28-03-2021, 17:25   #1
Dats_rite

Bowed Oak Plank

HI All,

I never worked with hardwood before and I'm quite new to woodwork. I ordered a 2.2m long, 450mm deep and 25mm think piece of oak. I planned to sand it and treat it and use as top of a built in entertainment unit.

The piece came in early January and I put it in my shed standing longways on the floor, not flat but upright laying longways against a wall.

I didn't do anything with it for 2 months until March and when I went back to it the plank had warped very badly.

Did I store it wrong, should it have been laid flat on the ground? Or should I have just sanded and treated it straight away?

Any advice appreciated....I know it is completely my fault and a rookie error.
Advertisement
28-03-2021, 17:28   #2
Dats_rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats_rite View Post
HI All,

I never worked with hardwood before and I'm quite new to woodwork. I ordered a 2.2m long, 450mm deep and 25mm think piece of oak. I planned to sand it and treat it and use as top of a built in entertainment unit.

The piece came in early January and I put it in my shed standing longways on the floor, not flat but upright laying longways against a wall.

I didn't do anything with it for 2 months until March and when I went back to it the plank had warped very badly.

Did I store it wrong, should it have been laid flat on the ground? Or should I have just sanded and treated it straight away?

Any advice appreciated....I know it is completely my fault and a rookie error.
Pic of the bowed wood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210221_173209.jpg (2.18 MB, 68 views)
28-03-2021, 18:27   #3
recipio

At 2.2 metres long it was never going to stay straight. Uptake of moisture probably contributed to the bowing. There is simply no way you can 'straighten' the board now unless you are willing to plane and thickness it. I'd redesign the unit so that you can cut the board to make it more manageable.From an aesthetic point of view, just sanding the board will still leave a rough surface and not show the full beauty of the grain - of course it you plane it it will reduce the thickness to something like 22mm.

Last edited by recipio; 29-03-2021 at 11:29.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion