Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How will you vote in the Marriage Equality referendum? Mod Note Post 1

Options
1329330331332333335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

Marriage is between two people now. Marriage will be between two people whether this referendum passes or fails. So voting Yes or No this time has nothing to do with polygamy.

If you want to marry several women and a gay penguin, go ahead and start a campaign to have a referendum on that issue.

Meanwhile, why would you deny your gay fellow citizens the right to marry by voting No this time?

But why the limitation on 2? What is so special about 2 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

RedPaddyX wrote: »

Because that's what is legal at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Special is having zero wives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

It would require a reworking of a lot of legislation. Everything is from the perspective of 2 people splitting things 50:50.

With multiple people can they get married one by one or do they need to be married as a group? Is everyone married to everyone else or does John mary Ann and Mary but Mary and Ann arent married?

The referendum is to allow 2 people to marry regardless of their genders. Nothing is preventing a referendum on polygamy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Why just 'people'? What is so special about people?

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    Because that's what is legal at the moment.

So are you personally ok with extending this to multiple persons if it came up as referendum next year? You care about equality afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What is special about 2 people is that that is the current definition of marriage. Similarly, marriage is between two humans at present, no other species are allowed. Changing this would also require a referendum.

So a guy, three girls and a gay penguin is right out, and you'll need to start a campaign for change if that is what you want.

But it is nothing to do with the current referendum.

So are you personally ok with extending this to multiple persons if it came up as referendum next year? You care about equality afterall.

I'd have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Herp derp

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Surely those interested in a polygamous marriage would support the ssm as apart from anything else it gets them a step closer. There is no polygamous relationship that doesn't involve same sex interaction.

I doubt anyone bringing it up are actually interested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

Marriage is between two people now. Marriage will be between two people whether this referendum passes or fails. So voting Yes or No this time has nothing to do with polygamy.

If you want to marry several women and a gay penguin, go ahead and start a campaign to have a referendum on that issue.

Meanwhile, why would you deny your gay fellow citizens the right to marry by voting No this time?
    Why just 'people'? What is so special about people?

Consent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Yeah Id be in favour too. Why not? If Truples or Quadruples or Octuples want to marry who am I to stop them?

Ill bet itd be very complicated to arrange legally though so probably wont ever happen.

It would require a reworking of a lot of legislation. Everything is from the perspective of 2 people splitting things 50:50.

With multiple people can they get married one by one or do they need to be married as a group? Is everyone married to everyone else or does John mary Ann and Mary but Mary and Ann arent married?

The referendum is to allow 2 people to marry regardless of their genders. Nothing is preventing a referendum on polygamy.

Yes totally agree. But my point is this referendum is therefore not really about equality. In the words of a yes campaign, "there is no such thing as nearly equal"

What you are attempting to do is so glaringly obvious and even if it weren't we've been through this almost word for word in this thread and in others.

The referendum is not about 'equality' as some abstract total goal. If it were it would surely about the abolition of marriage in its entirety.

So glib, so shallow. So pseudo-intellectual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Yes totally agree. But my point is this referendum is therefore not really about equality. In the words of a yes campaign, "there is no such thing as nearly equal"

Everyone is equally denied polygamous marriages.

We've already gone over this. Just because it doesn't include every single bit of equality issues ever to exist, doesn't mean it's not still about equality.

It creates equality between homosexual and heterosexual couples. If everything had to be made equal at the same time for it to be equality there would be no such thing as equality.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Yeah Id be in favour too. Why not? If Truples or Quadruples or Octuples want to marry who am I to stop them?

Ill bet itd be very complicated to arrange legally though so probably wont ever happen.

Ok fair enough. Thanks for at least honestly answering my question. I have to admit I'm surprised but I agree it's the logical and coherent conclusion if you one is in favour of redefining it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Is this like the way the Suffragettes and the African-American Civil Rights Movement couldn't be said to have been looking for equality, because they didn't resolve every single legal issue, for everyone, ever?

Great reasoning sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

"Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex"

Those are the exact words with which you will be deciding yes or no. Again, it has nothing to do with polygamy. But of course, you already know that.

• Advertisement

Ok fair enough. Thanks for at least honestly answering my question. I have to admit I'm surprised but I agree it's the logical and coherent conclusion if you one is in favour of redefining it this time.

No it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm beginning to wonder the few new reg posters who are looking for polygamy rights are all actually sitting at home beside each other right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The thread is over 10k posts, so I've set up a second thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95391600

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement