Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Attending a wedding, seamaster gets a rare outing (hoping this pic doesn’t turn out too big)

NfEiH0Rh.jpg

^ future classic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Wibbs,

I love the Zenith pilot’s watch, especially the onion crown. I can only imagine the shame felt among the other watch owners.

The Lip looks like it would seriously attract an architect type. Would not suit me for many reasons but the quirky “hi tech” styling is so 1980s.

Your taste is certainly eclectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    ^ future classic

The only thing knocking is they made a boat ton of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Was the Zenith originally a fob?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Was the Zenith originally a fob?
    No S, but I can see your thinking because of the long stem on the winding crown. And there are a fair number of Ukrainian "specials" that have been made up as fakes of these from pocket watches.

This was a design of the early 1930's for pilots watches that nearly every Swiss manufacturer produced. Particularly popular in Europe. The English speaking world tended to go for smaller watches. The usual features were circa 40mm case, usually plated brass(the Zeniths also have a soft iron ring to ward off magnetism), fixed ribbon lugs(so you swap out a long strap to go over a flight suit), rotating bezel(the first in watches) with pointer, large crown to wind/set while wearing gloves, black radium dials and the better quality examples had larger pocket watch movements for accuracy. The time only examples were usually sub second dial layouts, the centre second was the rarer.

484561.jpg

Helvetia made a lot of these and would be the more commonly seen survivors today. Some more recent research suggests they were still producing them into the 1960's, when they would have looked decidedly old fashioned.
    Helvetia_300.jpg

German WW2 fighter ace Adolf Galland wearing one.

484562.jpg

My one again with a German issued wrist compass of the same period.

484565.JPG

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Wow Wibbs I love the wrist compass.

Cool watch stuff and an education in horology, this must be the one actual useful forum on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A simple 'no' would have sufficed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I was in Arnhem today (A Bridge Too Far) and saw this watch in the museum. One for Wibbs to educate us on, perhaps. Hopefully these photos come through ok.

484601.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was in Arnhem today (A Bridge Too Far) and saw this watch in the museum. One for Wibbs to educate us on, perhaps. Hopefully these photos come through ok.

That's actually wibbs in the second photo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A simple 'no' would have sufficed :D
    Banned! :mad: :D
    Cienciano wrote: »
    That's actually wibbs in the second photo
    and you an all. :D
    Looks like a Moeris ATP British issued watch. ATP = Army Trade Pattern. Similar specification to the German army issued DH watches and the Swiss sold to both(with the notable exception of Rolex who wouldn't sell to the nazis)

7490804_xxl.jpg?v=1

Nice little watches and the easiest of the ATP series to find. Here's one on ebay for under 300 quids.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wow Wibbs I love the wrist compass.
    Thanks R. Yeah it's pretty cool alright. I'm currently reading a great book on the crashes of allied and axis aircraft on Irish soil during "The Emergency", entitled Luftwaffe Eagles over Ireland and on one page it has one of these compasses recovered from one such incident and mine beside it. :) Still works too.

484602.jpg

In the pic above the watch and the compass are sitting atop the tailwheel from a Junkers JU87 Stuka dive bomber(they were also fitted to FW 190's). Damn thing can still hold air in the tyre...

And of course what would I be wearing today only the watch worn by the guys on the other side of the Bridge Too Far...

484607.jpg

Pretty much the opposite number of the ATP watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Always wanted a Tag, bought this a few weeks ago

484682.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hi, I want to buy a watch, my first one I've ever spent more than probably 35 euro on! I saw some minimalist ones I liked the look of, Daniel Wellington, but did a search on boards and saw a thread saying they're only a fashion watch, and that something like Tissot or Orient would be better. Budget about 200-250.

I saw these on Amazon and I'm wondering if they are legit, because they're a fair bit cheaper than I would have thought, like nearly 50% cheaper than I would have thought, any input appreciated, thanks :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orient-Japanese-Automatic-Leather-Calfskin-FAC0000EW0/dp/B072K5JSF5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orient-Analog-Japanese-Automatic-Leather-FAC00005W0/dp/B01MXPSU8R/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=orient+bambino&qid=1562627340&s=gateway&sr=8-8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

They are indeed legit and the price would be in line with the expected cost of a Bambino.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

You could also check out creation watches for a price comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

IMG-20190708-202150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Ionised

New arrival.

Zen2.jpg

Sometimes it is the small details.

Zen1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ionised wrote: »
    New arrival.

Nice, I want something with "presage" written on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

IMG-20190711-080801.jpg

The continuing story of me wearing oddball stuff nobody else would.. :D It's rare to be fair, even rarer in working order and NOS, but delicate and as prone to damage as a butterfly's wing. In a cement mixer.

485035.jpg

I only bring it out a few times a year so it is preserved for the future. I love that it vibrates on the wrist and the seconds hand is smoooooth.

The crown is on the backplate like some of the Bulova Accutrons. Never mind all that, it was the watch world's only cybernetic movement*. CybereffinNetic. Game over. I was sold. Cos me.

They go for around the 1500 quid mark if you can find a working one. Longines themselves don't have a working one. Two styles, my example and one where the seconds hand goes under the dial markers as it sweeps. Very cool. Really only a museum piece TBH. Very delicate to impacts and the time and wear on some components. I believe there's a chap in Germany can repair them, but yeah not really practical, so only for the oddballs. *ahem*

Daftly expensive when new in 71-72, around the 1000 quid mark when an Omega Speedmaster was under 200, though cheaper than the Swiss Beta 21 quartz which was more like 1500 and the Seiko Astron was double that again. Clearly a bargain. :D Even came with free insurance for the first two years of ownership.

The only replacement part listed was the entire movement, which was built by hand from the miniaturised components normally found in hearing aids(which by their very nature were made as small as tech would allow). The quartz crystal was hand cut from natural Brazilian quartz and hand tuned with microscopic slivers of gold leaf to 9350 Hz(if that blows you're boned) under a microscope. When we think of battery watches today the tech is almost entirely produced by machine processes for the obvious reasons of cost, reliability and scalability.

I love that this is a relic of a time when the tech was new and some were still attempting it by hand using the old labour intensive watchmaking skills of working in miniature. To think at the time this was actually considered a "cheaper" way to produce the new fangled quartz watches, because it didn't use a "silicon chip" which were mad money on their own and supply was patchy. It likely made sense back then(these were first prototyped in 1966) as it kept things more inhouse and less reliant on Motorola or whomever and could repurpose their existing highly skilled staff into the new tech.

*IE the electro mechanical circuit is slaved to the quartz circuit and the latter tweaks the former in an internal feedback loop when it goes out of true. I suppose an atomic radio signal watch might be similar, though at a remove. An atomic watch would be as the display would be quartz driven with the atomic bit regulating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ionised wrote: »
    New arrival.

Nice, I want something with "presage" written on it
    Is it a black dial?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What year was the Longines made, did you contact them about it Wibbs? Definitely in the hen's teeth/rocking horse pooh rare category. Nice one.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Wibbs wrote: »
    The continuing story of me wearing oddball stuff nobody else would.. :D It's rare to be fair, even rarer in working order and NOS, but delicate and as prone to damage as a butterfly's wing. In a cement mixer.

I only bring it out a few times a year so it is preserved for the future. I love that it vibrates on the wrist and the seconds hand is smoooooth.

The crown is on the backplate like some of the Bulova Accutrons. Never mind all that, it was the watch world's only cybernetic movement*. CybereffinNetic. Game over. I was sold. Cos me.

They go for around the 1500 quid mark if you can find a working one. Longines themselves don't have a working one. Two styles, my example and one where the seconds hand goes under the dial markers as it sweeps. Very cool. Really only a museum piece TBH. Very delicate to impacts and the time and wear on some components. I believe there's a chap in Germany can repair them, but yeah not really practical, so only for the oddballs. *ahem*

Daftly expensive when new in 71-72, around the 1000 quid mark when an Omega Speedmaster was under 200, though cheaper than the Swiss Beta 21 quartz which was more like 1500 and the Seiko Astron was double that again. Clearly a bargain. :D Even came with free insurance for the first two years of ownership.

The only replacement part listed was the entire movement, which was built by hand from the miniaturised components normally found in hearing aids(which by their very nature were made as small as tech would allow). The quartz crystal was hand cut from natural Brazilian quartz and hand tuned with microscopic slivers of gold leaf to 9350 Hz(if that blows you're boned) under a microscope. When we think of battery watches today the tech is almost entirely produced by machine processes for the obvious reasons of cost, reliability and scalability.

I love that this is a relic of a time when the tech was new and some were still attempting it by hand using the old labour intensive watchmaking skills of working in miniature. To think at the time this was actually considered a "cheaper" way to produce the new fangled quartz watches, because it didn't use a "silicon chip" which were mad money on their own and supply was patchy. It likely made sense back then(these were first prototyped in 1966) as it kept things more inhouse and less reliant on Motorola or whomever and could repurpose their existing highly skilled staff into the new tech.

*IE the electro mechanical circuit is slaved to the quartz circuit and the latter tweaks the former in an internal feedback loop when it goes out of true. I suppose an atomic radio signal watch might be similar, though at a remove. An atomic watch would be as the display would be quartz driven with the atomic bit regulating it.

Wow, that's quite a piece.
    It's like the old longitudinal speedo in US cars!

Lovely to have a genuine piece of history, even if it is an evolutionary dead end. Put it with your Betamax video player and 3DFX graphics card.

blue5000 wrote: »
    What year was the Longines made, did you contact them about it Wibbs?
    I haven't contacted them. I must. The serial says 71, but their serial number system changed in the late 60's IIRC so things can get a bit funny after that. They didn't appear in any catalogues at the time that I can find and didn't seem to have been built in any great numbers.

Longines were part of the Swiss group which contained pretty much all the big names, Omega, Longines, Rolex, Patek and a dozen others who came up with the Beta 21 quartz movement by pooling resources because of the massive costs involved at the time. Beta 21's with Longines on the dial are even rarer again, rarer than even the Rolex ones(which are real beauties of case and strap design). I missed out on one a few years back for 800 quid. There was some bad blood among the other Beta 21 partners when Longines came out with the above UltraQuartz on their own and by surprise.

Probably the daftest movement ever squeezed into a watch case...
    485064.jpg
    Tiny wires and components hand soldered in.

Girard Perregaux and JLC had gone their own way from the start and came up with the most successful and forward thinking of the Swiss quartz movements, half the price of the others, more accurate, more robust and the battery lasted over a year(if you get six months from the Longines you'd be lucky). On that note one of mine needed a new battery this very morn(Renata 344 for these and many other early quartz).

485067.jpg

Job done. On wrist, ready for the day :)

485068.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

[/SIZE]

Great insight into a very interesting watch, thanks for sharing

• What are your sources for watch info and history wibbs? Have you picked it all up gradually over the years or have you a horology qualification if there is such a thing, and if you don't mind me being nosey?

(This thread makes me want to take a horology course)

Picked it up gradually over the years M. I have one of those memories where once something of interest to me goes in it tends to stay put, so that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Picked it up gradually over the years M. I have one of those memories where once something of interest to me goes in it tends to stay put, so that helps.

I have one of those memories too, Wibbs!

Unfortunately it was f all use being able to quote the Godfather word-for-word, when Paper 2 was asking about Juno and the Paycock and Othello :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement