Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown purchases you enjoy or regret

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭KathleenF

Rowing machine for sure as best thing I got, but also bought booty bands which I never used. Got a skipping rope too which I use intermittently and just got a 20kg sandbag too as my new toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I bought a 24kg kettlebell at the end of the first lockdown and a 28kg recently. I work away from home a fair bit and used to use hotel gyms while travelling, the kettlebells have completely replaced the gym and I don't think I will set foot in one again when they reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rustynutz wrote: »
    I bought a 24kg kettlebell at the end of the first lockdown and a 28kg recently. I work away from home a fair bit and used to use hotel gyms while travelling, the kettlebells have completely replaced the gym and I don't think I will set foot in one again when they reopen.

What's your routine if you don't mind me asking.
    I'm a big fan on KBs. But only ever use them as a supplementary routine

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Iguarantee

Mellor wrote: »

Keith Weber has a superb series called “Extreme Cardio Kettlebells” which can absolutely kick your ass. Don’t let the gimmicky name fool you, it’s legit.

I'm doing Strongfirsts Simple and Sinister, basically 10 x 10 swings and 10 Turkish getups, followed by a little bit of martial arts training, and a good stretching routine.

Do that twice a week, cycle or mountain bike around 30k twice a week and do 1 session of 5x5 strength training in my home gym on a Saturday morning.

I'm in my forties and spent years in the gym 3 times a week, I've no interest in building muscle anymore, just want functional strength and flexibility to help keep me moving and enjoying krav maga into my old age 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rustynutz wrote: »
    I'm doing Strongfirsts Simple and Sinister, basically 10 x 10 swings and 10 Turkish getups,

A good stuff. That is/was my routine too.

Sounds basic. But there always a heaver kettlebell.
    The guys doing it with 48kgs. :eek: Savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bread mixer, used it like once.

Maybe they were carb loading

A good stuff. That is/was my routine too.

Sounds basic. But there always a heaver kettlebell.
    The guys doing it with 48kgs. :eek: Savages.

I agree, I'm only on 28kg swings and TGU's at the moment so 48kg seems like a world away!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Was it too heavy to lift ?

Haha, no it was just making the dough, it was messy then you have to wait for the dough to rise, after you should knead the bread again and wait for it to proof. Then finally bake it. It was delicious but the efford isn't worth when bread is very cheap anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Bought a hybrid last year wasn't sure if id get back in the saddle or not.
    Loved it so much, bought aroad bike this year!

Non fitness related but bought a bird table and birdseed that has given me immense joy & entertainment while WFH and peering out the window at my feathered friends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I got a pair of Sabo deadlift shoes for Christmas as a present, and since this thread has gone fairly open I'm going to throw out there that they turned out to be really good.

You measure your foot on an A4 sheet of paper and the length of your foot corresponds to a chart for sizing (It translates it into which of the Russian sizes is best).

The Sabo is kind of like a minimalist sneaker but it's quite lightly constructed, it's got a cross strap and an ankle strap and laces, and a thin flat sole. The lightness of it means that when you cinch the straps shut the shoe feels like it genuinely does get nicely tight. Where with the weightlifting shoes I've owned, I kind of find that the cross strap is only half effective, because the lower part of the shoe is (necessarily) rigid and overbuilt. Only the instep bit gets tightened. Whereas the Sabo feels like it pulls in at the side too.

Anyway, if someone wanted a pretty cheap shoe for home training I think this would be good for any kind of general resistance training, including the dumbbell and kettlebell stuff folk are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

KathleenF wrote: »
    Non fitness related but bought a bird table and birdseed that has given me immense joy & entertainment while WFH and peering out the window at my feathered friends.

How do you deal with the fecking crows though? I know they all have to eat, but those feckers just do a 'smash and grab'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I got a pair of Sabo deadlift shoes for Christmas as a present, and since this thread has gone fairly open I'm going to throw out there that they turned out to be really good.

You measure your foot on an A4 sheet of paper and the length of your foot corresponds to a chart for sizing (It translates it into which of the Russian sizes is best).

The Sabo is kind of like a minimalist sneaker but it's quite lightly constructed, it's got a cross strap and an ankle strap and laces, and a thin flat sole. The lightness of it means that when you cinch the straps shut the shoe feels like it genuinely does get nicely tight. Where with the weightlifting shoes I've owned, I kind of find that the cross strap is only half effective, because the lower part of the shoe is (necessarily) rigid and overbuilt. Only the instep bit gets tightened. Whereas the Sabo feels like it pulls in at the side too.

Anyway, if someone wanted a pretty cheap shoe for home training I think this would be good for any kind of general resistance training, including the dumbbell and kettlebell stuff folk are doing.

I have a pair myself and I never use them. Much prefer to deadlift in my socks. I certainly wouldn’t use them for any other kind of training. Very very light sole in them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Cill94

Got a pair of these recently myself and I'm also a big fan.

Wore converse or vans for years for all my non-squat training but they get wrecked so quickly. Sabos feel a lot closer to barefoot but also more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How much were they? Have toyed with the idea of getting a pair for a long time.

I have a pair of the Reebok CF Lite high tops that a friend left when he was emigrating and they've a lovely sole but I hate high tops

There’s some nice ones with new styles/colours on eBay for around 50 euro, but the postage is close to another 50

The ones I have are these:-

https://www.strengthshop.ie/sabo-deadlift-grey.html ... Around 70 euro. I got them before shipping in from the UK became a headache though, there may be better places to buy them now.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There’s some nice ones with new styles/colours on eBay for around 50 euro, but the postage is close to another 50

Some of the variety on eBay

• Advertisement

I probably need to make room in the press. Imelda Marcos would think I'd gone OTT with the amount of oly shoes I have

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Bought a MTB bike and am getting ten hrs full body workout fun a week in Union wood and the new bike park in Sligo. Kept me sane learning a new skill set. I am even looking at a full suspension one now

Haven’t had one single crow but am inundated with starlings and have a regular pair of magpies. I’m using bird feeders designed for small birds (finches, tits etc) and getting food they like, eg sunflower hearts, nijer seed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Bought a cheap turbo just before the real lockdown last March.
    Bought a chinup bar last January
    Bought a shed last summer and took a third for a "weight room"....... space for mirrors, dumbbells etc.
    Bought bands before Christmas this year.

I regret nothing......

Bought a cheap turbo just before the real lockdown last March.
    Bought a chinup bar last January
    Bought a shed last summer and took a third for a "weight room"....... space for mirrors, dumbbells etc.
    Bought bands before Christmas this year.

I regret nothing......

Not even the mirrors??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Not even the mirrors??

Ha
    Ah I find them good for form, especially for overhead stuff
    Also had to get better bike posture - used the turbo to get myself better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

pull up bar for doorframe, as long as I know I can do wide grip pull ups handy enough I feel like I'm in decent shape

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Netflix

I have a reminder set on Rogue EU to grab one of the Rogue Westside Scout reverse hypers. Folding niche bit of Louis Simmons kit for the shed gym? Sold.

• Advertisement

I have a reminder set on Rogue EU to grab one of the Rogue Westside Scout reverse hypers. Folding niche bit of Louis Simmons kit for the shed gym? Sold.

Reminded me of this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMzxpwdAhY9/?igshid=1rro4qhidol78

Advertisement