whom I disagree.

Then you're just playing silly word games since we were discussing the laws in China that require churches to register with the Government, not with the milkman.

Well then you didn't understand my point.

There are some people who think any kind of registration is against their beliefs, yet the government isn't going to allow me to build a house tomorrow without planning permission.

Is that religious persecution ?
    No, I think that governmental restriction of free speech such as you advocate is totalitarian. This is not just in respect to religion, but also to politics, vegetarianism, and a host of other subjects.

I have the right to go about my day in peace, not having to listen to deluded fools holding crosses. It's a violation of my rights to a peaceful existence.
    The best antidote to people like jim Jones is open and honest debate, not govermental control.

That's quite arguable.
    If you prefer you can have a system where nobody is alllowed to talk to anyone about anything on public transport or in parks.

I didn't say that. I said I had the right to go about my day in peace.

Purposely soliciting people to join cult X or trying to sell people product Y in public places such as the subway should not be allowed. I am just as much against the people trying to get you to buy things as I am against the christian evangelist.

There's a difference between free speech and trying to lure people into a cult/religion or getting them to buy things.
    Of course you would. That wish you've just expressed is entirely consistent with your totalitarian tendencies and bigotry. I wouldn't expect anything different from you.

Trying to lure people into various religions by walking up to them in public areas is basically spamming, just face to face. That should not be allowed.
    It is religious persecution if you allow people to meet in their homes for other purposes but not for religious activities. It definitely becomes religious persecution when you set up a Religious Affairs Bureau to regulate such activities by force.

And yet you still haven't answered any of my questions regarding that FAQ.

So is that woman, the Rev., a communist propagandist or not ?
    Well don't worry, you'll soon be in China where you can report them to the police and soothe your poor offended feelings by imagining how sorry they'll feel once their toenails are pulled out.

How many times in your opinion do I have to tell someone to 'please leave me alone I do not want to listen to you' before they should leave me alone ?

Don't you think it should be illegal to continue to annoy someone even after they have asked you to leave them alone ?
    It should when it comes to framing the laws of a nation State, yes.

What if it changes next year to disagree with one of your articles of faith ?

Well then you didn't understand my point.

There are some people who think any kind of registration is against their beliefs, yet the government isn't going to allow me to build a house tomorrow without planning permission.

Is that religious persecution ?
    No-one has said that any kind of registration is against their beliefs. What was stated was that "the requirements for registration" as a church are contrary to their consciences.

Now, instead of admitting that fact, you are going down the route of arguing that, in your opinion, these requirements should not be against their consciences. It's utter crap as an argument. Instead of understanding that people's freedom of religion is being free to live and act according to their religious beliefs and consciences - you are arguing as if freedom of religion actually means that people are free to live and act according to what monosharp, as a very biased atheist, thinks their beliefs and consciences should be.

And that's why there's no point in engaging with the rest of your post. You are trying to hijack this into an argument about whether the Chinese underground churches should hold the beliefs that they do about registration.

So I don't see where there is any point in further discussion. I have expressed my view that there are millions of Christians around the world who live in fear of being beaten, arrested or murdered. Ratzinger, despite his organisation's less than glorious record in the past when it comes to freedom of religion, has said something similar.

Most atheist posters have questioned whether such abuses of freedom of speech and freedom of religion really happen with the frequency alluded to by Ratzinger. That is a fair question, and one with which I have attempted to engage. You, however, have chosen the very different path of arguing that restricting freedom of speech and freedom of religion is a good thing.

To be honest, now that you've done your bit of justifying the Chinese government's actions, and even expressed your wish that their policies could be extended worldwide, I don't see any value in discussing any of this further with you. It would be no different from trying to discuss race relations policy with someone from the English Defence League.

Now, no doubt you will start up with, "Ah look, PDN is refusing to answer my questions." If that's the way you want to read this then I guess I can't do anything about that. But I genuinely want to have as little interaction with people like you as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

The pope may be right, but they deserve it.

Religion, and christianity in particular, has been the underlying cause for every war. The sooner we all move to atheism and simple mutual respect, the better we will all be. Religion is nothing more than accepted cults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Living in fear of being persecuted is not the same thing as actually being persecuted. All I can see is the thread being derailed onto a different issue altogether. At the end of the day, the pope and the spokesperson both made erroneous sanctimonious announcements and given that they hold themselves in such high regard, these mistakes should be pointed out and criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

The pope may be right, but they deserve it.

I don't know how you could actually believe that...
    Religion, and christianity in particular, has been the underlying cause for every war.

This is simply factually wrong.
    The sooner we all move to atheism and simple mutual respect, the better we will all be. Religion is nothing more than accepted cults.

Not really. If religion were to be kept a private thing and didn't interfere negatively in other peoples lives, there is nothing wrong with it. I still wouldn't be religious but I wouldn't care if other people were.

Retarded posts like these give ammunition to theists when it is an opinion held only by a few atheists who do not represent the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Improbable wrote: »
    I don't know how you could actually believe that...

Quite easily.
    This is simply factually wrong.

Try and specify a war that does not have a religious undertone, you will struggle.
    Not really. If religion were to be kept a private thing and didn't interfere negatively in other peoples lives, there is nothing wrong with it. I still wouldn't be religious but I wouldn't care if other people were.

I don't care either.
    Retarded posts like these give ammunition to theists when it is an opinion held only by a few atheists who do not represent the majority.

I could care less what theists think of my statement, they've been getting it wrong for over 3,000 years.

Advertisement