18-01-2010, 23:19   #46

hello all. I am building a garden shed and was wondering where I could get pressure treated shiplap timber at a good price

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
20-01-2010, 00:30   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
Try here, I used to buy veneer from them , a few years ago

http://www.abbeywoods.ie/

kadman
I am looking for wood to build a fence, does not have to be fancy, reclaimed or second hand or seconds, can any one help, pallets would be useful if i can obtain them, hopefully cork or kerry
26-01-2010, 00:43   #48

Hi All
I am very new to this forum but hopefully you can help. I am putting in a garden gate with a stone wall entrance.

So far prices for manufactured gates are extortionate for nice sheeted hardwood gate. I was thinking about making a powder coated steel frame and screwing 1" planed rebate or tongued hardwood to the frame (no studs showing to the front). I have seen one or two versions of this and with the correct timber nicely treated they can look great.

My question would be what is the best timber to use and where is the best place to get it. I would like a teak effect. I have used rebated kerwick for and old lorry body restoration but it looks dull and doesn't sand very well.

many thanks in advance
16-02-2010, 23:30   #49
tabby aspreme

teak or cedar are good outdoor woods oak is also good and turns a nice silvery grey colour if left untreated outdoors, what part of the country are you hoping to source the wood in
Thanks from:
08-03-2010, 23:04   #50

Heya,

Lads I'm looking for exotic hardwoods (pink ivory, ambonya etc)
Anyone know of anywhere that could possibly stock these or even order them in for me?
I've asked in McQuillans but they sorta just gasped at me. Looking to turn jewellery out of it.

Anywho any leads would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
09-03-2010, 10:51   #51
Alun

You could try http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk.They have Pink Ivory, no Ambonya (don't even know what that is ) though.

If you're looking for small (i.e. long, thin) pieces, searching through the pen blanks might result in cheaper results, otherwise just look in the woods section.
Thanks from:
10-03-2010, 20:42   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabby aspreme View Post
teak or cedar are good outdoor woods oak is also good and turns a nice silvery grey colour if left untreated outdoors, what part of the country are you hoping to source the wood in
Anywhere in leinster / west munster
29-04-2010, 09:13   #53
flynnboy

Hardwood in NW ?

Hi

Does anyone know of any hardwood suppliers in the NW - Donegal/Sligo/Leitrim general area ?

Alternatively any makers/Cabinet Makers professional or hobbyists who use hardwood and can make bellows cheeks for me ?

Cheers
21-05-2010, 15:07   #54
antoinolachtnai

Send a message via AIM to antoinolachtnai Send a message via Yahoo to antoinolachtnai
I am looking for some wawa/obeche about 5-10 7 ft boards, depending on width, for a bench in a sauna. I am in Dublin city centre.

Kantor have it in Kilbeggan, and they seemed helpful and co it sounds like very good value, but I don't know when I'll get to make the trip, and their delivery charge would be quite high.

Morgans have it on their website but don't have it although it is on their website. Haven't seen any for years apparently.

Brooks in Sandyford and Bluebell didn't have it, although Bluebell suggested I try their locations in Sligo and Cork.

Any other ideas?

Antoin.
Advertisement
08-07-2010, 14:51   #55
E.A.P

Hi
Need both softwood and hardwood for acoustic guitar project. About 5mm thick and 200mm wide. Looking for stiff boards with straight tight grain, quarter sawn with as few runouts as possible. See before buying preferred.

Looking for supplier in Ireland. Closest I can find is England.
08-07-2010, 15:02   #56
antoinolachtnai

Send a message via AIM to antoinolachtnai Send a message via Yahoo to antoinolachtnai
I bought what I needed (see above) from Kantor in Kilbeggan. Very good, friendly service and what seemed to me like good prices. Delivery cost to Dublin was 45 euros. You would probably need to go to their yard to make sure you were happy with what they have.
19-07-2010, 10:13   #57

Hi folks,

I'm going to build a few built-in wardrobes and a large bookcase - I'm looking for good suppliers for sheet materials, doors etc. Woodworkers in Terenure looks good, but the old adage "price around" springs to mind!

Do you guys know of any other suppliers with similar stuff to Woodworkers? I want to compare and get the best deal.

Thanks,
John.
04-10-2010, 17:06   #58
ennisa

brooks in balbriggan

Hi,
Went up to brooks in balbriggan today to get some hardwood and the hardwood dept is now closed and all the hardwood is now done out of the branch in bluebell of the naas road. Also they used to cross cut the hardwood for me so that i could get it into the car, they no longer do that so I have to cut it by hand in the car park. I'm afraid I will be finding somebody else to get my hardwood from. Abbey woods in baldoyle is probably my next choice. Does anybody know if they will cross cut for your average joe to fit in his car?

cheers all.
12-10-2010, 19:33   #59
fergal.b

Hi I had the same problem, with brooks but now I get it from Mcnally joinery they are on the opposite side of the motorway about 300 yards and take a left. They will cut it and sand it to any size you like and the price is not to bad.

Last edited by fergal.b; 12-10-2010 at 20:49.
Thanks from:
12-10-2010, 20:43   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennisa View Post
Hi,
Went up to brooks in balbriggan today to get some hardwood and the hardwood dept is now closed and all the hardwood is now done out of the branch in bluebell of the naas road. Also they used to cross cut the hardwood for me so that i could get it into the car, they no longer do that so I have to cut it by hand in the car park. I'm afraid I will be finding somebody else to get my hardwood from. Abbey woods in baldoyle is probably my next choice. Does anybody know if they will cross cut for your average joe to fit in his car?

cheers all.
Consider a cordless jigsaw thats compatible with ur existing cordless
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion